Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 11, 2009 3:59 PM
Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Rest in Piece friends, all of you. :,-(
Jul 16, 2009 11:59 PM
Jun 2009
Not as good as i espect
Jul 17, 2009 4:19 PM

Jul 2009
He shouldn't have died. <:'[
It should have ended like the first game. >.>
Sep 15, 2009 9:26 AM
Jun 2009
great series, great end
Sep 16, 2009 9:17 AM

Aug 2009
Not so bad.
Messed up and very melancholic at times, and this end was very long. But hmpf! This is another form of friendship. And casually, I love friendships in fiction.

Well, now I need to see some cheerier anime.
Sep 28, 2009 2:01 PM

Apr 2009

btw at the end she said - welcome back :D
Oct 9, 2009 7:48 PM

Jan 2009
Ouch.....Its been a while since ive watched something so tragic time for a happy anime to heal this wound.
Oct 10, 2009 1:27 PM

Apr 2009
Best ending in an anime I've seen thus far. Very sad, emotional, and excellent in every way. I must confess it brought me to tears.

I'd give Gungrave a 10/10 but I just can't bring myself to do it for a show with a Bob Poundmax blob helicopter that fires skull-tipped missiles from its chest.
Dec 24, 2009 2:42 PM

Aug 2009
NightGaze said:
He shouldn't have died. <:'[
It should have ended like the first game. >.>

they never showed him dying did they? :D
Jan 1, 2010 11:09 AM

Dec 2009
Very emotional. I usually don't watch anime like this but man am I glad I gave it a try!

Kind of want to play the video games now to see the differences.
Heard the video game ending was different
Jan 4, 2010 7:28 PM

Aug 2007
Is it just me or did he die a virgin? Too focused on work... tut tut.... He should have taken the girl instead of letting that old dude have her.
Feb 10, 2010 4:30 AM

Aug 2009
Great series, very sad ending :(

Would have given it a 10 if it wasnt for all that monster nonsense, so 9/10.

Feb 11, 2010 9:58 AM

Jun 2009
Rated it 8/10, really very good mix of action and drama, but necro-rised beings and too much pathos after appearance of this stupid screaming and crying girl Mika (she is damn annoying) are the weak sides. After the first ep I thought the whole series will be the same as it, thank God I was wrong :) .
Feb 19, 2010 1:00 AM
Oct 2009
BioMax said:
Rated it 8/10, really very good mix of action and drama, but necro-rised beings and too much pathos after appearance of this stupid screaming and crying girl Mika (she is damn annoying) are the weak sides. After the first ep I thought the whole series will be the same as it, thank God I was wrong :) .

i totally agree with you, except i would have it as 7
Mar 3, 2010 11:02 AM

Feb 2009
I thought the ending was great. brought up alot of tears, i really feel down now, this show had quite the impact! Of course i agree with mika being annoying, and the ridiculous transformations that occured, but other than that this show is really made by the characters and their story, and that story is amazing and really gets to me. And the music was just kickass in the anime.

9/10, loved it
Mar 11, 2010 10:07 AM
Sep 2009
@ Teufel - "I'd give Gungrave a 10/10 but I just can't bring myself to do it for a show with a Bob Poundmax blob helicopter that fires skull-tipped missiles from its chest."

That was probably one of the reasons contributing to the 9/10 I gave it ;D

Did anyone else get a Kill Bill Vol. 2 vibe in the ending? That noir/western tone that runs through the whole series really makes it!
Mar 25, 2010 8:56 PM
May 2009
Long story short - I own " Gungrave ", and evertime I wacth it ~ Especially the last episode - I cry :'( 100/10
May 15, 2010 9:52 PM

Oct 2009
Really liked it, only thing I didn't like was that he let Big Daddy have Maria, I thought they loved each other...I really can't get over things like that...
May 15, 2010 11:49 PM

Oct 2008
i dont think he died......didnt u notice the girl give a faint smile in the end......
Jun 26, 2010 2:28 PM

Jul 2008
Mika is the only thing stopping this from being a masterpiece of an anime. She did nothing but cry. She was probably one of the weakest female characters I've ever seen. At least Sherry had some decency and didn't always need Harry on her ass every minute.

The ending was pretty nice. A bit confusing at first, but after review it was just awesome.
Sep 15, 2010 10:20 AM

Jul 2009
Mediocre ending to a series which had a lot of potential but failed to fulfill it in my opinion. The transition from mafia to sci-fi never sat well with me and I lost interest after episode 16. The characters were great though so it's disappointing that the story didn't match up. 7/10
Oct 6, 2010 5:27 PM

Jun 2010
After Brandon's death the series went down hill. It's still fun to watch though.
Dec 9, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2009
This episode was beautiful. And sad.
I loved how they showed everyone one by one.

RIP all of you. True friendship will always prevail.
8/10
Jan 3, 2011 1:15 PM

Aug 2009
8/10

Could've been better.

I don't understand what happened in the end. They died , i'm sure of that , but why was Mika smiling ? Brandon and Harry died hugging each other or something like that ?
Jan 17, 2011 12:35 PM
Oct 2010
I dont think he died, the smile on Mika, me not hearing a gunshot, and mika also saying welcome home. There wasn't nothing really saying he did, but the time it takes to drive a car and run up to him is longer than enough, I guess they want the viewers to decide what happened (obviously)
Jan 18, 2011 2:29 AM

Aug 2009
Dude , sorry , but Brandon couldn't possibly survive much longer than a few hours. His body was entirely destroyed and nobody could've saved him , Tokioka died and that lab was destroyed. And in top of that , i don't see the point in Brandon being alive.

Still , i'm surprised that Harry didn't use necrolyze on himself. I wonder why..
Feb 6, 2011 6:02 AM

Jan 2009
Rest in peace,big bro.
"If people want to achieve time travel,they should just put Haruhi on a spaceship.She'd probably just ignore the theory of relativity." - Kyon
Feb 6, 2011 12:29 PM

Aug 2009
I'm fine with the ending, rather than happily ever after type, it's good that it ended in a consistent and emotional way. I believed brandon died too. Signs are clear that he only had a few time to keep walking.

Overall, gungrave is 8/10 in my book. If not for all those ridiculous and disgusting monsters kind of sci-fi thingy, I'd have rated it higher. The later episodes drastically paled in comparison with the backstory episodes. Still, I like the backstory, friendship and betrayal concepts so much that I have to rate it this high.

MRLX69 said:
Is it just me or did he die a virgin? Too focused on work... tut tut.... He should have taken the girl instead of letting that old dude have her.

LMAO, you're not the only one, If I were Brandon, I'd screwed the whole "I'm a sinful hitman and putting my ass in danger" shit, and had her all for myself. " :D
ForsakenArcherFeb 6, 2011 12:36 PM
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Mar 10, 2011 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Amazing last episode. This totally gave me the emotional and story depth that was lacking for the entire series. If this show was remade with more gritty-crime thriller and less video game boss monsters (and better pacing) it would be amazing. As such, good but alot more potential there.
Mar 22, 2011 2:36 PM

Sep 2009
I just love mafia/crime stories. If not for the sci-fi turn, I would have given this at least a 9. The ending was still great though, so I'll give it an 8/10.
Jun 26, 2011 2:17 PM

Jun 2011
Went straight to this series after finishing Cowboy Bebop, and
I'm ready for a much more light-hearted series. >.<'

Albeit both made it into my favorites.
AnchiHiroAug 18, 2013 10:11 AM
Sep 7, 2011 11:57 PM

Apr 2011
So touching, this was really such a great story. Didn't want the end to be such a tragedy but..

~It's been a while since I granted a "Great" score..

~Brandon doesn't die, not at all. Google Gungrave: Overdose, not an anime sequel but at least it is the sequel of the story.
K-ShuunSep 8, 2011 12:48 AM
Apologies, I just can't avoid to rant.
Sep 26, 2011 5:25 PM

Jun 2007
This would've been the perfect final episode, if not for Big Daddy putting his hand on Maria's shoulder in NTR fashion. Just when you think Brandon might get another chance as a spirit to get it on with his true love, Big Daddy appeared as a spirit to cockblock him. I'm sure the writers were trolling when they decided to let an old man impregnate a woman half his age, when she only ever loved the virgin lead... I know, in reality, people don't always make the right choices and it was realistic in that sense, but seriously: LET THE LEAD DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN KILL PEOPLE ALIVE AND COME BACK TO DO MORE KILLING AFTER DRYING! He'd give basement dwelling otaku a run for their money in the virgin league.

...Anyway, the final episode was as good as it could've been, ignoring the BrandonxMariaxBig Daddy fuckery. Brandon always communicated through his actions and he wasn't about to change his style when confronted with the man who'd killed him: he saved him over and over until it clicked that he wasn't ever able to truly betray Harry. Brandon ACTUALLY SPEAKING A FEW WORDS to hammer this home as Harry sobbed - apologizing over and over - was touching.

Even after everything that had happened and all of the people that Harry had killed, deep down they were still best friends. It was nice for them to go out together with their relationship repaired, rather than the series ending with Harry transforming into some kind of demonic monster. The series had its weaker moments because of the undead stuff, for sure, but it says a lot about the non-undead writing for the series to end with their bond of broship still intact.

Overall, Gungrave is still worth a spot in my top ten, many years after I first watched it in a Berserk-esque 26 episode marathon. The Blood War, Bob-heli, Lee-spider and Big Daddy NTR did detract from my enjoyment, but even when Gungrave was bad it was still betterthan most animated rubbish pumped out. So good was the characterisation that I ended up preferring Harry over a certain Michael Corleone. I might have been conflicted over my score, had the series not improved as it neared the end, but episodes 24-26 were all in the 9-10/10 tier and made up for much of the post-gangster disappointment that came before.
Nov 21, 2011 7:29 PM
Dec 2009
This would of been an easy 9-10, but an 8. Could of ended better, so what happened, the future? Really, they could have ended it better, however the rest was nice. I had some issues with some parts of the anime, but it ended nicely, could have been better...
tag©.androgynous
Nov 25, 2011 6:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wonderful last episode. Really touching.

My take on Brandon is that people expect too much from him. At the end he was what he always was. An orphan in search of love/family who was loyal to his friend to the last. If Harry hadn't shot him back in the day, Brandon would have probably remained with him. He chose Harry McDowell all along.

And even though he loved Maria, he was incapable of having a romantic relationship with a woman. He just couldn't imagining himself making her happy and that's why he was content with letting Big Daddy ending up with her.

9/10 just because the Superiors were too silly. They should have done a better job with that.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 25, 2011 8:57 AM
Nov 2011
great show, once all the sci fi happend in episode 19 or so i felt the series went down hil a bit, however the last episode was a realy good and soild way of concluding the series
Feb 11, 2012 5:14 AM
Dec 2010
I'm not usually the type to watch a lot of anime with mafioso themes, but I really did enjoy this series.

I really did feel for Brandon, as not once did he even try to explain or defend himself, especially towards his enemies. He just maintained his humble silence.

I don't think the female cast was done all that well, I feel their roles could've been expanded on a little bit.

Watching the end of the final episode, I got a real feeling of deja vu. Does anyone think this ending is quite similar to that of Requiem for the Phantom? There is much to speculate over in relation to this episode. Personally, I don't see either of them surviving, especially since Brandon was only given a period of 10 days to live after Tokioka (presumably the only one with the knowledge to maintain/revive Brandon) died.

To be honest, I believe Mika lost it towards the end, as I remember one particular scene where she just sat on the porch of a random shop or house, humming a tune with blank eyes. I don't blame her, she lost everyone she cared for within the space of about 5 episodes!

There were also times where I almost wished she'd be shot.. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this series, regardless of the contrast in genre that I'm used to. 8/10.
Feb 13, 2012 2:20 PM
Dec 2011
MRLX69 said:

yeah that made me mad too. He should've got the girl.
Mar 8, 2012 11:36 PM
Sep 2008
God damn that was great.

But holy hell do I need to watch something light and fluffy now to counterbalance all the tragedy.
Mar 24, 2012 12:51 PM

Jan 2012
All the necro zombies crap ruined the show for me...

They were totally unnecessary. I know they're trying to appeal to both mature and young audiences, but they really should've stuck with the former. The first 2/3 was worth watching, then it turned to shit and very anti-climatic all the way to the end.

*hops on overrated crew boat*
Jul 13, 2012 10:48 PM

Aug 2010
This series was amazing until episode 17, and then it went a little downhill. However, I did enjoy the final episode, it really redeemed Harry's character.

Overall I give this series an 8/10
Jul 21, 2012 2:29 AM
Jun 2012
in the end friendship prevails.

this anime is deep and meaningful. ;)
Sep 11, 2012 12:47 AM
Nov 2010
;-;
Wow, very very emotional, touching and beautiful. The whole concept of betrayal and friendship was so well done that I couldn't help but shed a lot of tears.

The majority of characters had so many layers and such good stories that I truly enjoyed them.
Bear Walken's internal conflict between his daughter and the family. Lee's change from a person who loved his brother to a sadistic bastard but you couldn't hate him because of how he cared about Bob and his loyalty to Harry.
Bunji was so interesting, how he changed from a mercenary kind of person to a loyal mafioso but still somehow remained as the same mercenary cool guy.
Brandon...oh Brandon. That guy has issues, he should start caring about himself a bit more but wow, that heart of his made me like him a lot.
And Harry, his character development was so 'satisfying' I truly enjoyed his character, his hunger for power, for freedom; how he lied to himself to forget how guilty he actually feels. Everything about his character was so wonderful to my eyes. Earned a place in my top 10.

Some downs, obviously, were the necrolyzed people and Mika, they are the only reason why I'm rating this potential masterpiece as a 9/10.
Oct 29, 2012 12:57 PM

Jul 2012
Damn you who ever made gungrave anime for the ending !!! you totally ruined it... even in the origin game of gungrave ...... the ending was different ... it was more epic than the anime itself (*in the game.... brandon killed harry without hesitating*) .......... _l_... .......... ...i wanted Harry to be killed by brandon because of his betrayal to the organization,big daddy and brandon....... used to give it 9/10 rating but because of the ending i changed my rating to 8 .... i know it deserve 7 but i was in love with the game on ps2 back then so..... ye 8 xD .
Nov 30, 2012 11:40 PM
Aug 2012
even if most you guys say you dont like the second half of the anime when it became unrealistic but to me it was still awesome it made the anime stand out then most of the anime out there if it wasn't for the second half we never would have this awesome ending
Jan 9, 2013 2:38 PM

Nov 2011
Well this series wasn't that good but I enjoyed it. And yes, the ending of the "Brandon...", saw that coming.

Anyways, 8/10 for the series. Season 2? Hell if I know.
Jan 16, 2013 9:16 PM
Jan 2013
I liked it
The scenes that made me cry were:
Bunji and Brandon fight made me cry a little seeing as though they practically considered each other brothers.

When Brandon's first two co workers were killed. :(

And when Brandon tells Harry that he couldn't bring himself to kill his best friend.
Very emotional indeed.

Although I agree Mika was completely annoying even Bunji told her to shut up multiple times.
Brandon and Maria should have been together in the episode Daughter I thought they would some how make it a twist stating that Mika was Brandon's daughter.

As for the ending I liked it but I wish that there was a clear answer to whether Brandon's dead or alive.

Also when they first show Maria with her daughter (Mika) It seems like Maria's a freaking android or something based on how her reactions are.

It's also creepy to me that while Maria and Big daddy first hooked up she still called him uncle in one scene 0_0

I would have to say that Bunji is one of my favorite characters in the series,along with Brandon,and Bear.
Jan 23, 2013 1:59 AM
Jul 2011
Eh. It's not original in the least. The show becomes a living copy of the Trigun formula after about episode 15. I did enjoy it, though.

7.5/10
Feb 1, 2013 4:32 PM

Jan 2012
Bullshit. I wanted a good ending for Brandon, he suffered enough. Well, I suppose it was fine. Anyway, loved the show without a doubt.

Feb 3, 2013 9:12 PM
Jan 2013
Brought tears to my eyes. 10/10
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cantius - Apr 18, 2009

73 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 9, 2009

30 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 11, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 25 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

31 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 24 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

46 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:33 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 23 Discussion

TitanioVerde - Sep 16, 2009

24 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 12:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.