Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 1, 2009 1:52 PM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmmm.... it's rated 8.6-ish on MAL after only one episode and no one has made a thread for the first episode yet....

I've just seen it on crunchy roll. I didn't know it was yuri before but the OP was pretty self evident. I proceeded to watch it nonetheless.

It's pretty good, I can tell the audience will be dragged into the emotions of the characters. It also looks like some nasty situations will happen.

For now, I'm dropping this unless there's nothing else to watch. Not that it's bad or anything, but it's just not my cup of tea (both slow romance stuff and yuri...). I won't give it a bad score though as it is well done.
Jul 1, 2009 2:19 PM

Sep 2008
Hm, I thought it was a really relaxing episode.
Actually, I think J.C. Staff did a great adaptation with the soft colors and all.

I'm definitely holding on to this anime to the end... not very happy it's on CR though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2009 2:25 PM

Jun 2008
Just finished watching Aoi Hana episode 1. It was pretty good. I too didn't know it was a yuri, but seems like it'll be a nice emotional show.

@HawthorneKitty: Why wouldn't you be happy it's on CR? Free video to many English speaking countries, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Jul 1, 2009 2:54 PM

Jul 2007
Looked beautiful, sounded beautiful, was beautiful. I will buy a subscription to CR if they put week-long delays on new eps for sure.

Also, for the people surprised this is a yuri... why? It's been tagged as "shoujo ai" for a while now. Heck, half of the anticipation of this was because it was a yuri.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 1, 2009 2:59 PM

Sep 2008
alamarco said:
Just finished watching Aoi Hana episode 1. It was pretty good. I too didn't know it was a yuri, but seems like it'll be a nice emotional show.

@HawthorneKitty: Why wouldn't you be happy it's on CR? Free video to many English speaking countries, I don't see anything wrong with that.
In my belief, it discourages fansub groups to sub it, and I daresay I like my karaokes for the OP and ED in anime...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2009 3:04 PM

Jul 2007
HawthorneKitty said:
alamarco said:

In my belief, it discourages fansub groups to sub it, and I daresay I like my karaokes for the OP and ED in anime...

OP/ED karaoke always felt like a small price to pay for legitimate subtitled anime 24 hours after the initial airing. Besides, isn't discouraging fansubs a good thing?
Jul 1, 2009 3:06 PM

Aug 2007
Splitter said:
Looked beautiful, sounded beautiful, was beautiful. I will buy a subscription to CR if they put week-long delays on new eps for sure.

Also, for the people surprised this is a yuri... why? It's been tagged as "shoujo ai" for a while now. Heck, half of the anticipation of this was because it was a yuri.

I didn't visit MAL before, I was looking for a new show to watch, and I always stream the first few episodes before downloading the series.

That's my reason/excuse :-)
Jul 1, 2009 3:13 PM

Jun 2008
Fansubs will continue and they will always be around. However, I appreciate having a legitimate source of anime. It's a sign of good things for the anime industry outsie Japan.
Jul 1, 2009 4:00 PM

Feb 2008
Is her name Akira or Aoi? Can someone tell me ? I didn't hear a single person said Akira, only hearing Aoi-chan.
What do you expect of Shoujo Ai? It doesn't said Yuri at all.

Do you think Maria-sama ga Miteru is Yuri? No that is Shoujo Ai (Girls Love). :D:D
BlackbirdJul 1, 2009 4:06 PM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 1, 2009 4:53 PM

Oct 2006
Her actual name is Akira, and her nickname is A-chan / Ah-chan, not Aoi-chan.

Shoujo ai is the Western term for yuri.
Jul 1, 2009 5:16 PM
Dec 2008
I think this was a pretty slow/boring episode. I'll continue to watch, though.
Jul 1, 2009 5:40 PM
Jun 2008
Spectacular.

At least there's Boobs McGee in the corner to ogle, since I can't watch it yet. Subbers, pick it up soon, hopefully :(
Jul 1, 2009 5:47 PM

Aug 2007
tehnominator said:
Spectacular.
[image]
At least there's Boobs McGee in the corner to ogle, since I can't watch it yet. Subbers, pick it up soon, hopefully :(

Where are you located?
Jul 1, 2009 6:01 PM
Jun 2008
MRLX69 said:
tehnominator said:
Spectacular.
[image]

Where are you located?

In a horrible place that does not get Veoh and several other privileges. No matter. I have been waiting YEARS for this anime. A few more weeks is no biggie.
Jul 1, 2009 6:26 PM

Jul 2007
kameko14 said:
I think this was a pretty slow/boring episode. I'll continue to watch, though.

If you don't like slice-of-life, bail now.
Jul 1, 2009 9:19 PM

Oct 2007
Wow just wow, I was drying for yuri anime tha is very calm and not so moe looking. And best of the best childhood friend and later meet again.

I love Character Design, very beautiful and calm looking. For the open and end song was really lovely. This most be a dream come ture.
J.C. Staff did a great job on it. i'm really looking forward for this.

Unlike Kannazuki no miko, Strawberry Panic, and other yuri anime (be side Oniisama e..., and Maria-sama ga Miteru. Which 2 those taget for shoujo.)
seem to be not the right yuri for me since the character Design/story is just seem so moe and fanservice

The funny thing to me is that being of June or end of May I just founded out about the manga , but when I founded out its was taget for Seinen. I didn't wanna read it, since I only read josei and shoujo .And after week when I was about to read it since the mangaka is woman, I heard about its come out as anime. Its was shock to me.

It be awhile I haven't watch yuri anime since i dropped watch/read yuri story since 2008 spring time. And got in to shounen ai.
@ MAL Claim an Anime Character v.2
Jul 1, 2009 9:25 PM

Apr 2009
I liked this show for the beautiful back rounds. Yuri? I'm not sure I understand what is so objectable about this. Love is love and it comes in many forms. I can only wished to be loved that deeply.
Jul 1, 2009 9:55 PM

Aug 2008
Loved it, loved the pacing, it dropped a lot of hints without getting too dramatic too soon (the cousin), though they cut some of the humor (Ah-Chan not waking up to find her sister complex brother cuddling with her,) all around enjoyable episode, can't wait for the rest.
Jul 1, 2009 10:37 PM

Feb 2008
Very nice, perhaps one of the best first episodes I've seen recently. The artwork was very appealing with a hand-drawn/watercolor look to it that nonetheless has the unfortunate side-effect of making the computer generated elements like cars and trains stand out rather sharply in comparison. Wonderful sense of subtlety about the whole thing, prime example being the scene on the train where the man molests Fumiko. Rather than show the violation itself, we instead focus on Fumiko's reaction to it: trembling, blushing, silently crying, mortified. It helps to make what this man is doing appear all the more detestable as a result.

Having recently read the first chapter of the manga I can say it was a good move to introduce the character of Fumiko's cousin Chizuko at the start of the episode unlike the manga which introduced the character near the end. It helped give a sense that Chizuko has figured prominently in Fumiko's life up to this moment. The existence and power of Fumiko's relationship with Chizuko is known early on making the revelation of Chizuko's marriage a more understandable shock for Fumiko.

There's a lot going for this show right now from the appealing premise of the recovery of a friendship that was lost ten years ago as well as the potential behind the two differing school environments. All I need to know is how many episodes we're going to get so I'll know how long I have to enjoy it.
Jul 2, 2009 12:06 AM

Oct 2007
cute episode, i really enjoyed the artwork for this show even if it is on CR
but it was terribly boring too. not quite about this show yet, i'll watch a few more to make up my mind
Jul 2, 2009 12:58 AM

Mar 2009
Slow and sweet and wonderful. <3 The director also did H+C and Nodame S1, and it shows. It's nice to see a serious shoujo ai anime that isn't all subtext, too.
Jul 2, 2009 1:35 AM

May 2007
Slow beginning is slow. I like shoujo ai, so that's a plus. Although I did become bored one time during the episode, I'm looking for the next episodes. 'Tis J.C. Staff after all.

tehnominator said:
Spectacular.

Same here, only that I got a guy on the right. Fuck.
Jul 2, 2009 5:47 AM

Apr 2009
I didn't like Fumi's personality too much, but otherwise the episode was quite pleasant. Because it's the first episode I can't judge how the series will turn out, but for now, I'll follow it.
Jul 2, 2009 6:00 AM

Oct 2007
Just like everyone, it's slow and sweet.
At least it didn't jump to anything really fast.
Can't wait for episode 2!~
Aoi Hana 2 Fuji TV Thu 02:08 6d 04h

Which is in 6 days lol.

o_o; I'm amazed I still post nowadays too.
I think you should join THIS Fanclub. (:
Jul 2, 2009 7:15 AM
Jun 2008
All right, this is going down in my books as one of the BEST adaptations from manga to anime EVER.

It's nice to see an anime take artistic license without compromising the content of the original work. I had read the first couple of chapters for Aoi Hana several times, so I know every event like the back of my hand, so I noticed the changes that were made. And you know what? They worked. It's as though the script writers and animators have decided to give the anime a touch of their interpretation without ever once destroying the canon.

Here are some of the things I noted:

- opens with flashback to Fumi crying when this event didn't take place till later on.

- Chizu at the breakfast table wasn't in the manga, so that entire scene was original. Added something to the story, showing Fumi's unhappiness about her move and her lacklustre feelings for school, and also it shows that Chizu is an important presence.

- Akira's brother scene omitted, changed to a scene of him readying the car.

- introduction of Fumi and Ah-chan's fathers; they don't exist in the manga as far as I've read, so it gives a family feeling to the story that other anime tend to neglect

- it was Ah-chan who was put off by predators on the train when she saw Fumi crying; she never hit the guy in the manga, although it adds zest, strength and spunkiness to her personality

- omitted scene where Fumi goes to hang out with the girls from her class, though that's not a bad thing. It's only 11 episodes, after all.

- the visit took place at Fumi's house in the manga, not Ah-chan's (minor, but it allowed for the intro of Ah-chan's dad)

- introduction of Fumi's grandmother who the two girls talked about but you never see in the manga during another original scene.

Anyway, that's all I can remember now. I liked it a lot. It doesn't shove the same scenes from the manga right back at you, so it makes the viewing experience for people who have read the manga very enjoyable, since they're not simply seeing the same scenes regurgitated in motion.
Jul 2, 2009 7:39 AM

Mar 2008
Generally I like slow paced shows / shoujo.

This one has great art, a nice relaxing aura and can be described best with the word "beautiful". Parts of the episode were a bit boring, though. Fumi's CV is very refreshing and nice. The last sentence before the ED had quite an impact on me.

Quick question: Is Fumi a little bit in love with Chizu or was it just my imagination?

I put this onto my PTW a long time ago due to a recommendation and in hopes this could be a 2nd Marimite. Can't really say much in regards to that after this one episode, though.

Until we meet again next episode. ^^
Jul 2, 2009 8:26 AM

May 2007
i just realized that Fumi's seiyuu is Guren Onna lol

Forever said:
Generally I like slow paced shows / shoujo.

Quick question: Is Fumi a little bit in love with Chizu or was it just my imagination?

not just a little bit >___<
with Marimite it has the "slice of life theme" in common
but Aoi Hana has love relationships among the girls too... so in this aspect its better

if i should describe it with one word, i would say "natural" (at least the manga)

oh btw i'm glad to hear another song by Ceui
Jul 2, 2009 8:42 AM

Nov 2007
Fumi's voice... Oh my earsssssssssssss

Jul 2, 2009 9:19 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That was solid, animation as well as everything else. Let's see where this goes.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 2, 2009 9:40 AM

Mar 2009
I knew it was going to be worth watching from the start. Like a good slow paced first episode that gives a good background story and at the same time didnt make it seem rushed
Jul 2, 2009 10:52 AM

Feb 2008
If her name is Akira, why do we not hearing anyone calling her Akira in the first episode?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 2, 2009 11:59 AM

Oct 2006
KuroTsuki14 said:

The funny thing to me is that being of June or end of May I just founded out about the manga , but when I founded out its was taget for Seinen. I didn't wanna read it, since I only read josei and shoujo .And after week when I was about to read it since the mangaka is woman, I heard about its come out as anime. Its was shock to me.

Aoi Hana is not a seinen manga. It is serialized in the alternative manga magazine Manga Erotics F which does not have a set-in-stone target audience like mainstream magazines do.
Thus any series that runs in Erotics F is neither seinen nor jousei.
Jul 2, 2009 12:13 PM
Jun 2008
Blackbird said:
If her name is Akira, why do we not hearing anyone calling her Akira in the first episode?

They all call her by her nickname: Ah-chan. It's only Kyouko who calls her "Akira" (which btw, is more of a boy's name in Japan) but that's because she called her by her full name in school "Okudaira Akira".
Jul 2, 2009 1:42 PM
Dec 2007
Quite a good start, with an incredibly basic plot though. The animation was good, the art and design were neet, and the atmosphere quiet and soft (a bit too much maybe I almost fell asleep halfway through but fight back against sleep :)). I will see more, even if it's definitely not the anime of the year (or the season for that matter).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 2, 2009 1:51 PM

Feb 2008
Akira could be both girl & boy name, already know that. Agreed with you 100% that more boys are using the name Akira in Japan.
Sorry I don't know about her name is really Akira, a human been is not 100% perfect.
Not more talking about that.

Well, this anime series is good, the story plot follow correct and the story just begin here. :)

tehnominator said:
Blackbird said:

They all call her by her nickname: Ah-chan. It's only Kyouko who calls her "Akira" (which btw, is more of a boy's name in Japan) but that's because she called her by her full name in school "Okudaira Akira".

Jul 2, 2009 2:40 PM
Jun 2008
Oresund said:
This will be a good adaptation of manga.

This already is a kickass adaptation. They've taken some liberties but they surprisingly work amazingly well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the 11 episode thing. I mean, the manga is still ongoing. I have a feeling they'll damage the conclusion of the anime. Or it will have one of those non-endings.
Jul 2, 2009 4:50 PM
Mar 2009
Well JC Staff does it again... Theres something about their romances/slices of life I always love

IT has a really distinct mood, very different from most slices of life out there, and being yuri is a plus
Jul 2, 2009 5:16 PM

Apr 2008
Isambard said:
[words]

This post was pretty much point for point what I wanted to say.

The manga is one of the best of the nebulous modern 'yuri' genre and I had high hopes for this out of everything this season. After this episode, I still do.

Also I'm chalking up that OP as unskippable
Jul 2, 2009 5:37 PM

Feb 2008
Well that was just lovely.
Jul 2, 2009 6:14 PM

Dec 2008
Meh I thought it was alright. Still watch it though.
Jul 2, 2009 6:35 PM

Jun 2008
I've been foaming at the mouth for a serious shoujo-ai for some time now since I watched all of Marimite (Lesbo slumber party Strawberry Panic doesn't count.), and this will do the job nicely.
Strangely enough, I should have been bored by something like this, but I found it fascinating. Maybe yuri is a state of mind as well as a genre?

Oh, and in uh, the flashback does Fumi...
Just morbid curiousity, that's all.

EDIT: For our region locked allies: Koharubi has a sub out for this.
Jul 2, 2009 6:41 PM
Jun 2008
gloomheart said:
I've been foaming at the mouth for a serious shoujo-ai for some time now since I watched all of Marimite (Lesbo slumber party Strawberry Panic doesn't count.), and this will do the job nicely.
Strangely enough, I should have been bored by something like this, but I found it fascinating. Maybe yuri is a state of mind as well as a genre?

Oh, and in uh, the flashback does Fumi...
Just morbid curiousity, that's all.

EDIT: For our region locked allies: Koharubi has a sub out for this.

As for your question:

Lmao, Lesbo Slumber Party.
Jul 2, 2009 7:21 PM

Oct 2007
niwasatou said:
KuroTsuki14 said:

Aoi Hana is not a seinen manga. It is serialized in the alternative manga magazine Manga Erotics F which does not have a set-in-stone target audience like mainstream magazines do.
Thus any series that runs in Erotics F is neither seinen nor jousei.

Sorry didn't know much about 'Manga Erotics F Magazine'.
I just got the word 'seinen' on mangafox - Aoi Hana. If neither seinen or josei, then some one on mangafox should remove seinen under Aoi Hana?
KuroTsuki14Jul 2, 2009 7:25 PM
@ MAL Claim an Anime Character v.2
Jul 2, 2009 9:41 PM
May 2008
Alright first episode very simple and cute. Something about the color scheme was very interesting imo and kept me entertained... something about its simplicity... reminds me of ARIA in the simple but beautiful colors.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 2, 2009 10:53 PM
Sep 2006
Haven't watched this yet, just saw the torrent for it since I woke up about half an hour ago. I can only pray that this doesn't turn into a shirt-ripping , molesting shoujo-ai series (I'm looking at you Kannazuki no Miko) because the moment I see something like that, it's dropped. And I don't usually drop shows. :/
Jul 2, 2009 11:10 PM

Aug 2008
wait so did fumi and chizu used to be lovers or did she just have a crush on her that Chizu knew about? I was confused about that. I don't care about spoilers. lol someone tell me somehow cause thats gonna put everything about this series in perspective for me.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
Jul 2, 2009 11:12 PM

Jun 2007
aawww such a sweet episode
she meets her friend
just as her cousin leaves her
Fumi love her cousin right
Anyways everybody yuri time nao!!!
Jul 2, 2009 11:17 PM
Feb 2008
mcjazzman32 said:
wait so did fumi and chizu used to be lovers or did she just have a crush on her that Chizu knew about? I was confused about that. I don't care about spoilers. lol someone tell me somehow cause thats gonna put everything about this series in perspective for me.

I'm reading the manga so regarding Fumi and Chizu...

Anyway, I love the OP and ED songs...I think they're awesome!

I totally recommend reading the manga (to know all the details) on top of watching the anime.
Jul 2, 2009 11:28 PM

Sep 2008
I liked the feel of it. The characters look like they're going to be developed well, the art and sound is nice. Even though yuri is the reason I'm disliking Saki, it doesn't look like that'll be the case with this one. ^_^

Unfortunately my computer didn't appreciate the OP/ED, so I didn't get to see them as part of the episode, probably look around YT for them tomorrow.

When one of 'em calls the other 'flat chested' I snickered, even though most of the anime's I'm watching put far too much emphasis on bust size >.<

"You're such an idiot."
~Celty (Durarara)

"How many seconds until the boy confesses his love to the girl?"
~Durarara

Should it be sad now that twice in a season I've been glad that subs scrolls by to quickly for me to process?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fugles - Sep 9, 2009

127 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 7, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Aug 12, 2009

65 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 6, 6:23 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Jul 15, 2009

74 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Mar 5, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 8, 2009

80 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:06 PM

Poll: » Aoi Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starrysky - Sep 2, 2009

56 by Destroyer31 »»
Jun 10, 2023 10:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.