Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »
Apr 14, 2014 8:54 AM

Mar 2012
Re-watching this movie and remembering how good it was reminds me just how tragic it was that 3.0 stuffed up as badly as it did.
Apr 16, 2014 5:10 AM

Oct 2013
This movie never stops to amaze me every time i re watch it !
May 26, 2014 9:55 PM

May 2013
Wow, wow, this movie is epic. The character developments that I wanted from Rei and Asuka are. I'm glad that Asuka is not annoying that much than her personality in the original series.

Mari rocks, she's a completely baddass. As same from Shinji at the final minutes, my gosh, the Third Impact.
The world shall know the truth soon.
May 29, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2013
The fight scenes were obviously way better than in the original. And there were some nice scenes here and there that could have nicely fit into the original but the said original is still a lot better.
Jun 24, 2014 11:43 PM

Jan 2014
I just finished this movie a few hours ago, and I'll be honest, the ending left a terrible taste in my mouth. The sudden convenience of Shinji's Eva getting all that power just because; the lack of coherence in what was going on and why the third impact suddenly started when it was clearly stated earlier that it should only begin if Lillith was contacted by an Angel, which didn't happen; and the absolutely HORRIBLE dialogue Ritsuko was given in a half-assed attempt to justify any of the stuff going on on-screen.

The first film seems like the better overall film to me now because it was more consistent. It didn't do a good job for most of it only to have the ending be executed piss-poorly, like this movie did. Why this movie is considered a masterpiece by so many escapes me when the ending is this cringeworthy.

Maybe I'm just really sour about it right now because I just finished it and I need time to calm down. It's possible. But man, did that ending get under my skin.
zacrathedemon5Jun 25, 2014 6:34 PM
Jun 26, 2014 7:32 PM

Jun 2013
Another great movie. Man the action in this movie was fantastic, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! The new character than appeared was sexy too. 3rd impact is about to begin in the next movie huh? Can't wait to see what happens next!
Jul 1, 2014 3:18 AM

Feb 2013
Okay, now things are just getting a little too ridiculous. Also, while Shinji isn't as much of a whiner in the Rebuilds, they made him seem like some cliche shounen main at the end there. I also thought it was odd that Nerv could track and understand what was going on to Unit 1, because if they knew it was possible for all of that to happen why would they build evas to begin with.

I dunno, the whole plot for the Rebuilds seems much more wobbly than the original.
Aug 14, 2014 10:44 AM

Apr 2013
amazing

asuka's introduction felt a bit rushed but the movie provided so much character developement for rei

mari feels like a little side story made by a mecha fan. little to do with anything (as of now) but goes nuts and provides the viewer with some sweet action

my god do i prefer shinji in the rebuild version.

the ending here also makes the third impacct more believable.

going from the series to end of evangelion and the third impact in eoe just was too much of a difference in supernatural shit happening

well fingers crossed that the third and fourth movie do not disappoint

overall i really like how different it is to the series. it really gives people two alternate versions.

while the series focused on what was going on in the heads of the characters, the rebuild movies are more about what is actually happening
Sep 9, 2014 9:31 PM
Nov 2013
Overall I gotta say I am impressed tho I almost raged when I thought Asuka bought the farm. I am very glad that they showed her at the ending trailer for 3, it seemed for a while like my worst fears were realized.

Positives: Animation is top notch
Shinji, Gendo and Rei's characters are much improved with Shinji not being a whiny emo crybaby, Gendo not being a grade A tool, and Rei not being as emotionless.

Minor gripes: Not enough screen time for Mari and Asuka, and not caring for the removal of Asuka's German accent from the English dubbed version.

Yes, the story is not a duplicate of the original, but that is ok in my opinion, I just wish it wasn't as rushed as it seemed to be. They should have maybe divided this up into 5 movies and gave more story and character development time and more time in between what seemed like an endless stream of angel fights at times.

Still, easily a great anime and I can't give it the 10/10 I give the original this is still a great anime and will get a 9/10, and thank god Asuka did not get killed or I may have rage voted a 5/10 lol.
Nov 5, 2014 1:26 AM

Jun 2014
That was surprisingly good.
The animations qulity is excellent and the actions are great.
Charaktere are good,but feel a bit rushed,especially the new girl.
All I know about he is that she is weird.

The story was good and many outstanding moments,but never the end the story lost me.
Dec 20, 2014 7:06 PM

Jul 2012
Oh damn, those two scenes with the trippy music.

But yeah, very nice, Eva 2.22. Very nice.

Onto the third one in an hour or so.
Dec 23, 2014 7:17 AM

Jul 2014
Poor Shinji T_T

Third Impact happened because of him.

Loved this movie.

10/10 from me.
Dec 28, 2014 6:53 AM

Sep 2012
Saw Evangelion 2.22 (Blu-Ray) and I loved it!
Jan 7, 2015 2:01 AM

Dec 2014
Daaaamn that was insane

I love how they use the original soundtrack for eva 01 berserk

overall great movie

9/10
oscar8784Aug 24, 2015 5:03 PM
Jan 10, 2015 12:35 AM

Nov 2013
I remember watching this movie. Probably the best anime movie I've ever seen right next to the second Gurren Lagann movie.

Feb 3, 2015 11:41 AM

Mar 2008
holy shit.. that was so amazingly good. Loved it
Mar 1, 2015 1:46 AM

Nov 2012
Kinda meh to me until the last 30 minutes. Damn, that last scene is amazing, plus the song too.

Still, I enjoy the original series more. Now off to 3.33, let's see what makes people hate it so much
Mar 3, 2015 7:41 PM

Oct 2013
Asuka being badass as always, quickest angel kill so far? hehe.

I must say I like'd the way how the characters ended up being developed here in the rebuild movie, especially with Rei & Asuka. The pacing seemed to be better then 1.11 as well and as always the animation in the fights against the angels looked really amazing, same goes to say for the OST.

Wasn't expecting to love 2.22 this much.

Mar 29, 2015 4:54 AM

Feb 2015
Animation was awesome as usual but character developments and the story are kinda meh to me. Characters in this movie seem shallow. They aren't fucked up anymore like in the NGE. I don't know it may be because i had very high expectation for this movie. One thing i'm glad is that Kaworu will get more screen time in the next movie. I'm looking forward to the interactions between him and Shinji. Overall it is a good movie but not the best for me.
Mar 31, 2015 1:30 PM

Sep 2014
I still prefer the original series + EoE, but this film impressed me more than the first Rebuild. Wish they did Asuka justice, but whatever.
Apr 29, 2015 4:55 PM

Nov 2013
Anyone that has seen my comments knows how much I absolutely despised the original Evangelion series and movies and gave them all 1's. I have to say, this movie is far superior in every possible way to the original series and End of Eva, it even made me think that Anno has some legitimate talent that went to excellent use here, and I give it a solid 9.1/10. Hell, I even stopped hating Shinji, which is something pretty impressive to me, given how much I hated him in the original series. I also watched this with my little sister (no Oreimo) and she thought it was pretty awesome.
May 10, 2015 8:23 AM

Feb 2015
Really good ending and animation 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2015 11:21 PM

Sep 2014
This was great, it's like a story in a parallel universe with all the changes that were made.

That being said, it doesn't take anything away from the original NGE story, it was really well done.
Mirai, zura~!
Jun 20, 2015 4:23 PM
Nov 2014
It's slightly better than RE 1.0 and I liked this movie alot more than EoE which I certainly didn't enjoyed watching a single bit.

6/10, quite overrated tho. Ranked at #57+ lol.
VirginAmirulOct 11, 2015 11:31 PM
Jul 25, 2015 9:20 AM

Nov 2014
I've been marathoning Neon Genesis Evangelion, starting with the original series, then The End of Evangelion, and now I'm watching these rebuilds. Dare I say it, I think this one is my favorite so far, and, frankly, the first Evangelion I really enjoyed. The narrative is sharper, exhaulsting exposition has been reduced, and character motivations are clarified. It's an improvement. Not to mention the art, animation, and action scenes are amazing.

8/10
Jul 26, 2015 3:32 AM
Feb 2015
dont know if this is the place to post this but im having trouble finding the scene near the end of the movie where this is a grown up rei and 3 smaller ones anyone to find it for me?
Jul 27, 2015 7:52 PM

Dec 2011
Uhh... I didn't love this as much as the original series, EoE, or even 1.0. Don't get me wrong. I liked the movie. A good 8/10, but there were things that I found strangely lacking in this movie... and some details that I sorely missed as an NGE fan.

But first the good: Music, animation, action. All of them were superb. The BGM felt a little sudden at parts, but that's just me nit-picking. The happy melody was a pleasant contrast to the on-screen violence. Fan-service is nice to have.

The bad: story-telling over all felt rushed. The characters seemed shallow.

A lot of people are commenting said they prefer the Shinji in the rebuild over the original but for me it's the opposite. It feels as though Shinji is lacking important moments of character development that was present in the original series... It makes it difficult to sympathize with him, to understand his actions, when in the original these were emotions and actions Shinji agonized over and left him traumatized. If I didn't have that background information from the original, I don't think I would have considered Shinji to be very interesting at all.

Asuka is even worse... I don't think her character was done much justice at all in the rebuild. She's even more pushy here than in the original, but her better qualities don't shine through. Her subtle interest in other characters means she isn't a completely self-interested person, but her lack of acute observations about them shows she cares little and pays little attention to them (and fails to show Asuka as a more sociable person)... which means her interest in others make no sense, and her criticisms of both Shinji and Rei make even less sense.... Her actions were supposed to display her self-perceived superiority, her sociability, and contrast her personality with those of Rei and Shinji... but with little development and lame character interactions, she only comes across as snotty. (Perhaps I am too stuck on the Asuka I knew and loved in the original, which makes the rebuild Asuka appear to be a shallow replica... still hot though.)

What's worse is that the execution of Unit 03 meant she was cut-off for the rest of the movie. Part of me suspects this was done to make room for Mari... who in her own right seems like an interesting character, but is still mostly a mystery.

Misato's background was brushed over too... but I was never expecting them to delve too deep into her past. What I did miss was her relationship with Kaji, since it seemed like the entire reason she dated Kaji in the first place was entirely left out. (Asuka's infatuation with Kaji was left out too... which leaves out Asuka's want for attention, independence, and her want to grow up quickly.)

Rei's development was the only one I was okay with because her motivations were clarified and her personality grew faster and more pronounced too. She found a way to be proactive and she took an interest in things besides Gendo and her piloting duties.

That was my character rant.

The ending was a surprise. I missed the beastly movements of the berserk Unit 01, which highlighted the purpose and origin of the Eva's, their armour, and their composition...
Aug 8, 2015 11:07 AM

Jun 2011
Poor thing. I really hate Gendo and Rei now. I feel sorry for Shinji, too.
Angry_Anime_NerdAug 8, 2015 11:11 AM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Sep 19, 2015 6:39 AM

Apr 2014
Ok this one was really impressive.

The movie was well paced and it was good to see they weren't too heavy on the exposition. I really liked most of the changes in this movie, such as Shinji and Rei's character development which was handled really well. Rei actually had a personality in this one and Shinji mans up and actually does something for himself.

The art, animation and battle scenes were top notch. I'm excited to see how the third movie will turn out.

9/10
Sep 24, 2015 12:56 PM
Mar 2014
my favorite movie ever
Dec 7, 2015 10:25 PM

Nov 2012
Liked this movie better than the first,but still ain't feeling these Rebuild movies.

Decide think of this series as an alternative rather than remake of the original series now considering how much they've diverged (but still can't get the original series out of my head while watching this which is making this all the more disappointing cause the rebuild movie keep falling short by a substantial amount).

Monad's post sort of explained/brought up points as to why this is a huge disappointment for me (since I couldn't properly put this into words).

To cut all that short I guess it could be said NGE was special and had this certain feel/vibe to it,this doesn't have it at all and seems more like a simple minded high quality action series,nothing more thus I think this series is terrible.

Edit: 3rd movie is apparently even worse than these first two,ohh man hope it won't be too painful to sit through,
Jan 8, 2016 6:59 PM

Jun 2013
DalPuri said:

^ Your post accurately conveys how I felt about this one. I liked 1.0 better as well. 2.0 was great, no doubt. Looked and sounded awesome, just like 1.0. It's going in an intriguing direction, at the very least. But it definitely fell short on characterization. On the one hand, it makes me happy to see Asuka having a better life outlook and Shinji being "enraged rather than pitiful", as others might put it, knowing what they went through in NGE. Similarly, I enjoyed seeing Rei being broken out of her shell. That was a welcome change. On the other hand, their internal plights is what made them so compelling in the original series. Idk, maybe I just like psychosis.......

I think it's important to judge these films independently from NGE because they're obviously not supposed to be the same, but, personally, it's admittedly hard to do so having knowledge of the original.
Feb 16, 2016 7:12 AM

Oct 2013
Damn... this was like a completely different entity than the series altogether. I wonder if it's possible for those who haven't seen the series to even keep up with this and understand what's going on...? Those of us who have know what the second impact is and what the third impact means, among other important things, but I don't know if those who haven't could get it. Or maybe they don't have to until one of the next two movies...?

Aside from that problem, I loved it. Everything was different yet somehow the same. My goodness, the animation is astounding. I don't think I've ever seen more enthralling "mecha" fights in my entire anime career.

That cliffhanger is brilliant too, and a huge change from the series. I love it.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 24, 2016 5:24 AM

Oct 2015
Incredible visuals and battle scenes. Developments are a bit rushed but aside from that, flawless
Mar 12, 2016 3:24 PM

Jul 2013
I prefer how everything went down in the series.
The changes they made for this movie just never hit the right notes, for me.

There's not enough character development for me to care about these characters and their... relationships...

Would have given it a 6/10, but the perfect animation and sound bumps it up to a 7.
Apr 30, 2016 3:15 AM

Feb 2016
APickyCriticMay 4, 2016 1:57 AM
Jul 13, 2016 2:47 AM

Dec 2013
Ok this was actually a pretty insane movie with a evil cliffhanger. I quite liked Rei in this movie and Shinji at the end was actually pretty cool.

Art and animation were both great except for the occasional use of CGI for some of the random people which didn't really look that great.
Aug 21, 2016 4:31 AM

Apr 2009
The Power of love and courage.

This isn't EVA anymore. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2016 9:35 AM

Feb 2015
New character, wow! I thought this was going to be a much better recap of the series, did not expect a new character!

lol, the personnel... speaking English, I've never heard that outside of dub before... then Kaji (and the new girl later on) came and ruined it.

Loving these new badass yet terrifying looking angels.

Inazuma kick?!

Everyone's developing nicely, I would even go far to writing I like both Asuka and Shinji now (Asuka isnt spamming anta baka too much which is good for my ears and Shinji isn't too whiny)

Rei gets more screen-time and is slowly starting to act like a normal person... which is nice.

Those being said, the whole thing was fantastic! Some parts were a little bit rushed but if you've watched the original it doesn't really matter... the ending was fantastic!

I hope the next movie can top this!
Nov 7, 2016 7:25 PM

May 2010
That ending was so chessy. If I hadn't seen the original, I wouldn't knw what the hell was going on.

So is Asuka dead or not?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 2, 2016 2:56 AM

Oct 2015
This was the best Evangelion i have watched so far. Oh man now it has me in fantasy about operating an EVA, damn how i wish they real.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 19, 2017 7:48 PM

Aug 2007
Oi, that was freaking amazing.
I've been trying to put these movies off until all four were complete, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. (To be fair, it's been years of waiting. I've been a huge NGE fan for a while, so it was hard to restrain myself.) I'll try to at least stop from watching the third one for a while more, in hopes Anno can finish it soon, considering Shin Godzilla has been released.

I was a tad worried watching the first movie, since I didn't feel like it was a strong as the original series. I rated it 7/10 and the series 8/10 with EoE as 9/10. But the second movie is very solid. Great animation, soundtrack was good (seriously, violent Evas plus children singing was very haunting, despite what some people said), and it kept the important parts of the series in tact. I think it's just as excellent as episodes 7-19. I'm not entirely convinced someone should watch the movies ONLY without the series + EoE, but as an alternative, it packs a punch.

Feb 22, 2017 7:11 PM
Aug 2016
All I can say is, wow. That DEFINITELY was different from the original show
Feb 23, 2017 2:37 AM

Sep 2016
Am I the only one who thinks 2.22 was the weakest of the three? 3.33 was actually my favorite so far. I like 2.22, don't get me wrong, but I felt a bit disappointed and robbed of the Eva characters I've come to know and understand. I mean, Asuka was completely stripped away of her backstory, which defines every one of her actions and her reason for being. All that was left was a fiery red-head who is aggressive for seemingly no reason. Misato's back story is glossed over a bit as well, being explained in a short, less graphic sequence from Kaji rather than herself. 2.22 is definitely good and entertaining but it's full of unnecessary fan service, lacks in character development (aside from Shinji and Rei, because I find their development wonderful and crucial as a gateway to 3.33), and carries a lighter tone that makes it feel less like an Eva film.

3.33, on the other hand, felt a lot more like traditional NGE to me. It was darker in tone and it wasn't filled with flashy distractions or unnecessary segments. It was cohesive with the first two films but took a sharp turn (as the original series did). The time skip is jarring and confusing, so (as was stated in this review) we can relate to Shinji a lot more as the film progresses. It was dark and heavy to watch, and I feel like it strongly emphasized the theme of desperately searching for familiarity in an unknown world (similar to the philosophical themes expressed in NGE). That continuous theme shapes the essence of this film and makes the character interactions all the more intimate and important.

Action and badassary do not always equal better, and that's where I think some people fail to see the importance other sequences carry. This is doubly important with a series like Eva because, truthfully, it never really has been just a giant, action-packed robot series. It's more of a multi-layered series that has to be taken apart to realize the extent of its genre and purpose.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Mar 7, 2017 6:58 PM

Dec 2016
Great movie and clearly much better than 1.0. I was actually thinking at the start of the movie how better most things were at the TV show UNTIL I found out that this is an absolute reimagination. Now, the aftercredits scene with Kaworu made me start to think how exactly is this Rebuild connected to the TV show, because I know it obviously is. That being said, I'm skipping 3.0 for now. Mostly because of the bad reception it got, raising more question instead of answering them (which I hate, but considering it's not the last movie I can forgive it for now). I'll watch it when 4.0 releases so I don't have an unsolved mindfuck in my mind LMAO (That's considering 4.0 is any good, because if it gets the bad reception 3.0 got I would probably stop here :/ ).

Well, returning to 2.0:
- Sound FX and Soundtrack: 8 (good soundtrack this time and sound as always)
- Story: 9 (Evangelion always deals with some interesting shit XD)
- Characters: 8 (Asuka finally!!! The character development for Rei and Gendo was great too. On the other hand, I disliked the new pilot (Eva 05) and Shinji is Shinji as always...)
- Animation: 10 (What a brutal experience this was. Wonderfully artistic design for the angels that look terrifying. Also, detailed and smooth animation)
- Enjoyment: 9

Verdict: 8.8/10

Well, I'll be back when 4.0 releases. Hoping for some redemption after the badly recieved 3.0 XD
May 20, 2017 12:41 PM
Jun 2016
Wow, this and 1.0 was amazing! Was not that into the original series, but this movie changed my perception of it. Really loved the alternative routes this series is taking. Everyone leveled up as a character(even Gendou!) Mainly, Asuka, Rei and Shinji (who was really badass by that final fight). All I can say is that I was thoroughly entertained and I am still in shock and awe from what I just watched. Really great designs and nice world building. May not please some who enjoyed the original, but this movie made me love this series even more. ❤️ Here's to waiting for 3.0 + 1.0!
Aug 2, 2017 7:55 AM

Feb 2015
That was actually really good! By far my favorite NGE atm. You get all the things that made NGE good (the humor in the first half, the more lighthearted parts, the fanservice, the good fights) with hardly any of the bad parts (I did dislike the part where Asuka almost got killed, it went a little downhill after that, but whatever) High hopes for 3.33.

Aug 11, 2017 10:56 PM
Jul 2018
Good stuff. I just wish there was more Asuka, don't really care about the new character.
Aug 19, 2018 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
Rewatching,,because I just bought the re-edition of the next movie.

If the sequel was not what it was, this movie would have scored a 5.

The technical aspect is its best side, except for some scenes where the CGI does not blend good enough (ex: some shots of the speed run). In general it serves the numerous action scenes.
The story takes a big step out of the series course so it keeps even the old fans inteested. But the movie itself revolves too much around the action and the stupid behaviors of the characters. Yes, the characters became between the TV show and this second "retelling" movie dumb clones molded in the archetypes the animation industry spawned in reaction to the surprise success Evangelion received in its time. Some even evolve later into another caricature: Ayanami Rei isn't the good old cult character but some male pseudo-fan phantasm.

Enjoyment: 2.5/5 (+0.5 thanks to the Inazuma kick, +1 because I didn't know what comes next back then)
Score: 6/10

@Nihki23 I guess you weren't pleased by the third movie? XD

@CodeBlazeFate I just remembered something... will you ever go through those movies?

@cptlee39 Personally, I just thought Rei's progression was more interesting in the series (where she ends up not emotionless too). Here, she seemed like a distorted version of the original character, seen through many EVA consumers fantasms. Just like Asuka, or Shinji. The whole movie actually felt like "the EVA everyone was crying to get / phantasized about".
That's why I needed more than a year to accept it. That's why I needed the third New EVA to be released in order to let it go. ^^" (that is probably the best solution for you: to watch the next movie. WITHOUT your mother.)
Have a nice watch.
Rei_IIIJan 20, 2019 4:43 PM
Aug 19, 2018 12:58 PM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
Rewatching,,because I just bought the re-edition of the next movie.

If the sequel was not what it was, this movie would have scored a 5.

The technical aspect is its best side, except for some scenes where the CGI does not blend good enough (ex: some shots of the speed run). In general it serves the numerous action scenes.
The story takes a big step out of the series course so it keeps even the old fans inteested. But the movie itself revolves too much around the action and the stupid behaviors of the characters. Yes, the characters became between the TV show and this second "retelling" movie dumb clones molded in the archetypes the animation industry spawned in reaction to the surprise success Evangelion received in its time. Some even evolve later into another caricature: Ayanami Rei isn't the good old cult character but some male pseudo-fan phantasm.

Enjoyment: 2.5/5 (+0.5 thanks to the Inazuma kick, +1 because I didn't know what comes next back then)
Score: 6/10

@Nihki23 I guess you weren't pleased by the third movie? XD

@CodeBlazeFate I just remembered something... will you ever go through those movies?
I will in preparation for 4.0 in 2020.
Pages (12) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »

More topics from this board

» Stop after this movie if you dont want to be disappointed

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

40 by Zero00phantom »»
Apr 2, 4:44 PM

» Mari being an insert for Hideaki’s wife

hanekawastiddi - Sep 3, 2023

6 by certainmiracle »»
Sep 4, 2023 12:00 PM

» Why They've shown Rei Nippels but didn't show Asuka Nippels?

LoliSenpai0x - Aug 6, 2020

9 by Jun_Rei »»
Feb 28, 2023 1:38 PM

» Shinji is gigachad

samthestan - Nov 26, 2021

6 by JohnLivelyMan »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:56 PM

» End of Evangelion or rebuild movie?

Requiemofthewind - Nov 7, 2021

8 by animeforlife808 »»
Nov 9, 2021 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.