Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 12, 2008 1:40 PM
Oct 2008
I loved Rem. Made me sad to see her go. *tear*
Nov 24, 2008 6:04 PM

Oct 2008
I thought Ryuzaki and Light wuold have such a friendly relashionship.
WHY L!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 19, 2008 1:23 PM

Dec 2008
I managed to just watch this for the first time without knowing that L was going to die.

With hindsight, the Judas feet washing was symbolically ominous, but I just kind of figured that if L or Light was going to die, it would have to be very close to episode 37.

What on Earth can happen now that one of the two main characters is dead and Light appears to have just won? Well, I guess there's one way to find out, but I was very surprised that L died so long before the end of the story.

After Light Vs L, I think it would be hard for anything else not to be an anticlimax, especially if new characters are just introduced.
fedaykinDec 19, 2008 2:03 PM
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 20, 2008 7:06 PM

Jun 2008
This episode is why I dropped DN.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Dec 20, 2008 7:23 PM
Apr 2008
Oh wow. I was so pissed that L is dead. this anime is nothing without L.
Dec 21, 2008 1:42 AM
Oct 2008
when i watched that episode......
I felt sad 'coz L died......awwww

the part when L massaged Light's feet is my favorite part
it made me laugh....

the part when Misa was walking was really weird for me.
Mar 10, 2009 7:15 PM

Dec 2008
man L being dead really sucks. and now you even tell me the series will get worse...

Mar 22, 2009 4:00 PM

Mar 2008
I was so worried that the anime wouldn't do the manga-version of L's death justice and so delayed watching this episode for aages >.< but I was impressed.. I mean seriously, the symbolism in this anime is ricidulously good -- it's almost like a film rather than an anime.. I loved the bit where Misa was there singing like a doll - she looked so much like a puppet it was creepy and really got across Light's hold on her. Also love to Light's red eyes when he looks back at Rem << awesome shot ^w^

and though the rain + towel scene was new (and totally unexpected xD), I really liked it *w* but maybe that's only because I'm a fan of the pairing anyway ^__^;; FANSERVICE!!!!! xD

but best of all was the way they did L's death TT_____TT I was so glad that they had Light smirking and that that shot was pulled directly from the manga.. I mean, wow.. what an ending.. though would have liked to hear L's thoughts then -- after all, he dies knowing that although he didn't get to solve the case, he was right.
Mar 22, 2009 10:47 PM

Mar 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 8D
Mar 29, 2009 2:40 PM

Mar 2009
L dying is still a massive shock even to me after reading the manga. The manga had a much different kind of suspense, with thoughts flying all over the pages. This is a lot more rushed and as a result, it feels just as good to watch but in a different sense, if you get my meaning.

I was pretty annoyed at the Yaoi fanservicing though - I REALLY don't recall that scene from the manga at all, and I just checked and no, it wasn't there. Clearly a fanservice, but I can overlook it because the death scene was played out oh-so well. It'll be interesting to see how Near and Melo develop in the anime, although I didn't really like either of them in the manga. It seemed like they seperated the two sides of L and apart, they weren't exactly appealing.

Regardless, I'm still intrigued to keep on watching.
Mar 30, 2009 11:07 AM
Feb 2009
Wow, that was intense. >w<

The foot washing scene totally caught me off guard, and at first I thought it had to be random fanservice, but halfway through I realized the symbolism. xD

Man, I'm gonna miss L. He was my favorite. ;-; I hate Kira.
Mar 30, 2009 8:10 PM

Oct 2008
Ontario said:
This episode is why I dropped DN.

Yes I agree. The anime just goes downhill from here. D:
Apr 1, 2009 1:43 PM

Jun 2008
Loved it: L was adorable in it, the scene at Whammy's was just...amazing (I dunno, I liked seeing the top of L's little head 83), the LxLight footrub XD, and L looked HOT in the rain. I also liked Misa no Uta (Japanese is on my MP3 player)

Hated it: L. WHY?!?!?!?!?!???!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!

This episode, if I didn't hate him already, it made me LOATHE Light "I'm a gay". DAMN YOU!!!!!!!! KILL MISA OFF INSTEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DDDDDDX
Apr 17, 2009 5:53 AM

Apr 2009
Brilliant episode, but I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but I've never cried so much at a show.:(

Apr 24, 2009 11:18 AM
Jan 2009
This episode was really sad and I hated that L died,and W, something I never would have expected. But in the end it was a really good episode.

I miss L!! :(
AkusudaruApr 26, 2009 8:15 AM
Apr 30, 2009 8:31 AM

Apr 2009
They killed off my favorite character. Bitches.

I mean, I knew that one or the other had to die, but this early in the series?

It's gonna be like that big middle part of the series where Light wasn't Kira -- just didn't feel right or have the original suspense.

Meh.

At least I'm glad I wasn't somehow spoiled on the whole death thing.. though it also throws out my idea that L was somehow "not quite human".. which I guess was far-fetched wishful thinking.

Like others have said, my final thought is that this would have been an amazing, possibly perfect ending to the series. As it is, having 10 episodes left, I'm not hopeful for a good conclusion to everything.

May 4, 2009 2:29 PM
Jun 2008
This was an incredible ending to the series.
May 10, 2009 7:35 PM

Jun 2008
waaa!! is L really dead?!??!?!!? i don't see rem's predicament at all.. is she saying that the only way to save misa is to kill L but by killing L, she's also gonna die because she saved misa??? is that really the only way? if i was rem, i would kill light... that way, i'm not gonna die cuz i'm not directly saving misa.. and at the same time, L's not gonna believe misa's kira because L's all too aware of misa's love for light, which he said time and time again right??? it doesn't make sense at all.. and its not like they have proof that misa's actually kira. although, that'll probably hurt misa.. but it'll save her at lease, i mean, rem knows that light doesn't really love misa, he's just using her... ugh!!!! DONT DIE L!!!!

anyway.. that scene after the rain thing... i thought it was a yaoi for one moment there. hahaha
Jun 9, 2009 5:37 PM

May 2009
This is the actual finale of Death Note...

I don't know what to rate.. It was absolutely the saddest and one of the most shocking episodes of the DN. It was so great and i liked it. But it wasn't ok.. after seeing that scene.
I was all like "What? Really? No-no no-- how can it be? Why L ?"

Misa's singing.. was a little spine-chilling. Didn't get the point in this.

Though everything happened, really nice ep.
Jul 18, 2009 10:05 AM

Dec 2008
rem should have gotten rid of light as well even if it made misa sad.
and then just let the anime end after they catch misa and imprison them for life.
Aug 2, 2009 12:58 PM

Jul 2009
best episode ever... but also killed the series when they dragged the series on after L died, :(
Aug 7, 2009 10:39 AM

Aug 2009
OH GOD! L WAS GAY! (sorry for capslock and spoilers)
Aug 18, 2009 12:14 PM
May 2009
itainteazy said:
I dont know what to say.........L giving Light a foot massage was probably the weirdest most random thing that ever happened in the series. Besides that it was a good episode.

I swear I thought it was going to turn into a yaoi scene.
Aug 26, 2009 9:20 PM

Aug 2008
if i was Rem i'd have killed Light along with L to give him one final @#$% you
Aug 28, 2009 8:58 PM
Apr 2009
protoman96 said:
i think it might be symbolic of l's total submission to light, his complete subjugation/failure.

also, hirano aya ftw.

I agree, it is. Its not fanservice of course lol.

''Oh, and it's such a shame that they didn't do the scene when after Light smiles right before L dies, L thinks to himself that he knew that Light was Kira.''

Shit ,I didn't know that was left out. That part was so important, I felt L's dead was so stupid and casual... I felt they needed more of a '' I am Kira'' before L died.. \: Now its just stupid.

BUt i'm gonna miss him.

Damn rem, and damn misa, their both stupid.

Just, L knew he was gonna die.. he said ''This is farewell'' And, ''You've played it well.'' or ''everything went well''

damn \:..
Aug 31, 2009 9:53 AM
Jul 2008
L knew he was going to die.
Light kept acting like he was L's friend till the end and after.
He has become so much darker, I wonder how much worse can it get.
Sep 10, 2009 5:33 PM

Apr 2009
The massage scene really was weird, but I think that L was trying to see whether Light was a real friend, even if he was Kira, or not. Also during that discussion in the rain.
I've gotta say, so far it was brilliant, but with L gone I'm not sure whether it can keep this quality.
Before reading this thread I thought it was a ploy by L and that smirk by Light gave him the answer he was looking for, but now... He's really dead? :'(

But this episode: Brilliant.
Sep 11, 2009 12:48 PM

Dec 2008
I honestly don't know why I've watched this show until now. It relies a bit too much on the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" cliché as the only reason why someone as pure-intentioned as the real Yagami Light would become this wicked, smirking sadist bent on becoming the 'god' of a 'new world' and all this crap.

I think the only reason I can't side with him over L is that he's just not convincing as a character. Of course this has lead to some impressive scenes, like when Light takes the Death Note from L's hands while sitting in the helicopter, and his face is momentarily frozen in horror as his memories of his Kira alter-ego flood back into his mind (leading to his oft-quoted, "Just as planned")... Yet still, I prefer L over Light simply because he's more ambiguous and intriguing as a character. Light is just this inexplicably warped, sinister version of his true self. And since it's never suggested that the Death Note actually has the power to drastically change its possessor's personality, I just don't accept Light as a believable character.

The only way I could rationalize it is that his discovery of the Death Note brought about some kind of psychological split or subconscious 'evil'... but the show never really goes into anything like this. He just discovers the Death Note, realizes what he can do with it, and boom: completely different person. Same smarts, but his personality change is such a betrayal of who he is otherwise...

The fact that Light has won and L is dead might upset me if Light (rather, Kira) felt more believable to me, but as it is, it's more like I'm disappointed in the anime as a whole, even though it has qualities that have kept me watching until now. I don't know if I'll continue, since I can't imagine that anything beyond L's death has any relevance.

Of course, all anyone else can think about is the 'yaoi' scene.
zenoslimeSep 14, 2009 8:35 AM
Sep 12, 2009 12:42 PM
May 2009
I hated it!!!!! And i cried a bit.... L was my favourite from Death Note... :(
Oct 30, 2009 5:22 PM

Oct 2009
Okay, Rem is an idiot, and this show is so depressing and frustrating. I knew L was going to die because unfortunately everyone spoils it >.>

Anyway, Light has to be the pure essence of evil. No person would go through all that and feel no compassion.
Nov 2, 2009 9:13 AM
Aug 2009
Don't know whether to like this or not. First of all, I knew they're gonna add new characters in the show, but I never thought they would do it by killing the most awesome character of the show.

L was like one of the greatest anime characters there is, and his death was a bit of a disappointment. In my opinion it just didn't do honor to the character comparing how intelligent, skillful and quick-witted he was. After all those 25 episodes, seeing him dying just like that lying on the ground was a bit of an anticlimax.

The foot washing scene was great when you realized the symbolism in it, and it with those enigmatic words L said when standing in the rain and before his death left me some how safisfied. Because it seemed that L knew he was going to die and knowing what kind of character he is, he probably had thought over and maybe even accepted it.

Just wondering how the series will turn out after this episode...
Nov 16, 2009 12:35 PM

Jan 2009
*speechless*

Right now I'd describe myself as... in denial ^_^. I liked L and I knew he was gonna die before Light will, but I imagined they'd make his death more... heroic. He was truly a genius and they killed him with such a simple and lowly trick. They can bring as many M's and N's as they like, but none of them will ever be like L. He was one of a kind.

It was sad all the way and I actually found the foot massage as of significance. I believe L knew he was gonna die ['It's almost time to say goodbye'] but in the same time he cared for Light as his first and best friend. And no, I don't think he was gay O_o. And that's coming from a person who sees gayness and yaoi in absolutely anything :D.

And... I'll probably be taking some time off from DN now ^^. I never expected to get attached to characters [but it looks like I did] and right now I need time to mourn :|. For the record, I still like L more than Light.

Nov 16, 2009 5:28 PM
Oct 2009
that motherfucker light

L should of just killed the guy, instead of licking and massageing his foot
Nov 16, 2009 5:30 PM
Oct 2009
Sykermeetikko said:
Don't know whether to like this or not. First of all, I knew they're gonna add new characters in the show, but I never thought they would do it by killing the most awesome character of the show.

L was like one of the greatest anime characters there is, and his death was a bit of a disappointment. In my opinion it just didn't do honor to the character comparing how intelligent, skillful and quick-witted he was. After all those 25 episodes, seeing him dying just like that lying on the ground was a bit of an anticlimax.

The foot washing scene was great when you realized the symbolism in it, and it with those enigmatic words L said when standing in the rain and before his death left me some how safisfied. Because it seemed that L knew he was going to die and knowing what kind of character he is, he probably had thought over and maybe even accepted it.

Just wondering how the series will turn out after this episode...

concur L should of been the character to bring light to juctice
Nov 17, 2009 9:45 AM
Oct 2009
ok so if u are in L shoes

and u some how suspect that the page was torn out because light tore out the page, to kill the 3rd kira.

then isn't that game set match what more proof do u need? u have the little page torn out, your number 1 suspect had contact with the death note just prior to the guy dieing. yes there is the 13 day rule but some how he suspects that may not be true and he is testing it. so if u go that far know that u are questioning the rules on the frickon death note aren't u would think u would already be 99 percent sure that kira is light.

u have been right next to him while he touch the death note and then saw the guy die. u know the rules about how quickly it can kill some one.

so what am i missing here u know light is kira u know how he kills u know the dude is one evil frickon genious why the heck aren't u skeeming to some how arrest him and misa misa.
Nov 18, 2009 11:23 AM
Oct 2009
aaaaahhhhhhhh i can't describe how i feel right now .. though i knew that L would die (all thanks goes to my brother for spoiling >_>) but he just died .. like all of what light did was think of a way to kill L but like ahhhhhh.. it's so lame .. making rem do it ... rem is sooo stupid ... !! i normal person or in this case shinigami would just kill light .. and rem knows that light is using misa and he will never loved her so why not just kill him i sooooo hate light right now .. i don't know how can i go on with watching ....!
Dec 9, 2009 2:47 AM

Mar 2009
omgosh that foot massage was so weird. i didn't get the point of that. lol
but wow..Goodbye L & Rem.. Light tricked them all and basically he's back on top now. what an episode. 5/5!
:D

Dec 21, 2009 3:10 AM

Apr 2009
i didn't find l's death sad i found
Dec 28, 2009 9:51 AM

Nov 2009
Goodbye L >=3
MashuiDec 28, 2009 9:57 AM
Dec 29, 2009 7:59 PM
Nov 2009
Issitheus said:
My final thoughts: Finally! L's dead!

Issitheus said:

WHAT!!! WHAT!! NNO NO NO NO NO! L HAD NO REASON TO DIE! HE WAS JUST DOING HIS JOB! AND FOR LIGHT TO KILL HIM EVEN AFTER L SAID HE WAS HIS FIRST-EVER FRIEND IS COW POOP! L WAS A VERY IMPORTANT PERSON!!! U NO WAT! WHEN LIGHT DIES IM GONNA LAUGH MY *SS OFF!
Dec 29, 2009 8:00 PM
Dec 2009
Issitheus said:

L is awesome!!!!! You evil person!!! Why would L's death satisfy you??!?!?! The series wont be nearly as interesting without him, you monster!!! When light dies....I'M GONNA DIE LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 5, 2010 9:28 AM

Jul 2009
the entire episode i sat on the edge of my seat, I knew it was coming. Light is so twisted, I love it. L in the rain was adorable, i want an L massage too. I agree with it being an allusion to the Jesus parable. He was so innocent. I thought the foot washing was really cute and sweet and very awkward. I cried when L passed. Light disgusts me, I like him but his acting is annoying. And I guess I find it more annoying since I (the audience) is fully aware that he's Kira and a liar. I just wish L wasn't a casualty oh and REM too. that was sad. IMO the series isn't as great without L, then again I'm glad it's not a never ending anime, like alot of other Shonen
JoquishaJoestarJan 5, 2010 9:34 AM
Jan 6, 2010 10:12 PM

Jan 2009
GAME OVER MAN!
GAME OVER!

Jan 13, 2010 11:52 AM

Dec 2009
The towel scene was a bit weird as everyone has pointed out, and I usually like cute scenes but that was just too much out of the blue. It came from nowhere!

I got the feeling throughout the episode that L did know that he was going to kick it. Maybe he even knew that Light is the Kira.

This would have been the perfect end for this anime. I don't really understand why it continued after this...and I haven't even seen the rest. Not really looking forward to it now that one of the main characters are dead. Just feels weird.
<i>Even if I carry these countless scars with me
Quickly or softly, either way you aren't getting my soul</i>
Jan 24, 2010 1:02 PM

Jul 2009
I still don get how could Light do dat 2 L when he was so nice 2 him. TT^TT

I feel so sad!
& after L's heart atack, he didn't even feel pity for him.

Thought this was a gooooooooood ep.!! AWESOME!!
Feb 2, 2010 7:52 PM

Nov 2009
T_T L's dead? now whos gonna stop light >.> at the start i liked light alot, then slowly my respect for him dropped and L grew on me... nuuuuu why L WHY!?
Mar 4, 2010 9:15 PM

Feb 2010
its kinda wierd that people are more interested in the foot wash than the whole L dying part

Mar 10, 2010 11:50 AM

Jan 2010
omf L died??????what???? there are 13 episodes left what the duck???

and yeah i knew that L rubbing light's feet had a deeper meaning :)

misa's random singing in the begining was strange also

damn what a crazy epsiode..

but,if L dies,it means that Light won right?wasn't this the whole purpose of the show? then what are the last 12 episodes filled with?

oh well,it sure is clear that death note will not be death note anymore with L dead :(

EDIT:(1 day after watching realisation)...i think i realised why this episode got on my nerves...it's because Light cheated!
he didn't even had to find out his true name,he just got Rem to kill him,and that's annoying
clannad4everMar 11, 2010 11:32 AM
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Mar 26, 2010 6:39 PM

Apr 2009
Wow I didn't think they would kill off L, that is incredible, wonder what's going to happen now...
Mar 27, 2010 1:44 AM

Jul 2009
Waaaa =( I was psyched at the foot massage scene because it seemed to me like L was trying to say that under different circumstances they could of been friends. BUUUTTTT NO =( they just had to go and kill him off, I knew it was gonna happen but i wasn't expecting it for another 5-7 episodes, how am i gonna survive another 13 eps without L >w<
It's just bugging me that L is such a brilliant character and he was killed off so easily (hmmph, it would of at least made me feel a little better if light could of looked a tiny bit sorry)
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 8, 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.