Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2009 4:41 PM

Dec 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
glad to see that the Elric brothers resolved their quarrel.
and on the next episode, they are leaving without telling anyone where they are headed. sounds like fun
Sep 6, 2009 4:00 PM

Aug 2009
Ooo good episode! Awaiting the next, but alas I need to sleep :/
<object data=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> <embed src=http://www.stoppedxtime.com/MAL%20Sig/HTML2.html width="470" height="140"> </embed> Error: Embedded data could not be displayed. </object>
Jan 19, 2010 10:07 PM

Jul 2009
omg, it was so touching. Ed and Al have to be my two favorite brothers, Wow, what a twist. I knew his mom wouldn't have abandoned them like that, I'm glad it turned out she was blind.
May 14, 2011 3:27 PM

Dec 2010
Touching episode indeed. It's good that Al had enough faith, and didn't need proofs for his existence.
May 25, 2011 3:21 PM

Jul 2010
for a while,i thought ed would get revenge for nina on scar. it doesnt seem like that will happen though.

Jan 1, 2012 7:49 PM
Jan 2, 2012 2:50 AM

Sep 2009
That was sooo retarded.
Ed would rather hold that question in and let Al torment himself
thinking he was holding something back like "Hey Al, you're not real."?

And those children's story...
That woman ridiculous for not letting her kids know she was blind.
She din think that wud be important information in a crisis?
And it's not like they were living in peaceful times.
Also if if you know you blind, wudn't you call out for them immediately
instead of going somewhere they cudnt hear you to start calling?
And I havta assume they cudnt hear her and They assumed she was calling
AFTER they found out she was blind cuz if he had always known she was calling,
he wudnt of said she abandoned them.

Anyway.
Sep 6, 2012 1:41 PM

May 2012
Another great episode! Good that the brothers are re-united again, but wtf was that ending with that secretary goo arm?
Sep 26, 2012 9:19 PM

Jul 2009
yay the brothers were back :D

the blind mother could have at least told the children of her sickness so that they can take care of her.

i also didn't like how the children screamed in front of her since that's what you do if desperately need someone right??

ahh Scar get's away, and yeah Scar is right that Al is HUMAN :P

so Al is definitely NOT a fake one.

Barry the chopper dies!!!!!

finally that bastard had it in coming.

next episode going another trip?? interesting :P
Dec 31, 2012 11:25 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
a nice episode to stop for the day =P
張大です for 張大勇督察
Apr 27, 2013 11:17 PM
Apr 2013
I'd like to spend some time discussing the concept of lost memories.

In honesty, one does not actively hold all of one's memories in one's head. I know my head is fairly empty most of the time--maybe filled with a mood. But memories are only held when they are recalled and actively being examined.

Having said that, the process of recalling a memory harks upon the library of memories that one has access to. I've spoken to my mother recently and she reminded me of childhood memories that I had long forgotten. But when she spoke of them I remembered them perfectly.

Maybe there IS nothing wrong with Al. Maybe, as Ed stated earlier in the series, he really is just going through a lot in life. He can't remember his childhood, but maybe he still has the memories and doesn't have access to them for some reason or another.

Conversely, have any of you ever had the experience of not being able to recall memories you know you should be able to recall? It sounds horrifying and deeply unsettling, so I can understand why Al tweaked so hard in ep. 23/24. It's more than just "remembering a memory", though. it's remembering who you used to be. A part of the existence you've lived through time. Being able to remember a piece of your story can be deeply reassuring, especially one you hadn't recalled in a long time.

These are all disparate thoughts, so feel free to connect the wires in between them as you will. But the concept of memory and its recall (or lack thereof), as harked upon in ep's 23/23, fascinate me.
Aug 18, 2013 12:28 AM

May 2013
Ohhh, so that woman was Envy transformed. No wonder the Homunculus species could bypass the alchemists at the time =.='
Sep 3, 2013 8:48 AM

Mar 2013
Finally Barry is dead. He was really annoying.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Sep 10, 2013 12:04 PM

Jan 2013
Man, Edawrd Elric sure was being pretentious in this episode. All of that drama just because he want's to know if Al hates him or not?
This has been a great series so far (and I'm sure it will continue), and I loved Brotherhood.
Though, this pretentious crap was also in brotherhood (That's Shounen for ya).

Luckily, Hiromu Arikawa adds a LOT of great philosophies, as well as moral, and social issues that you can ponder over. In the end, that's all that this arc was meant for, It was for thinking.

I just wish it wasn't so pretentious, but at least it's not meaningless.

Personally, I liked the story about the young Ishbalan's mother.
Very touching. Than again, all stories about caring mothers touch my heart. :P

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Jan 23, 2014 8:58 PM

Jun 2012
i am really glad it turned out that there mother was blind i couldn't live with it that she abandon them like that i was like serves you right to dy after you walk in that room but now i feel stupid for even thinking that for a moment and feel sorry for her.

i am really happy seeing the progress between Scar and Ed it seems they get more friendly lately and helping each other out and Winry has its own use in the show some say she is useless but she isn't in my eyes.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
May 18, 2014 2:08 AM

Oct 2013
al isnt being a goober anymore yay
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jul 25, 2014 8:52 AM

Jul 2013
Al and Scar working together was cool but yeah she should have told her kids she was blind, that seems silly. I know she didn't want to worry them but they could have helped her out.
Sep 20, 2014 2:21 AM

Jan 2014
An action packed bout.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 27, 2014 5:11 AM
May 2012
I would like to think that she is not blind, instead, on the verge of being blind. I mean, she was looking at them, and she opened the door smoothly. That was touching, though~
Fuck you, Barry the Choppah. Good for you, Al :D
So, Scar is now an ally??
Jan 29, 2015 10:15 AM

Apr 2013
Hey brothers, that's the guy who killed Nina you know? Why Ed was so furious? Oh you don't care anymore, he's your friend now? Oh... well... okay?... I guess... ---___---
Jan 29, 2015 12:43 PM

Jan 2014
Tears that cannot be seen. I guess I've cried plenty of times in my life then.
Jun 1, 2015 8:48 PM

May 2015
Scar telling Al about his unseen tears was too much haha. That was beautiful
Jun 3, 2015 3:07 PM

May 2015
Gator said:
Hey brothers, that's the guy who killed Nina you know? Why Ed was so furious? Oh you don't care anymore, he's your friend now? Oh... well... okay?... I guess... ---___---

Yeah, I didn't get it either. I guess you could say he was putting her out of her misery and Ed gets it now?

Glad Al got it together (body and mind) and they're all back on track!
Jul 8, 2015 2:43 PM

Nov 2014
That was so sad =,( She didn't abandon them, she just couldn't see them...*sniff* T^T
Jul 8, 2015 2:49 PM

Nov 2014
myfoxhat said:
Scar telling Al about his unseen tears was too much haha. That was beautiful

It really was T^T *sniff*
Jul 31, 2015 4:58 PM

Jul 2015
I should have known that it would only take one episode to resolve that problem with AL lol. They just built it up so much, I thought it would be a bigger deal. But that's okay, because this episode was great and I'm happy with how they did it. -- 5/5
Nov 2, 2015 7:19 AM

Nov 2011
Dynamic and interesting episode in the narrative, even if it looks apparently linked from the main plot. Apparently it also seems that the assumptions of Al are false, who knows, however, a final word has not been given. The action during the whole episode was quite good.
Nov 7, 2015 9:30 AM

May 2014
The blind Mom part was so freaking sad. Especially her scream when the side of the building blew up while she was just looking for her kids T_T. Great ep, I guess Scar is gonna end up an anti-hero, which is cool.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Nov 22, 2015 9:46 AM
Nov 2014
Well, that's that for the drama part lol. Still a great episode, nice action scenes.
Feb 6, 2016 9:03 PM

Dec 2013
It was obvious that she didn't really abandoned them.

Good to see Ed and Al's little conflict is done.
Aug 25, 2016 5:22 PM

Jun 2016
I couldn't help but laugh when the only person that it showed get hit by the knives was Rick and it was like directly in his heart. It looked so god damn silly.

Also now Al confidently believes he is a real person even though he was so overly dramatic about how he could be a fake before? Just because Ed felt guilty and thought Al blamed him/came to help him? It's not out of character for Ed to do that so I don't think it makes all that much sense to just suddenly believe him after he does that so completely when compared to his mindset earlier.

Scar is actually the best character in this show he's really grown on me, very solid antagonist.
Jan 27, 2017 5:12 AM
Mar 2015
Seems like much could have been resolved by better communication by all sides. Listen to Winry people.
Feb 9, 2017 3:04 PM

Oct 2014
Haha I love Barry's signature move of coming down from high in the air while shouting his battle cry.
May 19, 2017 1:14 PM

Jan 2013
Sad to hear about their mother basically being blind, at least the older son now finally knows that their mother did care.

Starting to like Scar more, he's also starting to see there's a difference between the military and Ed / AL.
Winry being all happy when Edward and AL were fondly remembering their memories :)
Mar 12, 2018 8:22 PM

Sep 2013
I'm really glad the brothers' feud is resolved. It was getting entirely too morose to be enjoyable. I like Al and Ed best when they have each others' backs...not when they are at each others' throats!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 30, 2019 5:26 PM

Aug 2007
The more and more I navigate life, I realize almost everything boils down to misunderstandings or miscommunication or lack of. Even with people that you trust well, it's vital to disclose feelings fully and often to understand you are growing with people with the same goals.

Jun 20, 2019 1:32 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty slow episode, the first one I disliked. At least we got to know a thing about that mysterious woman, guessing she is Leera.
Feb 3, 2020 3:51 PM

Nov 2017
The episode of misunderstandings.

The one with the mom doesn't seem all that believable to me though. No one knew she was going blind?

Kind of strange seeing Alphonse and Scar hangin' out for periods of time not gonna front, lol
Jun 24, 2020 4:43 PM

May 2020
Solid episode but didn't really care too much about the side story with the kids.

gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
Also now Al confidently believes he is a real person even though he was so overly dramatic about how he could be a fake before? Just because Ed felt guilty and thought Al blamed him/came to help him? It's not out of character for Ed to do that so I don't think it makes all that much sense to just suddenly believe him after he does that so completely when compared to his mindset earlier.

Felt a bit strange that he was so dramatic earlier and two sentences from Ed (while being shot at) smooth everything over again. Way better handled in Brotherhood.

Lycan said:
The more and more I navigate life, I realize almost everything boils down to misunderstandings or miscommunication or lack of. Even with people that you trust well, it's vital to disclose feelings fully and often to understand you are growing with people with the same goals.

I can whole-heartedly agree with this. Communication or a lack thereof is at the center of any human interaction ranging from global down to personal matters. And it can easily be manipulated to further self-interest. That's what public relations, lobbying, politics etc. is all about. To understand this is as important as math or chemistry and should be taught in school IMO. But obviously that's never going to happen, so educate yourselves!
Mar 4, 2021 11:02 PM

Oct 2009
Ishbalans just can't catch a break...
Jun 4, 2021 12:03 PM

Jan 2020
Scar was honestly a GOAT this episode. I'm somehow liking him more and more.

But I'm glad al and ed are back together

Feb 26, 2022 9:45 AM

Jun 2020
iamKetranLang said:
a nice episode to stop for the day =P

Yep. Totally agree.
Oct 11, 2022 9:31 AM

Dec 2016
BeeBeeKay said:
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:

Felt a bit strange that he was so dramatic earlier and two sentences from Ed (while being shot at) smooth everything over again. Way better handled in Brotherhood.

Lycan said:

I can whole-heartedly agree with this. Communication or a lack thereof is at the center of any human interaction ranging from global down to personal matters. And it can easily be manipulated to further self-interest. That's what public relations, lobbying, politics etc. is all about. To understand this is as important as math or chemistry and should be taught in school IMO. But obviously that's never going to happen, so educate yourselves!

The pacing felt so rushed in this episode. Al goes from brooding over the truth of his existence to completely fine and back to being friendly with Ed after a few words from him. The other brother is introduced as hating his mom over a misunderstanding which is promptly resolved in the same episode.
Oct 19, 2022 4:01 PM

May 2018
Things have nicely patched up now. Ed and Al seem like normal kids sometimes haha
Oct 24, 2022 1:56 PM
Aug 2022
2022 rewatch
i felt like the story in this episode could feel better? like i felt al returned to his senses too easily? considering how quick he was to believe he was not real, it would've made more sense for al to finally realize that he is a real person more gradually instead of when ed conveniently shows up. maybe a little tension between ed and al when ed arrives would've made sense.
also what was up with those military people killing off the ishballans again? like who was in charge? we don't really have any context on why they're suddenly doing all of this and why they have barry with them. they most likely picked him up from lab 5 but none of it was mentioned. there's a few more minor issues i have but that's the big things.
other than that, i thought this episode was pretty sweet, and it did have some psychological things like that scene where the mother went into the room that then got destroyed. i guess i just get really impacted with it comes to war violence.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.