Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cardcaptor Sakura Collector’s Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2009 8:13 AM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pissed off Meilin makes me smile
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2009 7:07 PM

Jun 2009
lol you're not the only one.

i never really like Meilin until the end of this series...and even then, I didn't like her that much...
Jul 25, 2009 1:46 AM

Dec 2008
syaoran was like that when he first appeared, only a little less hateful and competitive.
she'll come around... right?
Mar 1, 2010 3:49 AM
Feb 2010
She's funny. But creepy too.
Mar 10, 2010 1:11 PM

Oct 2009
Aww, poor Syaoran and Sakura
Oct 26, 2010 2:17 PM
Jul 2010
enkil said:
syaoran was like that when he first appeared, only a little less hateful and competitive.

Nope, I loved Syoran from the very first time he appeared. If I remember well from when I first watched this (I was 7 or 8 years old) I never really liked Meilin.

The Fight card has got one of my favorite designs along with the Watery card.
hontobakaOct 26, 2010 2:29 PM
Oct 12, 2011 6:04 PM

Jun 2009
I liked this ep.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 14, 2012 11:24 PM

Jul 2011
Dusk252 said:
enkil said:

Nope, I loved Syoran from the very first time he appeared. If I remember well from when I first watched this (I was 7 or 8 years old) I never really liked Meilin.

omg me too!! i remember when i first watch this i was like 9 or 10.. and Mei Lin leave a bad taste in my childhood memory, she is one character that keeps getting more and more annoying til' the end, Syaoran was annoying at first but he gets more and more adorable in each epsiode
Mar 8, 2013 6:25 PM

Jul 2008
Meilin needs to be slapped...though I don't condone such acts on kids, an exception can be made here. Man up LI!
May 30, 2013 11:32 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I don't really see Meilin as all that annoying.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 22, 2013 6:09 AM

Nov 2011
Daidouji Tomoyo said:
It seems that our relationships chart has gotten more complicated.

LOL
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 8, 2013 9:59 PM

Apr 2008
The fight scene between Meilin and the fight card was pretty awesome. It was nice seeing a fight, instead of them getting the card so easily.
Mar 14, 2014 3:30 PM

Mar 2014
Finally some action after the last few filler-ish episodes. The introduction of Meilin sure stirred things up even if her character is written to be completely unlikable, which is sort of a shame.
Mar 18, 2014 2:09 AM

Feb 2014
interesting character, but it feels like she was written to be as grating as possible, which is a shame, since sakura was friendly to her at least once. i'd rather they be friends than this weird rivalry stuff. only upside is that it seems to be softening li's character, but they don't need to sacrifice a female character to do so. : /
Mar 18, 2014 2:56 AM

Mar 2014
On the other hand, almost all the rest of the female cast (heck, 99% of the characters on the show except Li, and maybe Tomoyo's mom) are all super ridiculously nice, so it's a refreshing contrast to have someone who's not all sunshine and rainbows. That said, they could have done a better job with Meilin regardless. Sakura already has a rival in Li, so Meilin is sort of redundant in that role anyway. I'd have loved to see her as the sassy "tell it like it is" sort of friend that I feel the show is desperately lacking. Perhaps something akin to the way Rei acts as a foil to Usagi in Sailor Moon.
Mar 20, 2014 12:35 AM

Feb 2014
XOTIK said:
On the other hand, almost all the rest of the female cast (heck, 99% of the characters on the show except Li, and maybe Tomoyo's mom) are all super ridiculously nice, so it's a refreshing contrast to have someone who's not all sunshine and rainbows. That said, they could have done a better job with Meilin regardless. Sakura already has a rival in Li, so Meilin is sort of redundant in that role anyway. I'd have loved to see her as the sassy "tell it like it is" sort of friend that I feel the show is desperately lacking. Perhaps something akin to the way Rei acts as a foil to Usagi in Sailor Moon.

true!! i guess, like you said, there isn't really any need for her to be sakura's rival, since li already fills that role. and there isn't really anything for her and sakura to be rivals over -- meilin hasn't shown any powers or usefulness in capturing cards, and though she clearly wants to be sakura's rival in love, li's got that covered as well. since she is, apparently, a filler character, i'm hoping that at least her relationship to sakura will change in later episodes. "girl fighting another girl over a guy" is SUCH a tired trope.
May 20, 2014 1:39 PM
Nov 2013
Nice clothes Kero-chan!

Seems the relationship between Sakura, Tomoyo and Li has gotten complicated.
Aug 26, 2014 2:15 PM

Aug 2014
I was waiting for a episode with more action than the previous ones, this episode was really amazing! Meilin is so cute
detoxjuicySep 12, 2014 2:13 PM
Jan 23, 2015 11:42 AM

Feb 2008
No mahou shoujo is complete without incest. Oh wait...

Chinese girl will be quite a chore in the future episode, I hope she gets less screentime. The action part was pretty good though.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 2, 2015 12:19 PM

Jul 2012
hontobaka said:

indeed, she looked pretty cool :3

the episode itself was fine, Meilin was annoying the hell out of me but the fight was nice to see. But, godamn, Sakura just being there 'oh no, what do I do, what do I do!' for so long made me start screaming at my screen for her to DO SOMETHING idk what but Something...
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Jan 2, 2016 10:12 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Li got rekt by the Fight card. Meilin got 1 or 2 good hits on the Fight card but it was still too strong for her. Lol at Sakura using the Power card. Direct hit to the neck.

A bit annoyed with Sakura this episode. At this point she should be handling business with ease. Instead we see her ask what to do.

Jul 6, 2016 12:46 AM
May 2014
Meilin is annoying as hell, I hope she gets better as it goes on.

Nice to see Li get rekt as well, I always get a kick out of seeing bad shit happen to him :D
Feb 9, 2017 5:08 PM
Jan 2017
A. I Think Kero is really having a hard time adjusting to his new tiny body, he's always making threats with might he doesn't have. Gives me the feeling he once really was a force to be reckoned with
B. After a day long break from this show I nearly forgot just how cute it was.
C. Meilin was ok, she was a bit one note but there's alot we still don't know about her so I'll give it a bit beofre I cast judgement.
Henshin!
Feb 14, 2017 9:09 AM

Dec 2014
This episode was amazing! None of the other episodes even came close to being this good. This had best girl Meiling with her amazing Ojou-sama laugh, tied for best outfit with the cat one from early on, and the best Clow Card. The Clow Card this episode was the first one that didn't feel rushed when getting captured. Still the occasional animation error but I'll forgive them since everything else was so good. I'm sorta sad that this episode was so good because now it sets my expectations so high for the next one.
May 23, 2017 1:01 AM

Feb 2014
I don't find Meiling annoying at all. She might be a bit too competitive, but it's more on the endearing side for me, because, so far from what we've seen, she basically isn't a bad person. She just gets a little too worked up when it comes to Syaoran.
And any character with an ojou-sama laugh is fine in my books.

Also, I actually agree with Meiling this time. The card should have gone to Syaoran. He did most of the leg work of finding the card and revealing its location. All Sakura did was stumble over it and fall down, and strike it with the sword ALONG WITH Syaoran. So the card should have chosen him.
Jun 24, 2017 1:02 AM

Aug 2007
I like Meilin in the sense it helps soften Shaoran up. Sakura feels bad for him and he's more worried about Meilin embarrassing him than sending all his hate to Sakura aha.
LycanJun 24, 2017 1:45 AM

Aug 13, 2017 11:32 PM

Jul 2011
I thought Meilin is a bit irritating, but they are kids! So I will let it slide!
Aug 19, 2017 10:34 PM

Nov 2011
I love how Meilin is getting kicked in the face and stuff and Tomoyo's just filming the whole thing. I mean that's what Tomoyo's always doing...but it was still great.
Sep 27, 2017 8:56 PM

Dec 2016
Meilin, a cousin, and fiance lol.

that was some reaction she gave Sakura after the contest.

Ah so it was the fight card around around and causing trouble, I thought it Meilin doing all that.

The good old close your close and hope for a miracle technique, I suppose it's alright to win by luck every now and then.

That card will be a big help for Sakura, she should now be able to fight even better when using it.
Nov 28, 2017 11:40 AM

Nov 2011
These fill episodes begin to be a bit tiring, but thanks to MaiLing, Sakura and Li, narrative is fun.
Jan 14, 2018 6:38 PM

May 2013
Cardcaptor Sakura had been amazing up until this episode, but I'm not so sure anymore. If this Chinese brat Meilin keeps being as obnoxious as she is now, it would almost ruin the whole series for me. I hope she won't get that much screentime at least.
Not changing this signature until P.A. Works announces 2nd season of Shirobako.
May 4, 2018 6:49 AM

Sep 2017
Too many UEEE's from Sakura. Meilin reminds me of Syaoran when he was first introduced, and a certain character from Fruits Basket.

I figured out that Sakura needed to use the POWER card when FIGHT was introduced. Tomoyo got it when she said relationship chart was off.

Quite a funny episode. Hope we get some Syaoran and Sakura material.

When Sakura and Tomoyo were dumped out of Syaoran's room by Meilin, the moment was meme worthy. And LOL Syaoran's fiancee to the classroom. Syaoran has got manly indeed.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jan 31, 2019 4:51 AM

May 2016
Mei Lin's flexing her martial artist fitness but Sakura returned the flex and even surpassed her while she's at it.

I thought that the girl in the weird clothes beating up men in the middle of the night was Mei Lin but it turned out to be the Fight Card all along. Her technique was no match for the Power Card's superior strength, adding another card to her collection.

Dec 15, 2019 12:20 PM
Sep 2007
That new chinese girl is ridiculously possesive over a relative. Poor Syaoran...
Apr 21, 2020 2:34 PM

Aug 2017
I loved the action in this episode after a lot of mellow and meaningful ones. Sakura can add the Fight Card to her collection and Mei-Lin turned out to be as annoying possessive as I expected her to be. Although I find her angry face pretty hilarious xD Poor Li though. I hope it will eventually create a bond between him and Sakura!
Jun 15, 2020 3:59 PM

May 2019
A new character adds to the long list of strange love relationships in this anime.

And like Tomoyo, she is in love with her cousin, the difference is that Meilin is heterosexual, aggressive and possessive.

On the other hand, they present us an interesting card, one that makes me think that in order to fight, you can combine the Power and Fight cards.
Jun 28, 2020 10:11 PM
Jun 2020
I was annoyed with Meilin only cause she was tripping on Sakura, but I like her fight and that she cares about Li. She is a kid and I can relate to having a very embarrassing crush on your cousin when you were a child. Let’s hope she grows out of it like I did.

Sakura annoyed me to the max when facing the fight card, I really wanted her to get it since it would be useful, but she was just standing there confused. Even I knew she had to use either power or sword card to defeat it.
Jan 16, 2021 6:12 AM

Feb 2020
really enjoyable seeing meillin but i wonder if she'll warm up to sakura like li
Feb 17, 2021 12:29 AM
Oct 2019
Idk what you people are talking about, Meillin is hilarious because she sets herself for failure, she is cocky and bitter but that is okay because she trips up so often, Sakura's reactions of pure confusion at her attempted rivalry against her is also very funny.
Mar 12, 2021 6:23 PM

Jul 2016
Meiling doing the ojou-sama laugh ♥
Apr 26, 2021 7:58 AM

Aug 2018
lol, as if Sakura would care if Shaoran is taken by someone or not.. ;D Sakura is into Yukito, not Shaoran, she doesn't care about Shaoran.. Not at this point at least.. Things can change, but there is no interest here right now..
Well, I still don't really know, if it's important that one person would collect all cards.. And what would happen, really, if more than one person would collect cards?.. Is it good?.. Is it bad?.. I have no idea..
May 28, 2021 7:48 PM

Jun 2014
Meiling is definitely talented, but she lacks any magical power, so she risks putting herself in danger in clow card situations, but she's stuck to Li like glue, and there's apparently nothing that he can do about it.

I wonder how Meiling will react if she discovers Li's attraction to Yukito? :P

Jun 30, 2021 12:36 PM

Jan 2021
Meilin Needs a slap across her face!!!
She truly is annoying
I feel bad for syaoran
Apr 22, 2022 1:07 PM

Oct 2021
The Fight card was awesome, really like its design.
May 8, 2023 7:27 PM
Jul 2017
cousin finance...bruh
Sep 8, 2023 5:18 PM

May 2013
Goodness. I was internally screaming at Sakura to use Power for like 5 minutes. Fun episode though.
Oct 9, 2023 1:56 PM
May 2016
increible awesome nosek
Jan 8, 1:33 AM

Apr 2017
People are divided over Meilin, but I'm in the hate her camp. I really don't like her character, and she adds nothing for me. Someone on here commented that she's a filler character. In that case, they really just should not have created her. She doesn't really have a role that she fulfills. She's a love rival for Sakura and a card captor rival for her, but Li fulfills that role perfectly fine. She's supposedly a friend of Li's, but the lying boy fulfills that role. I'd be fine with her redundancy if she had a great personality, but she's just annoying.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 37 Discussion

xxjanism - Aug 7, 2009

36 by CronoGlasses »»
Apr 8, 9:32 AM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kappaka - Sep 12, 2008

76 by Daviljoe193 »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 57 Discussion

gohdan - Apr 25, 2010

46 by johneaston »»
Apr 6, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 11 Discussion

enkil - Jun 29, 2009

36 by Ch0coPudding »»
Mar 31, 3:34 PM

Poll: » Cardcaptor Sakura Episode 10 Discussion

enkil - Jun 27, 2009

43 by Ch0coPudding »»
Mar 31, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.