MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Which .Hack comes first? O.o?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Which .Hack comes first? O.o?

View Poll Results: Which .Hack is the first season?
.hack//GIFT

0.00%
.hack//Legend of the Twilight

1 2.70%
.hack//LIMINALITY

4 10.81%
.hack//ROOTS

2 5.41%
.hack//SIGN

30 81.08%
Voters: 37

12-23-07, 7:43 PM

i'm planning to start .Hack but i don't really know which one comes first. And all the different names and stuff makes it harder to tell. A friend of mine said to start with .Hack//SIGN so i'll probably start that one off but i want to know what other people say. So if you know which one to start first, post it! thanks ^_^

12-23-07, 7:51 PM

Start with .hack//SIGN I guess, but it doesn't actually matter. They're all pretty self-contained. And .hack//ROOTS isn't even the same game although there are connections. Really, to get the most out of .hack you would have to play all the RPGs, read the mangas, novels and what not next to the anime series. Since that's how the whole story / mystery completes itself.

12-23-07, 8:07 PM

Like Crystal said, everything makes a lot more sense if you've played all the games etc, but it's not really necessary to enjoy the anime (though it helps A LOT). I'd start with .Hack//Sign, then watch //Liminality. Both take place during the first 4 games (Sign ingame, Liminality out). Roots is basically the prequel to the //GU games (which take place after the first 4 games in the next version of "The World"). The special ".Hack//GU" takes place after the events in the //GU games. The special ".Hack//Unison" takes place after the first 4 games.

Keep in mind, the anime series aren't exactly action-packed. It's basically all talk.
Modified by Neverender, 12-23-07, 8:15 PM

12-23-07, 8:55 PM

It's bascially what Crystal and Neverender said. I watched SIGN and Legend of The Twilight, and I didn't completely understand everything about the story. When I found out that you had to get the games and read the mangas as well, I pretty much gave up on the .Hack series. If you really want to get the full experience of .hack, you better start with the games.

12-23-07, 9:00 PM

well, maybe since i haven't played the games thats why i never really got into the anime that much...

though i went from sign to dusk and was gonna watch liminality after but never got around to it.

12-23-07, 9:06 PM

if you want to follow the story line Liminality and Infection are the first part, followed by sign.

anime owned collection list http://tobruk.dvdaf.com/

" You guys want to see me do a magic trick. I will make this pencil disapear."
- the Joker

12-28-07, 11:35 AM

Actually Sign and legends of the twilight do go together in many many ways, cause legend is revolving all around what happened in sign. And they even have a episode where the people from sign and the people from legends meet each other.

Sign is first though.

12-28-07, 12:01 PM

Yea, it helps abit if u watch .hack//sign, cos they make cameos in the game XD

But for me, i didn't watch .hack//sign but was still able to get the most out of the game. If u are watching .hack//liminality, i recommend you watch the 1st epi when you are playing vol.1 and 2nd epi when u playing vol.2 etc.

12-30-07, 7:30 PM

.hack//sign is the best place to start off. It was intended as a lead-in to the first set of games from the start, and its events are set just before those of the first game.
It should be followed up with the 4 games (infection, mutation, outbreak, and quarantine, in that order).
The Liminality OVAs are intended as compendiums to the games, with each episode detailing offline investigations about the events occuring online in the games. In fact, each of the games was released with a separate DVD containing the corresponding liminality episode.
Gift is a parody that is actually on the 4th liminality disc, which is a good indication of when to watch.

Legend of the Twilight Bracelet is a mostly standalone story, and is the only series that does NOT have a direct game tie-in, though I would recommend seeing it after the games, as it does provide some references.

Roots can be taken as unrelated to the previous ones, though still has references to sign and the previous games. As before, it is a direct lead-in to the GU games (Rebirth, Reminisce, and Redemption, in that order). Unlike sign, which resolves much of its individual story, roots leaves very little resolved at the end to provide additional incentive to get the games.

Most of the manga and novels simply provide additional background information or a retelling of events from an alternate perspective. They're necessary for a complete understanding of The World and the events and characters within, but you can live without them.

01-01-08, 3:13 AM

//sign
//lim
//gift
//twilight
//roots

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices