Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2009 3:43 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fantastic episode, I was able to see how different Maya and Ayumi were in their portrayal of Helen. All the while, the romance between Maya and Hayame is slowly progressing. It has been since the show began.. now that I think about it. I wonder how she will react when she finds out that he is Mr. Purple Rose.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 11, 2011 9:24 PM

Feb 2008
I wish the animators had bothered to study the story for the play to the extent that the characters did, its obvious that they don't understand how the actors should be performing.

also, why do they keep switching back and forth from English to Japanese? it disturbs the reality that they're trying to create.
Jun 16, 2014 6:24 PM

Jan 2010
I really liked this episode; I preferred Ayumi's rendition of Helen to Maya's though. Maya was just too over the top for me, and her acting was way too distracting for me to feel anything for her character portrayal. There is such a thing as overacting, and Maya is dangerously close to crossing that line. I'm a person who rarely gets emotional, and I teared up during a couple of parts of Ayumi's performance. She was so much more believable to me. (Man, I'm talking like these characters are real.)

Bottom line:

Ayumi > Maya in episode 23

P.S. (I still like Maya and am rooting for her character!)
Dec 20, 2014 1:23 AM

Oct 2007
Ayumi's is the perfect Helen to the book while Maya's was based on 3 things, can't see, hear and talk.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 9, 2017 3:17 PM
Aug 2014
Thought they both overacted, but Maya's part of the play made me understand the play better.
Dec 3, 2019 7:40 AM

Oct 2015
The was a bit unsettling for me, maybe I'm overreacting. Or maybe because pretense became reality, I don't know.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 10, 2020 6:04 PM

Aug 2014
I was under the impression that the two would be performing in the same play yet performing in separate acts interchangeably. What I got was literally just a repeat of the Takekurabe plays several episodes back. I was really looking forward to seeing Maya and Ayumi play off of each other's interpretation of Helen. I feel extremely disappointed that they performed separately. This decision just makes the repetitive feel of the show worse.

Observing the performances themselves, Maya and Ayumi were both good. I felt I connected more with Ayumi's Helen rather than Maya's Helen, however. I felt like she conveyed more of the frustration that Helen felt growing up than Maya did.

I'm hoping that this show can shake off the repetitive nature moving on. This episode was killed for me as it felt like the Takekurabe plays with a different coat of paint.

Jan 31, 2022 12:07 PM

Feb 2012
Maya's Helen was over the top, but I found it more affecting. Again I got the goosebumps when she was performing the final scene, and it was great that they showed both actors in the same scenes this time. I wish they had shown just a little bit more of the play. It's a feeling I've started to get pretty often in the series when they're showing actual performances. I still think the pacing is good regarding how many episodes are dedicated to each issue, but for example here a few minutes more would have been nice.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 51 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 12, 2011

34 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 12, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 49 Discussion

9 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 12, 7:27 AM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 45 Discussion

senerikfred - Dec 13, 2009

11 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Glass no Kamen (2005) Episode 47 Discussion

greentutu - Jun 29, 2013

7 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 46 Discussion

5 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 6:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.