Edit Anime Information

Licensors: None found, add some
Studios: None found, add some
Source: Original
Duration: 1 hr. 30 min.
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

Feb 20, 2013
5camp (All reviews)
Tamala is an anime movie from 2002 animated mostly by 2 guys. It’s split between 2D flash animation and CG animation, shot entirely in black and white and all the characters are anthropomorphised animals. The story follows a cat called Tamala, who leaves Cat Earth and visits a rundown shithole planet so she can do whatever the hell she likes, farting about with her new wimpy hipster boyfriend.

The thing to understand about Tamala is that it’s a very artsy fartsy indie film. It’s a struggle to come up with comparisons in anime because it’s so different, but its directing style reminded me a lot of read more
May 1, 2008
kimmiechan (All reviews)
"Tamala - Punk Cat in Space" is quite a trip, and for any who enjoy this genre, I highly recommend this anime.

Story

Tamala is about a pretty little female Cat, Tamala, who sets off from Cat-Earth on a journey to get to her home planet where she was born, Orion. Along the way her spaceship is damaged and she lands on a Planet, where she meets a male cat Named Michelangelo(Though Tamala keeps calling him MoiMoi). The movie basically follows what happens while Tamala is on that planet.

At first the story sounds very simple, and the animation style can trick an individual into read more
Feb 8, 2017
Lycan (All reviews)
To sum up this film in one word, I would say "jarring." From the themes, imagery, characters, music... It's a very unique piece.

First off, the music was AMAZING and easily my favorite part about this movie. I want to say the animation is lack luster, but considering it was only two people working on it, it's passable. I think this story would have done a bit more justice if it was polished a bit more.

It's a shame the other two were never made. As a stand alone, it doesn't quite appease anyone who's hoping for a conclusive ending. You also have to read more
Oct 20, 2014
gwern (All reviews)
I learned of _Tamala_ from Anime Year by Year's 2002 entry (archived at http://archive.today/bm4So), which describes the work thus:

"Unbeknownst to her, she is genetically engineered to remain eternally young by the conglomerate Catty & Co., formerly the clandestine cult of Minerva, so that she can be used for advertising purposes. Even after she is killed mid-film by a pedophilic dog police officer, she remains 'immortal' with her face plastered over all of Meguro Ward, Tokyo in ads for cigarettes, matchboxes, and other consumables. One of her flings, a cat named Michelangelo (calling himself Professor Nominos later in the film), views the logographic Tamala in the read more
May 29, 2012
EratiK (All reviews)
First review.

Tamala 2010 is pretty much what I would call an experimental movie, likely auto produced. As such, the movie possesses strong points and weak points, which makes it hard to give it an overall mark.

Looking for qualifiers, I first thought of "cyberpunk", but the visual simplicity makes it barely adequate here (compare to Tetsuo), plus the usual cyberpunk questionning of existence also lacks. Tamala nevertheless has a punk attitude, and is akin to a somewhat dreamlike SF black and white Happy Tree Friends (without the gore).

That said, the mix is quite effective, and would probably have been awesome if not for read more
Dec 14, 2016
snapler (All reviews)
Rate of 3(Poor)
seen via english subtitles

Scif.i has a tendency of involving time warps and such but i never imagined a shows plot could be as equally warped! They take random things and throw it into the plot. Sometimes the cut to scenes of people talking but is unclear if theses are more random people or the same couple that keeps taking because they never focus on the characters. Instead the camera focuses on the legs, shows them in dark light, yadada.

Sound, was a joke. Using the same couple i mentioned the voices which are supposed to be of two individuals to me came read more