Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 10, 2009 1:09 AM

Apr 2009
So, I haven't even heard of the anime Higurashi no Naku Koro ni before I joined MAL, but ever since I did, all I ever hear is how good it is. So I put it on my plan to watch list, but that didnt make anything better, as I still see it everywhere, and then I noticed how highly its ranked, and how popular it is.

Basically, I want to hear from some people who have seen the series why they think its so great (or not) and why. What are its major good points that has made it such a popular anime? Basically, convince me that it should be the next anime I watch.

(Please give me an answer with as little spoilers as possible please, I find it impossible to enjoy an anime if its major plot points are spoiled)

Jul 10, 2009 3:19 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
There's no better thing than to just start watching yourself, not start asking questions while you're still in the middle of it and enjoy it.

The characters are great, and done by very good seiyuu. The music fits very well too and the whole concept of the anime is something I hadn't seen before. Things like that made me love the series. S1 is still in my faves list here on MAL. Grab some good subs, and just watch it without asking too many questions. They'll just get you spoiled.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 10, 2009 10:12 AM

Apr 2009
I wasn't asking for spoilers, I just want to know why so many people think its so great. I mean, I see and hear about it everywhere, which was a surprise to me, as like Ive said, I never even heard of it before I joined MAL, and I liked to think of myself as being on top of anime knowledge.

Jul 10, 2009 10:52 AM

Jun 2008
It's kind of hard to explain why it's great without spoiling it though
Jul 10, 2009 1:40 PM
Jul 2009
well....the story is just plain amazing. You are always trying to figure out whats going on. The scary elemets and the suspense is done perfectly. I just started watching this myself, and to me its one of the best, if not the best anime I have ever seen. I think its also the only anime where I would give nearly every episode a perfect 10. Just watch the first 4 episodes (first arc) and see if you like it.
Jul 10, 2009 1:43 PM

Sep 2008
I honestly didn't think it was all that great *awaits flaming*. The first season leaves you in the dark and basically requires you to see the second just so you can start to understand the entirety of the story. The animation was subpar, almost a pain to watch considering that this isn't that old. The v/os weren't that bad, neither was the music, but they weren't good enough to make up for the things I didn't care for about this series. The only thing that kept me going was the gore.
Jul 10, 2009 1:53 PM

Jul 2007
I have to agree with MotokoAramaki I just started watching it and I am at ep 10 of 1st season but I don't think this anime is SO great. I don't think it deserves all the hype that it gets. There are way better anime out there that deserve to be ranked higher than this but o well that is my opinion. I'll see how it turns out.
Jul 12, 2009 5:45 PM

Apr 2009
Well, I might as well give it a shot.

And I might as well ask while Im here, are all those alternative versions necessary to watch? And by necessary I mean do they add to the story and are as good/better as the original?

Jul 12, 2009 5:46 PM

Jan 2009
killer loli's ^-^
Jul 12, 2009 6:11 PM

Feb 2009
Watch this at 3 in the morning, on a summer night, when it's all dark out side and there's no noise. Makes the experience much more disturbing (in an enjoyable kind of way), especially for the earlier episodes. x)

I marathoned this recently and I loved it for the atmosphere and how the situation gets f*cked up so fast, you're still wondering what happened last time when a new arc starts. Before watching I thought this was gonna be like Elfen Lied which is basically "Lulzlolikillerz", but it's actually much more scary and disturbing because they're not just throwing gore at you "for the lulz". This definitely deserves its "psychological horror" tag.

And since the show has lots of mysteries, adding more with every "question arc", it feels satisfying when you can confirm your theories (or not) when the "answer arcs" kick in (even though everything is much more explained in the second season).
AlexstratzJul 12, 2009 6:16 PM
Jul 20, 2009 12:38 PM
Apr 2009
I started watching it thinking that it would be a really terrifying show, but it wasn't, and as I was watching it, I kept thinking maybe I was watching the wrong show. >_< But I'll admit that the first arc was a little creepy because I wasn't used to the whole killer loli thing yet.

What makes this series enjoyable are all of the questions that you'll have after you finish an episode which make you want to immediately watch the next episode to find some answers. If it weren't for that, then I may have dropped it after a few episodes. Still, I don't think I'm going to watch the second season.
Jul 20, 2009 12:40 PM

Jun 2008
You should give the second season a try. It's a bit different from the first season
Jul 20, 2009 12:57 PM

Apr 2009
Hmm, it seems that you either love or hate this anime without much middle ground. Well, since I have yet to hate an anime, I guess the chances are pretty high that Ill like it.

If my schedule works out okay, I may start it tomorrow.

Jul 20, 2009 1:03 PM
Apr 2009
hirahira said:
You should give the second season a try. It's a bit different from the first season

I might watch an episode or two to see how it is.
But I feel like I'm missing out on something because there are so many good things being said about this series, but I didn't enjoy it that much. The way the episodes were ordered is a cool thing, but I didn't feel much suspense or anything while watching it.
Jul 20, 2009 1:12 PM
Jun 2008
What makes Higurashi so great?

Um...

Er...

Ah...

*scratches head*
Jul 20, 2009 1:25 PM

Apr 2009
Murder mystery, suspense, great writing and a terrific plot. Oh and it is funny and the times they aren't killing eachother.

Jul 22, 2009 12:00 PM

Feb 2008
Personally I have no idea why everyone thinks it's so great. I was just like you, I'd never heard about it until I joined MAL and then all of a sudden I was getting all these people recommending it to me. Well I did not enjoy it past the second episode.

To put it as softly as possible I thought it was crap.
Jul 31, 2009 8:07 PM

Mar 2008
Nothing.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Aug 18, 2009 7:19 AM

Jun 2009
Higurashi is awesome.. if you want to think. It may seem like some generic horror anime at first but roughly half way through the first season it proves that it's more than that. The problem is most people don't have the patience to sit through a show that make you go "wtf?" because you don't know what's going on.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 3, 2009 10:32 AM

Jul 2009
Well, I just recently watched it, and the thing that made it great was definitely the characters, and the constant mystery. I wouldn't say its incredible or groundbreaking, but its an interesting concept (Actually, the concept truly is amazing) and is executed superbly.

I wouldn't say theres anything special - I think it could possibly be considered special to myself because its one of the first of its kind I've seen - I started watching and constantly was reminded of all of Keys work (Air, Kanon, Clannad), but it took an interesting spin. I loved Keys work, so I was bound to love something like this. Many compare this to Elfen Lied. Okay, take Elfen Lied, give it a storyline that isn't filled with plotholes, put in far better voice acting, far better animation (Yes, I consider the animation of Higurashi above standard), and make the characters actually unique. Also, give the characters a reason to do what they do, because I don't know what demonic gang of 8-10 year olds would beat the shite out of a puppy for the sake of bullying a girl because she has horns (I'm not a fan of unrealistic stories, although I apologize to Elfen Lied fans and say, Lucy is a VERY cool character).

TLDR: Its not really special. Give it a try though, its definitely worth it. Asking questions is NOT the way to go, if you want to watch something, watch the first few episodes.

EDIT: Oh, and the atmosphere is played out perfectly.
PsychodrakeSep 3, 2009 10:58 AM
Sep 3, 2009 10:59 AM

Sep 2008
Psychodrake said:
Okay, take Elfen Lied, give it a storyline that isn't filled with plotholes, put in far better voice acting, far better animation (Yes, I consider the animation of Higurashi above standard), and make the characters actually unique.

I believe you wanted to say "take Elfen Lied, fill the story with plotholes, put in far worse voice acting, far worse animation, and make the characters unable to develop themselves because of stupid arched plot".
Really, man...the "story" in Higurashi doesn't stand any slight criticism, and the animation is awful shitty Deen copypasta; even if it's much newer than Elfen Lied it looks over 9000 times worse. Really, Studio Deen = the cheapiest crappy animation, everyone knows it including Deen animators themselves. It's the lowest-profile lowest-budget studio in the whole anime industry.

Also, give the characters a reason to do what they do, because I don't know what demonic gang of 8-10 year olds would beat the shite out of a puppy for the sake of bullying a girl because she has horns (I'm not a fan of unrealistic stories, although I apologize to Elfen Lied fans and say, Lucy is a VERY cool character).

You know, stuff like that happened in real life. Many times. A puppy? Unrealistic? Hell, there were plenty of cases of 8-10 year olds beating or strangling other kids to death, burning other kids alive, stabbing their little 4-5 y.o. siblings with knives for the sake of bullying or whatever damn reason. You want to say that is unrealistic and some random god reincarnation story and a shitty virus making people kill each other is more realistic? Really, I don't know what to say...

I've had a good laugh reading all that though. Thanks.

And Higurashi is utter crap. No more, no less.
Sep 3, 2009 12:03 PM

Jul 2009
seishi-sama said:
Psychodrake said:
Okay, take Elfen Lied, give it a storyline that isn't filled with plotholes, put in far better voice acting, far better animation (Yes, I consider the animation of Higurashi above standard), and make the characters actually unique.

I believe you wanted to say "take Elfen Lied, fill the story with plotholes, put in far worse voice acting, far worse animation, and make the characters unable to develop themselves because of stupid arched plot".
Really, man...the "story" in Higurashi doesn't stand any slight criticism, and the animation is awful shitty Deen copypasta; even if it's much newer than Elfen Lied it looks over 9000 times worse. Really, Studio Deen = the cheapiest crappy animation, everyone knows it including Deen animators themselves. It's the lowest-profile lowest-budget studio in the whole anime industry.

Also, give the characters a reason to do what they do, because I don't know what demonic gang of 8-10 year olds would beat the shite out of a puppy for the sake of bullying a girl because she has horns (I'm not a fan of unrealistic stories, although I apologize to Elfen Lied fans and say, Lucy is a VERY cool character).

You know, stuff like that happened in real life. Many times. A puppy? Unrealistic? Hell, there were plenty of cases of 8-10 year olds beating or strangling other kids to death, burning other kids alive, stabbing their little 4-5 y.o. siblings with knives for the sake of bullying or whatever damn reason. You want to say that is unrealistic and some random god reincarnation story and a shitty virus making people kill each other is more realistic? Really, I don't know what to say...

I've had a good laugh reading all that though. Thanks.

And Higurashi is utter crap. No more, no less.

Unfortunately, we'll disagree with each other until the end, as you are clearly a big fan of Elfen Lied.

Higurashi is clearly not utter crap, or people wouldn't be watching it. Don't say such a foolish thing on a public forum. I could quite easily say that Elfen Lied is utter crap, but as you've shown me, people will always defend what they like. At least Higurashi didn't have to cover up its plot holes with gore and boobs, and incredibly fake emotions. Oh no, those boys killed me dog, and this guy told me a little lie, time to kill everyone and then get sympathy for it in the end (The Elfen Lied manga was so much better than the half-assed anime).

Also, horns shaped like cat-ears, laughable as hell. Pedophillia scene. Great. In fact, I swear you see every main female character in Elfen Lied naked for absolutely no reason (Random bath scenes).

Agree to disagree here, we share completely different opinions.

EDIT: Btw, nice use of the over 9000 meme. Shame it isn't funny in the slightest.
PsychodrakeSep 3, 2009 12:11 PM
Sep 3, 2009 1:57 PM
Apr 2009
I agree with seishi-sama. Higurashi isn't that great. I may have even rated it too high by giving it a 7. I can't say that I didn't enjoy some parts of it, but taken as a whole, it's just bad. Higurashi can't compete with Elfen Lied.

Psychodrake said:

Also, horns shaped like cat-ears, laughable as hell. Pedophillia scene. Great. In fact, I swear you see every main female character in Elfen Lied naked for absolutely no reason (Random bath scenes).

But I do agree with you here. That was what kept me from giving Elfen Lied a 10. =)
Sep 3, 2009 7:16 PM

Apr 2009
higurashi is a masterpiece,,for me its better than elfen lied..

only thing that is bad at higurashi is the art,,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2009 8:40 PM

Jan 2009
I know the OP doesn't care about this anymore, but with Higurashi being my favorite anime i feel i need to post here lol.

Higurashi doesn't have "great" characters, a great "story" or decent art. But it does have an amazing atmosphere with great pacing and is generally one of the better mind fucks. It isn't like NGE or lain with a lot of hidden messages in it. Rather it is just told in a unique way that makes you ask "WTF is going on" the whole time. While this anime isn't deserving off all the praise it gets or the 10 i gave it, it is a really enjoyable anime, and personally watching Higurashi was the most fun i ever had watching anime.

And no people need to stop saying that there is "gore" in this anime because there isn't. There are about a total of 5 different scenes with blood in it.
Sep 5, 2009 8:44 PM

Apr 2009
burntlettuce said:
I know the OP doesn't care about this anymore

Oh that's where you're wrong. Im still checking to see what people are saying, because Ive seen the first few eps so far, and while Im not completely drawn in yet, it still has time to do that. So, Im still listening to the opinions of everyone who posts here out of curiosity. So far it would seem that its pretty much cut 50/50 between people who love it and people who hate it. I guess it all just comes down to what you're looking for in an anime.

Sep 6, 2009 5:34 AM

Jul 2009
burntlettuce said:

And no people need to stop saying that there is "gore" in this anime because there isn't. There are about a total of 5 different scenes with blood in it.

This is actually very true. I went into Higurashi a little worried that it'd end up being a gorefest, when actually, there isn't much at all. Theres some horrible scenes but they amount to about 5 minutes of the entire series. Other than that theres some horrible "Thoughts", things that will make you cringe if you think about it.

I also agree with it being a better mindfuck. The only way to understand NGE is to read right into it, with Higurashi you can just watch the second season and understand EVERYTHING.
Sep 6, 2009 11:16 AM

Jul 2009
Osaka117 said:
burntlettuce said:
I know the OP doesn't care about this anymore

Oh that's where you're wrong. Im still checking to see what people are saying, because Ive seen the first few eps so far, and while Im not completely drawn in yet, it still has time to do that. So, Im still listening to the opinions of everyone who posts here out of curiosity. So far it would seem that its pretty much cut 50/50 between people who love it and people who hate it. I guess it all just comes down to what you're looking for in an anime.

If you're not drawn in from the 8 episodes that you've seen, the odds are that you probably won't really enjoy the rest then. I could be wrong though, but at this point in the anime I couldn't help but carry on watching purely for the mystery and mindfuckery, wanting to know what happened and why it happened etc.

seishi-sama said:

Hmm, plotholes? I thought we were talking about Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? The whole reason I recall getting carried away with watching this was due to the 'plotholes' near the start of the anime; why is everyone alive again? why did they even die? etc. In fact, I can barely think of anything that wasn't explained exept in Rei (but that's an OVA so that isn't really important here).
To comment on the voice acting is just stupid, especially if you're comparing it to Elfen Lied. Don't get me wrong, I love the anime, but every time Nana or Mayu opened their mouths it made me want to shoot someone. Nyuu, I managed to deal with somehow.
The character development comment. I saw a different side of each character in each arc which made it unique, same goes for the plot being in arc - unique. If anything, it being in arcs made it more enjoyable and easier to watch, each arc bringing in new questions, answers and points of view.
BacahillSep 10, 2009 2:32 AM
Jul 23, 2015 5:31 PM

Apr 2015
The story and set up is something I've never seen done before, the characters are well done, the pacing is perfect and the mystery is done masterfully, it's very enjoyable, it has a cool atmosphere, the music is beautiful and memorable... It's just a great show, just watch it for yourself. Don't ask too many questions beforehand or you're only going to run into spoilers.
Jul 23, 2015 5:36 PM

Dec 2012
chopped lolis

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Mar 31, 2016 2:31 PM
Jan 2016
i been going on an anime binge and watched through 4 anime series this week...

sadly, the 3rd one i watched was stains;gate... too good.

Idk if its just because of that but... this series sucked and was unbearable to watch.

You have to be a hardcore loli otaku to like this one.. sorry say.
May 3, 2016 9:46 AM

Sep 2010
I actually don't really know how to explain why I love this show so much. I've thought one of the biggest reasons is the athmosphere; It's so mysterious and thrilling. The way it's made is so flawless (IMO), there's almost NOTHING that bothers me about the plot or the characters or whatsoever. I love the soudtrack too. I've watched the series 3 times, and I could easily watch it a 4th time, too.
May 3, 2016 10:02 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
First of all : Higurashi is not about gore and gore is not the major part of it!

It is impossible to rate the first season before watching the second entirely. Thats because it is connected together as one show. Only after watching the second season you will understand the first season

The choice of the narrating protagonist in the first season was very well done. This way you only got his point of view. And that has many holes or better said you will be deceived. What really happens there can only be explained with the background of the information from the second season.

And even with all information there are more then only one possible way how the things could have happened.
May 3, 2016 10:04 AM

Sep 2009
Its a very unique take on mystery and horror and is very well executed (plot, writing, character development, all that good stuff).
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 8, 2016 6:27 PM

Jun 2016
what makes it great to me.. is the fact that it makes you question who to trust. and it kinda gets under your skin on some psychological level.. i know i was starting to look over my shoulder after so long watching it alone in the dark. its like saya no uta.. its just unsettling on a mental level
Jul 16, 2016 4:15 PM
Mar 2016
everything. lol

The original Visual Novel game was excellent (chapters 1 and 2 are currently on steam for dirt cheap, and i highly recommend them!) but then they brought other story writers in to assist with other Arcs. It slowly became a collective, and as a result each story runs alongside yet independent of each other. The diversity of the series keeps the momentum going regardless of which arc your watching. its pretty messed up too story wise, which helps to establish it in the horror suspense genre. IT was actually a stand out title for me as part of my development into an otaku. I own all 27 volumes of the manga, both re-released chapters of the game on steam, and When they cry and Kai on BR. its a REALLY good series, and i cant recommend it enough. The scary part is, as good as the when they cry anime was, the manga is even better. Oh and if you liked this one, check out Corpse Party. Its a short 4 episode OVA series based on the game of the same name, but its one of the goriest pieces of Anime ive ever had the joy of watching.

and in the meantime you could also check this out: https://youtu.be/rvtlbvaPkas

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.