Edit Anime Information

Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Specials

English: The Tatami Galaxy Specials
Synonyms: Yojo-Han Shinwa Taikei, Yojou-Han Shinwa Taikei, Yojohan Shinwa Taikei
Japanese: 四畳半神話大系

Duration: 7 min. per ep.
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

Jan 3, 2012
Yukariki (All reviews)
I love the Tatami Galaxy; it is a unique absurdist work based on college campus life with the visuals of Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei and reminds me of a great Natsume Soseki's work called Sanshiro. If you enjoy unconventional and artsy works, I advise you to check it out.

And now, I begin my actual review of the specials by saying one word:

What.

I am not entirely sure what to expect from the specials in the first place. The show concludes well and there is no need to dive into the relationship dynamics of the male and female lead; it is even more surprising for the studio read more
Sep 13, 2013
destinyunknown (All reviews)
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei is one of the best anime series I have ever seen, thanks to its combination of a realistic story (for the most part), its original art and all the ideas it was trying to transmit. However, to my disappointment, the specials included with the DVD version were nothing like the 'main' series.

These 3 shorts episodes follow the main characters from the show telling some weird fantastic stories that feature themselves doing crazy stuff to solve an even crazier problem. It goes without saying that the stories they tell are neither realistic nor have anything to do with the plot of the read more
Sep 30, 2015
FullmetalCowboy (All reviews)
Critic’s Log - Supplemental Review: The Tatami Galaxy Specials

I must say that I was not aware of the Specials for The Tatami Galaxy and I will just make this quick.

The first Special “Land Submarine, to the South Pole” is very strange and it really is not as visually appealing like the series.

The second Special “Land Submarine, to the Women’s bath ~Bed Chamber Investigation Team’s Rose colored search~ looks sloppy and it is pointless.

The third and final Special “Land Submarine of Love and Fishing” is okay I suppose.

Gee, a short review this was… Well, even though these specials were made after The Tatami Galaxy’s run… read more
Apr 22, 2018
Century_Orion (All reviews)
The original anime was pretty interesting for me to watch, as it seemed pretty unique to other anime from the art styles and dementia-like scenes, but this special had a pretty mediocre story for me to watch.

A story of someone narrating a dream that didn't make much sense isn't a story that I and many viewers would be interested in watching, according to what I've seen and the ratings as well. A rather dull story to watch for a special.

The art was alright. It was the same as the TV series, which was neither really well made or not made well.

The voices read more
Sep 11, 2018
Seyfert (All reviews)
Reviews so far are strange, how could one like the original but shorts that are like a microcosm not? They're simply extras, does one expect a retelling of the original in the length of one episode? How also does it not seem like they simply were trying to be comedic like the original too?

They're just an addendum to a unique series, but that doesn't take away from being their own thing; third short may have been the better one but that doesn't mean they weren't all like a mini-TG (mostly the comedy).

How can anyone say this is 'nonsense' when that is the point of read more
Mar 23, 2019
SlaceTheDark (All reviews)
This will be my review on the 'Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Specials', or just 'Tatami Galaxy Specials'. First of, the Specials are done also my MADHOUSE, so the studio did not change. There are 3 Special episodes in total, each of them lasting around 6 minutes and 40 seconds. So they are not that long, really. I've seen that most reviews here are somehow rather negative and after watching the three episodes I can understand why they would think it but if I share this thought or not, that I will show you now. So let's begin.

Plot/Story: I am honestly not sure where these OVAs read more
May 14, 2017
Thetys (All reviews)
The thing is, because the show concluded so well, the scenarists couldn't find what to make the Specials about... so they just made the main cast tell themselves surreal stories about the "group"... wow... on top of that, the stories aren't "narrated" by the characters who tell it, but instead are animated and voice-acted normally.
So the specials add almost nothing to the series... yeah... very "meh", right?
But! It seems like the 2nd Special references a movie the producers of Tatami Galaxy made. So that's nice I guess. *there's a moment where a character says "the girl of the apple" or whatever: https://myanimelist.net/anime/34537/Yoru_wa_Mijikashi_Arukeyo_Otome

Story: 6 - read more