Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2009 11:16 PM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was an interesting start to the show. Mirai seemed like a pretty bratty kid though but assuming how good character development usually goes, she changes for the better. Will be interesting to see how the second episode plays out.
Jul 9, 2009 11:32 PM

Sep 2008
The first episode lived up to my expectations at least.
It'll be interesting how fast they will catch up to the first scene, with her alone in the mass of people.
I think I can understand why she's so "bratty" though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2009 1:10 AM

May 2007
just how I expected in the end the drama starts looked good didnt like that girl though the boy was pretty fun though hope he makes it haha anyway it looked good got my interest I will continue this show for sure
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Jul 10, 2009 1:20 AM

Sep 2007
vinnie-kun said:
just how I expected in the end the drama starts looked good didnt like that girl though the boy was pretty fun though hope he makes it haha anyway it looked good got my interest I will continue this show for sure

Punctuation.
Jul 10, 2009 1:21 AM

Sep 2007
neutralizer said:
vinnie-kun said:

Punctuation.

Use it.

Jul 10, 2009 1:24 AM

Jan 2009
I enjoyed this episode. Some of the opening sequence pictures kinda reminded me of I am Legend. Looking forward to the next episode, I hope her little brother is ok.

Jul 10, 2009 1:45 AM

Jan 2008
I'm hooked. I like seemingly realistic character interactions.
Jul 10, 2009 1:56 AM

Jan 2009
aero said:

Main girl seems kinda like a bitch though :\

Jul 10, 2009 2:04 AM

Jan 2008
Gunther15 said:
aero said:

Main girl seems kinda like a bitch though :
Acting like her age, a typical teenager.
Jul 10, 2009 2:05 AM

Jan 2009
Music Staff: Koh Ohtani. When i saw that, I was like...

Even if this series goes shitty along the way, I must listen the soundtracks.

*Rushes and download the mother fucking episode*

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 10, 2009 2:08 AM

Apr 2009
lol the main girl is a little on the side of annoyance, never full blown but the interactions between the family feel real. Im definitely hooked like i thought i would be. The OP is ok and i like the ED. The very end where the anchorwoman announce Tokyo had been destroyed gave me the chills a little
DreddJul 10, 2009 2:14 AM
Jul 10, 2009 2:22 AM

Aug 2008
Tsukiyo- said:
neutralizer said:
vinnie-kun said:

Punctuation.

Use it.

Or else.

Great first episode, looks promising and extremely interesting. ED was catchy. I hope the main character becomes less of a bitch. She is trying to act all cool now that she is in Middle School. Stupid bitch.

Also, does anyone know what game the kid was playing? Was it by any chance that Fire Fighting game released on PS2? Doesn't give much of a description, but I think it was my Namco or Konami.

Jul 10, 2009 2:34 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was refreshingly different and realistic. Love it how people complain about unrealistic characters and then complain even more when they're given some. Gotta love the anime community.

Anyway, this should be really interesting. Looking forward to the next episode.

Funny how they named her Mirai. As if she could influence what happens, with her little blog. :D
cyruzJul 10, 2009 2:44 AM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 10, 2009 2:48 AM

Apr 2009
cyruz said:
That was refreshingly different and realistic. Love it how people complain about unrealistic characters and then complain even more when they're given some. Gotta love the anime community.

Anyway, this should be really interesting. Looking forward to the next episode.

Funny how they named her Mirai. As if she could influence what happens, with her little blog. :D

lol this is true
Jul 10, 2009 3:01 AM

Apr 2008
Wow, just wow.
Something.
Jul 10, 2009 3:19 AM

Mar 2008
cyruz said:

Agreed. I think that family, including the girl and her brother were amazingly realistic.

I actually started to watch this with the intention of dropping it because that's not my thing (catastrophy genre) and I already have too many shows I want to watch, but those character interactions were really good. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Backgrounds were really good especially those drawings in the OP.

Not sure if I will follow until the end, though. Next episode might make it more clear.
Jul 10, 2009 3:27 AM

May 2008
Wow pretty realistic, I am going to enjoy this ride
Jul 10, 2009 3:46 AM

Jan 2009
well.. a pretty slow first ep, although it's pretty realistic at the beginning..
oh well, guess I'll be watching this, but it won't be at highest priority for this season.
hope it gets better : ) (at least the earthquake itself looked cool : D)
I'm quite certain that someone will die.
Edit: edited due to spoiler reasons... I was right, all the way through >: 3
OosranSep 28, 2009 10:11 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 10, 2009 3:47 AM

Dec 2007
This looks pretty promising. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 10, 2009 3:54 AM

Apr 2007
As I hoped. I'll certainly stick with this one.

Forever said:
cyruz said:

Qft.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2009 4:11 AM

May 2008
I was anticipating this for quite some time, but it exceeded my expactations! Great characters, great animation and the beginning of a great story! Can't wait for more!
Jul 10, 2009 4:12 AM

Jun 2008
So far, it's interesting . Also that girl is kinda annoying.
Jul 10, 2009 4:30 AM

Apr 2009
Not my favorite character art style, but lets see where this goes.
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Jul 10, 2009 4:42 AM

Aug 2007
The only one promising show this summer. I'm looking forward to next ep.
Jul 10, 2009 4:53 AM

Jul 2008
I can't wait for the next episode. Although the earthquake barely started I loved the episode, since it pictured the main characters so realistically.

Though we may expect that the girl will become less of a bitch throughout the next 10 eps and her brother is most likely to grow up due to all the difficulties they will have to face, I am really eager to see what's going to happen next.
Jul 10, 2009 4:59 AM
Mar 2009
Good episode, like many others have said this show is looking really realistic with character interactions and whatnot. The drama shall unfold next episode and we will definitely get to see how this little girl and boy handle themselves in this catastrophe.

Also, is it me or did some of those women in there seemed like real bitches?
Jul 10, 2009 6:06 AM

Dec 2007
Silvera said:
The only one promising show this summer.

I lol'd.

Anyway good episode and a nice introduction to the characters. The beginning of the earthquake was really well done, and intense, can't wait to se how it'll play out next week.

Really like the OP and ED aswell. :3
Jul 10, 2009 6:07 AM

Apr 2009
hey, I liked this :) The interactions between the family members felt realistic enough. I can imagine the upcoming episodes will be quite interesting too.. I hope the younger brother makes it out fine.
Jul 10, 2009 6:15 AM

Apr 2007
aero said:
Gunther15 said:
aero said:

No. That type of tense atmosphere between parents is very difficult to live through and makes you miserable and angry with everything around you.

Scenes from the OP remind me of Fallout 3 X_X
Jul 10, 2009 6:25 AM

May 2009
Opening was nice. I love Abingdon Boys School! <3
As for the episode itself, I liked it. The animation was nice - though I don't like this kind of character animation/style/whatever.
The characters seem realistic. The main girl is a bit annoying, typical teenager - She'll probably develop and change through-out the anime though.

I'll definitely follow this anime.
Jul 10, 2009 7:19 AM

Jun 2007
Interesting anime, I love the OP and ED. ^^
Jul 10, 2009 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
It looks promising. :)

cyruz said:
Jul 10, 2009 7:56 AM

Nov 2007
This one definitely stood out for me because it's realistic. I'm glad I picked this one up. One thing I expect from this is some nice character development.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Jul 10, 2009 7:56 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Silvera said:
The only one promising show this summer. I'm looking forward to next ep.

Try Bakemonogatari...

By the way, living through a disaster such as an 8.0 earthquake, will change ANYONE forever....

After all this, I wouldn't be surprised if she will go in a profession that can save and help people in 10 years....
wakka9caJul 10, 2009 8:07 AM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 10, 2009 8:06 AM
May 2008
Judging from the first episode this series seems to be very promising. The realism was nice and the simplicity of the show (at least in this episode) really drew me in... so I have high hopes for this series. I have to agree with everyone on Mirai being really bitchy but I feel that will change over the course of the series.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 10, 2009 8:16 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
tmth said:
aero said:
Gunther15 said:
aero said:

No. That type of tense atmosphere between parents is very difficult to live through and makes you miserable and angry with everything around you.

Exactly, her reaction is rather normal. I would say the father is at fault....

Notice at all the foreshadowing:

1 - Yuuki is playing a firefighter game on the TV.
2 - in the robot exposiition, a new type of rescue robots deployed in disasters is shown.
wakka9caJul 10, 2009 8:23 AM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 10, 2009 8:22 AM

Oct 2008
the plot was good and should be more clear for the next episode.

the char interactions was great and also the graphics.

I'll also stick to this one. ^^

Jul 10, 2009 8:44 AM

Dec 2008
tmth said:
aero said:
Gunther15 said:
aero said:

No. She's not only like this because of her parents but because she's also in puberty; notice how the little brother doesn't notice? Girl is aware of such situations so it's just aggravating for her. aero wasn't wrong when he said it's a typical teenager attitude either, since it can happen not just because of parents' relation, hence most people around that age live through that kind of period, even if it can be short for some/longer for others.

Anyway, it's an okay start to the anime; I hope the next episodes will be more interesting though. Koh Ohtani's music when the earthquake started was a fitting beauty, and that's exactly what I've been hoping for. Damn sweet.
HakoriaJul 10, 2009 8:54 AM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jul 10, 2009 9:17 AM

Aug 2008
I miss Tom Cruise and the Tripods
Jul 10, 2009 9:30 AM

Jan 2008
Very nice intro episode that place the main characters. Can't wait to watch more!
Jul 10, 2009 9:34 AM

Aug 2008
the only anime of this season that really got me hooked,nice BONES!
Jul 10, 2009 9:34 AM

Dec 2008
So I picked the series up just out of curiosity, but I never expected myself to be so hooked! :D

As a lot of people have mentioned, I'm loving the realistic characters. I was very annoyed with Mirai (anyone noticed the irony of her name? "Mirai" means "future" which is a theme I think is already evident in the series with Mirai's summer assignment and the earthquake). Despite my annoyance with Mirai's personality, I actually really liked it because it was so realistic! I mean I'm sure most people around that age acts like that, I know I was like that and dare I say that I can still be bratty like that when I'm in a bad mood.

And then Yuuki~ oh man what an adorable kid!

The motorcycle lady/hair tie lady - as soon as the kids met her in front of the vending machines, I just knew she'll be an important character in the series and my hunches were confrimed from the ending :P

Love both the opening and ending :3

I'm pleased to know that I've finally found a decent summer anime to watch:

Charliehsv said:
Silvera said:

I lol'd.
I don't get how that's funny, I completely agree with Charliehsv, so far I haven't seen any unique summer animes :P Except maybe "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" which I haven't watched yet..
Jul 10, 2009 10:08 AM

Mar 2009
It was a nice introduction. Characters are realistic, however, they appear t be two-dimensional, Mirai is always pissed off, she enjoys nothing, Yuuki is always cute, he enjoys life, etc. But i guess that's because they wanted to leave a strong feeling on the viewer as to what was going on before the earthquake.

I really liked the overall animation, but character design is too simple IMHO. the op was awesome. I really liked the "photos" of the destroyed city. That was kinda cool.

The motorcycle lady is obviously gonna have a big role.

Overall, a very good start, and I am gonna watch it regularly.

BTW since I'm from Canada, it was funny how yet again somebody builds a log house in Canada. lol
Jul 10, 2009 10:13 AM

Dec 2008
TokyoNeonLight said:
BTW since I'm from Canada, it was funny how yet again somebody builds a log house in Canada. lol
Ditto that! I was like, the hell? LOG houses?! Since when do we have those o__o;;;..

..Unless it's like in some unknown location far up where there's less people XD
Jul 10, 2009 10:22 AM

Nov 2007
Wow... oh, wow is this going to be an interesting ride.

Mirai was definitely annoying, but most middle-school girls ARE annoying and angsty. :P
Jul 10, 2009 10:45 AM

Jan 2009
robbydesu said:
TokyoNeonLight said:
Ditto that! I was like, the hell? LOG houses?! Since when do we have those o__o;;;..

don't they have log houses in Canada!? : O NO WAY \o/ I thought Canada was made out of logs >.<
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 10, 2009 10:54 AM

Mar 2008
Most of this episode was just boring as I don't like this kind of family drama and the protagonist is really annoying & loli.

"Time is liquid. One moment is no more important than any other and all moments quickly run away."
Jul 10, 2009 11:30 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Oosran said:
robbydesu said:
TokyoNeonLight said:

don't they have log houses in Canada!? : O NO WAY o/ I thought Canada was made out of logs >.<

maybe in the Yukon Territory, but not anymore nowadays. Even Nunavut is modernized.

robbydesu said:

Charliehsv said:
Silvera said:

I lol'd.
I don't get how that's funny, I completely agree with Charliehsv, so far I haven't seen any unique summer animes :P Except maybe "Umineko no Naku Koro ni" which I haven't watched yet..

Try Bakemonogatari too.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Jul 10, 2009 11:33 AM

Apr 2007
Ekowc said:
....the protagonist is really annoying & loli.

Fail for calling the main character "loli" just cause shes a younger teen.

Woohoo, Im excited! I've been looking forward to this show and after seeing the first episode its definitely worth watching. I won't say too much else since I'd just be repeating what everyone else said about the characters and interactions, but I will definitely be watching this all the way through. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 10, 2009 11:33 AM

Aug 2007
robbydesu said:

Charliehsv said:
Silvera said:

I lol'd.

You agree with Charliehsv or with me? ;P I don't know what's so funny either.
I watch Umineko, but pervy main character and a fanservice for big-boobs-fanboys turn me off. I'm anti-fan of ecchi and stuff, so I'm glad that there's decent anime for summer. Why only one?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.