Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2009 7:47 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode actually made me go to tears. This was a very good episode.

Loved the part at the end where the whole school would protect Erin and Lilan.
Jul 12, 2009 8:03 AM
Dec 2007
Probably the best episode of the series, filled with emotion and great developments. Erin is growing to be such an impressive character , I love this series !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 12, 2009 8:52 AM
Jul 2009
Uhoh. It's a given that this little secret is going to get leaked. I don't know which side is going to use her and which side will want to kill her.

Since the age-old rule of thumb that humans cannot befriend beasts seems to have been broken by Esal's own concessions, when will we start to see beast-lord cuddle time?
Jul 12, 2009 10:16 AM

Aug 2007
aoikemono said:
Uhoh. It's a given that this little secret is going to get leaked. I don't know which side is going to use her and which side will want to kill her.

Since the age-old rule of thumb that humans cannot befriend beasts seems to have been broken by Esal's own concessions, when will we start to see beast-lord cuddle time?
The first is indeed a given and well, the cuddling will have to wait until Erin builds up enough of a bond with Lilan. I think she ends up at the Queen's side, or some neutral side...

Really glad to see that everyone is going to keep it a secret, at least for now. Otherwise Erin would have pretty much suffered with even more rules that she would need to keep. Now Erin, go conquer the world!
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 12, 2009 12:30 PM

Aug 2008
Not gonna lie, got a little caught up in the moment at the end. Though I'm skeptical that the kid with glasses will actually keep the secret, I'm glad for what's happened. This show seems to improve with every episode. I just can't help but get swept up once the credits roll.

I think we need to worry about the Sa-whatevers that have been trying to attack the queen of late. Somehow, I think they are going to find out about her and ambush the school. I have this nagging feeling that Erin won't complete her education because of the ongoing political struggle.
Jul 12, 2009 7:03 PM

Jun 2007
Would be awesome if Erin's discovery's where taught to the school to help improve the beast lord's living areas. But then again I could see the school becoming it's own faction that could take on everyone which isn't what Erin wants haha.

I too suspect Erin's secret will get leaked. The main issue here is if Erin goes into hiding she cant leave the baby beast lord because she is a mother figure to it. So basically if Erin goes into hiding she has to take the baby or else it will die. I suspect if this happens the only safe place for her would be with the mist people or with the queen herself. Both are very possible. The mist people have been observing her for any hints that she's able to control beasts. That one Queen's secret guard knows about Erin and her idea of using the harp to help the baby.

Speaking of the mist people, they knew about the beast lord's sounds (voices). This leads me to believe that they are tied in with the queen's bloodline somehow.
Jul 13, 2009 2:18 AM

Apr 2009
DeathfireD said:

Speaking of the mist people, they knew about the beast lord's sounds (voices). This leads me to believe that they are tied in with the queen's bloodline somehow.

Wow, good catch there.
Jul 13, 2009 12:39 PM

Feb 2008
Oh captain my captain! hahaha. sorry i just thought of that when i saw that scene.

the boy in glasses is too smart and well versed in the current nature of their political times. its likely he might eventually betray them. other than that, one could almost expect a Judas there.
Jul 13, 2009 4:39 PM

Mar 2008
DeathfireD said:

Good call, that would be cool ^^;;

Anyways,

Yeah I got emotional. The end was just adorable xD. I didn't cry.. (Only CLANNAD and Kanon 2006) made me =<.

And maybe some others but that's not the point.

Anyways great episode. I want 2 know what is going to be next.
And glad the subbers are back on schedule xD. Thank you.
Jul 15, 2009 7:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Awesome development.

We harvested what was slowly but steadily accumulated across the first 20 episodes.

Now $&@# for the @#$#% SLOW dl for the raw episodes 24-27... 1 week!! with 0.3kB/s
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 21, 2009 6:58 AM

Jan 2008
I'm so glad that they all decided to protect Erin from politics.
Jul 23, 2009 1:10 AM

Oct 2008
I loved the ending to this ep. So emotional and happy and friendship.
You can tell the secret's going to be leaked though. Or at least something will happen.
Oct 23, 2009 7:27 PM

Feb 2009
Yeah it is great that everyone wants to protect her and the beast, but how long will it last? I am sure among the school there is at least someone who wants more power.
Jul 10, 2011 10:43 AM

Jun 2010
Erin rejects politics but I imagine she'll be thrust into it anyway at some point.

There's foreshadowing that she'll be an agent of change. She's an ethnic outsider in this society, the current laws killed her mother, and she destroyed her harp's ability to play beautiful notes so that it could do something else instead that was sorely needed to help a creature in serious distress. How's that for a metaphor?
Sep 2, 2011 5:37 PM

Sep 2008
Cute ending, and I'll agree that I thought it was a very good episode. Some of the repetition of previous stuff annoyed me a bit, but it just seems to be a characteristic of this series, and it's not out of place anyway.

I definitely agree with others in that I think someone - or a group of people - are going to spill the secret. Hopefully the peace lasts for at least a little while, though. Long enough for Lilan to heal completely, at the very least.
Nov 5, 2011 8:24 AM

Mar 2010
I have never been very emotional person, but this show just gets to me somehow. So beautiful I want to cry... Or maybe I am just getting soft :D

Anyway, I think the spilling of secret is inevitable for further plot developments.
Jun 6, 2012 7:28 PM

May 2010
So in short this was a summary episode in disguise. And guess what? She cried again. Is she going to cry every episode?

Ishikatsu said:

Anyway, I think the spilling of secret is inevitable for further plot developments.

Yup, my thoughts exactly
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 7, 2013 10:05 PM
Jan 2013
If she could get him to fly, they could go to the mountains, where I think Erin saw Lilan as a baby.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Dec 17, 2013 7:22 PM

Nov 2013
Erin is in a very precarious situation right now, and I fear the school will suffer the repercussions of its decision. Very good episode.
Feb 18, 2014 10:24 AM

Apr 2012
loved the internal political discussion within the school. Heartwarming that everyone promised to keep their mouths shut but how long will this last?!

Mar 24, 2014 8:51 AM

May 2012
Interesting development, I really wonder what's next!
Jun 23, 2014 2:41 AM

Aug 2013
I find it laughable the experts are considered "experts" when they've never even seen a beast-lord in its natural state. Soyon was right when she told Erin that having a sharp mind and being competent might endanger her.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 15, 2014 6:30 AM

Nov 2009
Kind of surprised that the students were just like "Ah, it must be because she used a secret mist person technique" . . . Assuming that she knew these techniques, why would the mist people have one regarding Beast Lords? Supposedly the Queen was the one who tamed them, no? So why would the mist people be able to do so as well?

Anyways, getting a bad feeling about all of this, I think the fact they brought up Erin being potentially used as a weapon means someone is actually going to try and do it. And if there is anyone I can think of that would do it, it would have to be that Uncle dude . . .
Jan 21, 2015 7:30 PM

Feb 2014
Wow I felt the feels, so strong when the entire school supported Erin :O Was grinning at how good it was done

for some reason it felt like this had more feels the scene where her mom died, prob cuz so many scenes were just repeated and it lost its effect

5/5 for Erin being accepted

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
May 5, 2015 1:25 PM

Dec 2013
Damn, the preview was so worrying but it turned out to be a troll
Jun 16, 2015 12:44 AM

Jul 2008
Oh dear, those blasted backwards rules come back to rear their ugly head again. Its great that everyone decided to keep the secret but I don't think this will last.

Now the politics of the show I think will really start to take effect.
Nov 14, 2016 9:08 PM

Jul 2009
Knowing the crapsack nature of this series, there's no way it's gonna stay a secret. Everyone in the school's gonna end up dead probably lol.

Anyways great emotional moments in this episode. One of my favorites in this series so far. A lot of political tidbits too.
Aug 19, 2018 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
People are so afraid of the different, of the unknown, that Erin's origins will haunt her to the end of this story, won't they?

She did what no one else could by deviating from the code she didn't even know about, she saved Lilan's life thanks to her life experiences, her knowledege, and her empathy, and the first thing they do is to treat her as a witch using forbidden techniques of her folk or something, it's awful.

But she's the first human to have a bond with a Beast-Lord, and that will eventually drag her into the big scheme of things, I'm sure there are those that would be pleased to use both her and Lilan as tools of war, or try to frame her as a conspirator or something. But Erin only wants Lilan to be happy, and as close to his nature as possible.

I'm really glad Esal stood up for her, and somehow managed to convince everyone to do the same. That's an acceptance her mother never found in the Village of Ake, and it was moving, but this protection can only last so much, I'm worried.

Tomura is also falling for her, and even though he would be a good fit for her like Yuuyan said, he's a bit bland, I'm rooting for Ial, even though it would be harder for things to work out between him and Erin.

I'm so excited to see where this is going to go.
May 25, 2019 4:37 AM

Oct 2012
Awww Lilan is happy
The scene with Lilan finally free out in the open field reminds me of Monster Rancher
I miss those lovely monsters :(

Those people just don't want to admit that they're all wrong about Ouju (Beast-Lord)
It's more convenient to blame someone as traitor than to admit that they're wrong
That's number one rule country that'll get ruined sooner or later

Aww, awfully nice episode. They all decided to protect Erin and Lilan
I don't know about that though, someone will probably report it eventually
Maybe not, who knows?
"Signature removed"
Nov 8, 2019 4:54 AM

Oct 2015
Damn, Erin is starting to be an important figure now. It was heartwarming to see the school standing with her on the matter, even the glasses kid.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 14, 2020 6:17 AM

Feb 2014
Erin is literally helping Lilan out of the goodness of her heart, for her desire to give them a peaceful life...and it's just so sad that people see that and think “she's a political advantage to me” or “she's powerful and I want to take advantage of that” :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2020 5:00 PM

Mar 2016
Erin is going to be dragged into political and military stuff, that's a fact.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Sep 6, 2020 10:25 AM

May 2019
Really touching how Erin got the trust of everybody there in Kazalm.

What a huge difference from that CURSED place, the Touda farm where her mother died.

It made a clear opposition in this show: Toudas, Military side, BAD. Ouju, Royalty side, GOOD.

Sure, it is just the premisse, then everything is grey (for example the most evil character is that guy from Royalty), but that is the sense of opposition that become clear now.
Aug 2, 2021 10:26 PM

Jan 2021
I’m sweating from my eyes ╥﹏╥
Jan 20, 2022 7:45 PM

Aug 2018
Lovely episode. Erin is finally welcomed!

Feb 27, 2022 3:32 PM

Jan 2010
I liked the deliberations between Esal and the other teachers. They carefully debated Erin's act of communicating with a beast-lord in terms of its cultural context, its political implications, and its potential impact on Erin and the school. In some ways, the choice to protect Erin was self-preservation for the school as well, since Esal made the school compliant in allowing Erin to make contact with Lilan. It could also be Esal recognizing Erin's earnest desire to care for beast-lords. Erin doesn't have any grand scheme, she just wants to care for beast-lords as Jone cared for his bees and farm animals, or how her mother cared for the toudas. That intent, however, may not be fully recognized, so it's amazing that the school managed to agree to protect her at the end.

Also, I have mixed feelings about the school all agreeing to protect Erin. In some ways, this is a continuation of Erin's great fortune in meeting people who would go out of their way to assist her. It's nice that both the teachers and the students conversed amongst themselves, showing they're not blindly supporting Erin. They all have their own reservations and stances, and they all bring up good points for and against helping. Plus, while Erin does make her own decisions and pushes the plot along herself, she's doing so with the support of others. In some ways, it's the argument that no person is an island, and Erin can't accomplish her goals alone. On the other hand, Erin does get lucky a lot, albeit not without her own hard work.

The guidelines set forth by the Beast-Lord Imperatives are meant to prevent any normal person from befriending or communicating with beast-lords - a feat that is reserved only for the Queen. To control beast-lords, whom are symbolic creatures to the country, is to exercise political power, both over the Queen's and the Grand Duke's domains. For the rebels, they could use Erin as a symbol of a new ruler. For the nobles, they would see Erin as an usurper.

Yeah, I'm really interested in the plot now.
ShockedFeb 27, 2022 3:38 PM
Mar 29, 2023 1:32 AM

Nov 2021
I'm afraid that Erin's secret may not stay in the dark for too long.
Nevertheless, a heartwarming episode.
Jul 5, 2023 11:05 AM

Jan 2021
Lilan’s such a cutie on its walk!! I’m very curious as to what Nasson thinks of all this and I’m dying to know what the Aowrow know of Beast-Lord’s. I hope we will get something from them soon.
This was a great episode after yesterday’s somewhat strange one. I loved the active discussion (sort of) of tradition and custom and the effects they can have on knowledge and teaching. It’s hard not to compare this whole situation to the Touda as well and the way that Ake Village is forced to care for them. This whole sitation feels like a foil to the situation that Soyon found herself in in a way.
I find it interesting and a little wild that the beast-lord trainers and teachers don’t really seem to be interested in searching out wild beast-lords. Really shows you how much tradition and custom mean in this society (not that we didn’t have an idea, but it’s good to have it reinforced) and it goes a long way to the perception of Beast-Lords and the kind of people that care for them, and how different Erin really is. That said, I think that final moment proved to me that these people do actually care about Beast-Lords in the end. They can look past their racism/tradition for that notion, and its what makes this place different from Ake in the end.
I wonder exactly how old those imperatives are by now. Tradition can be a disservice as we saw in Ake, and it’s apparent here that tradition has been hampering care once again. Somewhat similarly to Ake, it sounds like the imperatives were created specifically so no one could create bonds with Beast-Lords, rather than to truly care for the animals. The queen’s ancestor’s fearing someone else wresting power from them, which would also taint the mythology of Jue. I’m very excited to see what that means for Erin herself.
Finally, with the queen is symbolized as the Beast-Lord and likely the grand duke symbolized by the Touda. If we take the Beast-Lord nest at face value it very much symbolizes the ongoing conflict in a fun way

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 36 Discussion

wakka9ca - Sep 20, 2009

26 by Rob7 »»
Nov 15, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 42 Discussion

DeathfireD - Nov 1, 2009

31 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 41 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 25, 2009

37 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:03 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 40 Discussion

wakka9ca - Oct 17, 2009

39 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Kemono no Souja Erin Episode 39 Discussion

Ahohime - Oct 11, 2009

40 by CalmTeaTime »»
Oct 21, 2023 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.