MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Weeaboo VS Otaku
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Casual Discussion »» Weeaboo VS Otaku

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
07-06-13, 6:25 PM

Weeaboo and Otaku.

Both a title for someone who likes japanese culture(anime,manga,more)...

But whats the actual difference?

07-06-13, 6:26 PM

none

07-06-13, 6:28 PM

One is like the Boogieman and the other is like a swarm of angry little imps.

07-06-13, 6:29 PM

yet aggan otaku useed wrongly
ans i think peoople who use the the word weeaboo shpuld get banned or warned cause its an insult

i use an insulting word my post got deleted and i gpt a wrning for it

Double Standers much
my 11 main things i rate on

1 Impact on Impact on industry both the anime and Original Manga had
2 TV Ratings in Japan [ Gross for movies Unit sales for OVAs 3 Manga Ka of the Sourcework
4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
5 Seiyuu casting [ how many i know by voice i use the royal I here ]
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West
8 Music[ Instrumentation]
9 merchandise sales
10 art style 11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry]

07-06-13, 6:31 PM

Otaku are people that live for their collection-hobby, the word by itself has nothing to do with anime/manga. It could be model trains or figure ducks and other random stuff like that

weeaboo are extreme(delusional) fans of japanese "culture" & anime/manga
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds

07-06-13, 6:33 PM

Ghostony said:
Otaku are people that live for their collection-hobby, the word by itself has nothing to do with anime/manga. It could be model trains or figure ducks and other random stuff like that

Well as far as I knew about Otaku.. in North America its a badge for someone who likes anime/manga.. but in japan its more of an insult for someone obsessive about it. I just wanted to know if weeaboo meant the same.

07-06-13, 6:42 PM

Depends on the country really, there's alot more extreme between them in Japan.

07-06-13, 6:43 PM

Zodezu said:
Ghostony said:

Well as far as I knew about Otaku.. in North America its a badge for someone who likes anime/manga.. but in japan its more of an insult for someone obsessive about it. I just wanted to know if weeaboo meant the same.
It's like he said, otaku basically means nerd or geek, it's a Japanese word, you can be a cooking otaku. It would most likely be used as an insult in Japan.

Weeaboo is an English word which basically means someone so obsessed with Japan that they forsake their own culture, use Japanese words in regular conversation, dress like anime characters, etc.

Their difference, otaku is a Japanese word for an obsessive fan. While weeaboo is an English word for someone obsessed with Japan and their culture.

07-06-13, 6:43 PM

Urbandictionary is your best friend.

07-06-13, 6:47 PM

None.

You'll still be considered a body pillow loving anime virgin by those who hate anime with a passion.

Just stick with "Guy who has anime as a hobby" or something.
The best fan service is a good plot.

I miss image BBC Code.

07-06-13, 6:47 PM

Pretty much the same. 12 year old anime fans have the delusion that being an otaku is not derogatory though for whatever reason. Weeaboo has a more funny connotation due to the way its generally used satirically.

07-06-13, 6:51 PM

One sucks, and the other one sucks harder. Which one that may be, and what exactly they are sucking, is up to your imagination or your back closet.
Pikachu wants some

07-06-13, 6:51 PM

Introver D: Nuuu whyyy!! I was about to explain it T.T How could youuhhh...

Well i'll just state my opinion on this matter I guess.. =-=

I don't think its actually nice to classify people in any manner in the first place... but its human nature to categorize things... I mean I myself do it by reflex... Its just how our brain function by finding the closest related matter to it...

Weeaboo or Otaku, or what ever you are... if you feel you are happy living the way you are... then be the way you are now... : / I'll do my best not to judge people since I love how I live and do things and happy with the way I am now

Though I think I am already quite close to being an otaku... my classmates used to say I'm a Weeabo for imitating Japanese words and phrases around them... but to clear things up, I'm just training my nihon D: and show my passion for anime T.T

Peace out! *poof*
[img]http://i.imgur.com/n1MloU4.png[/img]

07-06-13, 6:52 PM

yet aggan otaku useed wrongly
ans i think peoople who use the the word weeaboo shpuld get banned or warned cause its an insult

i use an insulting word my post got deleted and i gpt a wrning for it

Double Standers much

2 TV Ratings in Japan [ Gross for movies Unit sales for OVAs 3 Manga Ka of the Sourcework
4 how loyal the anime stayed to its source how well the compare to other big name in its genre
6 Impact on General Pop Culture in Japan and the West 7 Impact on Otaku Culture in Japan and the West
9 merchandise sales
10 art style 11 Studio who produced the anime[ and what thay have done for the industry]

07-06-13, 6:52 PM

Weeaboo refers to a Westerner who is obsessed with Japanese culture, or substitutes Japanese words like it's fashionable.

Otaku is the Japanese word for geek.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

07-06-13, 6:54 PM

They're just labels whose meanings are entirely subjective.

07-06-13, 6:54 PM

katsucats said:
Weeaboo refers to a Westerner who is obsessed with Japanese culture, or substitutes Japanese words like it's fashionable.

Otaku os not as much os an insult as it once was here so is agree with this

9 merchandise sales

07-06-13, 6:56 PM

otaku are obsessed people
weaboo are like the lite version of otaku and mainly about anime stuffs

07-06-13, 6:56 PM

DateYutaka said:
katsucats said:

The word "otaku" originated as an insult, and it still is.
This just makes it all the more cringe-worthy when someone proudly calls themselves an otaku, like they deserve a medal or something.

07-06-13, 6:58 PM

StrictlyStupid said:
DateYutaka said:
katsucats said:

The word "otaku" originated as an insult, and it still is.
This just makes it all the more cringe-worthy when someone proudly calls themselves an otaku, like they deserve a medal or something.
Geek used to be an insult as well, like nerd (they still may be), but now you have people reclaiming the word. It's the same thing. Same with "nigga", or bitch.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices