A lot of time went to gaming for these past few months. But I still try to keep the pages turning daily...few it might be. A few interesting novels is being translated and I start on one right now.
- [2013.11.12] Half Prince V.06 - Quite an unexpected development. Things are finally getting serious, although Yu Wo is definitely not the best author in writing a serious plot due to her tendency of including humour, which most are uncalled for in serious scenes.
- [2013.11.12] Half Prince V.05 - Prince went on a melancholy spree this volume...and then went on a killing spree next, planing on taking control over the central continent.
- [2013.11.11] Half Prince V.04 - Yu Wo's comedy feel very natural and she made great use of the situation to create WTF!!LOL moment.
- [2013.11.11] Half Prince V.03 - The winner of the tournament received a huge piece of land as a reward, which they plan to build a city there. Thing seem to escalated very quickly this volume.
- [2013.11.08] Half Prince V.02 - It's tournament time! Prince and Odd Squad on stage...crushing their opponents physically and mentally. I wonder, who's going to win this tournament? Actually, the answer should be obvious already.
- [2013.11.07] Half Prince V.01 - A shoujo novel written by a female author that normally, I would not have bothered with. The majority of the plot take place in a VRMMO game called Second Life and although the MC is a girl, her character is a male. The author also make great use of this gender bender as a prop for comedy. With both these factors involved and although the shoujo elements are still there, it was tolerable enough. Should also mention that Second Life's realism level is 99%. This mean that almost anything is possible in game if it was possible IRL.
- [2013.11.07] Index V.13 - Accelerator, you crazy bastard. At least, leave the ladies some grace. And I thought you were capable of more than just reflection?
- [2013.11.04] Index V.12 - Enjoyable volume filled with my favorite characters. And it seem that the author has finished doing his groundwork and about to step up his game.
- [2013.10.31] Index V.11 - Ugh, a whole bunch of contradictions in there. I have seen plenty of 'yesterday's enemy, today's friend' kind of things, but this is the most cheesy one yet.
- [2013.10.24] Mahouka V.09 - Introducing the new character Angelina Kudou Shields or Angie Sirius, one of the strategic class magi. It's surprising to think the USNA would move the Sirius across the border.
- [2013.10.21] Mahouka V.08 - While the sibling's flashbacks are very informative regarding Tatsuya's past, Untouchable is definitely the most impactful chapter, and even turn my view on the Yotsuba a complete 180 degree. There are many mysteries regarding the Yotsuba, but with this small tragic chapter, a lot of questions have been answers along with many changes in impression I believe.
- [2013.10.21] Mahouka V.07 - Damn, a strategic class magi with his strategic class magic, Material Burst. What does strategic class magi even mean? A high dexterity warrior who use pistols to shoot laser, heal people or even detonated atomic bombs?
- [2013.10.20] Mahouka V.06 - This novel is chaotic. Trouble over trouble and now a war is coming up. We don't know yet if it will be a full blown war or just a skirmish but one thing we do know is that Tatsuya will remains poker-paced.
- [2013.10.15] Mahouka V.04 - Of course, we can't have our MC in the backstage for the whole show, can we? Yup, give him the best game we got.
- [2013.10.13] Mahouka V.03 - Nine School Competition! It look like things about to get very lively. Can't wait to see Miyuki on stage.
- [2013.10.11] Mahouka V.02 - Alert! Sis-con parameter reach critical level. Alert! Sis-con parameter reach critical level. Oh, but the Bro-con level is still way higher.
- [2013.10.10] Mahouka V.01 - Strong, cool and collect are my prefer traits for a main character and it seem that this particular author also shares my thought. Heck, he took it to a whole new dimension. Needless to say, this MC rock...hard. Plot and setting seem to be well-thought out and detail.
- [2013.10.08] Madan no Ou to Senki V.03 - Vanadis are strong...well, at least portrayed to be stronger than our Tigre. This time, we will face with Knight Roland who is stronger than the Vanadis. Will we see the rock, paper, and scissor game here? Obviously...
- [2013.10.06] Madan no Ou to Senki V.02 - While the author was busy creating his fantasy setting, the MC also busied himself with his establishment of his harem. From a prisoner of war to a position of an army's general is quite a feat...possible only with a great amount of luck or charisma. In this case, it's evidently the latter...one that make him popular among the Vanadis.
- [2013.10.04] Madan no Ou to Senki V.01 - I just love fantasy setting, especially a well thought-out one. While not nearly as detail as Horizon universe, this novel still deliver a good amount. MC is likeable, but maybe a bit too likeable in the story itself.
- [2013.09.30] Blazblue - Phase 0 - Set in the era of the Black Beast. Here we take a closer look of some of the little-known but important individuals, such as Jubei, Nine, Trinity and Cilica.
- [2013.09.17] Gakusen Toshi Asterisk V.01 - If there is a competition which the theme is to write a novel that should be identical to Blade Dance without violating any copyrights, this particular novel might just win...hand down. Casts are flat and plain, and a perfect example of stereotyped characters. Well, at least the MC is a tiny bit more likeable here because at least his personality is not a complete contradicted of his background.
- [2013.09.12] Moonlight Sculptor V.14 - Once again, not enough of Seoyoon. Not much action or adventure going on in this volume either but Weed do make some solid progress on his sculpting skills. Still, it set the stage up for a hopefully awesome battle that most definitely will involve Seoyoon too.
- [2013.08.26] Baka to Test V.02 - Onto the second volume and nothing resembling a plot has yet to appear. This is not necessarily good or bad. It heavily focused on the school life of our characters and emphasized their lack of intelligence. For this volume, we see another summoning battle but in form of a tournament which take place during the school festival.
- [2013.08.14] Chrome Shelled Regios V.02 - Aside from the setting, most other aspects of the novel is quite bland. The plot, for the most part, currently focused on Layfon's past and his steps to getting over it. It's by no mean enjoyable, given the all-time solemn mood. Besides, I prefer an emotionally strong protagonist, which Layfon certainly is not, who could help with girls' troubles, not the other way around. Overall, I decided to drop this one...at least for the foreseeable future.
- [2013.08.11] Chrome Shelled Regios V.01 - Take place in a very unique and creative setting. The world is polluted and mankind could not survive without living in one of the Regios, a self-concious mobile city that are moving all over the world. Besides the pollutant, the world outside also home to filth monsters which view human as nutrition. So even the city aren't always a safe heaven. And here we have an academy city Zuellni, which just start another school year. Students from various cities had braced the danger to come and study here and one of them is our protagonist with truckload of emotional issues, Layfon.
- [2013.08.09] Baka to Test V.01 - It twist the typical school life into a very intriguing and creative setting. One particular academy just adopted an educational driven system in which students are allocated to different classes based on their intelligence. Better class has better facilities, equipments and it can be anywhere from a class with personal AC, laptop, fridge and other luxury to one with smelly tatami and cardboard box as table. The form of competition is through the used of a Summoning system which students can summon their Persona, which its strength based on the user's exam score, to fight each other.
- [2013.07.20] Owari no Chronicle V.01 - Prequel to Horizon, which I couldn't find any solid connection between the two just yet. It's a lengthy first volume that cover only half of the arc. Very detail descriptions and world setting overall.
- [2013.07.11] Index V.10 - Conclusion to the Daihaseisai arc with some more shounen action and world saving stuff. I wonder if there is even a proper villain in this story. This 'everyone is decent' is really getting on my nerve.
- [2013.06.25] Moonlight Sculptor V.13 - I'm quite disappoint by Seoyoon's lack of presence in this volume. Still, it included fun and very exciting adventures, interactions, and battles...starting with the Palrangka Conflict. Hayan is boss to be reckoned with. I won't be surprise even if she is the final boss in RR.
- [2013.06.19] Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou V.02 - I probably enjoying the afterword about as much as the novel itself, some funny and strange thoughts he has. This volume reveal a bit more about the structure of magic, mana, god, and government with their usual shady business. Still, I couldn't quite grasp the structure of the world itself. Keena know much more than she let on, I seriously suspect that she must be stalking people all day...naked.
- [2013.06.19] Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou V.01 - Demon King is a occupation and Sai Akuto is a demon king in training. Not only do we have demon and magic here, we also have science, android, ninja that are packed into a school setting no less. Not enough information about the setting as of yet. Keena seem to be cleverer than she look.
- [2013.06.13] Suzumiya Haruhi V.01 - Haruhi is as eccentric as ever. I could only imagine how interesting it would be to live in a world with aliens, time travellers, espers and how frustrating it would be when I realize that they all do exist but I just wasn't aware of them.
- [2013.06.11] Date A Live V.03 - The plot intensified in this volume. I believe that after the next volume, we will see which direction this series will be going...but for now, I can say that it has been a while since I enjoy a story this much...sadistically. While it's not up to what I would like it to be, it was still quite refreshing to see someone's else method. Still, I must say, Kurumi, you are still quite naive and play around a bit too much.
- [2013.06.08] Date A Live V.02 - Pretty enjoyable for the most part. Putting the chain of event identical to the previous volume aside, the choices were quite hilarious, Yoshino was cute, and of course the lovely pouting from Tohka shouldn't be ignored. I guess when approaching a spirit, the best action is to roll on the floor and show your belly.
- [2013.06.02] Index V.09 - I kind of wish someone would smack that kid and told him to calm down...you know who I'm talking about. Daihaseisai start off energetically with some rather fun events, including Seiri's changing scene. It might have been better just to focus on Seiri and Mikoto instead of all these magical array, book and stuff...you know.
- [2013.06.01] Index V.08 - Continuation from the events of the Sister, and Three Stories arc. Solve the remaining problem regarding Tree Diagram.
- [2013.05.27] .Hack// AI Buster V.02 - So, the collection of atomic particles think that they are better than the collection of ones and zeroes.
- [2013.05.25] .Hack// AI Buster V.01 - Shed some light regarding Morganna, Harald, Balmung and Orca, a few pieces of Epitaph of Twilight, and Aura.
- [2013.05.24] Index V.07 - Highlighting Orsola and Roman Catholic. Kamijou is still as naive as ever but it's not a bad thing. The only real complaint is the shounen trope. I still could not understand why, when fighting, they pointlessly waste time with talking and what not...even reveal their abilities' secret. Yes, it's a battle novel but still, IT MAKE NO SENSE!!!
- [2013.05.06] Moonlight Sculptor V.01-12 - An addicting adventure novel about a very stingy dude named Weed, who works hard to support his family through.....online virtual gaming. It's a story about Weed's adventure, world renowned achievements and conquests, amusing interaction with other people and NPCs, and most of all, a heart warming yet comical romance that start on a fateful misunderstanding. And to top it all, the author's style of writing give us glimpses of Weed's popularity and world renowned fame from different perspectives.
- [2013.04.28] Sekaimo V.01 - Quite a hilarious brocon novel with lots sarcasm and references.
- [2013.04.26] Index V.01-6 - Having watched the animation, I already know what will going to happen but it was an enjoyable read nonetheless. The animation left many details out, especially in the Angel Fall arc, which got heavily rewrote.
- [2013.04.?] Tasogare-iro no Uta Tsukai V.01 - A very romantic and well written novel. The story start with a promise of two individuals. It set in a fantasy setting involving magic battle and summoning.
- [2013.04.?] Oreimo V.01-02 - Read for more Kuroneko between the first and second animation period. But all I can find is Kirino's tsun and Kyousuke's siscon.
- [2013.03.?] Date A Live V.01 - Somehow you are immortal. Then you meet a spirit whose power can destroy the world and a girl who battle that spirit. Somehow, that spirits is female. Naturally, you will help both of them, contradicting as it may. It's a decision most of us can agree with but what if that spirit was a male, what might have happen differently I wonder?
- [2013.03.?] Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance V.01 - There is always one guy who is special, and in this case, given permission to enter an all girl school full of noble ladies. Kinda smell like IS doesn't it? But instead of pointless mecha, here we have magic and summoning. The protag suppose to have some random tragic past and it was hint in the first few chapters no less. It feel similar to when a random male ghost appear and start telling me the reason why he died virgin, without me asking. I DON'T CARE!! Develop the characters first for god sake. Also, if it were a female ghost, I would probably have given her a hand, or something.
- [2013.03.?] Campione! V.01 - Typical harem protagonist with a overpowered ability but with some restriction, unsurprisingly. This is really getting old. So you have warriors and gods battling each other and those who have slain a god, are given the title Campione. Campione - godslayer - is the supreme ruler. Campione - godslayer - is a lord. Campione - godslayer - is a devil. Campione - godslayer - is also a normal Japanese boy who is trained to overreact in any ecchi situation. What more do you want?
- [2013.?.?] High School DxD V.01-10 - Probably the most ridiculous novel I have ever read. I remember ridiculing almost every sentences I read in the first volume. I don't like to nitpick much because it will lower the overall experience but it was written so that I couldn't ignore it. Battle-wise, the power up is so ridiculous and the fight is so up in the air that even Goku, with a power level of over septillion, look more realistic. One last thing I want to mention is, the author like to repeat information that already mention in a narration again in the dialogue...making it quite irritating.
- [2013.?.?] Sword Art Online V.01-10 - One of my first novel that I started in 09. It start out as a cage of death where gamers fight for their life, literally. This generic concept is what got me interested but later on, the plot change to solving strange case in games and other.
Halt almost everything except the newly started Grisaia and Yumina.
- [2013.06.16] Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Overall 10/10 - What insanity, what madness! I swear I could felt my mind was going insane as well. The witches' trolling and cackles were very sadistic and charming. Twisted as I am, I might probably have enjoyed it more than I should, but it can't be help that I find the madness itself delightful.
- [2013.05.30] Re:Cross+Channel - Overall 9/10 - So, my opinion does not differ much from before. It's a great read with a satisfied ending...although, a happier ending would have been fine too.
- [2013.05.24] Dra+Koi - Overall Score: 8.5/10 - Quite a strangely romantic atypical boy meet girl story. Read the bad end first...to give more impact!
- [2013.05.23] Rewrite - Overall Score: 10/10 - My most favorite Key's work I've read so far. Not that I've read any other...at least not until the end. Lovely and hilarious characters, especially you, Akane!! You're so booby!!
- [2013.05.01] Minna Banchou - Overall Score: 7.5/10 - Quite the originality there but not making full use of it. So you can play Sumo, make babies with a grow rate of about 1 x 10E6 and then teach them Sumo.
- [2013.04.23] Rance 03 - Overall Score: 7/10 - The plot solidified and feel less random. There are still a bit of backtracking and pointless time wasting.
- [2013.04.22] Rance 02 - Overall Score: 7/10 - Another piece of Rance's universal fragment has been record into the memory section of my grimoire. Redrawn graphic was the saving grace from this game's pointlessly time consummation.
- [2012.12.06] Shikoku no Sharnoth - Overall Score: 7.5/10 - Now I know what a steampunk is. Hail my ignorant! But yeah, this novel was beautifully written...albeit too many repetition. It is a necessity to set the mood but even knowing that, it is still a hassle. The mini-game control should have been better.
- [2011.12.23] A Profile - Overall Score: 8/10 - I was paranoia most of the time reading through the Rizu route, which I was expecting a neck twist but I guess I was letting my guard down again. Miku was cute...but I still haven't completed Miou. I smell a NTR or was it malice? yeah, all the way from AKB2's development studio. They are sniggering at us right about now...you devils.
- [2011.?.?] Daibanchou - Overall Score: 8.5/10 - This series just remind me again just how much of an Alicesoft's fan I am. SRPG element was a bit more complex compare to Sengoku Rance but complexity can be a hassle sometime. Story was generic enough, but the fun is the vast characters and vast ero scenes. Maybe a few too many for the heroines because it was exhausting (?) to go through those.
- [2011.?.?] G-Senjou no Maou - Overall Score: 9.5/10 - I thought I was prepare for this game but AKB2 still got me by the neck. The twist was very unpredictable, or I was just led by the nose the whole time, whichever it is, it was a hell of a ride...and in the yakuza's limousine at that.
- [2011.?.?] Rance 01 - Overall Score: 6/10 - Probably the most unfriendly game I have ever played in my entire youth. Good thing I love the Rance universe, or I would have lock this little piece of megabytes of outdated binary into a Pandora Box for eternity.
- [2011.?.?] Hanachirasu - Overall Score: 7/10 - My first Nitro+ game and a short one at that. I remember having to grind through the first half until a specific scene to actually got me interested enough to finished it. The ending was harsh...to be expect.
- [2010.?.?] Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo - Overall Score: 9/10 - I remember I was quite surprise with the language used with this novel. Having already read Cross+Channel, it was a familiar experience. Still, the psychological play here still caught me by surprise.
- [2010.?.?] Eien no Aselia - Overall Score: 8/10 - Story was quite average but what stand out for me is the characters and SRPG element. Sadly, I only finished a few routes including Aselia and Tokimi. Thinking of going back to finished the other routes too but...time will tell.
- [2010.?.?] Fate/stay night - Overall Score: 9.5/10 - Very long and Shirou in Fate route is so bah...turn me off a few times but when I actually finished going through everything, all I can say is it was awesome.
- [2010.?.?] Cross+Channel - Overall Score: 9/10 - My first VN without any strategy games. Loved Romeo's script. Planning on re-read it sometime soon because I was too immature to do this awesome novel justice at the time.
- [2010.?.?] Tears to Tiara - Overall Score: 8.5/10 - Was quite disappoint with the real-time combat in this one but later I played the PSP version with good old turn base. Plot was awesome.
- [2009.?.?] Utawarerumono - Overall Score: 9.5/10 - My first Leaf's game. I had a lot of fun with this game's TBS combat with combo and stuff. The story is quite good too.
- [2009.?.?] Sengoku Rance - Overall Score: 10/10 - My first eroge and it's quite an extreme one at that. Still, it's what get me into VN and SRPG in general. Rance is a cool guy.
List of people I admire, and their works which I like and interested in.
- Kawakami Minoru - Author of Horizon, Owari no Chronicle and many other titles including the CITY and FORTH series.
- Kinoko Nasu - Co-founder of Type-Moon and author of notable titles such as Tsukihime, Fate, Mahoyo, and Kara no Kyoukai.
- Maeda Jun - Key's former main writer, whose known works included Kanon, Air, Clannad, Little Busters!, and Angel Beats!.
- Ryukishi07 - Writer of Higurashi, Umineko, Higanbana, Rose Guns Days, Lucia route from Rewrite, among others.
- Tanaka Romeo - Writer of Jintai, Aura, Cross+Channel, and a co-author of Rewrite.
- Urobuchi Gen - Scenarios writer for Phantom of Inferno, Kikokugai, Saya no Uta visual novel. Author of Fate/Zero and the creator of some well known anime including Madoka, Psycho-Pass, and Gargantia.
View shiroux's BlogLast Blog EntriesNo blog entries found
Displaying 15 of 76 Comments
Write a Comment