Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Feb 9, 2015 7:16 PM

May 2014
Loving this. I can see it applies to a niche audience. Looks like a lot of people above don't fall into this niche category. Personally, I love the very deep story and dialogue between the characters. I mean, I actually enjoyed the Endless Eight of Haruhi. So I definitely fall into the category of viewers that love this kind of anime.

Pretty sexy opening scene, not gonna lie. Very intense episode, harsh backstory but very good. The imouto are most definitely very kawaii. Looking forward to more!
Apr 13, 2015 9:34 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
A lot of people are complaining about the show being boring - I disagree, I really enjoy it so far. But I understand their point of view since the it's very dialogue heavy
May 6, 2015 10:32 AM

Nov 2012
this anime is so unique
Jun 5, 2015 8:36 PM
May 2010
I liked this episode more than the previous one. The first episode was rather 'typical', with the standard high school setting and everything. This one actually has some pretty interesting things going on, including the mythology of the gods that reminds me of Mushishi. And I love how they play a subversion on the girl's previously stoic attitude by explaining that it was the loss of emotions that caused her to act like that.

Hope the show keeps this cleverness up.
Jun 16, 2015 4:48 PM

May 2014
This anime is odd odd odd !! I mean ... just like in the previous ep I watched this episode wondering what was going on like I don't understand anything but at the end of it it's like everything become clearer ....
Actually I wonder if this anime is genius or totally crazy!

But anyway it's kind of addicting ...
Jun 18, 2015 9:20 PM

May 2015
This anime is definitely a niche genre as stated above. Though I was a bit hesitant hearing this anime was dialogue heavy I'm actually in love with it. I think the dialogue and pacing are perfect. Plus this is just so beautiful to watch for only being 2 episodes in. The end crab scene was really great and Hitagi's apology at the end was becoming of her.
Jun 30, 2015 9:13 AM

Jul 2014
This wasn't as dreadfully boring as episode 1, but it was still far from what I would call "remotely interesting". I'm still not seeing what's so great about the dialogue. What's the point with all the still images saying "Animation number"?

2/5
Jul 24, 2015 11:14 AM

Jul 2015
This anime has me curious, but so far I've yet to see the appeal. Granted, it's only been 2 episodes. I'm still going to watch it, and hope that it gets better.

My favorite scene was at Hitagi's apartment. Even though she was acting a bit unusual (I guess due to her emotions being stripped from her?), I found the dialogue between her and Araragi quite entertaining. :) As for the rest, it was a bit slow and confusing. Plus, the art style (that I guess is a Shaft thing, like in Madoka) is bit weird for me.

Regardless, I want to know what Hitagi is like now that she has her emotions back. And why did Araragi's weight nearly double? ✿ 3/5
Aug 3, 2015 8:25 PM

Sep 2014
Your weight should only be carried by you. Ep 2.

Plot: The truth of Senjougahara problem is revealed and though bittersweet, she can now move forward.

Character: Senjougahara shows her meekest side revealing her past and the root that made her weightless. Her situation is a rough one and in doing so, she forgot something painful but important to her heart. It's up in the air on how she acts from this revelation but it does bring in a sweet moment between her and Araragi.

Oshino knows judo. Flipping Gods like a Boss.

Araragi is still pretty meek and easily lead from Hitagi's words.

Animation/sound: Still good on the music and stapler, stapler" is a pretty decent beat. The animation is eye catching and the way the Crab was show was certainly unique. Not great mind you but unique and sufficiently creepy.

5/5. The resolution of Hitagi Crab opens the door for many things but even with the burden of feelings/obligations/thoughts, that doesn't mean you can't work towards being happy.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Sep 13, 2015 12:00 AM

Jul 2014
I'm loving Senjougahara. The dry wit in her dialogue and her abuse of Araragi >.<
Nov 9, 2015 7:08 AM

Feb 2013
First half of the episode Araragi :

Nov 28, 2015 3:07 PM
Nov 2015
I really love this episode over the last. I became more interested as they started to give more background info to the characters. Animation was top notch. GGWP
Dec 19, 2015 3:54 PM

Jan 2012
lol this girl is proud of fan service.

Dec 26, 2015 2:05 PM

Dec 2015
Definitely better than the first ep, now the story is understandable. Didn't appreciate the rape backstory but there's nothing perfect I guess.
Jan 11, 2016 6:00 AM

Mar 2015
Lol, the head tilt! SHAFT strikes again! This is Nisekoi and Madoka head tilt lol.

Sasuga SHAFT. Head tilt. Never change SHAFT.

The tsundra girl have no shame lol. The rape attempt backstory is meh, well shouldn't that make her more afraid of guys? NOT actually becoming what I'd call "bitchy" move? By going nude in front of a guy? Just me? okay.

Feb 11, 2016 7:53 AM

Mar 2013
Character interactions are already GOLD. Senjougahara smile at the end sold the entire episode
Mar 1, 2016 1:55 PM

Jan 2015
100 KG ...... While the girl ways 5 KG LOLZ
Mar 26, 2016 9:01 AM

Nov 2015
-Do you know about verbal abuse?
-Then call the verbal abuse police.
BURN!

-You think I'm stupid, right?
-*Scared* How did you know!?
BURN! (Again)

Wow, this chick is evil! O.o

Again with fan service, I don't like it but I won't deny the show looks great despite of it.
Jun 19, 2016 10:42 PM
Jul 2015
Aha, Senjougahara has a personality.

This show is really well-done. ^^
Jun 26, 2016 11:14 AM

Mar 2016
I preferred this episode to the first one

Its so interesting and unique
Jul 21, 2016 12:57 PM

Apr 2013
Surprisingly despite all the talking in this episode I wasn't bored at all. Also Hitagi has a fine body and isn't afraid to show it, nice :3
Aug 12, 2016 6:50 AM

Aug 2010
Wow, that was pretty amazing (the latter part of the episode). I was super confused by the first episode, but thank goodness I continued on with this episode.
Sep 18, 2016 10:58 AM
Feb 2016
I don't understand what's going on
Jan 10, 2017 2:05 PM

Feb 2013
I'm not really a fan of fan service (lol), but this show managed to keep the scene interesting, so it didn't ruin the episode for me. The whole Senjougahara back story was interesting and made me feel sorry for her. I'm glad she got her weight back. Kinda wanna see where this is going.

By the way, Araragi should put on some weight, 55 kg is nothing.
Jan 27, 2017 8:04 PM

May 2013
Meh. Even the second ep with more action was still pretty boring. Might drop soon :/
Jan 28, 2017 2:22 PM

Jun 2013
Holy Shit that was incredible!
Jan 30, 2017 3:57 PM

Apr 2015
Amazing Episode!!!
Jul 22, 2017 7:11 PM

Mar 2017
This show is lit!!!
Aug 24, 2017 4:20 PM

May 2014
This was way better than the first episode.
Wow, I did not expect this series to be so heavy- I never would've thought Senjougahara had such a hard past.
It hit me in the heart when she cried.

I definitely liked the symbolism of the Crab and the weight it stole being emotional weight/the burden of pain.
I can only admire her for taking it back and dealing with it even though it wouldn't do anything to change her current situation.

I thought the arc would be an episode or two longer but apparently this series works fast and we're onto another girl's problem next episode.

Also kind of hoping that Senjougahara doesn't change too much after getting her emotions back.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2017 8:24 PM
Jul 2017
That was pretty amazing! It made a lot more sense, and the events were actually natural and relatable. The usage of photography and live action footage looks super cool and creepy! I loved it
Sep 15, 2017 12:56 AM

Jun 2016
Holy shit. I'm hooked. This show is soooo good. Loved this episode.

No wonder Senjougahara doesn't smile a lot or like she's emotionless because of that crab. That explains everything. Poor her. She just defended herself from that pervert and everything went to shit for her. Her mother is a piece of shit, eh?

Araragi x Senjougahara? I ship it. Lmfao.

When she smiled and acting cutesy. Kyaaa. Pretty.

Araragi's sisters are so cute. Haha.

9/10 so far for this anime. Ugh. So far, so good.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 7, 2017 8:15 PM

May 2014
I don't know how to describe this show besides just "interesting". It's not like many shows I've seen, and I've seen plenty of anime. Liking this a lot, especially the music! 5/5
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Nov 9, 2017 10:23 AM

Oct 2017
I really like this art style seems pretty unique and interesting.
Knorkuraxu-ChanNov 9, 2017 10:39 AM
Dec 23, 2017 5:55 PM

Dec 2016
This show is as complex and crazy as it is enjoyable, which means for me means very fucking enjoyable lmao
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 28, 2017 11:41 PM

Sep 2013
So she got her weight back, but he got extra weight in the process?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 15, 2018 3:50 AM

Jun 2016
Started watching this show during my lunch break. It's weeiiiiirrrrrdddd...

It may be SHAFT's style, but I also feel like this anime is trying SO hard to be artistic. Some of it works, some feels a bit desperate.

I'll give it a couple more episodes, since I am interested, but I don't understand the hype yet.
Jan 29, 2018 10:00 PM
Nov 2017
Definitely a change of pace from what I am used to, and I am kinda liking the chick. Crab was creeps
Mar 23, 2018 11:11 AM

Feb 2018
Well, didn't hate it as much as ep 1, but was appalled by the humor. Serious parts were ok, but I have a feeling that there won't be many parts such as this.

Going to do myself a favor and drop it.
Apr 3, 2018 4:27 PM

Sep 2017
Nothing in this episode was satisfactory. And Araragi is one lame MC, accepting Senjoughara's friendship like it will get him laid. Also he was unnecessarily feeling for the girl. Get a grip for god's sakes.

Also, in the last scene, his sisters waking him up reminds me of Kiss x Sis.
Senjoughara is really one shameless bitch. She reminds me of Aqua.

And we have the infamous SHAFT head tilt, patented for your satisfaction.

If the next episode isn't satisfactory, I might just put this on hold or even drop it. The plot was pretty predictable. Girl goes to temple to get her wish, it bounces back, then suddenly girl prays in a over dramatic fashion in order to get her wish granted. Whoa. So original.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 21, 2018 1:23 AM

Nov 2017
Love the OP, and Senjyogahara is a pretty cool character. Again, the animation is gorgeous!
May 23, 2018 8:52 AM

May 2017
Don't even know what to make of this so far but I'm intrigued... and a little creeped out.
Aug 26, 2018 2:57 PM

May 2018
I'm liking this anime, let's see the develop of this first part of the Monogatari Series.:D

Wow, Araragi weighing 100kg lol. Senjogahara's fanservice was perfect.
"No matter where you go, everyone's connected." Iwakura, Lain.

Nov 11, 2018 8:42 AM

Aug 2017
The episode turned dramatic in the 2nd half.

Senjogahara's past is sad. The heavy stone crab is weird and Araragi gain weight lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 19, 2018 7:42 PM

Feb 2017
This episode was pretty gratuitous with fanservice, which I don't really care about either way, but since it tries to be artsy at the same time I guess it gets an easy pass. Based on the character, it might have been symbolic. Since her traumatic event involved someone attempting to molest her body, her feelings or shyness in regard to her body might have been part of the things taken away from her by the crab god. I'll have to wait and see if she is just as shameless after this episode's resolution. In that case, this fanservice would be plain gratuitous after all, lol.
May 10, 2019 4:32 PM

Dec 2018
She finally accept her past and get her feeling back. So that's why she was so cold before. When she goes 180 it's her real personality.

So I presume, the weight of Senjougahara is added to Araragi.
Kish0May 10, 2019 4:35 PM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
May 19, 2019 10:21 PM

Sep 2017
I still have absolutely no idea what is going on, but I'm enjoying whatever this is. Araragi is a great protagonist. And I knew the timeline for Monogatari is fucked, but it is already referencing events from the past that will likely come up in the future? This is so confusing.
May 30, 2019 11:29 PM

Feb 2016
Loved the interaction between Araragi and Senjougahara, that fanservice tho
Jul 4, 2019 8:22 AM

Nov 2017
Ahhh, the infamous head tilt.

Really enjoyed this episode. It was a nice introduction to Waifugahara's backstory and the source of her insecurities and hostility. In the first episode she lashes out at Araragi (mayne, even though I speak Japanese now I still have a hard time saying that name for some reason lol), but in this episode she's able to express them in a more constructive manner.

She's just like the crab: has a hard exterior and wields pincers. In this episode, you get to see what's under the shell. But she's not the crabs in the bucket type.

That one piano piece apparently called "素敵滅法" is sooo good!~ The OP and ED too!

&++ her smile at the end...

Gaaaaaah! <333
Jul 5, 2019 11:19 AM
Nov 2015
* Well, this was an episode. Think it should be divided into two parts.
* Part 1- alot of , let's say fun and "exciting" fan service throughout coupled with an abundance of exchanges between her and araragi, that provided some insight into her characterization and referenced somethings in a previous conversation of the last episode, regarding the moon and its shapes on it. Apparently Araragi, has a thing for cosmology. What's interesting is that inspite of being fully dialogue, i was fully into and never got bored, such that scene went by quite quickly despite being 10 minutes. Also, the fan service alot of effort was put into the framing and animating. Really liked the banter between senjogohara and araragi once again.
* Part 2- Well, this was darker than i expected. Hitagi backstory was unexpected and added alot of depth to her character anf ailment. Was expecting a slightly more intense confrontation with the crab, but what i got instead was a direction that focused on the weighty emotional aspect which is apt considering that its called the emotion god. Was kinda disappointed that there wasn't more intense confrontation, but emotional and psychological depth of senjogohara made up for most of my disappointment. And it was probably the better direction to head towards as it helped to develop senjogohara character really well within the span of 2 episodes.
Well, overall hitagi crab was a good introduction into what to expect from the series and what its about lets see where we can go from here. And hopefully we get more interactions with senjogohara and araragi.
Oct 27, 2019 5:54 AM

Oct 2019
I kept hearing about this anime and kept pushing it off to later, because I thought the fanservice would piss me off too much. But man, that was darker and deeper than I expected OO

If you look pass the fancy visuals and supernatural elements, it's the story of a girl whose mother arranged to have her raped, and who as a result went completely dead inside in order to avoid dealing with the horror that she experienced. Damn.

Plus the anime doesn't beat you over the head with it, just lets you take it in. That was unexpectedly good, I might have been too quick to judge on this one xD
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
11 hours ago

» Watch Order 2024?

GoCrayzee - Jan 27

25 by HeshamJohnny »»
Apr 13, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

517 by Murky304 »»
Apr 8, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 4, 2009

275 by artemis-cr »»
Apr 2, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

687 by 94jf »»
Apr 1, 8:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.