Forum Settings
Forums

New Original TV Anime 'Aldnoah Zero' Announced [Update 3/22]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Apr 16, 2014 9:24 PM
Oct 2010
GuiltyKing said:

I like to believe that Gargantia was an exception and one of Urobuchi's weaker works. Being optimistic and all that jazz.

Except it wasn't really his work.. he did like two eps iirc.

Soren333 said:
http://i.imgur.com/j1fv14f.jpg

Too bad I don't enjoy mecha. But I'll probably give this a shot.

This picture is funny because they put two meh works by both sawano and uro while leaving off sawano's best work (Gundam Unicorn) and putting on his weakest (KLK) and putting PP instead of Phantom.
GD1551Apr 16, 2014 9:28 PM
Apr 17, 2014 3:50 AM
May 2012
I'm not sure how am I gonna handle my emotional feelings over this Urobutcher-type anime despite the fact that I've been taking it so seriously. Talk about how this will go impact on me.

Sigh... people wanna see my bitching & moaning post again during it's aired which I don't even like it (There's so many asses that I'm gonna face in this MAL forum).
Apr 17, 2014 2:57 PM

Sep 2010
Can you say AOTY?
Apr 17, 2014 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
A-1, huh..
welp. I'll give it a try anyway for Urobuchi, Aoki, Nitroplus and some mechas.
Apr 18, 2014 5:12 AM
May 2012
Frenchbulldog said:
Can you say AOTY?

Too early to judge....
Apr 27, 2014 9:49 PM

Oct 2007
Nidhoeggr said:
GuiltyKing said:
Soren333 said:
http://i.imgur.com/j1fv14f.jpg

Too bad I don't enjoy mecha. But I'll probably give this a shot.

That's actually the only thing I dislike about this original anime- the mecha element. The last Urobuchi show involved mechas already and it wasn't *that* good (Gargantia btw). While being visually impressive and having a coherent story, the whole thing didn't live up to Urobuchi's name.
I prefer his other works, like Madoka and F/Z. Anime who don't have any mecha whatsoever and still manage to blow me away.

But oh well, I nonetheless look forward to watching this. Just because it's Urobuchi.

The butcher is overrated in general right now, but I feel Gargantia could have worked way better if it just got rid of the ENTIRE scifi subplot and focussed on being a simple story about integration, overcoming barriers, etc.

I think the fact that so many people will watch any show just because he's writing it, not even caring about anything else, what it's about, what genre it is and what it tries to do is a pretty good indicator that he is if not overrated at least overvalued these days. The guys almost crossed over into the realm of meaninglessness as a writer these days and become more of a concept. It's going to end up hand tying him because now he has to live up to certain expectations and it's only going to make him weaker as a writer as time goes on. A shame because he had a lot of potential but now basically just looks like another name for Aniplex to use to bait people into watching their usually crappy shows. Really not looking forward to a sudden influx of "mecha experts" into the community who have never seen more than Evangelion, Macross Frontier and Code Geass in their life but who are going to have no idea what they are talking about, but act like they've seen it all anyway and claim every idea the show has is totally original or a subversion of whatever just cause Urobuchi is the writer and even when it's not.

TL;DR: If Gen Urobuchi weren't writing this show nobody would give a flying fuck about it and everyone damn well knows it. And no that's not a good thing.
PeacingOutApr 27, 2014 9:54 PM
Apr 27, 2014 9:54 PM

Mar 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the fact that so many people will watch any show just because he's writing it, not even caring about anything else, what it's about, what genre it is and what it tries to do is a pretty good indicator that he is if not overrated at least overvalued these days. The guys almost crossed over into the realm of meaninglessness as a writer these days and become more of a concept. It's going to end up hand tying him because now he has to live up to certain expectations and it's only going to make him weaker as a writer as time goes on. A shame because he had a lot of potential but now basically just looks like another name for Aniplex to use to bait people into watching their usually crappy shows.

TL;DR: If Gen Urobuchi weren't writing this show nobody would give a flying fuck about it and everyone damn well knows it. And no that's not a good thing.

True enough, but the thing is that of his recent works, there hasn't been one I've seen that I didn't find interesting. Even Gargantia which had minimal input from him, was worth the watch (in my opinion).
So while I would've given the show a shot regardless of writer, (as I'm a sucker for mecha), that doesn't mean his name doesn't bring with it a level of worth. He may be overvalued, but he writes things people like, and if it's going to bring in money for mecha, all the better. Having people bandwagon over particular artists/studios isn't really a new thing, so there's not much that can be done about it. At least his stuff is more worthwhile than

Also, people who like Urobuchi should watch Kamen Rider Gaim. Seriously.
CkanApr 27, 2014 9:58 PM
Apr 27, 2014 10:13 PM

Oct 2007
Ckan said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I think the fact that so many people will watch any show just because he's writing it, not even caring about anything else, what it's about, what genre it is and what it tries to do is a pretty good indicator that he is if not overrated at least overvalued these days. The guys almost crossed over into the realm of meaninglessness as a writer these days and become more of a concept. It's going to end up hand tying him because now he has to live up to certain expectations and it's only going to make him weaker as a writer as time goes on. A shame because he had a lot of potential but now basically just looks like another name for Aniplex to use to bait people into watching their usually crappy shows.

True enough, but the thing is that of his recent works, there hasn't been one I've seen that I didn't find interesting. Even Gargantia which had minimal input from him, was worth the watch (in my opinion).
So while I would've given the show a shot regardless of writer, (as I'm a sucker for mecha), that doesn't mean his name doesn't bring with it a level of worth. He may be overvalued, but he writes things people like, and if it's going to bring in money for mecha, all the better. Having people bandwagon over particular artists/studios isn't really a new thing, so there's not much that can be done about it. At least his stuff is more worthwhile than

Also, people who like Urobuchi should watch Kamen Rider Gaim. Seriously.

I'll be watching cause it's mecha too, but as far as promotion has gone for me at least they managed to do it all wrong and it's going to have to overcome a lot of barriers. Saying it's supposed to surpass Gundam, even if I find that laughably that creates an extremely high expectation for me since Gundam is my favorite franchise. I can try to disregard that "interesting" bit of advertising that has become oh so typical of Aniplex (are they trying to sell me on the show or stroke their own egos? Honest question), but it'll be really hard now cause of that. It also as I've mentioned doesn't help that they just seem to be falling back on their habit of throwing directors and writers from series that have done well for them into the mix as opposed to ones that are experienced in the genre.

The result is that my expectations for this show are totally messed up now and I will openly admit it's almost going to be hard for me to give this show a fair chance. I hate that Aniplex can't allow me to just go into any of their shows anymore and just try to enjoy them with my own expectations and let the show speak for itself but instead have to advertise in this way with this huge promises and lavish announcements of their favorite names. It's just so commercial and it sucks the fun out of anime when the approach to it is so transparently corporate minded. Like Goddammit Aniplex....

Incidentally I think the question is worth asking, does he actually write things people like or do people like things cause he writes them? I think at one point it was definitely the former, but I kind of see it as the latter in recent years.
PeacingOutApr 27, 2014 10:17 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
54 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 4 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
4 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.