Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 9, 2007 11:53 PM

Jan 2007
Well.....that was.....ok. I guess what other people were saying are true. Fairly disappointing.

Pros: Konata, Animation, and Lucky Star Channel
Cons: Everyting else
Apr 10, 2007 12:20 AM

Mar 2005
err...after all the hype i've been spreading, I have to say I was disappointed too.

ugh, die-hard KyoAni fanboy here too. I should be biased towards this series, but even I can't say much. I laughed a few times, but what were they thinking when they devoted 5 minutes to talking about food?! Most of the episode was too incoherent. I mean I'm a slice-of-life fan too. I loved the randomness of Azumanga Daioh. But parts of this ep switched subjects WAY too quickly. Jumped around too much.

animation was not the usual KyoAni level either. Background characters were either not moving or were not drawn in at all. even the seifuku weren't drawn very well (ribbons looked flat). This isn't even the fault of the manga, cuz those were drawn very well. Kei is confused. What's KyoAni doing? Is Haruhi episode 9 showing up in Lucky Star 1?

I mean, without putting KyoAni in the equation, I guess you could say the show is quite average in terms of quality...but this is KyoAni, there was no other reason I began watching this other than Aya Hirano (and Konata wins btw)

Like seriously, I'm thinking this is a KyoAni joke. next episode they're gonna go like "haha, you all thought we sucked!" This is a test of our loyalty! I'm gonna stick with this entire series because I love KyoAni too much, but seriously this show better get better soon.
Apr 10, 2007 12:24 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
wildebeest0001 said:
Like seriously, I'm thinking this is a KyoAni joke. next episode they're gonna go like "haha, you all thought we sucked!" This is a test of our loyalty! I'm gonna stick with this entire series because I love KyoAni too much, but seriously this show better get better soon.

Lmao. xD

Yeah, it's kinda weird. But Kono-chan's pretty funny, and I laughed a lot watching the Lucky Star channel as well. Let's see how this continues. I appreciate that the show got picked up but could Oharuhi-sama please switch the fansub group?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 10, 2007 1:06 AM

Oct 2006
er.. where have you found it subbed?
Apr 10, 2007 1:06 AM

Jan 2007
check tokyotosho
Apr 10, 2007 1:19 AM

Jan 2007
Faust721 said:
Well.....that was.....ok. I guess what other people were saying are true. Fairly disappointing.

Pros: Konata, Animation, and Lucky Star Channel
Cons: Everyting else

In some respects I agree. From the hype, most people seemed to be thinking this would be about the funniest thing ever in life. Out of curiousity I checked out the scanslations of the manga -- my first disappointment. 4koma are a bit hit or miss, as the comedy is often incredibly understated or just completely bizarre, and Lucky Star is one of the former, I think.

The SF-S subs did the job in terms of making it understandable, but I felt like maybe if certain scenes were just translated differently they would have been funnier. I heard a.f.k. (which is not the most faithful translation-wise, but always manages to bring out the comedy intent in a situation) will be subbing this show as well, so I'll be watching their version as well, to see if it really was wording problem.

That being said, I wasn't quite as disappointed as I thought I was going to be. The hype surrounding the show was equaled if not surpassed by the immediate backlash in the anime blogs I read, so I was expecting something reminiscent of well animated poo. However, the first episode of this reminded me a lot of the first episode of Hidamari Sketch. A few very funny moments, but overall kind of dull, and mostly just there to make you go 'aww' at the characters.

I think this first ep is more of an establishment of the characters personalities. I don't think it was bad, per se, but more that the tone of the show is something that will only appeal to a select audience of people. Not everyone likes slice of life, and not everyone is going to be so easily entertained by everyday things. Probably a poor decision on KyoAni's part, but they can afford to make a niche show, when their name is starting to get such a reputation.

Apr 10, 2007 1:20 AM
Apr 2006
mhm...don't hit me....but it was boring...there is a limit to the time i can patiently watch something about...the best way to eat things? o_O
Apr 10, 2007 1:25 AM

Apr 2007
I dunno sailor fukus were nice IMO.. and animation wasn't that bad. True it wasn't Kanon quality but compared to similar anime(Today in class 5-A(dun actually remember the name), Azu Daioh, and Dokuro Chan) it's actually really good.

An OP is win, god I'll have that song in my head for months..

Was it me or Satsuki Yukino (Chidori from FMP) voiced Akira..? :S
Yesh I know ANN says otherwise.
Apr 10, 2007 1:28 AM

Mar 2007
well this first episode was disappointment, but im expecting now more for second ep, of course this ep had its good points and some points i even laughed but overall thist episode was quite boring.

well lets hope that second ep is much better
Apr 10, 2007 1:52 AM

Oct 2006
boring and disappointing >_>
the only thing that i liked about it was the OP...
mah well i guess i'd appreciate it more if i was living in japan

Apr 10, 2007 1:58 AM

Oct 2006
Faust721 said:
check tokyotosho
ty Faust. Downloading.

edit: ok... this was plain bad IMO... it crossed my mind stopping it right in the beggining with that totally annoying food talk....... I normally don't judge animes for the first ep. but this one gave such a bad felling that I'm not even gonna bother watching the ep 2.

I might try it again when it's over if I hear good things about it....
KayrhandrosApr 10, 2007 3:24 AM
Apr 10, 2007 9:53 PM

Aug 2006
OMG Kei might not like something from KyoAni?

I have to say though, that was probably one of the most pointless things I've ever seen XD
Apr 11, 2007 11:42 AM
Apr 2007
i thought it was pretty good, but there's certainly a lot of room for improvement
Apr 11, 2007 12:30 PM

Mar 2005
um, okay. Today I just bought one of the chocolate cornets that Konata was eating from a Japanese pastry shop. Actually I'm eating right now. XD

So yea, it's NOT TRUE that biting the small end first forces the chocolate out the other end so you have to lick it back in like Konata did. =P

Even if you squeeze it, the chocolate oozes out but once you let go it goes back in on its own. Konata just did all tat licking to be moe. XD

and yea, ripping off the small end and dipping it into the large end is awesome. Konata's got good taste hehe. Konata ftw.
Apr 11, 2007 4:31 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
The a.f.k. torrent for Ep1 just popped up at Tokyo Toshokan =) .

... omg! This sub is so much better, a.f.k. rulez. I'm sure I missed half of the ep with the SF sub.

xD, very funny.
cyruzApr 11, 2007 6:02 PM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 12, 2007 1:35 AM

Mar 2005
looking at the newer blog posts that have come out recently, it seems that those who have seen a.f.k.'s version seem to appreciate the episode a lot more than those who watched it Raw or the crappy subs. I guess I'll give a.f.k.'s a try too. Seems this anime is not for the weak lol.
Apr 12, 2007 3:53 PM

Apr 2007
I downloaded ep 1 just on a whim, and it was...well...horrible.
Half the ep they talk about food...>_<
Apr 12, 2007 4:06 PM

Mar 2007
Never have I thought I would be sick of talking about food. What a letdown after the awesome little OP.:(
Apr 12, 2007 4:30 PM

Jan 2007
The a.f.k. sub was definitely much better, but it's not like the change is anything drastic. They still talk about food for 6 minutes, it's just with more understandable, better timed, slightly more witty subs. I'd say if the type of humor isn't something you can handle, don't bother with the different subbing group, but if the subs were (in your opinion) part of the problem, wait for the a.f.k. subs. I'm definitely in the latter group here.
Apr 13, 2007 9:56 PM

Feb 2007
The food discussion was my favorite part of the episode :P
Hehe I really liked the first ep, I like the humor but I don't like the characters much...they annoy me for some reason.
Anti Loli Association Sick of Lolis? Come join the ALA!
Apr 15, 2007 2:46 PM

Feb 2007
Tsukasa had 7 shock moments in episode 1 O_o

Donate to my awesomeness! | "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Apr 15, 2007 2:50 PM

Oct 2006
running_lemon said:
OMG Kei might not like something from KyoAni?

I have to say though, that was probably one of the most pointless things I've ever seen XD

yep probably the worst first episodes of anything I've seen. Very very boring.
Apr 16, 2007 6:46 PM

Feb 2007
Wow, food.. I liked, but not. I am shocked.. and.. confused.. and curious..

It wasn't awful, but like, what the hell?
Apr 18, 2007 12:45 PM

Dec 2006
what the hell indeed.

will be continuing to watch this.
Apr 26, 2007 1:41 AM

Oct 2006
I wasn't really expecting anything, but after seeing the ridiculous opening on YouTube I was compelled to watch the show. I guess I'm going against popular opinion here, but I really like it. It's quirky, odd, and pretty much pointless, but I find it highly entertaining.
Apr 26, 2007 9:22 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Nah, they all just can't appreciate what they're watching. It's great :D.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 30, 2007 2:08 AM

Feb 2007
To tell you the truth, i've never heard of Lucky Star. I just decided to watch it because someone told me about it. And this is also the first slice of life anime i've ever seen.

First episode...well..

OP: Weird but cool.
First half of episode: I love food. I don't mind them talking about it. I got a chance to see what the characters were like. I like them all.
Second half: Quirky and funny. Not lol type of funny, but it's interesting to say the least.
Lucky Channel and ED: Best parts of the episode. Great.

So...i'm going to stick with it. I'll catch up with the rest of you soon and watch 2 and 3.
Apr 30, 2007 11:37 PM
Sep 2006
Bluntly... eh. They talked, nice to know, not something that really interested me much. Hopefully I'll like the next episode better.
Apr 30, 2007 11:51 PM
Apr 2007
^i think you will...for the most part, a lot of people thought that episode 2 was infinitely better (i enjoyed it approximately 746534 times better than this episode)...the food talk sucked and dragged...i mean, who cares about chocolate cornets or grilling with onions on the meat? and they talked about that for what seemed like half the episode...

the lucky channel segment and street fighter homage was awesome though...
May 15, 2007 3:21 AM

Apr 2007
Rofl, I really enjoyed it, even the food scene was good imo. It drug on and on, I'll admit, but I loved how they closed it :P And I won't ever forget the line "I thought the flu was like a super cold". Classic.
Jun 7, 2007 1:07 PM

Mar 2007
I'm so sorry for bringing this topic back up but I just saw the first episode last night. I wasn't planning on watching but did because I see it all over in peoples sigs. So here is what I think.

I loved the opening. I was kinda dancing during the opening. *lol* So yeah, that got me going. The part were they talked about food dragged on and made me hungry. >_>
I like the one girl who doesn't want to miss her anime shows, just like me. *lol* i don't understand what the Lucky Channel part was about, but it was funny. Though, it will never be as funny as Azumanga Daioh. So far I gave it a 5. I will watch more later.
Jun 8, 2007 2:21 AM

May 2007
Kinda boring to me, but there were some bits that I found funny. I'll have to admit I was mostly just thinking "Is it over yet..?" the entire time though xD Just seemed to drag on aimlessly to me. Haha.
Jun 8, 2007 5:07 AM

Nov 2004
first time i watched i remember it was a slow first episode, however when i rewatched it was actually really good =)
Jun 8, 2007 6:19 AM

Feb 2007
All-Star said:
I'm so sorry for bringing this topic back up but I just saw the first episode last night. I wasn't planning on watching but did because I see it all over in peoples sigs. So here is what I think.

I loved the opening. I was kinda dancing during the opening. *lol* So yeah, that got me going. The part were they talked about food dragged on and made me hungry. >_>
I like the one girl who doesn't want to miss her anime shows, just like me. *lol* i don't understand what the Lucky Channel part was about, but it was funny. Though, it will never be as funny as Azumanga Daioh. So far I gave it a 5. I will watch more later.

Well, episodes 2-9 are better. But i still want a choclate cornet after watching episode 1...and it's been 7 weeks! I need to get off my lazy bum and find a bakery.
Jun 13, 2007 9:17 PM
May 2007
BlueYoshi said:
All-Star said:

Well, episodes 2-9 are better. But i still want a choclate cornet after watching episode 1...and it's been 7 weeks! I need to get off my lazy bum and find a bakery.

Chocolate cornet is sooo good! <3
I've found it in a japanese bakery... everyone there must have thought i was crazy, laughting because of the choco cornet. rofl XD
a
Jun 27, 2007 1:15 PM

Jun 2007
This made me laugh.. it was so random!

Talking about which end of a sweet is the end to eat first.. lol. I'm not really expecting anything.. I was just interested at the synopsis.. and it sounds funny ^_^

Oh yeah.. and Konata rules! hehe.

-Seigi-
Dec 1, 2007 3:54 AM

Nov 2007
I enjoyed this episode, the food thing just made me so damn hungry, but I was still ogling the animation at that point so I didn't get bored till about 5 min in.

I can say this honestly, since I haven't seen that much anime yet, lol, but that's the greatest most addicting opening I've seen so far.

Konata is win. Let's just get that out there.

Yeah this episode dragged on, but what I've been hearing from everyone is that the first few episodes aren't on par with the rest of the anime. Anyway, I'm addicted so I won't stop watching haha.
Dec 27, 2007 9:19 AM

Jun 2007
i got bored a little watching this episode, i will keep following it since i already downloaded everything...and it kinda looked promising...
Feb 23, 2008 6:45 AM

Jan 2008
I expected more with all the hype I have heard, hope it gets better.

It was funny though, but a little to random. I mean, I like random humor, but this was a little to much.
Aug 6, 2008 11:41 PM

May 2008
Finally started watching this anime...I expected something else.
There's no plot,the characters talk about food for almost half the episode,there's some really stupid/odd humor. Clearly a parody of the 'slice of life' anime series.
I like it!!!! 8D
Aug 7, 2008 4:54 AM

Feb 2008
Umm... so, food... cool. Hoping it gets better with all I've heard about this.
Jan 2, 2009 9:38 PM

Dec 2008
Very random. That's about all I can say. The whole conversation based on food made me chuckle a few times, but really I can say that I won't get serious about this anime. I'll finish it for sure, but not because of it's story (questioning the presence of one, atm); rather because of how completely random and funny it is. This shall be the anime to cheer me up! xD

Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, daikazoku~

May 15, 2009 2:59 PM

Sep 2008
lol the first half of the episode was based on how you eat certain foods xD

May 17, 2009 5:05 AM

Jul 2008
LOL, these are the conversations that I have only when I get high - very random but at the time made to sound very important.
May 26, 2009 9:20 PM
Dec 2008
Kinda disappointed and I guess it is pretty much overrated animu...but this is just me,lets not jump so highly while watching EP 1 , but yeah I was disappointed and pretty bored...I was thinking that it was similar to Azumanga Daioh but its way down the road.

I wonder how I am going to watch this ... even that I like slice of life or some school life animu , this is just too girly for me.

Jun 13, 2009 4:02 PM

Mar 2009
Hahaha the food discussion was just random and funny.

Jun 25, 2009 3:30 PM

Jun 2009
IT does get better than this, right?

I mean I watch like 5 or 6 episodes, it hasn't changed enough for me to continue watching it.
Jul 2, 2009 2:49 AM

Jan 2009
Damn I'm hungry now...
Jul 9, 2009 7:21 AM

Mar 2009
omg it was the most boring episode i've ever seen.....
Jul 28, 2009 5:28 AM

Jul 2009
hummmmm....not quite sure what to think of the first ep...liked the OP,and the characters,i found the part about the food quite boring, and i think the lucky channel girl annoys me for some weird stupid reason^^"
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

chibuki - Sep 16, 2007

252 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:50 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Sep 10, 2007

85 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joseph_ - Aug 27, 2007

112 by biuberry »»
Apr 8, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Lucky Star Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - May 22, 2007

84 by Celt1cs »»
Apr 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sidestep - Aug 19, 2007

62 by biuberry »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.