Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 26, 2009 5:07 PM
Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
cantiusNov 14, 2018 2:30 PM
Jul 25, 2009 10:39 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
liked the steampunk.

didn't get the ending. it that it? seemed like a weird place to end the movie imo.
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 14, 2009 6:31 PM

Jun 2008
I really enjoy it a lot. I gave it an 8/10. I would have scored it higher, but it seemed to end abruptly.
Dec 23, 2009 9:57 PM

Feb 2009
this kind of environment can't be possibly be healthy to live in. I wonder if they really shooting at anything, I mean everything involve in shooting canons maybe even after the war they still doing the same thing.
Jan 9, 2010 3:42 AM

Sep 2008
reminded me of deathnic 4 and steamboy at the same time :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 18, 2010 5:04 PM

Sep 2009
This episode had the best overall message out of the three I think. Probably my least favourite though in terms of enjoyment.
Jun 22, 2010 7:20 PM

Jan 2009
the first 2 are the most entertaining
Jul 8, 2010 5:26 AM

Feb 2009
This was AMAZING, every single episode is a masterpiece, very unique on their own, including this episode (the most thoughful one).

Imagine what would be like living in a society where everything revolves around warfare, so much that pretty much everything else was forgotten. Family and cultural values, recreation, nature, etc... everything became memories. The military and warlike industry are the only things left and your society "develops" according to this environment. People are born, live and die knowing and experiencing little else besides war.

I can only assume the "ending" was an attack by the enemy nation, fantastic ending, loved the music in the credits.

PS: You gotta check Neo Tokyo and Robot Carnival, same fashion, and Otomo is in them as well.
VeethornJul 29, 2010 9:30 AM
Jul 21, 2010 8:03 AM
Dec 2008
Veethorn said:

I can only assume the "ending" was an attack by the enemy nation, fantastic ending, loved the music in the credits.

Or maybe,the ending sirens and lights were merely a classy way to kick in the end credits and there was no enemy city to begin with.
Sep 11, 2010 9:29 PM

Sep 2008
SanderRX said:
Veethorn said:

Or maybe,the ending sirens and lights were merely a classy way to kick in the end credits and there was no enemy city to begin with.

thats how I saw it too
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 18, 2010 3:08 PM

Feb 2010
Once more amazing art here. Also very good message. And I really loved it that it was an one-take, that made it even more awesome (I probably wouldn't have realized it if not for Beatniks Review).
Good 3rd movie. My individual rating are something like 9/7/8 so my overall rating for Memories is 8/10. Great stuff.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 7, 2011 10:44 PM

Aug 2010
koreye said:
SanderRX said:
Veethorn said:

thats how I saw it too

Same, I imagine there is no enemy any more.
Mar 3, 2011 10:03 AM

May 2009
ios said:

I think so too :D and I don't liked the art style >_<
May 3, 2011 12:05 AM

Aug 2008
Yuriko_Sakai said:
ios said:

I think so too :D and I don't liked the art style >_<

I totally agree
*badass mode activated*
Mar 21, 2012 1:25 PM
May 2011
third episode was the best. 1984 as anime.
Apr 17, 2012 4:28 AM

Nov 2008
Underrated and the art style is the best according to the year it was made. Whatever, this is MAL.
May 17, 2012 2:15 AM

Nov 2011
The art direction was indeed excellent in this deceptively dark piece. Set in a seemingly totalitarian country, with citizens fighting an enemy that may or may not exist. Sounds familiar. Artistic and satirical, not exactly my cup of tea.

Overall, this was an excellent collection, despite my expectations of an overarching theme. Each piece is excellent as a standalone episode, and commendable in different ways.
May 17, 2012 4:11 PM

Apr 2012
This was probably my least favorite of the three episodes but it still was a good watch. I think there was an elegance in the simplicity of this episode. The art and animation were much different and looked much more childish which as you pointed out belied the darkness of the actual story here. It's a very simple concept but well executed.

The reason I thought this was a bit weaker than the other episodes is this didn't seem to have anyting unique to say about an otherwise familiar theme. I guess the simple art style itself could be a statement about the mind state of the citizens but even that isn't much of anything new.

Still a nice end to a nice set of OVAs. As I said before Magnetic Rose was my favorite of the three. A haunting, dark horror piece with an interesting sci-fi setting.

I actually caught this on TV a few years ago. They showed it all together as a single movie and it was one of the only times I was ever lucky enough to see subbed anime on television.
May 27, 2012 10:51 PM

Apr 2012
groundhog day slice of life in a steampunk 1984

"you'll understand when you're older" seemed to be the key words, bit anticlimactic though
Apr 6, 2013 9:04 AM

Dec 2007
This is my favourite episode. Loved the music for this one
May 15, 2013 9:20 PM

Feb 2010
Very disappointed on this episode. I loved the first two I thought this one would be the same. The art oh god haha they were all sooo ugly. My mom was watchig it with me and she said the art was so ugly and scared her. Lol. Poor mom. I got really bored in this one.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jul 6, 2013 3:53 PM

Jan 2010
I swear I could read into this all day if I tried hard enough. I actually liked the art, definitely the most creative of the three.
Jul 21, 2013 6:53 PM
Jul 2012
.................................... what in the hell is the story about? Skipped so many parts...
2/5
Nov 3, 2013 12:22 AM

Sep 2008
DarknessOfEmo said:
.................................... what in the hell is the story about? Skipped so many parts...
2/5

read beatnik's review on the main page
Mar 2, 2014 3:36 PM

Jul 2012
First one: 8/10
Second: 6/10
Last: 4/10
Mar 12, 2014 6:45 AM

Oct 2012
Very boring episode.

Magnetic Rose: 8/10
Stink Bomb: 7/10
Cannon Fodder: 5/10

Overall score: 7/10
Nov 29, 2014 12:08 PM

Feb 2014
I didn't really like this one.
fot me it was the lesser one in this anthology.
Mar 20, 2015 9:10 AM

Jul 2010
Magnetic Rose: 8/10
Stink Bomb: 6/10
Cannon Fodder: 8/10
Aug 24, 2015 6:01 PM

Feb 2013
Alien lights at the end?... felt like it was cut short. I was kind of figuring there was NO enemy. I didn't think this one was as good as the others.

Credits music is cool though.
Sep 28, 2015 6:01 AM

Jul 2014
"Magnetic Rose" made my expectations too high.
It didn't live up to my expectations ._.
Oct 15, 2015 6:51 PM

Nov 2009
I liked the eerie feeling of this one but I agree with the general consensus here that it ended too abruptly.
Don't really know what kind of conclusions to make, but "Memories" does leave you thinking a lot about it after each episode. I really enjoyed all three episodes.
Magnetic Rose: 9/10
Stink Bomb: 8/10
Cannon Fodder: 7/10
Overall: 8/10

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Dec 24, 2015 1:22 PM

Jan 2013
Is it just me or did nobody notice the fact that they were just shooting for the fun of it as there are no enemies at all when they pan to the outside of the walls. We literally only see a massive amount of holes around the city.
I feel like they're trying to keep the city under control by making them think there is a war.
Ofcourse I could be wrong here though, it's just how I saw it.

Anyhow, artstyle was pretty cool to look at.

Magnetic Rose 9/10
Stink Bomb 9/10
Cannon Fodder 8/10

9/10 for the series.
PrOxAntoDec 24, 2015 1:32 PM
Dec 30, 2015 3:55 PM

Sep 2014
Only Magnetic Rose was Good.
Feb 17, 2016 8:37 AM
Feb 2008
PrOxAnto said:

I feel like they're trying to keep the city under control by making them think there is a war.

There's undoubtedly an Orwellian feel to the episode.
Feb 17, 2016 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
bigeaze said:
PrOxAnto said:

There's undoubtedly an Orwellian feel to the episode.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought so :)
Apr 28, 2016 2:02 PM
Apr 2016
First of all, the majority of discussion here, speaking of the ending of the third episode, obviously didn't think about the sound the blue light made. It was the only sound that wasn't steam or old school modern war sounding. On top of that it was blue? Find something blue in the episode. There is nothing. In the episode it spoke of a moving enemy target which was nearly destroyed. However I doubt that. The government is too scared to tell the people they are fighting aliens using hovering spacecraft's. The blue light was an alien of some kind.

And no they don't shoot large explosives for fun... the whole city could be blown up if an accident occurred and they are using precious resources to do so
TyrelApr 28, 2016 8:51 PM
May 14, 2016 8:55 AM

Aug 2013
Not the strongest way to end this "movie", all in all I loved the first one 9/10 material, the 2nd one was also pretty great, but this segment didn't do much for me. I feel like buying this now, honestly this one of my new favorite anime films.
Oct 20, 2016 6:28 AM

Feb 2013
I feel that this last episode of Memories is at the same level as Magnetic Rose - albeit it's a very different genre and way of storytelling. I was rattling my brain to figure out what this graphic style was called and I think someone in this thread mentioned steampunk and I immediately went - ah, that's it! The way the film is shot in one long camera take really emphasizes the point that we're following an ordinary day from beginning to end and that every day is like this - it's continuous. It's also, in a way like reading a comic and it gives you time to study each "panel" in detail if you will.

Overall a great telling of a country thrown into eternal war - and what the consequences of this might be. The movie also takes more than a few critique stabs at the war industry and even tries to satirize it. The devotion of the people to the fearless leaders, portrayed heroically in paintings, are also satirized. Mostly in the way the movie depicts the general, who is transported on his own little platform to fire the cannon - meanwhile a mix of bombastic pomp and circus music is played to show the futility and ridiculousness of it all.

Others here have tried to come up with their own interpretation of the ending and I think that is the point - the ending is open to interpretation. I do like the UFO interpretation but also the fact that the boy just sleeps through another night of bombing raids is a point in itself..

Great short movie.
Dec 31, 2016 8:57 PM

Feb 2016
I love the contrast between the brainwashed child and the father. The poor father slaves away only for his family (has picture in locker, looks at what his child draws) and the kid actively doesn't have any interest in the old man's job.

While the scrawny old man has to suffer discrimination in his workplace and submit to an overweight pompous incompetant who does nothing in the labourious effort to fire the cannon but gets to push the little button at the end, the kid wants to be exactly like the shooter in the portrait who sits high on his little platform away from the poisonous gunpowder smoke.

In fact the father has one of the most dangerous jobs by steadying the missile but being 'communism' he gets punished because the crane dropped the missile and knocked the poor bloke four metres onto the concrete ground.

The mother and her fellow female coworkers also like to gossip in a dystopian steampunk world, much like the Proles in 1984. Despite the mother ending up as the ideal female worker, all her actions are in fact trying to help her child get a leg up by working within the system.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 5, 2017 2:08 PM

Nov 2012
After reading other people's interpretations. I guess the ending kind of makes sense. But, it does feel like it ended abruptly for this episode. I thought that this one would have more of a meaning to it. Other than obviously shooting on World War One and how people on both sides had no choice in the matter.
Mar 23, 2017 10:47 PM

Apr 2014
This ep blowed my mind, espaecially the symbolism
overall gonna give memories a 8/10
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jun 11, 2017 8:07 AM

Apr 2014
Enjoyed every bit of it.
All three movies were astonishingly directed. Every movie had it's own unique atmosphere and taste.
Sep 15, 2017 6:05 AM

Sep 2016
absolute insanity. this was really disturbing for some reason, more than the other two.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Oct 8, 2017 1:00 PM

May 2016
Wasn't really my cup of tea but damn that giant cannon was awesome. Kid took the words right out of my mouth the first time I saw the thing when he said that he wanted to be the one who fires it some day.

Looking at everywhere else, it's most likely that they're just firing into nothing. The enemy nation could be an excuse to make the country move forward with one goal in mind because it's the only way they knew how. The drill siren is just another one of their illusions I guess. I liked the other ones more though~

Dec 7, 2017 2:21 PM

Oct 2015
Weird and confusing. All I got from were these weird looking characters who were firing that huge canon god knows where and to whom.

All I can say creepy characters with creepy plot, but I loved it anyways.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 20, 2018 11:05 AM
Jan 2010
Boring as fuck and unpleasing art style. This whole series was style over substance but at least the first movie wasn't retarded like the second or boring like this one. Still nothing special.
Jan 26, 2018 6:45 PM

Jan 2017
The self destruction, which is being attached to memories.

part1 8/10
part2 9/10
part3 9/10
Contemporary0091Jan 26, 2018 7:32 PM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Nov 4, 2018 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
My favorite episode. Really like the art style and setting.
Nov 7, 2018 1:07 AM

Jul 2009
The most cryptic of the three episodes since there is barely any dialogue, but that's actually a good thing since the audience can interpret the events in their own way. I consider this episode a satire of societies who thrive on nothing but war.
Dec 26, 2018 5:53 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode. Not quite as great as the first episode but miles better than the second. Simple but effective and makes strong use of subtlety.

I didn't feel the ending was abrupt as I feel the director was trying to create a feeling of "just another day" and I feel that added to the atmosphere. There is no end, time just goes on. A small snippet of a large picture.

Magnetic Rose: 10/10
Stink Bomb: 3/10
Cannon Fodder: 8/10

Overall rating: 7.5/10
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Memories: Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cantius - Jun 25, 2009

103 by Adnash »»
Apr 10, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Memories: Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Jonnieh - Apr 30, 2009

90 by Adnash »»
Apr 10, 12:49 AM

» Nazi Symbolism

animejnkie - Apr 9, 2009

4 by luckyducky9999 »»
Sep 29, 2023 5:30 AM

» help

Starlord09 - Mar 1, 2023

11 by GoCrayzee »»
Mar 4, 2023 8:59 AM

» Clarification

Starlord09 - Nov 29, 2022

1 by crdboard »»
Nov 29, 2022 11:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.