MyAnimeList.net

Feb 25, 2013
Dogs: Bullets & Carnage (Manga) add
Wintear
A solid seinen with an original, gripping plot. What more could I ever ask for.

(Spoilers ahead!) Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, a manga where the story seems so very simple. When in actuality, when you get far enough, can confuse you. That's how complex it can get. At first it's pretty linear, and then what's this? Plot twists? A lot of them? Secrets being revealed? Oh what are its readers to do. DBC follows Haine, a rough-looking albino male. He hangs around a church of all places, and has a bad past. He wants to get to the mysterious and ominous "underground" to get revenge against the evil female scientist, Angelika, who created him. He also wants to find out more of his past, and is joined by Badou, a mellow-like smoker. Joining them are Mihai, an old man who can fight, and the beautiful "sword maiden" Naoto. These 4 are the main protagonists, and the manga follows their past and futures.
The story's great, yes. However, past halfway, it starts to slow down and drag around a bit, but immediately pick up later. You won't wanna miss this.

Ah, the art. The famous yet underrated mangaka Miwa Shirow. He's done work for the notable band Supercell, after already working on Dogs. His style has evolved so much, that it's amazing to see his progress. In the beginning, Dogs seems to be on the semi-realistic side, with detailed backgrounds and shadow. Halfway through this series, everything gets smoother, there are less backgrounds, and the characters become more well-defined. The most recent chapters have shown even more progress. Now he has a set defining style, and there are no backgrounds. Why doesn't he draw them? Let's see, he's a mangaka drawing detailed clothing wrinkles, puts in a lot of inking, works for Supercell, AND has no assistants. All in all, its become a part of his amazing style, and I highly respect him for it.

The characters of DBC are great. They're colorful and complement each other. Haine is interesting in that he has a lot to him, and receives character growth. He changes throughout the manga, and improves. He's broken all over mentally and physically, with the added case of gynophobia (a fear of women) because of Angelika who experimented on him, and accidentally killing a sister-like female friend. This makes him anti-social, and added violent tendencies. His fear puts him at odds with our main female protagonist Naoto, who is also on the quiet side. Beautiful, short-haired, and slender, she suffers from a bad case of amnesia. Haine, coming from the infamous underground, is followed for information. Naoto is strong, level-headed, and bad with femininity. The fact that she doesn't give up hounding Haine displeased him greatly. Through time, they accept one another, and are able to work together, and walk side by side.
Badou, the seemingly simple and lazy smoker. Long red hair, and an eyepatch. This guy just seems so harmless, huh? WRONG. No smokes? He's going to kill you all, no joke. Aside from that, a sort of nervous, and comic relief character. He's easygoing and pretty friendly, even if he can be crude. An information broker with many sides to him. Does a bunch of odd jobs for cash and info. Haine's "friend."
Of course we can't forget Mihai. A quiet older man, who seems to have a tragic past, which he did indeed have, just humbly hanging around a certain cafe, drinking coffee. Right. He can fight with his fists, and can shoot well. A force to be reckoned with. Sort of wise, and a nice person. This guy is not what he seems, however. Yes, he's nice, but he can be deadly serious if he wanted to do so.

Dogs: Bullets & Carnage is actually my favorite manga. How? The story's great, the art's great, and these are my favorite characters; Haine and Naoto, if you noticed that. All by my overall favorite anime artist. What else could I say? Of course I enjoy this manga.

This manga's scoring overall is an un-doubtful 9. A point docked down for the story's pacing, which is a very big deal when a manga loses your interest for a time, even if it's short. This is the manga all seinen fans need to read, no doubt.
I found this review Helpful  Not Helpful