Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 21, 2009 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
Great episode. I was sad that they cut some stuff out, but I kind of figured they'd have to, and everything ended up coming together really nicely. Love that they showed Hoho leaving, and all Izumi's scenes were great. They got the Briggs reference in there, hope this means we'll hear about it again later. ;)
Can't wait for Greed and Co. next week, we're getting into manga-only stuff now! 8DD

FullMetalBoy said:
Does anyone think next episode's gonna have the new themes? If I'm not mistaken Greed isn't included in the current OP and right after the whole Greed thing they introduce Lin and Mei, who aren't in the OP.

Actually, Greed is in the current OP. I imagine we will be getting a new OP sometime relatively soon, though, with the Xingians (Xingese?) coming into the picture in a few eps.
mageletJun 21, 2009 6:34 PM
Jun 21, 2009 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
First half of episode = EPIC EPIC WIN
Island flash back = ....Meh

I didn't like the flash back much, mostly due to the removal of Mason. But still an okay episode, I guess. First part with Hohenheim, the dream, and the flashback of Hohenheim leaving, was GOOD. Very nicely played. Hug scene was good, too.
Jun 21, 2009 6:52 PM

Jul 2008
Ya the first half i couldnt stop laughing
and the island i give it a pass
another week's wait XD
Jun 21, 2009 7:23 PM

Oct 2007
The hug scene was really nicely done. Greed next episode :D

Jun 21, 2009 7:39 PM

May 2008
well i guess that was pretty interesting weeeeee cant wait for greed

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jun 21, 2009 7:58 PM

Apr 2009
That hugging scene at the end never fails to make me cry.

Awesome episode. Although, I have to agree with a lot of the posts here: Izumi's voice was just uggggh. O_o

I can't wait for the next ep. Yay Greed! And did I just see Roy smile there? lol XD

Jun 21, 2009 8:05 PM

Apr 2009
Good episode overall! I still like that things aren't as stretched-out as they are in the first series, and the island thing is no exception. Definitely teared up during the hugging scene. :'(
Jun 21, 2009 8:08 PM

May 2008
Izumi's voice sounded off...

But I did love this episode. I actually started to cry when she hugged Ed and Al, telling them to not force themselves. :')

Can't wait for next week's episode. Greed. <3

Jun 21, 2009 8:13 PM

Jan 2008
Good episode. Izumi was pretty hilarious.

Greed is next!
Jun 21, 2009 8:22 PM

Apr 2007
I SEE GREED IN THE PREVIEW. I seriously can't wait for the next episode. Greed <333
Hopefully his new voice fits well like the other changes so far. Otherwise I'll be complaining.
Jun 21, 2009 8:39 PM

Jul 2008
Great episode, i love how they made Izumi coughing up blood comical. I cant wait till next week!!

I've only seen the original show, not the manga, is wrath in this version of the show at all?
Jun 21, 2009 8:52 PM

Jun 2007
I agree, this was better condensed. I found this part in FMA1 kind of long and drawn out. Overall though the episode was pretty crappy.
Jun 21, 2009 8:54 PM
May 2008
As someone else stated I loved how the creators mixed comedy with drama and fluidly. The island scene was great and I really liked Ed and Al figuring out the meaning to Izumi's philosophy of " All is one, and one is all". Best change IMO was the comedic take on Izumi coughing blood... and the "hug scene" was really well done. Overall another great episode and FMA S2 has yet to disappoint me... can't wait for Greed.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 21, 2009 9:07 PM

Apr 2009
DesuMan said:
I've only seen the original show, not the manga, is wrath in this version of the show at all?

There is a Wrath in this version, but he is not at all the same person as he was in FMA1. Ditto Sloth, ditto Pride.
Jun 21, 2009 9:49 PM
Mar 2009
It's funny how Izumi always bleeds like it's nothing and everyones like WTF?!?! lol
Ed's flashbacks r beginning to hurt him mentally...
Did that one guy who worked at the butcher shop never appear on the island???
just lol and great ep

The Xingese STILL dont appear???

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Jun 21, 2009 10:18 PM

Aug 2008
I really liked this episode. Some of the gags were extra funny and well done this time around, and I think how the island stuff and the realization was really good too.

This may have been the first or the second time that I noticed the music during this episode. The piece that was played while Ed and Al were getting the hang of things was very Danny Elfman in "The Nightmare Before Chrismas" and jarringly inappropriate.

Also, I found the coda of "alchemy is like the food chain" at the end to be extraneous, redundant and killing the perfect mood of the scene before it (would have been a much better way to end).
Jun 21, 2009 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
Izumi pretty much made this episode. She was pretty humorous this time around in her habit of throwing up blood, and the ending scene with her and the two brothers was very touching. Good start, good finish, but the middle could have been done a little better I think.
kkmaster1337 said:
Did that one guy who worked at the butcher shop never appear on the island???
I was wondering this through most of the episode as well. Really felt like this episode was somewhat rushed because of his absence. In any case, it looks like the next episode is going to be action packed. The battle with Greed is going to be sweet!
Jun 22, 2009 12:24 AM
Jul 2008
This episode went a lot faster than the original season did, but I liked how the first season was in more detailed about the survival exercise and how the Izumi was much more harsh with their punishment from committing taboo than this one.

Woot Greed in the next episode
Jun 22, 2009 1:38 AM

Apr 2009
Nice episode~

Island survival was pretty short ..
otherwise this was good! Funny + emotional;

(Y)
Jun 22, 2009 1:41 AM

Oct 2008
FullMetalBoy said:
The single one part about the flashbacks I didn't like was that they dropped the stubborn face Ed and Al had that made Izumi to take them as her students. This face comes back later and I think it shows so much about the Elrics personality that it's just too much to drop. I would scan the page from the manga if I had a scanner.

I was thinking the same thing!!! I know it's a minor detail, but I felt cheated a little.

noteDhero said:
Also, I found the coda of "alchemy is like the food chain" at the end to be extraneous, redundant and killing the perfect mood of the scene before it (would have been a much better way to end).

QFT, killed the mood.

Also, WHERE WAS MASON D:

Still, this episode was decent enough. As everyone's been saying, the hugging scene was great. But ... !
~ empirexstate [turn, hellhound, turn!]
Jun 22, 2009 2:09 AM

Jan 2009
wow i loved the episode it was great :D <3 i feel sorry for there teacher whene she did the same as al and ed whene they lost there mother and that stubed hornheim i hate him -.-
Edward Elric <3 Lavi <3 Fai. D Flourite <3 Shizu-Chan <3 Sause Uchiha ! <33
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=11018 - FMAB fan club. for thoses who wants to join ^^

Jun 22, 2009 5:34 AM

Apr 2008
great ep! one of my favourites so far
Jun 22, 2009 6:37 AM

Jul 2007
Looks like im the only one that didnt really like this or the last episodes as much as the previous, but all good things are coming :)

As for the thought of a new OP, i hope not, the current is my favorite OP ever!
Jun 22, 2009 7:44 AM

Jun 2007
vindemon64 said:

Paradox055 said:
No silly Wrath nonsense (and I hope that will stay that way)

Wrath being Izumi's child was anime-only content in the first season, so rest assured, that sub plot will not appear in Brotherhood.

Not knowing all these stuff makes me want to go read the manga right now.

Episode was good, from my point of view it didn't seem that rushed but yeah the 'circle of life' scene at the end was out of place.
Jun 22, 2009 8:06 AM

Jul 2007
Frenz said:

As for the thought of a new OP, i hope not, the current is my favorite OP ever!

From episode 14 we will have new op and new ed:
OP2: "Hologram" by NICO Touches the Walls
ED2: "Let it out" by Miho Fukuhara
Jun 22, 2009 8:40 AM

Jan 2008
Very well done episode.

Also, can't wait to see how the new OP and ED are going to be like!
Jun 22, 2009 8:42 AM

Nov 2007
I'm quite pleased with this episode. While it covers a lot of the material from the manga, the important scenes were there, and it all just felt right. Usually, I don't like episodes like this that condense a lot of the original material, but this one just worked well. It's the great mix of drama and comedy I was hoping to see.

And next week, Greed makes his appearance. Looking forward to that.
Jun 22, 2009 9:15 AM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:

See, I really liked that they added that on. I know it didn't quite flow from the previous scene, but it was still a nice way to end the episode, I thought.

hanabiii said:
Not knowing all these stuff makes me want to go read the manga right now.

Do it! It's so good. :3
Jun 22, 2009 1:06 PM

Jul 2008
teacher and pupil made both the same mistake ><
its always good to find someone who truely understands one. that hug was really touching.

Jun 22, 2009 1:27 PM

Dec 2008
magelet said:
noteDhero said:

See, I really liked that they added that on. I know it didn't quite flow from the previous scene, but it was still a nice way to end the episode, I thought.

Actually, I rather agree with noteDhero. I was sorta sitting in my seat, scratching my head, and wondering, "I thought we finished with the island already..?" And they didn't really do/say anything that hadn't been covered before in the episode, so to me, this was the episode's only major weakness.

Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode~ Very funny gags, well done dramatic moments, solid animation and sound - there's not much more I can ask for.

Also, I really feel that the characters in FMA2 are more likeable than in FMA1. I'm not entirely sure why (probably because I haven't watched FMA1 in over two years), but Winry and Izumi were never able to win me over, but in FMA2, I love them a whole lot more in these last two episodes than I ever did in the entire FMA1 series.
Jun 22, 2009 2:34 PM

Feb 2009
This show is very innovative, able to mix drama with comedy and action very well. The episode was good, good character development and how they are not the only ones who have not commited the taboo! Relevant way of putting in why they commited the taboo and good explanation for Izumi's ilness. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jun 22, 2009 3:12 PM
Dec 2007
Well, it was one of my least favourite parts of the first series, and it still is. Not really appealing to me, I don't like Izumi nor the flashbacks, and I find this episode extremely mushy and mostly uninteresting. And predictable.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 22, 2009 4:55 PM

Dec 2007
The childhood flashback with Hohenheim was exactly what I was hoping to see, I am glad to finally get some insight into when and how Hohenheim left them.

Great episode all-around, and especially perfect background music this episode.
Jun 22, 2009 6:03 PM

Dec 2008
Deadpool135 said:
The childhood flashback with Hohenheim was exactly what I was hoping to see, I am glad to finally get some insight into when and how Hohenheim left them.
I agree! If I remember correctly from FMA1, they didn't have anything of the past of Hohenheim and just randomly popped him up at the end of the series. So I'm definitely appreciating how he's introduced to us so early in the series :)
Jun 22, 2009 10:06 PM

Oct 2007
Good episode. Wondering why that apeman wasn't in this one when he was supposed to.

Oh well, as long as this episode speeds up to where it shoudl go, it's all fine with me.
Jun 22, 2009 11:27 PM

May 2007
The pacing of the episode was great. We also get fucking Greed next week! So how far a long is the manga anyway? Just kinda curious because of the number of episodes.
Jun 23, 2009 12:08 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
it was an alright episode. glad to see new things that are noticeably different from the first FMA.

Next episode looks exciting!
p r o f i l e 👀
Jun 23, 2009 1:53 AM

Oct 2007
finally Greed next episode :D
Jun 23, 2009 2:59 AM

Apr 2009
Omfg, Izumi coughing blood was Made Of Win.
Ahaha, but hungry!Ed seeding things was even better xDD

Bdiah said:
Pacing was amazing. Despite the fact that it covered more than the first series, I couldn't believe a full episode had transpired.

Exactly o.o I just watched it and I'm like o___O Huh? Already?

The scene with hearts hitting Edward's head was HILARIOUS.

...and a Tear Jerker at the end Dx I feel sorry for Izumi and her husband :(
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 23, 2009 3:50 AM

Apr 2008
This series sure is moving fast o_o ...

Jun 23, 2009 5:33 AM

Jul 2007
orangehouse said:
This series sure is moving fast o_o ...

No they are not.

Barely ~20(out of 100/110) chapters into the manga.
Jun 23, 2009 6:29 AM

May 2007
It was good, although they left out some parts, they kept all the important ones.
Yay for no stupid Wrath nonsense. And LOL @ the eyecatches. XD

Jun 23, 2009 4:07 PM

May 2009
Nicely paced episode with a lot of content. Also, there were some great scenes eg- the scene where an apple rolls down to their mother. I don't like the blood spurting scenes but they are inevitable unfortunately. Next up is greed who didn't look that great in the preview.

Jun 23, 2009 11:57 PM

Mar 2009
Hell yea, i'm starting to like this series more and more after each episode.

It's not that much different from original series but somehow i'm enjoying this a lot more

Jun 24, 2009 12:34 PM

Mar 2009
Wow, I don't know if I've ever cried that hard from anime!!! Izumi and Sig are so much better, the "truth" scenes were magical, T__T!! I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks FMA 1 is better than this is insane. They've taken FMA to another level, when no one thought that possible. Don't get me wrong, I love FMA 1, it is and always will be one of my favs. But, the emotion, humor, action, intensity, etc. is making this turn out to be one of the best series I've ever seen, and I would have never thought a remake would be so good. And, now we get to see the glorious manga-exclusive story animated, beginnig with the entrance of Greed, Woot!! Urahara Out!!
Sent with Mal Updater
Jun 24, 2009 7:57 PM

Apr 2008
I loved this ep : ) I actually cried when Izumi told them that they don't have to force themselves T__T !!
I barely remembered this from the 1st season..
The episodes go by really fast though. I dont really mind the pacing overall, as long as they don't skip over anything.
Jun 24, 2009 8:05 PM

Jan 2008
I just love this show. It has everything you need to feel in watching...and I love this ep. I was laughing since from the start and when I reached near the end, I was in teary mood. Ed and Al were so adorable when they were young. cute. ^^
Jun 24, 2009 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
Aeterna said:

Actually, I rather agree with noteDhero. I was sorta sitting in my seat, scratching my head, and wondering, "I thought we finished with the island already..?" And they didn't really do/say anything that hadn't been covered before in the episode, so to me, this was the episode's only major weakness.

I liked the ending, even though it didn't flow with the previous scene. First, I don't think the episode should in a sad moment, that is not what the episode is about. Second I like the chopping up of the flashback to help structure the episode, it's a good technique (like the pizza episode in Scrubs). And lastly, I think that the point of the flashback at the end was to show what both Izumi and the Elric brothers have forgotten, and why they should have never tried to mess with the cycle. It was made poorly, but at east it was made.

And if the animators have the balls to remove stuff from the manga and the skills to do it well like they did here, then I have complete faith that they won't screw up the animation from now on. Sure I can disagree with them on the choices they made, but overall I feel that they have both the ability and the motivation to do the series justice.
Jun 25, 2009 1:31 PM

May 2009
I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind Izumi's voice. This was a really good episode.
Jun 25, 2009 11:01 PM

Jan 2009
Kinda dissapointed in this ep. Missed the mysterious fighter on the island and Izumi seemed too understanding of Ed and Al's condition. I was expecting her to beat the crap out of them once she found out that they had broken taboo.

But it's all justified in the name of pacing. We're starting to tread into new territory and I'm grateful for that.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

964 by hanakocheeks »»
Apr 9, 8:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.