Edit Anime Information

Pokemon Movie 17: Hakai no Mayu to Diancie

English: Pokemon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction
Synonyms: Pokemon XY: Cocoon of Destruction and Diancie, Pocket Monsters XY: Hakai no Mayu to Diancie, Pokemon XY: Hakai no Mayu to Diancie
Japanese: ポケモン・ザ・ムービーXY『破壊の繭とディアンシー』

Duration: 1 hr. 6 min.
Rating: PG - Children

Apr 20, 2015
Chaotic_beauty (All reviews)
Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction is the first Pokemon film in a while that features some fresh ideas and creative moments. In the vein of the last few, it's also an unambitious work stuck in a rut.

Near the end of the film, there's a great scene with Ash and five antagonists awaking Yveltal. The ensuing attempts to kidnap Diancie and run away from the harbinger of death are joyously written. These scenes make only a tiny portion of the film overall, but they stand out from the cookie-cutter writing we're usually treated with in these films.

The good thing about this one is that read more
Dec 10, 2014
grymdylan (All reviews)
*THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Anyone who knows the Pokemon movies knows that a lot of them are very formulaic, but most still appeal to fans in one way or another. Diancie and the Cocoon of Destiny, however, is different, becoming most likely my least favourite Pokemon film yet.
I watched the Cartoon Network broadcast of the movie, so perhaps that's the reason why, but this movie felt very hurried, and it lacked impact as a result.

The story was very much to the formula of numerous other Pokemon movies. Meet new Pokemon -> Help it achieve its goal -> Uh-oh! Human baddies/Pokemon baddies -> Friendship prevails!
This same old read more
Feb 12, 2015
krisichiki (All reviews)
Before I begin, I need to mention that this movie is probably not for everyone's tastes. You have to be a Pokemon fan to enjoy it. I'm writing this review and rating this movie in terms of how it compares to the other movies of the franchise.

I should also add that the trailer was quite misleading as it had a number of scenes I didn't see in the movie.

Story 5/10
The story isn't anything too special, as it follows the typical formula of the Pokemon movies.

Ash & co. meet Diance, a legendary Pokemon, whom they decide to help out. Diance is looking for Xerneas read more
Feb 24, 2019
Duckielover151 (All reviews)
This one was just a good movie in general. I feel almost like you could take out the Pokémon elements completely and still have the core story of an irresponsible princess growing up into a stronger person, and I really liked that.

But on top of that, there was just a lot going on in this movie, and I think it worked here. There were four different treasure hunters/thieves on top of Team Rocket, and they actually all fit into this movie pretty well. I thought it was an especially nice touch that they each had one of the final evolved forms of the Kalos starters, read more
May 14, 2016
mari7 (All reviews)
Overall 8/10
If you're not a Pokemon fan, then don't jump into the series watching the movies, because generally they're not first-time friendly
======
The plot of Diancie movie wasn't so amazing, but as the first XY series movie, it was good, but not more. Compared to Hoopa movie, it was better though.
Plot 6
The plot was ultimately rather cliche/overused as far as Pokemon movies go. But in this movie, it's the characters (that includes pokemon) that make it enjoyable.
Art 9
As part of the movies, it has more budget for effects, so the already good XY art was amplified to be better temporarily
Sound 8
I'm not sure I remember read more
Mar 30, 2019
Prophet615 (All reviews)
Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction is by no means the worst Pokemon movie I've seen, but considering how long it's been since I've seen a new one it's definitely not the best.

The story isn't bad, but to me it just feels too similar to past movies, Pokemon 4Ever in particular. Diancie can't create a new crystal that can save her home, so she goes off in search of Xerneas to help her obtain that power. It starts off on a high note, but then it starts falling flat. There's a whole chunk of the movie that feels like filler with Diancie traveling with Ash read more