The pain that everyone cannot escape when living: the living, old, sick, and death. The way to save it is through Buddhist enlightenment. At the end of a war, a prince who obtained the Buddhist enlightenment became the Shaka Nyorai and saved the world. Long time has passed since that, currently the latter age of decadence. Mara, the worry that once tried to destroy Shaka's enlightenment, has made a contract with the devil in order to seek revenge against Shaka. He begins to control people with worries.
Meanwhile, a team centering around Shaka, called the Thirteen Buddhas, and the two benevolent deities who protect the dharma, Taishakuten and Bonten, have stood up to fight against Mara to protect people from worries. A battle between Mara and the Buddhist gods that involves people begins now!
This is a tricky anime to review because on the one hand, I kind of like it. I'm not in love with it nor do I think the story is magnificent but I like it enough. On the other hand, I can't defend this show if people are giving negative reviews because I'll probably agree with them even though I said I somewhat liked it.
The one thing you should know is that Namu Amida Butsu!: Rendai Utena (which I will call Namuami because that title is a mouthful) will be compared to Touken Ranbu Hanamura because both shows pretty much consist of the same
thing: A slice of life anime with handsome men living their daily lives while fighting paranormal enemies. Namuami is different because instead of swords, it revolves around the 13 Buddhas. But, as I said, the comparisons to Touken Ranbu are inevitable so keep that in mind.
Namuami is based on a mobile game (again, like Touken Ranbu) and that alone can either make or break the fans. What's even interesting is that the anime came out first before the game which explains why it doesn't look like it's getting any popularity. At least from what I heard.
The biggest issue I have, while liking the anime, is that it sounds good on paper and maybe even funny, it just feels too stiff. From the characters to the story to the comedy, it all feels empty or stiff. The story is pretty much 80% of the Buddhas living slice of life while the remaining 20% is dedicated to the story and action. There is a story but the slice of life aspect takes over in the six episodes that are out there as of now. There are moments when it seems like there will be some progression to the story only to turn into a slice of life the next second and it's like all the events that have happened before doesn't matter. Which makes the show boring at times. If you're waiting and waiting for any plot development only to have the slice of life aspect take up a good majority of the show, then it becomes boring.
The characters are beautifully designed but that's just it, they look handsome. They suffer from One-Personality-Syndrome where it seems like they don't have any distinct personalities. One of them is a protein loving exercise guy who is kind of clingy to his brother and that's about as much as you will get from him. I don't know if the mobile game will go into detail about their personalities but if it doesn't, then we have nothing but boring characters.
I think what really should've happened was let the game release first then the anime because that way at least the anime would gain some popularity as a result of the game.
Despite the negatives, I do like the anime. I didn't go into it expecting amazing storytelling or thought-provoking characters. I wanted to watch a slice of life anime with handsome anime men and I got that even with all the flaws.