Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 24, 2007 11:20 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 1 Released within a few hours of the raw going online by a new group Seiyan Fansubs. Considering the time it took them to sub it you must assume there will be some errors in either timing and/or translation but after waiting so many years I think ill grin and bear it.

Dec 24, 2007 3:23 PM

Oct 2007
Wow that was good, really good. I was completely drawn in from start until finish, loving the characters, and the return of wonderful Yoko Kanno, and her epic score. Alto looks to be your classic male lead, i like him a lot already --- i can't help but wonder if is female features are going to play a role in coming episode. It's also nice to see that Yuichi Nakamura having more main lead roles, he's absolutely wonderful as Graham from Mobile Suit Gundam 00, then you have Tomoya from CLANNAD.

As for Sheryl, wow i love her design. It may be because it has a very Dianna/Kihel (from Turn A Gundam) feel to it, though just seeing some of those shots from her on stage performance --- beautiful. <3

Wonderful, what a cliffhanger --- i wouldn't mind if we had the second episode next week, though waiting for a few months is to much. It's nice to be able to preview it now though, i can see i'll love this one.
Dec 25, 2007 8:35 AM

Oct 2007
I thought that was a great first episode, loved how it ended with that tribute shot to the original Macross.

Animation quality was very high, Ranka's hair and her stumbling towards Alto was very fluid as well as Sheryl's concert. The CG by Satelight just embarrasses anything Gonzo has done in a tv series format (lol @ dragonaut), the movement of the Valkyrie and it's opponent where done nicely.

Can't say much about the characters and plot first since this is only the first episode of at least 26. The first episode does move at a fast pace though and I liked the syncing of the concert with the first battle scenes.

The VAs was pretty good. I've only seen Aya Endo in Lucky Star and she didn't really impress me at all in it but she has been good as Sheryl Nome so far and has a nice singing voice. Yuuichi Nakamura is alright so far as our main character Alto, seems like he will be the next big male VA star after this, Tomoya Okazakiin Clannad & Graham Acre in Gundam 00.

Megumi Nakajima the first timer did fairly well so far as Ranka and her brother Ozma Lee the leader of skull squadron is voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi who's the same VA as Gurren Lagann's Kamina, just epic win.

The 2 pop songs played so far seem to be channeling Macross Plus very well and I'm already more impressed by the score from this 1 episode alone than the 14 episodes I saw of Darker Than Black. Also a contemporary version of the original movie theme for the ED is an awesome touch if it remains for it's proper broadcast.

Now to wait until April for episode 2 :(
Dec 25, 2007 10:50 AM

Aug 2007

DO WANT
Dec 25, 2007 10:55 AM

Sep 2007
Shinsen has released their first sub of Macross F. I really did wish they use H264 mkv instead of lowered quality avi formats though.
Dec 25, 2007 12:29 PM

Dec 2007
Wasabi said:
Shinsen has released their first sub of Macross F. I really did wish they use H264 mkv instead of lowered quality avi formats though.
No doubt they will, in a couple of days.
Dec 25, 2007 8:28 PM

May 2007
Wasabi said:

that's what I just grabbed and finished watching. I was going to grab the speed sub but someone pointed out a few simple errors in the sub that I just didn't want to spoil the surprise with bad subs.

WOW. Man, it's so great to have Macross back and looking as good as ever. The songs were great, the concert was sweet, it was just perfect Macross. The directors must have sat down and made a checklist-what do we need for an epik 1st episode?

well...

1) New vehicles (with great designs that stay true to series)-check
2) Superb animation-check
3) Space battle-check
3.5) Crazy awesome macross missile massacrer/itano circus that only macross does so well-double check
4) None lame hero (looking at you Macross 7)-check
5) Songs/Concert-check
5.5) Concert cued to space battle-double check

The wait for these is going to be so so SO much harder then the wait for silly Hellsing: Ultimate.
Dec 25, 2007 8:57 PM

Oct 2007
Normally I don't watch speed subs unless I'm desperate but I was going to download the raw anyway so I grabbed it. They messed up the back story which any Macross fan would realize anyway and the messed a few things up but heck it beats watching it raw.

Was this even aired in HD format since the special was on after midnight? Might not see a proper 720p HD version until April... if that's the case I expect a lot of upscaled SD encodes...
Dec 25, 2007 9:19 PM

Oct 2007
This one's great!
Really lovely songs, great animation and promising characters.
Can't wait for more~!

Dec 25, 2007 10:06 PM

May 2007
Westlo said:
Normally I don't watch speed subs unless I'm desperate but I was going to download the raw anyway so I grabbed it. They messed up the back story which any Macross fan would realize anyway and the messed a few things up but heck it beats watching it raw.

Was this even aired in HD format since the special was on after midnight? Might not see a proper 720p HD version until April... if that's the case I expect a lot of upscaled SD encodes...

I normally never watch raws but stumbled upon a raw release streaming from a site and before I knew it I was 5 minutes in and hooked though I knew nothing of what was being sad!
Dec 26, 2007 12:15 AM

Apr 2007
bobide said:

WOW. Man, it's so great to have Macross back and looking as good as ever. The songs were great, the concert was sweet, it was just perfect Macross. The directors must have sat down and made a checklist-what do we need for an epik 1st episode?

They are setting up some very close parallels to the earlier Macross shows. I could not believe that they remade "Do You Remember Love" as the ED. They've apparently split the Minmei character in half -- with Sheryl Nome being the self-centered idol and Ranka Lee as the bright-eyed youth (voiced by the out-of-nowhere seiyuu, Megumi Nakajima, the new Mari Iijima). I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops, although I'm predicting right now that one of the most-debated anime battles of 2008 will be between those two over Alto. Sides will be taken -- it won't be pretty.
Dec 26, 2007 12:35 AM

Sep 2007
Westlo said:

Afaik, it's from a webcast source and a poor one at that so don't expect anything too fancy even if we or some other group releases a H.264 version later. Definitely not worth doing an upscale unless a better raw comes around.

Nice first ep by the way, I liked it a lot even if I haven't seen any Macross shows before this.
Dec 26, 2007 1:55 AM

Sep 2007
I just checked TT and I did see some 720p H264 raws floating about. The actual quality though, I haven't checked.
Dec 26, 2007 3:05 AM

Dec 2007
WOW! Seriously, wow. The first episode could have easily been a movie. The designs of the ships, and city, all of it are really well designed out, and done amazingly well, as are the effects and explosions. It seems like they've really pulled out all of the stops. Did they get a bigger budget, or are we simply seeing a rare gem of anime that is simply high quality!? Even the cross over between 3D and animation which is normally botched horribly is done the best i've seen in an anime series so far with the exception of probably Gundam 00. A couple of the actual human animations are a little choppy but nothing that bad. I love the whole concept of the story, even though i don't know anything about the previous series. This is going to be one of my favorite series i can just tell already. My only question is will they be able to keep up the quality and consistency for a series.

*Note the Shinsen version quality seemed to be just fine on my HDTV, better than most.
Dec 26, 2007 4:57 AM

Sep 2007
Wasabi said:
I just checked TT and I did see some 720p H264 raws floating about. The actual quality though, I haven't checked.

It doesn't air in HD, at least the first episode didn't. Sure, you can do an upscaled encode but why bother?
Dec 26, 2007 6:40 AM

Apr 2007
Wasabi said:

Here's a couple of images of the 720p version aired on TBS digital for reference. Make your own judgment on quality:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Dec 26, 2007 2:07 PM

Dec 2007
The animation quality was high but nevertheless everything looked quite generic. They could've hired a better character designer (Satelight already had some good designs in Noein for example).
The characters aren't that likable either. Actually I just liked the goofy green haired girl but the others were strange... young men calling themselves "princess"? What's that supposed to be? xD
Dec 26, 2007 3:46 PM

Sep 2007
I think they called Alto a "princess' because he has some kind of feminine charm. Even Lanka said he looked like a girl when they met.
Dec 26, 2007 4:33 PM
Jul 2007
I loved this episode! Can't wait for more!
Dec 26, 2007 4:38 PM

Nov 2007
The quality was superb, especially for the fight scenes, but, other than that, I wasn't that impressed. I didn't like any of the characters, and honestly the story doesn't have me hooked yet. Of course, this may be because I haven't watched the earlier Macross series, so I'll give Macross a few more episodes at the very least. xD

I was kinda annoyed with the bishies, though. Bishies + Bishies who wear short shorts + Bishies who call each other "princess" and "beautiful" + blushing Bishies = so much potential for yaoi, which I just do not want. >.<
Dec 26, 2007 6:49 PM

May 2007
Iri said:
bobide said:

They are setting up some very close parallels to the earlier Macross shows. I could not believe that they remade "Do You Remember Love" as the ED. They've apparently split the Minmei character in half -- with Sheryl Nome being the self-centered idol and Ranka Lee as the bright-eyed youth (voiced by the out-of-nowhere seiyuu, Megumi Nakajima, the new Mari Iijima). I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops, although I'm predicting right now that one of the most-debated anime battles of 2008 will be between those two over Alto. Sides will be taken -- it won't be pretty.

Very true. I think the fan fallout with Macross 7 had them realize that they needed to move back closer to the original formula.

For those of you who haven't seen the original series, you're missing out. I guess if you wanted a quick and dirty crash course in Macross universe go watch the Do You Remember Love OVA. Some points of the story are altered but the general plotline is communicated.

And did you guys seriously miss that calling him princess was them teasing him?
Dec 26, 2007 10:32 PM
Nov 2007
It was pretty good. An enjoyable first episode. Can't wait for more.
Dec 26, 2007 11:31 PM

Oct 2007
bobide said:

I was reading their posts and just put my hand on my head and sighed.
Dec 27, 2007 12:55 AM

Dec 2007
Westlo said:
bobide said:

I was reading their posts and just put my hand on my head and sighed.

Don't work yourself up into this too much.

I surely did realize that they were teasing him but like Ataraxia said it's somewhat gay and has a lot of potential for yaoi. I liked the bishie in Aquarion better because he was amusing.
Anyway I'll wait and see if the characters develop into interesting personalities or if we'll get a second Gundam 00.
Dec 27, 2007 2:50 PM

Mar 2007
Wow, episode 1 was awesome :) It all felt so very... Macross to me :) I like Alto (I love surly characters) and both girls are interesting too. I love all the visual references to the previous series (in particular, I laughed at the whole hand-as-plane movement from Macross Plus ^_^) and I thought using Do You Remember Love as the ending theme was a nice touch!

Even though they are following the mecha genre forumla that states " Even if the hero is not already a mecha pilot, he will still somehow end up in the driver's seat of a mech by the end of the first episode" it still works very well.

Of course, I loved Macross 7 too, even though Basara was a dumbass ^_^ (I liked Gamlin...)

I am happy to have more Yoko Kanno Macross music! Macross Plus OST1 was the first anime OST I bought back in 1995, so I feel very nostalgic about her work on Macross :D

I look forward to seeing more of this series!
MagicalEmiDec 27, 2007 11:23 PM
Dec 27, 2007 5:44 PM

Aug 2007
Wait, wait. This came out of nowhere. Is not having seen early Macross going to harm my understanding of this?
Dec 27, 2007 10:58 PM

Aug 2007
WOW!
All I can say is that I was completely blown away.
The animation sequences were so smooth and fluid.
I'm really looking forward to watching this series!

Please check out my artwork! http://icespectra.deviantart.com/
Dec 28, 2007 1:38 AM

Dec 2007
YourMessageHere said:
Wait, wait. This came out of nowhere. Is not having seen early Macross going to harm my understanding of this?

The franchise is similar to Gundam and unites several works that deal with the topic "Macross" but have different stories and characters. So you can watch it without prior Macross knowledge.
Dec 28, 2007 1:48 PM

Oct 2007

I would think having seen the previous series you would enjoy this more since you can spot the homages throughout it. It's not something you have to see to enjoy it but it's a nice touch. Anyway you have 3-4 months until the next episode so why not spend that time watching Macross :)

If you don't have much time Plus is only 4 episodes long and should provide some background to it.

harakiri said:
Don't work yourself up into this too much.

Don't worry princess, I'm not getting worked up over it.
Dec 28, 2007 8:03 PM

Nov 2006
The animation was awesome

Dec 28, 2007 8:57 PM
Jun 2007
The first single episode of Macross Frontier just beaten the crap out of a all Gundam 00 episodes.

Sorry Gundam 00 makers, you released it on the wrong time. You just can't beat this one.. XD
Dec 29, 2007 2:33 AM
Nov 2007
Holy crap...I remember why I love the Macross franchise.
Rainulf said:
The first single episode of Macross Frontier just beaten the crap out of a all Gundam 00 episodes.

Sorry Gundam 00 makers, you released it on the wrong time. You just can't beat this one.. XD
Luckily for them, this series isn't coming out until April, the month after the first season of Gundam 00 ends.
Dec 29, 2007 11:19 AM

Aug 2007
I've seen Macross Plus (in fact it was probably the first anime I ever saw, I'm really fond of it) and Macross Zero but never found the right combination of time, inclination, seeded torrents and disc space to tackle the huge original series or any of the other bits.
Dec 29, 2007 12:41 PM

Oct 2007
Rainulf said:

Yeah I can't work up the motivation to watch Gundam 00 Episode 6 (which I've heard is probably the slowest in the series) after seeing Macross Frontier.
Dec 31, 2007 9:38 PM

Nov 2007
A W E S O M E

shocked me to the bone, I thought it just kind of old one, but this one completely different (in drawing), wondering how they made that detailed mecha fighting.
Jan 3, 2008 6:10 AM

Dec 2007
I sisnt even know there was a new macross saga airing :O I love nearly everything Macross so after discovering this i'm bouncing off the walls xP.

Where abouts is it on the macross timeline?
Jan 3, 2008 1:27 PM

Jan 2008
It seemed alot like it was setting up the plot to a movie rather than a 26 episode show. I hope the don't overly intensify the beginning just to have it fizzle out near the middle. Other than that worry, the series looks like it will be "the" anime to kick off the new year. Plus, Yoko Kanno is amazing as always.
Jan 4, 2008 8:38 AM
Nov 2007
I missed the transforming valkyries of ownageness so badly and here comes Macross Frontier. Woot. The graphics and Itano circus are used very well for the fights. Hope they keep doing that for the rest of the season. Episode 1 was nicely paced I think. Hooked me on immediately.
Jan 4, 2008 8:07 PM

May 2007
Yopee said:
I missed the transforming valkyries of ownageness so badly and here comes Macross Frontier. Woot. The graphics and Itano circus are used very well for the fights. Hope they keep doing that for the rest of the season. Episode 1 was nicely paced I think. Hooked me on immediately.

no body does itano circus better then macross!
Jan 9, 2008 12:59 AM

Dec 2007
Pretty well done, i love it, i really don't know what i need to do before the ep2, i hope this one to be best series this year.
Also i love the return of Yoko Kanno to Macross.
Jan 10, 2008 8:52 PM

Oct 2007
wow... so warm and fuzzy but yet so new. i think this may be the series to bring the kids into the macross franchise
Jan 12, 2008 11:51 AM

Jan 2008
And episode 2 will air on...?
Short sword isn't for shy people.
Short sword is for people who dont mind being coverd with blood.
Jan 12, 2008 12:16 PM

Jan 2008
Sverting said:
And episode 2 will air on...?

First episode was a preview, it will be a Spring anime so look for it then. It sucks but its true.
Apr 1, 2008 9:20 PM

Jan 2008
Yeah this show is amazing. I haven't felt like rewatching the same episode right afterwards in any series for a long time. From the art to the music and action everything just felt right. I can't wait to see another episode and I hope it has at the least a twelve episode run.

I haven't had much if any Macross experience but I'll be watch this one every week.
Apr 1, 2008 9:23 PM

Nov 2007
Hopefully this will re-air in HD, so we can get the whole series in 720. >.> I rewatched the first episode several times just looking at all the eyecandy. Gorgeous. <3
Apr 3, 2008 10:30 AM

Oct 2007
There was quite a few changes between this version (Deculture Edition) and the actual episode 1 that just aired an hour ago. Scenes removed, new scenes, concert changed, op was shown, new ed, animation reworked and improved, music, eyecatch (which is awesome) etc.

So um what happens with this? Do we rename this Deculture Edition Discussion and make a new episode 1 thread?
Apr 3, 2008 10:57 AM

Mar 2007
I guess we can consider the previously aired one a 'special' and the new episode as the official episode 1 for the tv series...

Apr 3, 2008 5:52 PM

Nov 2007
Awesome start, I never watched any of the previous Macross series, but this show looks promising. Hope its as good as Gundam 00 was.
\
Apr 4, 2008 6:33 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
OMG This is the most promising show of this season along with Code Geass R2.

Let's hope it lives up to my expectations....

The musical score is awesome, just like Macross 7 with Fire Bomber. I hope we get new songs every episodes!!!! Macross 7 focused A LOT on MUSIC although this is considered as a SF series...Very good blend. Yoko Kanno's return in 2008!!! (the last thing she did was Aquarion OVA last year) = my favourite composer = EPIC
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 6, 2008 5:29 PM
Feb 2008
Incredible. This is my most hyped choice of the year. The animation, the music..., hot damn I need the non-promo first episode now! New Macross = Happy Days.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - May 15, 2008

72 by Antanaru »»
Dec 31, 2022 11:36 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 21, 2008

123 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Nov 19, 2022 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.