Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 9, 2014 10:58 AM

Aug 2014
Xykij said:
Today we learned L has a foot fetish...and a fetish for everything about Light in general. Gay af.

Bheaze said:
that was the biggest yaoi intervention i have seen/ rem is like NO GAY 4 U L

It was weird indeed and I couldn't believe that this was there just as a fanservice, so I googled it for us. (source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080413145203AANvIW3)

It's symbolic. Jesus, in the bible, washed the feet of all of his disciples before his death - even, Judas, the one whom he knew would betray him to his death. L knew that Light would kill him at that point. The animators wanted to add this display of symbolism for the sake of making everything more dramatic. (Kind of like foreshadowing.)
Sep 13, 2014 2:51 AM

Jan 2011
Yea, definitely it's still one of the best episodes I've ever seen in anime. Goosebumps.
Sep 18, 2014 1:23 AM

Jan 2014
I still think that foot massage wasn't just a foot massage.
And L dead... Really? Hmm... What next, then? ^_____^
Sep 20, 2014 12:21 PM

May 2014
I felt sad that L died. In my opinion, he was the best part of the show. I wonder what they'll do next?
Sep 22, 2014 12:45 PM

Mar 2014
Singing Misa? That was... weird.

Hachimitsu said:
The foot massage scene was a total fanservice!~ XD

Haha. Right? I felt like it was about to turn erotic.

Anyway, I knew that was going to happen to Rem after the last episode. It was almost obvious. Kinda sad to see all those guys go though. Like nooooo. Oh well.

I want more Ryuk. I love him.
Oct 9, 2014 6:20 AM

Oct 2013
eugh. Thanks to Death Note spoilers being all over the place, commonly without warning, I knew L was going to die this episode before I even started the series. Despite that, this still had a lot of impact. I feel depressed now. I already miss him. I have a feeling this show just won't be the same without him. The duality between Light and L is what made the first 15-16 episodes so interesting, but now... blegh. L knew until the very end, and that makes it all the more disheartening.

I thought the scene with Misa singing was very beautiful, at least, even if a little disturbing (in a beautiful way).

When I watched the foot massage scene, I said to myself, "I bet this scene alone has generated hundreds of yaoi fanfics." The idea of it having religious symbolism adds a lot of depth to it, though.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 22, 2014 7:18 AM

Oct 2010
I mean .. what the fuck --' I already know he was going to die .. but really? x___x L was one of my favourits in the show .. what now? --'
Nov 11, 2014 2:20 AM

Sep 2014
Huskey said:
Xykij said:
Today we learned L has a foot fetish...and a fetish for everything about Light in general. Gay af.

Bheaze said:
that was the biggest yaoi intervention i have seen/ rem is like NO GAY 4 U L

It was weird indeed and I couldn't believe that this was there just as a fanservice, so I googled it for us. (source: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080413145203AANvIW3)

It's symbolic. Jesus, in the bible, washed the feet of all of his disciples before his death - even, Judas, the one whom he knew would betray him to his death. L knew that Light would kill him at that point. The animators wanted to add this display of symbolism for the sake of making everything more dramatic. (Kind of like foreshadowing.)

Thanks, I assumed it was some reference from the bible or another religion but I didn't exactly know. Thanks for clarifying.

So Rem killed all of them, including herself, because she didn't want to hurt Misa with Light's death? Omg that's one crazy plan. I hate to see L die, I feel like the last 10 episodes won't be the same.
MirageeNov 11, 2014 2:43 AM
Nov 20, 2014 11:45 PM

Sep 2014
Watari, L, and Rem all gone in one episode. :(
Dec 17, 2014 4:45 PM

Nov 2014
L's death + Rem's death = complete sadness in one episode. They were both so awesome :(

L had to be one of the most intriguing characters I've ever seen in anything. He was so amazing. Definitely interested in seeing how the rest of the story is gonna go without L now...
Jan 27, 2015 11:54 PM
Nov 2014
SO, Misa got another lifespan because of Rem's death?
It's means now misa has normal life span or more?
Mar 16, 2015 3:46 PM
Jan 2015
nooo L! :(
Mar 21, 2015 8:50 PM

Dec 2014
smashmaniac64 said:
its kinda wierd that people are more interested in the foot wash than the whole L dying part

Lol, I'm totally in agreement. While I also thought it was awkward; as Huskey pointed out, it's apparently reference to Jesus and Judas, whose stories are similar to that is of L and Light, which makes sense. Clearly that wasn't a intended to be "fanservice" or sort.

While I hoped for otherwise, the episode beginning with L's childhood pretty much gave the hint L's death will actually occur. And it seems he already knew that his time has come, perhaps even that Light is Kira. But seriously, I'm disappointed with Rem here. She should've just realized what Misa thinks her happiness ultimately isn't her happiness at all and she will suffer in either way. Yet she opted for the choice submitting to Light alone. But gotta give it to Light that he successfully outwitted all his opponents, though for L's case he couldn't really do anything much about to prevent it at this point.

L was most entertaining and favorable character and both his and Watari's death did indeed upset me, now that there are 12 more episodes without him I hope it'll manage to remain as interesting and entertaining somehow...
NozdrefMar 21, 2015 9:09 PM

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 26, 2015 2:31 AM
Nov 2014
L no! ( I should be happy since I'm more of a Light fan but still D: )

That massage scene was dank as fuck xD.

∞/10
May 21, 2015 5:23 AM
Dec 2011
oh....my... L ......................................................................................................................... i don't know what to say or think or anything everything went completely blank still is... my head is aching and my my treas wont stop and my heart feels like its about to break........................ that's all !!! :3

L isn't a person who like's violence L use it in a none harmful way as a last and only resort that's why he hunt down major criminals using submission as a weapon ... that's why L wanted to stop light's violence :3

when L did the wiping feat thing to light and saying sorry and said "atoning for my sins"...L think its his fault not being able to stop light now in his dark path!!

when L was cleaning light i think L was saying to light i tried to clean your act i am still trying i will always try i am sorry light i couldn't stop your evil now but i will :3 this is what it meant. L WANTS TO SAVE light from himself but L knew L's time is near :3

L is like hawk once he notice his pray he will never let it go remember that light ! :3 i love you L :3 !
Jun 5, 2015 3:59 PM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jun 7, 2015 1:52 PM

Sep 2014
L predicted his death... I Think...
Jun 12, 2015 8:35 PM

Feb 2014
I'm crying so much now ;A;
Stop calling me your bunny I won't hop and you don't own me
Jun 15, 2015 8:25 AM

Jun 2013
this is just a wild guess but i think the foot drying scene was a major symbol as it represented L as jesus and his last supper. L realised his life came to an end so he decided to do light a favour by drying his feet; jesus washing his disciples' feet. the similarity between L's and jesus' situation is that they both knew their life were coming to an end so they wanted to help their friends for the last time. i could be completely wrong but this is just my guess behind this particular scene
Jun 16, 2015 3:03 PM

Jul 2011
Although the execution was a bit implicit for the foot scene, eh... But the rain scene and (funeral) "bells" that L mentions symbolize death as well. The whole episode was plagued with symbolism (and flashbacks) that it was almost annoying. L knew death was coming, but perhaps he was also preparing himself to finally act on his notion of Light being Kira. Too bad he died before he got the chance.

Light's smile of triumph and L's final realization (wide eyes) was priceless. Light has fallen so far from his ideal and has been corrupted by the power he holds, but he has succeeded. Evil triumphs!
Jun 23, 2015 1:33 PM
Aug 2014
Been putting off watching the rest of the series since I watched this episode. L was my favorite part. I don't really like Light as a character that much; Ryuk was what kept the non-L scenes interesting.
Jul 3, 2015 9:42 PM

Apr 2014
dat foot massage
Jul 19, 2015 11:10 AM

Apr 2014
Yaoi subtext?? Wasn't light's dad shot last ep and now he seems to be fine? And if you figure Misa would live to be 80, minus half is 40, then minus half again is 20. She's really screwed..
---------My Profile------------
Jul 19, 2015 12:04 PM

Sep 2014
IdntHavWings said:
Yaoi subtext??

No...
Aug 15, 2015 2:16 PM
Jan 2015
It's very easy to discover why L and Watari died, but I bet Light will deflect the investigation from that, and that's how he will be caught. Idiot.
Aug 17, 2015 3:44 AM

Sep 2014
The tennis match represented Light and L's battle throughout the series so far.
Both of them made some great moves, back and forth, seemingly on par with each other, and Light won in the end.

I believe L is the more intelligent one. At the end of the day, he was up against the supernatural (the Shinigami).
Killing people by writing their names in a book defies logic, yet he still managed to work it all out.
Mirai, zura~!
Aug 20, 2015 4:34 PM

Jun 2015
Still hits hard even after watching for the first time in about 4 years... the direction is so good, such a classic episode.
Aug 22, 2015 7:10 AM
Nov 2014
This episode had the best symbolism in the entire series. I read through the replies and loved everything everyone had to say. But for me the absolute best scene was the scene where L rubs Lights feet. The lighting shines on Kira as if he has finally obtained his divinity, where as L's attitude toward light proves L knows now that Light is Kira, and that he believes himself a god. L tells light that rubbing his feet is to "atone" when in reality he's undermining light's god complex and then while rubbing his feet he mentions to Light that "he'll get used to it." seriously, just an amazing scene and definitely worth being added to the anime because of the symbolism
Aug 25, 2015 9:33 AM
Jul 2015
Light didn't even have second thoughts about killing L.How cruel.
The Light not possessed by Kira was so much better(i.e the Light who did not have the death note ).
L's death was so sad.He probably didn't even have time to feel betrayed.
Plus I liked L a lot.

It terms of liking,for me ;

L = Non-Kira Light > Light(Kira) > everyone else.
Saur_SAug 25, 2015 9:43 AM
Sep 15, 2015 12:52 PM

Jan 2015
There's a pretty big change in direction and tone this episode. A much more minimalist and symbolic feel to it than usual.

Anyway, a few users on this thread have expressed concern as to how the show could go on without L... I'm kinda nervous too. I've been hearing a lot about how the 2nd half is worse than the 1st. I personally didn't enjoy the arc with Light losing his memories of being Kira, and I get the feeling the next 11 episodes will be the same.
Oct 1, 2015 5:58 AM

Jul 2015
dug said:
There's a pretty big change in direction and tone this episode. A much more minimalist and symbolic feel to it than usual.

Anyway, a few users on this thread have expressed concern as to how the show could go on without L... I'm kinda nervous too. I've been hearing a lot about how the 2nd half is worse than the 1st. I personally didn't enjoy the arc with Light losing his memories of being Kira, and I get the feeling the next 11 episodes will be the same.

This is what I'm worried about as well. I remember reading on the forums here that the series should have ended on episode 25. I'm tempted to just not watch the rest of the anime.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Oct 2, 2015 5:11 AM

Mar 2014
I knew this was coming
such an awesome episode tho
Oct 3, 2015 4:57 PM

Mar 2010
In a diverse and crazy world, Light thinking he had no more enemies makes him sound naive and stupid.. The only reason he won was because of Rem and the unnatural.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 6, 2015 11:54 PM

Jun 2015
sometaters said:
dug said:

This is what I'm worried about as well. I remember reading on the forums here that the series should have ended on episode 25. I'm tempted to just not watch the rest of the anime.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You should both absolutely finish the anime. I have heard the complaints about the 2nd half as well, but I personally found it enjoyable, even though I agree it wasn't quite as epic as the first half. Considering there's no L, they did a good job with what they had and in keeping the story interesting and relevant. No filler, just pure anime goodness in every episode.

And it's worth it if only to have everything wrapped up at the end. The ending is another thing many people disliked, but I personally thought it was very good and appropriate to the series' overall tone :)
Oct 10, 2015 10:38 AM

Apr 2010
Rem... I didn't want Rem to die. :'C
Oct 12, 2015 7:52 PM

Oct 2015
Wow. Best episode yet imo. The L foot massage thing wasn't fanservice, it was him knowing he was going to die. My chest immediately felt tight when I saw that happen.

I teared up when Light teared up, but was that even for real? He immediately has his triumphant face on a split-second after we see him tear up. Maybe that moment where he cries was the last of his humanity leaving him...if he even had any left.
Oct 28, 2015 4:53 AM
Jun 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CUShSdeDo

Check the video link out for a in depth character review of Light Yagam! If you enjoyed this discussion then subscribe for more Death Note discussion videos on my youtube channel!!
Oct 28, 2015 1:07 PM

Oct 2014
the art in this episode was amazing wow
Nov 1, 2015 10:40 AM
Jul 2015
The footmassage thing was a bit surprising..
But when I thought they maybe could get a bit closer, so that Light would feel regret if/when L died (hey, I haven't read the whole Manga..) L suddenly dies like that. Thank you, Rem... And Light...

Ugh, I don't know what I'll feel after this...
where is that damn eraser?
Nov 7, 2015 1:05 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
That food massage though O.O
No L, No!

5/5
Nov 10, 2015 4:40 PM

Nov 2014
This episode was so sad, I can't believe L is dead. He seemed to know it was coming. 5/5
Nov 15, 2015 6:10 PM

Nov 2014
I WANT TO SCREAM OUT LOUD WHEN L DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIGHT YAGAMI HOW DARE YOU DO THAT!!!! HOW DARE YOU SMILE LIKE THAT RIGHT BEFORE L DIES!!!??? HE HAD TO DIE KNOWING HIS BEST, ONLY FRIEND KILLED HIM!!!! ARGHHHHH!!! L had been acting weird this whole episode. He must've known that he's gonna die TATAT I wonder what's with the bell and that crying kid in the beginning...

But despite all that, Yagami Light is still one of the best villain of all time.
Dec 10, 2015 1:44 PM

Jul 2015
Light couldn't beat L without cheating lel
Jan 26, 2016 1:41 PM

Dec 2015
Lots of comments this time, wow.
I felt so bad for Rem really. She cared about Misa too much... But I guess that's what love is. She gave her own life to save Misa. The second shinigami to do this though. They really fall for her huh? (jokes to lighten the mood)
We all probably knew/guessed that L would die. But it was still sad to see it happening. When L was slowly dying, I actually thought that maybe Light would regret it a little. Then I saw the twisted smile and immediately ''uh, nevermind''. L knew he was going to die, everything he did this episode betrayed it. He knew he lost and that Light had won. I found the scene of them drying off quite sweet, but saw the symbolism almost at once (how can some people not see that). What made it all worse though, was the fact that they kind of were like friends... Light just stabbed him in the back.
But I don't dislike Light. He's a mastermind, cleverly manipulates everyone around him and is being corrupted by the death note more and more. I find it very intriguing.

The scene with Misa singing didn't seem off to me. It seemed beautifully creepy and ominous. A great example of the marvelous symbolism this anime has got going on all the time. Misa seemed like a doll, which she is to Light. The creepy feeling it had was somehow connected to her having shinigami eyes and killing people (for me). It seemed a little as if she was questioning her actions a little, but at the meantime being like a lifeless doll and still continuing what she's doing. So this seemed as a hopeless and sad song to me. I really liked it a lot.

It was hard to see Watari die, especially when you see L's reaction. And how he still made such an effort to delete everything despite being in so much pain. Of course it was really hard to see L die as well and I do think it won't really be the same without him. He was an exceptional character and I really liked him. But I do believe that Death Note will still be great till the end. The whole concept is just so great that I don't think it will fail.

Excited for what is to come. Love Death Note up until now.
''One is enough, find someone completely unique'' -Yato
''You can't feel lonely if there's no one else around'' -Yamaken
''Because it's broken, it will never recover'' -Nanami
Jan 31, 2016 4:40 PM

Jan 2016
T...this was the heaviest episode of the series so far. I felt so much during this episode. Shock, depression, amazement... I did cry when L died... and Watari. Was L adopted by Watari? Was that the meaning of the scene in the beginning..? And why Watari had been setting up adoption agencies?

Therefore.... L saw his step-father die right before his eyes... Rem, you monster.

Anyway, this was heavy. I was holding something throughout the whole episode. I was just waiting to see that it was a deception and L hadn't really died, maybe to get Light to expose himself or something. I don't know anymore.
Feb 8, 2016 11:31 PM

Nov 2014
I've watched up to episode 27 so far (I'll watch 28 tomorrow) but I want to post this here (there's no spoilers in this btw). Now that L's gone, the series feels so empty to me. It's just not the same without L...I get the whole foot washing scene being a bible reference, that L is Jesus and Light is Judas, and that L/Jesus predicted Light/Judas betraying him (only because everyone here said it though, since I've never read the bible I'm assuming you guys are right about that) and it totally makes sense. It's a pretty good reference. I also get that the creepy Misa singing scene where she looked like a doll was most likely to represent that she's just a puppet being controlled by Light, who's using her love for him against her. But I just wish L were still there...Its just not the same without him =,<
BlackFox24Feb 8, 2016 11:37 PM
Feb 24, 2016 3:25 PM

Dec 2015
BlackFox24 said:
I've watched up to episode 27 so far (I'll watch 28 tomorrow) but I want to post this here (there's no spoilers in this btw). Now that L's gone, the series feels so empty to me. It's just not the same without L...I get the whole foot washing scene being a bible reference, that L is Jesus and Light is Judas, and that L/Jesus predicted Light/Judas betraying him (only because everyone here said it though, since I've never read the bible I'm assuming you guys are right about that) and it totally makes sense. It's a pretty good reference. I also get that the creepy Misa singing scene where she looked like a doll was most likely to represent that she's just a puppet being controlled by Light, who's using her love for him against her. But I just wish L were still there...Its just not the same without him =,<
I kind of have to agree with you actually.
I don't have the same craving to watch another episode, as I did before. I'm on episode 31 right now and I haven't been that motivated to watch the next episode after L died. I mean, it's still interesting and so, but I guess it's just not the same. I didn't really want to admit it >_<
Before this episode I was more interested. Though it's still appealing, I'd like to know how it all ends.

Even if you don't get the scene where L dries Light's feet and then gives him a massage, because you haven't read the Bible and are unfamiliar with the story (which is also true for me), it can still be seen as a very meaningful scene. It's basically L submitting to Light and admitting his loss. The position of the two, the submitting behavior, the way L talks and what he says... it all screams that. He knew exactly what was coming and that he had lost, and that was the scene where he expressed that.
So yeah, too bad L is gone ._.
''One is enough, find someone completely unique'' -Yato
''You can't feel lonely if there's no one else around'' -Yamaken
''Because it's broken, it will never recover'' -Nanami
Mar 2, 2016 1:20 AM

Jan 2016
Great episode with a cruel ending! You knew L was gonna die sometime, but still it was unexpected...

Mar 9, 2016 9:46 PM

Mar 2016
Hey all, new user, just joining a 9 year old discussion.

I'm watching Death Note on NetFlix, and really digging it (actually, I'm rewatching it after doing a binge/marathon run-through the first time, to catch all the stuff I may have missed on my first go around).

I only like certain types of anime, I guess I'd best describe it as liking the "deeper" stuff, or perhaps anime with crossover themes that resonate more easily with Western cultures. ForEx: Akira, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Machine. I also liked Patlabor and Wings of Honneamise.

And now, I like Death Note, and Ep. 25 is a powerful example of why.

My interpretation: L may not intellectually/rationally realize that Light/Kira has defeated him (and that his death is imminent), but recognizes it (perhaps unconsciously) on an emotional/intuitive level. Hence the somber tone, and the premonitions of death for both L and Light, can be seen to be foreshadowed by L's question, "Do you hear the bells?" As in, "For Whom The Bell Tolls," the poem by John Donne:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,

For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

The opening imagery, meant to be taken as a some kind of flashback to L's early years, is actually a flashforward to the moment of L's death, when, in his final moments, the critically formative moments of his life "flash before his eyes." (Serious question: do Eastern cultures have the "Life Flashes Before You At The Moment Of Death" meme?)

L had stated previously (perhaps untruthfully, but I believe him) that Light was his only friend. And I think that it is quite evident that Light/Kira was also his ultimate adversary. Therefore, there is both an intellectual and emotional connection between the two that deepens dramatically after the conclusion of Ep. 24, wrapping up the Yotsuba arc.

Thus the foot washing scene works on several levels, each valid: the Christ foot washing and Yaoi interpretations (while actually quite innocent and emotionally tender) are, IMO, equally valid. Another element that I took from the foot washing scene was L's acknowledgement of his defeat by Light/Kira, his submission to Kira, and perhaps an act of penance for offending the new "god" Kira.

Just my opinion, but I do not think that L died "at peace." He may have, if it hadn't been for that evil smirk of Light's in L's very last moment. L died in pain, not just physical but also deep emotional pain, at not only his failure to stop Kira, but also in deep betrayal by his one and only friend, who is holding him in his arms and gloating over his death. It was gut-wrenchingly painful for me to watch, and that's saying something powerful about this show's creators

Again, just my opinion, but this series, and this episode in particular, is a near-perfect example of the type of anime that speaks most directly to me: an artful blending of Eastern and Western themes, interwoven in a complex tapestry that diminishes neither while subtly reinforcing each in turn as the narrative progresses.
I am the one you warned me of.
Apr 20, 2016 12:43 PM

Apr 2016
L nooo T_T It was only a matter of time but still! I'm going to miss him... Wonder what's gonna happen next.
Catty110Apr 20, 2016 1:02 PM
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 8, 6:17 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Luna - Dec 14, 2013

110 by misterskinny »»
Apr 6, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.