Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 3, 2019 4:15 PM

Dec 2016
Definitely wasn't expecting the art change, but it was pretty unique and interesting and absolutely fit the story it was telling so that's good
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 16, 2019 4:12 PM

Nov 2016
Conceptwise the most interesting of the bunch, but visually not really my cup.

First movie get's an 8,5

Second one a 7,5

And this one a 7

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 31, 2019 5:45 PM

Sep 2014
I dont know why I suddenly decided to watch this, 6 month after I watched magnetic rose, but somebody said this ep was better than the first so I was interested.

Did not live up to that, but wasnt bad either. I feel like the message could have been delivered in a 5 minute short as well, so it stands between oddly long for not much plot and ending to soon.

Dont know if I will bother with Stink Bomb at some point, doesnt seem like I miss anything important if I just end it here.

I think MAL should list these as 3 seperate entries, just for the sake of convenience.

Maybe I will try Neo Tokyo next.

Overall I will only recommend Magnetic Rose, seems like you miss nothing if you dont watch the rest.

PS: Why is this called "Memories" anyway?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 16, 2019 6:20 PM

Oct 2016
Good series. Gorgeous visuals. I would rate the episodes as 8, 6, 7.
Now, onto this specific episode.
To be honest, I agree with most, but not all of the messages. I really liked the art style. It reminds me of old Russian cartoons, but with much higher quality.
I'm not one to ignore symbolism. I'm pretty sure most people recognized the replacement for "S" in this episode as the Schutzstaffel symbol. I do feel like a lot of the messages were a little "in your face" at times. It did however, get the point across, and that's what matters.
Overall, it gave off the vibes of a 30-minute Prog-Rock music video without the music.

Comander-07 said:
I dont know why I suddenly decided to watch this, 6 month after I watched magnetic rose, but somebody said this ep was better than the first so I was interested.

Did not live up to that, but wasnt bad either. I feel like the message could have been delivered in a 5 minute short as well, so it stands between oddly long for not much plot and ending to soon.

Dont know if I will bother with Stink Bomb at some point, doesnt seem like I miss anything important if I just end it here.

I think MAL should list these as 3 seperate entries, just for the sake of convenience.

Overall I will only recommend Magnetic Rose, seems like you miss nothing if you dont watch the rest.

>I think MAL should list these as 3 seperate entries, just for the sake of convenience.
I thought so at first too, but it's probably grouped together because the manga version is a collection of short stories as well. So I guess it makes sense this way.

Aug 17, 2019 2:32 PM

Sep 2014
Pikslap said:
Good series. Gorgeous visuals. I would rate the episodes as 8, 6, 7.
Now, onto this specific episode.
To be honest, I agree with most, but not all of the messages. I really liked the art style. It reminds me of old Russian cartoons, but with much higher quality.
I'm not one to ignore symbolism. I'm pretty sure most people recognized the replacement for "S" in this episode as the Schutzstaffel symbol. I do feel like a lot of the messages were a little "in your face" at times. It did however, get the point across, and that's what matters.
Overall, it gave off the vibes of a 30-minute Prog-Rock music video without the music.

Comander-07 said:

>I think MAL should list these as 3 seperate entries, just for the sake of convenience.
I thought so at first too, but it's probably grouped together because the manga version is a collection of short stories as well. So I guess it makes sense this way.

this is not the manga entry though. This is not my adaption list. But MAL having weird entries is nothing uncommon.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 8, 2019 12:42 PM

Feb 2009
this 3rd episode was shorter than the rest but it's message and symbolism was solid. would had preferred the last episode to have lasted a little bit longer specially when I was starting to enjoy it.

Magnetic Rose: 10/10
Stink BOMB: 7/10
Cannon Fodder: 6/10

Overall: 8/10
Jan 17, 2020 1:41 PM

Nov 2012
Liked this I guess although it was very weird, and loved Memories as a whole.

I would say it starts the strongest with Magnetic Rose and the following two aren't quite as good as that one.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 8, 2020 3:12 PM

Feb 2017
This one was interesting. Good message and gives you something to think about.
Mar 14, 2020 10:13 AM

Mar 2012
I liked it but felt the ending was a bit abrupt. The art style and setting were pretty interesting.

Overall, Magnetic Rose was definitely my favorite of the three short films. The only one I wasn't a fan of was Stink Bomb.
Mar 26, 2020 10:34 AM

Apr 2016
Bit over-wrought with the symbolism
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2020 4:24 AM

Apr 2009
This is the worst out of the three.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2020 12:03 PM
Mar 2020
this episode's style really made me feel like i was watching a soviet animated movie
Nov 28, 2020 7:34 PM
Jun 2017
Strange episode, with no defined story and character, though it was very interesting to see a nation only driven by war. In a way this could be what the proles in 1984 are doing throughout the book, withouth the Big Brother, of course. The music was good at times and the art's quality was lesser than in the previous episodes, but was still good overall. I'd give it a 7/10, mainly because of the steampunk environment and not-social-but-war-ridden societty, making my Memories' total score a solid 8/10.
Jan 23, 2021 5:52 PM

Jun 2020
This movie didn't really do it for me. I'm assuming it's some sort of message about war, and then also the low key nazi symbolism. I can appreciate it for what it is, but not my cup of tea.
Feb 9, 2021 2:19 PM

Feb 2020
After watching Neo Tokyo which one of the most shittiest anthology anime ever, My expectation for this were really low. But this was actually good. This and neo tokyo seems like day and night difference.

Magnetic Rose - probably the most engaging out of the 3 anime. They nailed the horror and sci-fi just perfect. But still I did not like the ending very much, kind of dower for my taste
Score -7/10

Stink Bomb - This was very funny but at the same time protagonist was annoying as hell (his powers were like zeref from fairy tail). They all deserve to die for qualifying a brainless guy as medical lab technician. I got to say this is the biggest plot armor guy in the history of anime I have ever watched. He was tenacious till the end...lol
Score -5/10 (least favorite)

Cannon Fodder - Out of all three, this was my favorite in terms of artstyle and worldbuilding. But unfortunately I ended abruptly. (They could has done so much with it)
Score -6/10

My theory - all 3 are shorts are connected. 2nd short happened first with fart guy wiping most of humanity. Remnant of humanity traveled to another planet for survival (3rd shorts planet). 1st short happened next with the garbage ship in some corner of space where humanity had already made spaceships equipped with high maintenance living environment as seen in the short. Finally 3rd short happened in future where humans decedents has a mutated face due to living in new planet environment as seen in change in art style. The thing they are firing through there canon is the fart man (from 2st short) who is still alive thanks to his plot armor and spreading his fart. And finally at the end, the sirens we hear means "goodbye remnant of humanity, fart man finally reached up to u." A funny theory I came up with.

Also watching it during corona time - 1st short ships name is corona, 2nd short has deadly fart spreading like virus by a man who has cough and fever....was it a corona prediction from past

Well overall was a 6/10 for me. Some decent short instead of abomination like neo tokyo
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Feb 20, 2021 4:12 AM

Jun 2020
I think this was the worst among the three with magnetic rose being best, doesn’t mean its necessarily bad though, its fine in its own right, would have been great if it was longer.

I like the art style for this one, different from the other two. This one’s strange
Mar 30, 2021 1:14 AM

Aug 2012
Cannon Fodder is interesting in that it pretty much lives and dies in it's design, both it's aesthetics and the actual machinations of the world itself. I love the art style, embodying the steampunk aesthetic and the way people have those shaded lines gives it a Sunday newspaper comic vibe. As for the latter, the film is deadset on showing us every little part of the process, whether it be what it takes to fire a Cannon or the bedtime routine for the son, we see every aspect of it. The lack of any camera cuts here is staggering, a technical feat to be sure albeit, one that I'd argue isn't very engaging to watch.

It's strange, watching this there were plenty of points (namely the first canon loading scene) that I was definitely bored but I find my fondness for the film only increased as the credits rolled on. I was definitely more entertained while watching this than Stink Bomb thanks to the unique art style presented, but for a good portion while watching it I thought "It's a shame Magnetic Rose got connected to these films" because I figured I'd be giving it a lower score. I was thinking I'd give a 4-5 but the more I recount on the experience, I just feel it's worth more than that. It's more of like a 7 for me now. I can't go too much higher since I don't really want to revisit Cannon Fodder again (though I'm not against the idea like I am with Stink Bomb) but I am glad I saw it and I'm impressed with how well it captures the day in the life of war-centric society, and perhaps even more impressed with it's one-take nature.

Overall I'd give Memories a 6/10, which sucks because Magnetic Rose and Cannon Fodder are both strong experiences (Magnetic Rose especially), that unfortunately get dragged down by Stink Bomb (at least in terms of MAL scores).
Mar 31, 2021 10:35 AM

Feb 2018
The art style of this episode reminded me of Dr. Seuss. Probably because it's reminiscent of the old mid 20th century style of comics. I preferred the first two shorts, but the art and animation was a nice change of pace. Magnetic Rose was a high 8, Stink Bomb was a low 8 and Cannon Fodder was a low 7; overall 8/10. I might rewatch this one though to see if my opinion of it changes. It was cool seeing more of what Katsuhiro Otomo has done, and Tensai Okamura's earlier directing. Madhouse and the three directors did an amazing job with the production, especially with the pacing, art and animation.
Sep 20, 2021 4:18 AM
Sep 2021
Episode 3 Was pretty good, I give it a 8/10.
I think that the real meaning of the episode It's not just about war, I think that is a severe critic to the capitalist system in wich we live in. The whole war thing it's just a metaphor for the "Purpose of life" that this system has implanted on us. "You'll understand when you're older". We never saw the enemy, the only reason to beleive there's an enemy is because we were told so (Economic system, Conditioned social enviroment, Media). The father doesn't know who's the enemy either, he doesn't know why he is fighting for, he just knows that he must work hard in the only labour that the system allows him to work on because he needs the money to sustain his family and provide an education for his kid (the only financial references on the episode are the School Bills wich gets more expensive year to year). But that education doesn't provides the Kid with more alternatives. It's the exact same knowledge that he will require to fulfill his father's duty.(Conditioning him to be another dissposable member of the working class that keeps the System working. "Cannon Fodder"). While we see how there are some members of the system wich receives the credit for all of the effort from the hardworking class (The boy see the man that presses the button as an idol while he despises his father's task, he doesn't know that there wouldn't be a button to press without the working class). I don't have much to say about the mother, it's the classic represenation of the selfless house mother. (There's no other place for the woman on a Man's war ¿Right? *SARCASM*). Even the people that we see protesting about the toxic gasses are slaves of the system as well. They don't seem to understand that the main problem are not the toxic gasses, the main problem is the whole system (There wouldn't be toxic gasses without the fake idea of the constant "War" in wich they live in).
ElNaffaSep 20, 2021 4:24 AM
Feb 16, 2022 11:50 PM

Apr 2016
This episode has a hidden message, if you hate it, means you don't understand.
kupat kecemplung santen menawi lepat nyuwun pangapunten
Feb 24, 2022 7:14 AM
Mar 2019
This Was A Bit Like The Person Who Was Still Fighting A War That Finished Years Earlier.
A Village Who Knows Nothing, Other Than Living The Same Day Forever.
Why??
Mar 7, 2022 10:04 PM

Feb 2021
short but sweet, this one was like an examination of an Akira like society, and pretty interesting too. The second one was so shit I have to give this whole thing a 4/10
Dec 11, 2022 3:16 AM

Jul 2014
The weakest of the three shorts, but still damn good despite being kinda underdeveloped on a narrative and thematic level. With that said, the visual world building's wonderfully detailed.
Take care of yourself

Mar 8, 2023 8:54 PM

Sep 2020
Just like the 2nd episode this one also didn't impress me. Another 4/10 episode.

Episode 1 was the best easily a 10/10 episode.
Apr 8, 2023 11:36 AM

Oct 2018
Took me a while to get used to the aesthetic, the thing that really surprised me is how EVERY SINGLE SHOT is connected with camera panning at the scale of characters to entire buildings, there isn't a single cut in the entire thing. The cannon loading scene is animated so meticulously that it's almost purely an animation flex and nothing more. As for the message, I don't think it needs to be this long. I assume that there isn't any enemy and they just are working in the cannon loading just to be part of the society, the child's drawing might have reminded the father of his own dream when he was a kid but he could only become a worker in the end, but hey, I'm just overthinking things.

Magnetic Rose - 8.5
Stink Bomb - 7.5
Cannon Fodder - 6

Etherius_ZSMay 1, 2023 1:02 AM
Jun 8, 2023 1:48 AM
Jun 2023
Memories was a great and entertaining watch! Magnetic Rose was probably my least favorite, but the themes presented were communicated really well. It also had great visual storytelling aside from the auditory. Stink Bomb was just silly through and through. Cannon Fodder was my favorite out of all of them though. The style, scene transitions, and animation all gave way to such an immersive world that you can understand just by looking at it. From another commentator on 9anime, it was supposedly a critique on the more militaristic and dictorial past of Japan. Though I think it is just critiquing it as a whole rather than just one country.
Jun 25, 2023 7:14 PM

Aug 2019
I really liked this one, it was mesmerizing to watch. Just another day in a totalitarian regime.
Dec 7, 2023 9:41 PM
Dec 2019
We have to think about what would make an artillery city possible. For such a thing to exist it presupposes the existence of a constant external threat. The generalized Other must be reduced to an inexhaustible enemy, the coordinates of an ever-changing hostile position, a target. Lets say this makes up the artillery part. What makes it a "city"? It is the identification of a common purpose, the demarcation of an interior and an exterior, us and them. It is no wonder that the protestors' signs spell 'stop' 'poison' and 'gas' with the two lightning bolt S's of Nazi Germany's Schutzstaffel (SS). How do you make a people kill your enemy? By making them absolutely sure that the enemy is a far more terrifying threat, that any suffering endured is only a fraction of what will come if we let them get to us. Punish disobedience and reward loyalty and you'll have subjects who aspire to commit atrocity and despise their own feelings of empathy. You'll only realize who your real enemy is once you have grown up, so better for them to keep your life short. No epiphany will arrive in time to those who are replaceable. This is what you are: Cannon Fodder.
Mar 19, 8:59 PM
Dec 2018

This episode reminded me a lot of the novel 1984. I did not like the drawing style, but it had some beautiful messages

Magnetic Rose 10 /10
Stink Bomb 9.5 /10
Cannon Fodder 7.5/10

Overall rating 9/10
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Memories: Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cantius - Jun 25, 2009

103 by Adnash »»
Apr 10, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Memories: Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Jonnieh - Apr 30, 2009

90 by Adnash »»
Apr 10, 12:49 AM

» Nazi Symbolism

animejnkie - Apr 9, 2009

4 by luckyducky9999 »»
Sep 29, 2023 5:30 AM

» help

Starlord09 - Mar 1, 2023

11 by GoCrayzee »»
Mar 4, 2023 8:59 AM

» Clarification

Starlord09 - Nov 29, 2022

1 by crdboard »»
Nov 29, 2022 11:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.