Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 30, 2012 9:05 AM

Jan 2012
Very different from the Brotherhood anime, which I've watched some of, but it's going very good so far. Can't wait to watch more. :D
Apr 7, 2012 10:36 PM

Jun 2011
SpudUK said:
Sir_Lexa said:
SpudUK said:
Pretty good, although the sub voice for Edward is pretty unbearable.

Excuse me what???

The VA just didn't do the voice to suit the look of the character. I got used to it in the end, but I stand by my comment that Edward's voice could have been better.

I found it unbearable as well. But thats most likely just because i watched the dub countless times.
Sep 3, 2012 2:40 PM

May 2012
Great start of this Anime, was a time ago that I watched an Anime that was able to keep my attention for the whole episode! So yea great start interesting story and I wonder how it will progress!
Sep 17, 2012 7:51 PM

Jul 2009
awesome anime :D

watch this since i heard good things in the series, plus Brotherhood looks godly!!!!!

Romi Paku as Edward is soo awesome!!!

Rie Kugimiya as Alphonse sounds way different from her known tsundere roles.

then again this shows was aired in 2003, so im guessing she was rising at the the time :)

love how this is full of science and the law of nature!

i expect great things from this show :)
Oct 14, 2012 11:39 PM

May 2012
nice start (:
had some good action in it as well :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2012 12:33 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
this was pretty cool! Edward the Full"Metal" alchemist for real LOL!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Feb 10, 2013 3:42 AM
May 2011
i rly hope it gets better, cause i pretty much disliked the 1st ep :|
Mar 14, 2013 9:03 AM

May 2012
ahmadkat said:
for me first ep was ok..
i think soul eater, fairy tail, and death note are much better.. but its only one ep i saw, so hopefully it gets better from here..
lol
Aug 16, 2013 1:15 AM

May 2013
I started this years and years ago, but never got around past many episodes so imma start over, lol. I feel like I'm behind everyone since this series was out way back ;A;

But oh whales~ C:
I love FMA <3

Roze is still super annoying at the beginning xD
Sep 1, 2013 3:09 PM

Jul 2011
Totally not how I expect it!
It's pretty awesome <3

SteampunkDalek said:
ahmadkat said:
for me first ep was ok..
i think soul eater, fairy tail, and death note are much better.. but its only one ep i saw, so hopefully it gets better from here..
lol

Exactly xD lol
Dec 25, 2013 3:01 PM

Jun 2012
for a first episode this show made a awesome start i did not know much about the anime what it would be and heard allot about it to but as it seems now i am almost sure i will love it.

i have heard allot about the anime and many people said to skip this cause brotherhood would be the same story and was better cause it would be closer to the manga i don't know if its true never seen any of the shows but i just felt it was better to start here cause probably the aspect are different and heard the ending was different and the airing dates are most of time safest to follow.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Feb 2, 2014 11:07 AM

Sep 2013
I really liked brotherhood! so I might as well watch this one too!

Mar 24, 2014 2:20 PM

Jul 2013
Another one I watched half of years ago online and never finished that I have decided to go back to and try to finish! Very good start indeed!
May 7, 2014 5:09 AM

Oct 2013
v different to brotherhood
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Aug 24, 2014 6:04 PM

Dec 2012
Nice starting, him losing his leg really startled me. How can Al be so cute even though he's pure metal? Roze open thine eyes.
Sep 18, 2014 11:50 PM

Jan 2014
And here we go!! Another go at the best anime!
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 25, 2014 4:31 AM
May 2012
Ahhh, Fullmetal Alchemist~ I have known this Anime and Brotherhood since forever, too. Both of them aired time to time on our local TV stations. I watched some episodes of them, but that's about it. Now, finally, I am going to watch this properly. After this is Brotherhood, of course :3
Anyway, good start. I like the song, too. Merry Christmas to everyone ^^
Jan 16, 2015 4:53 AM

Apr 2013
Good first episode, looks promising so far.
Jan 25, 2015 5:20 AM

Jan 2014
So amazing. Not as dark as in the manga, but I still got goosebumps at the last scene. Wow. <3
Jan 30, 2015 12:23 PM

Dec 2012
I liked this episode, but I would say it would be better if we were introduced to the story a bit more. On the other hand, it might come later as some flashback so if this happens I don´t care.
Apr 8, 2015 7:30 AM

Dec 2012
Had to dust off my old DVDs and watch this again, it's been at least 5 years now. I usually watch in Japanese, but I can't watch this without Vic's voice. I'm already noticing reasons why I prefer this to Brotherhood. Looking forward to rewatching this from a whole new perspective.
Apr 22, 2015 10:42 AM

Apr 2015
Wow. So that was a great first episode :)
It really drew me in and I love the science behind it all
I will definitely be continuing this :D
May 6, 2015 10:05 PM

Nov 2014
At around 2 minutes in, when Ed lost his arm and leg, it showed him to have lost his left arm, then he looked at the grotesque figure in the circle, and when it switched to him again, he had his left arm back. It was his right arm that he lost, but that scene showed his left arm gone at first.

But anyways

I can't wait to watch more of this! I know I'm gonna love it. I've never actually watched the whole series from start to finish, but now I am. I like how Ed thinks, and I like all the science behind what they do. It's interesting and really neat ^_^
May 13, 2015 7:03 PM

Apr 2012
So do they have some sort of spiritual faith or not? They draw magic circles.

If this is set in 1914 wouldn't World War I be starting around now? Is that what the reference to the military is about? Will watch some more but will be a bit puzzled if not.
Jul 25, 2015 2:52 PM

Jul 2015
I've heard a lot about this series, and the first episode did not disappoint. So, Al lost his whole body and Edward lost an arm and a leg in order to account for the mass used to resurrect their mother? And what about the "mother" that appeared? That was weird!

I'd love to know more about what happened to their mom (both the real one and the thing they ressurected/transmuted) and how Edward came to possess a suit of armor. In the meantime, I'm eager to continue on with the current story arc! -- 4/5
Aug 19, 2015 6:45 PM
Aug 2013
Hmm.

I'd give this a 3/5.

So far nothing huge stands out.

I wonder exactly why you cannot bring a person back to life, it seems you can bring other animals back though, or are they under control of the alchemist somehow?

Even if you did bring someone back with alchemy, wouldn't their memories be completely gone?
Oct 7, 2015 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
Start anything but quiet, narratively strike me years later again the OST, the action and the good work chart, drawings and animations are dicrete, even the sets are beautiful albeit dated. Instead, what I did not like the narrative passages, it is the extreme speed and strong comedy shown immediately after the disastrous events at the beginning of episode; too strident. Maybe a little faster the pace of events, but nothing is left to chance. Adequate characterization of the protagonists, but not as impressive originality.
Nov 3, 2015 11:43 AM

Sep 2015
Good first episode I liked it I've seen bits and pieces here and there on Cartoon Network in the past, excited to watch it all the way through
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Nov 18, 2015 8:04 AM
Nov 2014
Great first episode, have a feeling I'm going to like this series.
Jan 16, 2016 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
I find it interesting that Eric claims to be a man of science and that he doesn't believe in God, yet at the same time he views modifying the human body as a sin. I don't think he's as sure about his beliefs as he claims.

It's not surprising that men would try to spread false religions if a power like this was common. That so-called priest is full of crap.

I feel like it's too early to be showing us exceptional feats such as the circle-less transmutation. (What did Eric sacrifice for the spear, anyway?) They need to make more clear what typically is and isn't possible before showing us exceptions to the rules. I feel similarly about the Philosopher Stone.

We were thrown into this rather abruptly too. Why is Eric here in the first place, and if the reason is the Philosopher's Stone, what does he need it for? Conflict doesn't have much meaning without goals (even though I wouldn't object to a fraud being exposed). We need context; they can show us the flashy battles later.

Overall I suppose it was a decent start, but I hope the initial missteps are cleared up soon.
Jan 16, 2016 10:15 AM

May 2015
TripleSRank said:
I find it interesting that Eric claims to be a man of science and that he doesn't believe in God, yet at the same time he views modifying the human body as a sin. I don't think he's as sure about his beliefs as he claims.

It's not surprising that men would try to spread false religions if a power like this was common. That so-called priest is full of crap.

I feel like it's too early to be showing us exceptional feats such as the circle-less transmutation. (What did Eric sacrifice for the spear, anyway?) They need to make more clear what typically is and isn't possible before showing us exceptions to the rules. I feel similarly about the Philosopher Stone.

We were thrown into this rather abruptly too. Why is Eric here in the first place, and if the reason is the Philosopher's Stone, what does he need it for? Conflict doesn't have much meaning without goals (even though I wouldn't object to a fraud being exposed). We need context; they can show us the flashy battles later.

Overall I suppose it was a decent start, but I hope the initial missteps are cleared up soon.

As a guy who's finished it, most of your stuff is explained relatively quickly.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 25, 2016 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
Pretty first good episode.

My expectations for this aren't as high as for Brotherhood but expect this'll be good in it's own right.
Jan 26, 2016 11:53 PM

Dec 2013
Really really first good episode. Brotherhood really did rush things.

That final scene had me fanboying. Glad I finally started watching this.
Apr 30, 2016 8:12 AM

Jul 2013
I started watching this again to see whether i was too harsh on it the last time but i'm just one episode into this and it's already breaking it's own rules. Pulling iron out of the sand is realistic i guess but where the fuck did Ed pull the wood for the rest of the spear. Make's no fucking sense and could have been easily avoided by just having the whole spear be iron.

But no. You could say that's it just minor detail but like i said it breaks the whole system.
Sep 16, 2016 3:10 AM

Mar 2015
Since I've decided to watch Dub for this series, I'm trying to push through this anime again. I quit before. I can't stand Aaron Dismuke, but I'll give it a go. I was going to go ahead and start Brotherhood instead, but I have an itch for older anime that were mainly cel-animation and not digital. Plus it's the original.

FUCK English Alphonse.
Wicked_EdwardSep 16, 2016 6:29 AM
Nov 23, 2016 10:22 PM
Nov 2016
A really great start. Let's see if this meets my expectations!
Dec 13, 2016 8:53 AM

Nov 2016
I really like Eds Japanese voice and I'm mainly watching it in Japanese as I love Rei Kugimiya.

I was recommended watching this and then FMAB as I was told I might not want to watch this one if I watched FMAB first.
Jan 27, 2017 7:00 AM

Oct 2014
Good to be watching an old school classic !
May 12, 2017 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
Dang, effed up first episode, AL being completely disintegrated and Edward losing his arm and leg while trying to revive their dead mother (which didn't really work out, poor mother)

Interesting first episode though, I wonder how Elric got AL back or at least his soul (that he put in an armour suit) it would seem.
Philosophers stone seems really strong in the right hands, or hand in Elric's case.

PrOxAntoMay 12, 2017 4:15 PM
Sep 16, 2017 11:24 AM

Jul 2016
Playing the Opening at the end of the first episode is pretty weird, but I appreciate it nonetheless.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Jan 4, 2018 11:14 PM

Sep 2013
I'm finally getting around to watching this anime. I always tend to put off viewing series longer than 13 episodes. Good kickoff to this anime though. Looks like it might be worth the wait.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 13, 2018 10:06 AM

May 2016
Great first episode, have a feeling I'm going to like this series.

It shows the consequences and laws of the wolrd on Fullmetal Alchemist rigth off the bat!

100/100 score
Dec 23, 2018 7:13 PM

Aug 2007
It’s been about ten years since I watched this.
I never managed watch Brotherhood, so I thought rewatching this and treating myself to the “better version” is the way to go.
I have a lot of good memories with the original!

Jun 19, 2019 7:55 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode! Might say I liked it more than it's brotherhood counterpart. This seems more serious and the comedy hits better when it does.

The only complaint I have is why place the opening at the end? Maybe it's the file I downloaded.
Jun 19, 2019 8:34 AM

Jul 2016
swiftestcat said:
Optigisa said:
The only complaint I have is why place the opening at the end? Maybe it's the file I downloaded.
It's not the file you downloaded, it's like that on Netflix too. It's probably because there was no opening at the beginning of that episode so they put it at the end as a sort of opening for the next episode.

Oh hello there. Yeah, I watched the second episode just now, and I noticed that they placed the opening at the beginning this time. Thanks for the clarification though!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 21, 2008

170 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:46 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 50 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 12, 2009

56 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 49 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 11, 2009

57 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 48 Discussion

suki78787 - Jul 13, 2009

44 by phantom346 »»
Apr 11, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.