Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Nov 6, 2009 4:28 AM

Jul 2008
So far so good.
Dec 19, 2009 6:00 PM

May 2009
i got to say i would have beat that little girls ass too for that sound she makes
Dec 21, 2009 12:43 AM

Aug 2007
duffman23 said:
i got to say i would have beat that little girls ass too for that sound she makes

I gotta say that child abusers like you should be shot.
Dec 29, 2009 9:41 AM

Oct 2009
Decided to re watch for BluRay quality and it is amazing. Visually another experience and details/colors much better as seen here=>
Careful details like the rain/rose colors made it worth seeing again.
Drunk_Samurai said:
duffman23 said:

I gotta say that child abusers like you should be shot.

I agree.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Dec 31, 2009 3:00 PM

Aug 2009
Hmm, that wasn't bad, I guess. Wonder what's going to happen. It's hard to have a lot of money. :( Like this one.

A lot of mysteries sprouted out of nowhere. Now, I'm starting to wonder if Beatrice is real or not. I'm guessing she's real since she gave the umbrella to Maria.

Also, the mother of Maria seems to have a double personality? At first, she was like very angryat Maria, and after few moments, she's like strated to be caring and loving. Hmm.
Jan 31, 2010 4:25 AM

Aug 2008
Has anyone notice that Rosa and Eva kinda looks like Beatrice? >.<
Feb 21, 2010 10:59 AM
Aug 2009
It's not awesome, but still good. But I think that show all characters in first episode is not a very good idea. But, I have hope, that it will be great series :)

And I love OP ^^

darkerealm said:
Has anyone notice that Rosa and Eva kinda looks like Beatrice? >.<

Yeah, especially Rosa ^^
shukkuFeb 21, 2010 11:04 AM
Mar 12, 2010 11:39 AM

Aug 2008
wow, i feel like having a little deja vu because of voices - some of seiyuus are the same as in Higurashi.
May 7, 2010 4:34 PM

Nov 2009
hmm i really hope this is a good anime... i love the little girl... kinda creepy anime but im really sure itll get better =)
Jun 26, 2010 4:00 PM

Feb 2010
One episode in, and already characters are pissing me off. Battler is a moron, and Maria... deserved every slap she got from her mother. And I would add a third for good measure.
Jul 4, 2010 11:58 AM

Dec 2009
So far , looks good . Maria's uu is a little annoying but she probably has a good reason for it...

Love the Op <3 ~
Aug 6, 2010 2:40 PM

Apr 2010
Great episode, great opening.
Maria should stop with the "uuu" I couldn't blame her mother for slapping her.
I felt all like "Someone make her shut up already..."
Sep 5, 2010 2:21 PM

Jan 2008
My god, Maria and this "uuu~uu" noise were so terribly annoying! =/ I have to admit I was kind of glad someone made her shut up...although this was obviously not a nice move from Rosa there.
And I couldn't help but think of Hanyuu...she sounded almost the same. (Felt a bit as if they recycled the whole seiyuu cast of Higurashi..xD)

Can't say much about the whole thing yet, but it doesn't look bad so far. =) Uhm, but it seems like I'm in the minority here : found the ED to be quite stupid. xD
SaorinSep 5, 2010 2:29 PM

Dec 2, 2010 9:01 AM

Jul 2009
I haven't heard many good things about this anime adaptation but I loved Higurashi so I thought I'd give it a go anyway. Initially, it looks fairly interesting with a diverse cast of characters (with most of the VA from Higurashi returning I see) and the art isn't bad. OP was actually very good but the ED was just weird.
Aug 3, 2011 9:14 AM

Dec 2008
duffman23 said:

Yup I was thinking that ever since the beach scene and when her mother finally did I was cracking up. I mean honestly she nine years old so she should be able to talk in full sentences without that annoying sound. It just pisses me off >.<

Aug 12, 2011 11:18 PM

Aug 2010
not bad to start, i'm looking forward to what this will become.
Jan 26, 2012 2:52 AM

Sep 2011
That was actually really good! I can already tell this is going to be a twisted Anime! I like. >:D
Oct 16, 2012 3:07 PM

Feb 2012
The drawing style remembers me so much of Higurashi and music is really scary which is good.

Is there somekind of mystery going on why that little girl cries all the time and says
UU

Also that Beatrice's painting O_O

Conclusion: This one is going to be scary / twist anime like OriginANIME says I like it too :)
Dec 27, 2012 6:22 PM

Jul 2012
It's kind of weird. LOL 3/5

Maria makes ugly sounds. :| I was okay when her mom slapped her even if she is going overboard.
Apr 16, 2013 12:18 PM

Mar 2013
It look promising.. Opening and ending are both awesome pieces of music !
Also the animation is quite excellent (although im not that good in defining that, i was amazed by that liquid animation in the first scene)
And wow 17 pages in this thread o.O
May 19, 2013 10:41 AM

Mar 2011
My goodness, is that Hanyuu sound annoying.
May 25, 2013 9:12 AM
May 2013
So much comedy in this episode ,I thought this is a horror/thriller anime ... hmm anyway it seems it's going to be a twisted anime.
Jul 26, 2013 3:12 AM

Sep 2011
Maria's sounds are really annoying after a while... i understand her mother.
Oct 11, 2013 2:41 PM

Nov 2012
Having high hopes for this anime. This sounds like a great mystery series.
Oct 15, 2013 2:00 PM

Aug 2013
Seems good so far...
But oh gawd, Marias screaming is annoying! >__<
I also have the feeling Maria is going to be one of those creepy/insane characters, I love this~!
Emilia314Oct 15, 2013 2:16 PM
Dec 9, 2013 12:35 PM

Feb 2011
Maria was so annoying i truly hope she doesn't appear much on this show. Apart from that everything seemed interesting if not a little cliché.
Dec 13, 2013 9:12 PM

Aug 2013
When they were looking for the rose I was like "Maria's ooh ooh noise is so annoying!" Two seconds later, Rosa tells Maria to stop making her ooh ooh sound XD!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 23, 2013 11:25 AM

Dec 2013
Since I've finished the sound novels a while ago, I will give the anime adaption a try to see for myself how "good" it is. I'll try to judge as if I hadn't already read the source material, but that'll probably be pretty hard, lol.

The first episode was alright... Pretty decent actually. Great voice acting (same cast as the PS3-version of the novels?) and some of the backgrounds looked rather nice, but the actual characters were... inconsistent to say the least.
The artstyle itself is already not exactly to my liking (looks really... bishie?), but combined with the partly terrible animations, I have to say that the visuals are the worst thing about it so far. Proportions vary from scene to scene, and the hair in particular looks horrible most of the time.
If I hadn't read the novels already, I'd also criticize the pacing. They jumped from scene to scene way too fast, especially considering the huge amount of characters that had to be introduced.
Good for me, since I had to go through those introductions like ten times, but I'd be confused as hell if I didn't know the whole cast already.

But all in all... not bad. But that's just the first episode, so who knows what'll happen.
Hue
Jan 25, 2014 1:01 AM
Jul 2018
Maria's "uuu~" is kinda annoying, no wonder Rosa got mad at it.
3/5
Mar 12, 2014 3:39 AM
Sep 2011
tried to watch it, but that damn Loli girl and her moaning so annoying that i just didnt finish it....maybe my ears will be a lil more forgiving a 2nd try???
Apr 3, 2014 1:44 AM

Apr 2013
This was pretty great. 10 times better than Higurashi crap. This is what I call a classic horror/mystery. Perfect pace, ideal themes and quite decent characters, music & animation. It reminded me of Clive Barker's Undying, Family Guy's murder mystery dinner party episode, bits of Melancholia, bits of L'avventura, bits of The Haunting, bits of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and some more. Isolation, island, typhoon, rain, mansion, painting, ghost, treasure, a group of people (some greedy, which is great if done in agreeable way), a man semi-delusional who's on the verge of death seeing things now clearly, what else can I want? I really like this style. While Hitchcock haven't really done a movie with similar plot, I think this is exactly his style. Except for the supernatural part, which I prefer more to dull factual reasons. I hope it keeps up with this quality. I know the show's incomplete but I couldn't care less about the ending if this level of quality is maintained, and what more is some mystery is always good for productions like this. We really need more anime like this.
RememberTheCantApr 3, 2014 1:47 AM
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist
Apr 3, 2014 3:21 AM

Aug 2009
Prequel said:
This was pretty great. 10 times better than Higurashi crap. This is what I call a classic horror/mystery. Perfect pace, ideal themes and quite decent characters, music & animation. It reminded me of Clive Barker's Undying, Family Guy's murder mystery dinner party episode, bits of Melancholia, bits of L'avventura, bits of The Haunting, bits of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and some more. Isolation, island, typhoon, rain, mansion, painting, ghost, treasure, a group of people (some greedy, which is great if done in agreeable way), a man semi-delusional who's on the verge of death seeing things now clearly, what else can I want? I really like this style. While Hitchcock haven't really done a movie with similar plot, I think this is exactly his style. Except for the supernatural part, which I prefer more to dull factual reasons. I hope it keeps up with this quality. I know the show's incomplete but I couldn't care less about the ending if this level of quality is maintained, and what more is some mystery is always good for productions like this. We really need more anime like this.

LOl dropping Higurashi to watch this shit.Let me guess.THe "moe stupidity" of the characters were shit right?

THank god Umineko anime has none of those and is definitely like you think it is./sarcasm
Apr 20, 2014 7:26 PM

Jun 2009
The episode was good but I feel like there are a lot of characters, I just hope that I can tell them apart with time.
Aug 19, 2015 11:02 AM

Feb 2015
Okay episode, too early for me to judge this anime yet... and about that annoying sound Maria makes, I just hope it doesn't keep up, gets REALLY annoying after a while.
Oct 29, 2015 5:30 AM

Jul 2014
Fucking hell, that Maria kid is seriously annoying. I hope she stops with that stupid sound. And how old is she anyway? She's acting like a freaking 5 year old but I swear she must be at least 8 years old (9 years old according to her bio).

Amazing OP though.
AtavisticOct 29, 2015 5:35 AM
Dec 20, 2015 11:45 AM
Jul 2014
Shit, I could feel that slap! All of them, one was worse than other...
Anime looks promising...
Jun 15, 2017 11:16 PM

Mar 2017
Maria is annoying as hell.

I cringed every time she opened her mouth.
Jun 24, 2017 7:58 AM

Jun 2017
i recently started the Umineko VN and liked it. thought i'd compare to the anime. i know VNs are almost always better than their anime adaptation,which is why i play them,but i was curious. so i watched the 1st anime episode...

by god was that BAD or what?!!it was atrocious. i felt like i was pressing the fast-forward button all the time,many scenes meanings got changed because IMPORTANT details got leftout (for instance,the anime makes Battler to be a pervert in the groping scene while it is clear in the VN that he not only was making a joke and wasnt serious,but was even fully accepting and expecting to get hit as punishment.

the characters became cardboard cutouts. the sarcastically evil and extremely smart Krauss was turned into nothing. they didnt even mention the relationships between all the characters.

in the"maria getting hit"scene in the VN i was truly sad for maria and angry at her mother. why?because 1:i got to understand/connect with her and 2:while in that scene she was somewhat annoying,she wasnt that annoying usually. in the anime they made the hit look fully justified by 1:not doing anything with maria beforehand like the VN did and 2:making her far more annoying in the scene than she was in the VN. also,the transition to that scene was EXTREMELY jarring.as in NO transition.one second they were at the beach and next second they were in the garden searching for the rose. they didnt even mention that this was the wrong group of roses. also,in the beach they said the epitaph asks for 13 sacrifices when it actually asks for 11,just like the VN said. oh,and they didnt even say the f***ing epitaph/riddle,which is what this whole thing is based on lol. seiously,wtf??

i could go on forever. however,i would like to mention that the anime opening song/accompanying video is EPIC! it gave me false hopes for the rest :(
Sep 4, 2017 7:03 PM

Aug 2015
Well damn. I was just about reaching my tolerance limit for the "ooooo! oooo!" and she gets a full dose of child abuse in the face. I don't feel even remotely sympathetic towards this annoying character. She is all the "little girl" tropes I hate in anime packed into one kid.
Dec 28, 2017 6:47 AM

Jan 2016
This has a lot of potential. However, I know Studio Deen isn't best in terms of animation, but the bad mouth syncing is a bit of a put-off. Hopefully the anime capitalises on that potential!
May 12, 2018 5:34 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty nice start, digging stories like this.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 27, 2018 11:24 AM

Jun 2015
This is giving me a better vibe than Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. I like it.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 26, 2019 5:56 PM

Jul 2014
battler is a pervert lmfao xddd i'm so glad they're using the same joke as in higurashi lolllllll

and boy i sure love hearing that uuu uuu uuu uuu sound of maria's over and over again!!!1 def the best
D-ohnutsJan 26, 2019 6:06 PM
Mar 26, 2020 2:29 PM

May 2016
That was interesting got me hooked right away.
Jan 27, 2021 6:56 AM

Mar 2013
Welp, my expectations were really high for this but the first Episode was just meh. Will probably start the Manga and see about the Anime later on
"You think your power has limits, I say it's limitless."

Jun 22, 2022 8:36 PM
May 2022
I started watching this due to the connection to Higurashi and also the apparent high body count. Things are looking interesting, a grand mansion with a dying head of the house, feuding family members, witches. The OP and ED are not so common and kinda fits with the theme but I'm not so fond of it. Battler reminds me of Kindaichi Hajime. Him, Jessica, Natsuhi, and Kanon are my favorites for now.
Aug 9, 2022 7:53 AM
Jan 2021
interested me so far. will continue to watch it
Jul 16, 2023 1:54 AM

Aug 2012
Oh hell no. That next episode preview sounds soooo annoying.

This episode really disappointed me. The breast jokes are fucking stupid and old. The little girl is annoying AF (like, I was rooting for the mother to shut her up when she slapped her).
The OP isn't too bad. I liked it. That's the only good thing I can say about this series so far.

I'm going to watch the next episode and give it one more chance, but honestly, as of right now, this is going to become a dropped one for me.
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Oct 2021
Oh wow, did not think that the adaptation was as bad as the people said it was.
Glad I started reading the VN with PS3 sprites first. Better art and better story overall.
Like 11 minutes in and it was already somewhere equivalent to 5-8 hours in the VN in the first episode.
If finishing episode 1 in the VN took around 24 hours playtime, then these 24 episodes in this anime either cuts bunch of stuff, or just doesn't finish the story.
yes.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 7, 2009

237 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 4, 2023 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.