Edit Anime Information

Aired: Feb 25, 2017 to Mar 1, 2019
Licensors: Funimation
Studios: Xebec
Source: Original
Duration: 25 min. per ep.
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

May 11, 2019
Rich-ie (All reviews)
Space Battleship Yamato 2022 is in nearly every way a vast improvement of Yamato 2199.

The first two episodes of Yamato 2199 presented such a stylized visual narrative with infatuating sentimentality. The rest of the show provided this, but the writing completely fell off. The character dynamics were pretty poor, the fights were filled to the brim with Deus Ex Machinas, and many of the themes came off as muddled by the time the show reached the end of its run time.

Yamato 2022 is such a breath of fresh air, because it’s so much more than just stylish and simplistic like the first season. read more
Jun 23, 2019
Akira_Zion_ (All reviews)
Yamato 2199 was great, but not perfect: it lacked action, the pacing could be better and Desler was way worse than his counterparts in almost all versions and remakes of the original anime (except his counterpart in the 2010 live-action), however, the character development and animation, alongside the spectacular soundtrack (remade by Akira Miyagawa, the son of Hiroshi Miyagawa, the composer of the originals OSTs), plot and dialog, made 2199 a great space opera and remake of the original.

Yamato 2202, as a result, was expected to be even greater, bigger and better than 2199, since how great its precursor was and how amazing the original read more
Jun 1, 2019
solidbatman1 (All reviews)
As the credits finally began to roll for the last time of Yamato 2202 and Yamato Yori ai wo Komete played, I felt a sense of relief that this dreadful re-imagining of the 1978 Space Battleship Yamato II had reached its ill fated conclusion. I had gone into 2202 with incredibly high hopes after the spectacular Space Battleship Yamato 2199 introduced me to this wonderful universe. After completing 2199, I went back and watched nearly every single Yamato series and movie (season 3 is the sole exception here with no decent subtitles existing to my knowledge) I could get my hands on, eager to immerse read more
May 28, 2019
kokuborou (All reviews)
Astounding message delievered from this show...Every inch and emotion in my body shivered through these 26 episodes. If you are gonna watch season 2 be prepared for a ride of joy, enjoyment, emotions and some brilliant moments.

Earth again faces a new crisis and our old crew from Yamato must once again embark on a journey in the distant universe to assure a future for Earth. Each encounter and fight holds a meaning and this season gives a lesson to its viewers about the mistakes that our characters did and shows us their path to clear them and make the right choices for their future.

The read more
Sep 18, 2018
MadaoPriest (All reviews)
As I recently finished this show, I felt it was time to give it some love through a small review. This show surprised me in a good way, especially considering the fact that it's based on what's considered one of the best pieces of media in the SBY franchise (Farewell Yamato, and by extension SBY 2).

The core theme of love, signified by the under-title "Soldiers of Love" is brought to life through use of clever directing tricks, an expanded scope granted to the writing of this world (Considering Gamillas survival in 2199 and some other changes from the source, this was an inevitability) by read more
Aug 9, 2018
valarclan (All reviews)
This is a Masterful recreation and EXPANSION on the original Anime series that started the Whole Anime craze we have seen since the 70. The second season in the original series was even better than the first.

The deviation from the original story is by far superior planning, and well executed.

The American voice actors on Funimation are not as dead on as I would hope. For one the Captain sounds a LOT more grizzled in Japanese. In the American actor choice you have someone sounding young.

Now the vast increase of firepower and the extensive explanation, all inter tied in is well read more
Jul 6, 2018
CreeperLava (All reviews)
Since there's just no positive review here, I decided to add my own. It will be short and to the point.

Overall, I'm satisfied by the first 14 episodes of Yamato 2202. It's a good space opera, and I enjoyed watching it. But, I wasn't as thrilled as when I watched Yamato 2199.

The use of 3D to animate battles with thousands of ships is fairly well done as to not become too distracting, but not perfect. The rest of the art is very good.

The music could be called a remix of 2199's. The general themes remain the same, with variations on the instruments.

It has its interesting read more