Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 11, 2009 4:46 PM
Jan 2009
Its "philosophy" is that humans suck, and it presents it in the most blunt, over-the-top, tactless way possible.
Oct 12, 2009 10:29 AM

Jul 2009
Well... it has a point, though.
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden, Fight Club
Oct 17, 2009 4:14 PM
Jan 2009
You mean other than just reinforcing the above point over and over and over again?
Oct 17, 2009 4:39 PM

Jul 2009
Huh? I mean that said "philosophy" holds true most of the time.

I don't really find Elfen Lied that 'philosophical' myself, though [on the other hand I'm not sure what the requirements are anyway; except addressing popular philosophic problems, that is].
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden, Fight Club
Apr 5, 2010 11:32 AM
Feb 2010
Just joined this club but I don't think it should be added. Sure some of the ideas presented are quite thought-provoking and characters break down a lot, but it's more of a soap opera with gore and some thought-provoking ideas which go almost nowhere.

It's a good concept but cliche, and that wouldn't be so bad if it was the focus of the show, which it isn't.
Jun 2, 2010 9:23 PM
Jan 2009
The thing about Elfen Lied is that it has a ton of ideas that COULD have been really interesting, but its few attempts to meaningfully pursue them are so absurdly ham-fisted that it would have been better off not even trying. It's kind of like Avatar in that regard.
Jun 3, 2010 2:40 AM

Jun 2010
Well, like I said in a previous post, english is not my birth language. I'll try my best.

1 - We should avoid strict definitions, in order to improve brainstorming. Strict definitions often leads to purely rethoric debates and other socratic-like methods based purely on structured logical reasoning. This opinion holds for (almost) every philosophical discussion (or we would end up like Kant said: debating is ultimately useless);

2 - Here I propose a conceptual difference between what is philosophical and what is psychological. Elfen Lied undoubtly have some good points to discuss/think about, but I felt that Anime's main line is feelings between Kouta and Nyu. Although I personally could think and cry for hours wondering about how that persona and their actions reached my own feelings and psyche, it's not a deep plot in a wide sense. Secondary themes like "humanity-inhumanity" are surely controversal, but maybe NOT ENOUGH to be interesting in a philosophical analysis

3 - BUT the arguments above are true for most Anime and themes that could be proposen subject for analysis and discussion. Don't know if I made my english clear: It's true that Elfen Lied is not "good enough", but, if so, we won't have many things besides Boogiepop, S.E. Lain and Ergo Proxy

That's how I see this "is/ isn't" question. The particular subject in se is innocuous to me as I really prefer to discuss psychological/emotional content
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't
Real men don't use Task Manager: they sudo kill -9
Computers are like air-conditioning: pretty much useless if you open Windows
"I cannot refute you, Socrates." - said Agathon
"Rather, dear Agathon, what you can't refute is the truth; for Socrates is easily refuted."
Symposium - Plato
Jun 3, 2010 8:42 AM
Jan 2009
Debating IS ultimately useless. I mean, c'mon, how many people honestly end up changing their opinion because someone bests them in a debate? And on the Internet, no less? We're sitting around discussing the philosophical merits, or lack thereof, of Japanese cartoons. Instead of arguing the semantics of it, it's probably best to just put forth a concise, clear-cut opinion.
Sep 4, 2010 2:05 PM

May 2008
Okay, when I first read this topic's title I thought it was a joke, but now I see it's serious, so here are my thoughts: Elfen Lied shouldn't be added simply because if focuses more on explicit and utterly out of focus fan-service and random gore imagery than on developing any kind of further philosophical discussion.
90% of Anime is shit, but then, 90% of everything is shit.
Jan 21, 2014 12:34 PM

Jan 2014
When people see Elfen lied they are too distracted by the gore and nudity to realize the true meaning of the anime/manga.The series wants to show how barbaric and intolerant humans can be for the ones different from them.The human nature is to expel everything they visually consider a threat without trying to understand and accept it.I think that Elfen lied has the full right to be in this philosophy related club so that people can understand its meaning.Last I want to apologize if I made some grammatical or punctual errors in my writing because English is not my native language.
Jan 25, 2014 4:55 PM

Nov 2012
Well, as for me, Elfen Lied tackles an important subject in Philosophy ~ Being Human. What is moral and what is not? What can we legitimately do to ourselves or to others?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Philosophical Quote Debate #2: Max Stirner

GonzoLewd - Dec 15, 2013

1 by Neostorm-X »»
Jun 27, 2022 11:01 AM

Sticky: » New Member Introduction Thread ( 1 2 )

Lithic - Jan 26, 2014

70 by morimemen »»
Jun 27, 2020 5:30 PM

» Club Relations ( 1 2 )

Danish - Apr 12, 2009

69 by missbellerophon »»
Aug 2, 2016 3:02 PM

» THE COVER PHOTO

PsychoX - May 3, 2016

0 by PsychoX »»
May 3, 2016 4:34 AM

» To the Bookshelf: Post Your Latest Texts

PleiadesRising - Sep 25, 2012

10 by removed-user »»
Jul 6, 2015 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.