Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2014 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I giggle every time I see those animal outfits tbh.

Gotta keep practicing~
Seriously though, Airi needs to get her shit together if they hope to become more successful.
Feb 14, 2014 11:07 AM

May 2013
Poor Airi. She just needs to keep practicing, but I guess the manager doesn't see that it is helping her.
Feb 14, 2014 1:18 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
And the Military based 1-1 Club continues to show off once again.

Poor Airi she needs to step up her game and fix any drama she has in her life. She can't be an idol right now but if she practices hard she'll improve.

Feb 14, 2014 1:43 PM

Jun 2012
oh WHAT, not one... not two, but three persons didn't go to the concert. This is a major problem! So because of that, I-1 is now aware of WUG. Being recognized by the biggest idol group in the country is quite huge when you think about it.

Please don't go Airi. I want her to prove that Hayasaka is wrong, and that she can actually catch up with the group and do a good job.
TynkerFeb 14, 2014 1:47 PM
Feb 14, 2014 2:00 PM
Oct 2012
babymilo91 said:
Poor Airi. She just needs to keep practicing, but I guess the manager doesn't see that it is helping her.

Manager is playing this both ways, he has no intention of quitting, he is testing the girls as a unit, it they kick Airi out, then the team is stronger; if some quit, then they were never going to make it as a team and he would just be wasting his time; but if they all quit then the team as a unit becomes stronger and they will take a giant step forward and they would be even more worth teaching. That is after all what he sees in them (as well as the I-1 producer) and why he took the job.

The other advantage is that if they quit for Airi she can stop thinking herself as a liability (which is what is holding her back) and instead think of herself as a value adding team member (and future leader); but if she can't do that even after the team defends her, then she is better dropped.

Of course we know which way this is going to end up, but it was executed very well so far, so kudos to the show. It isn't the goal, but the path that is important.

Several nice things in this episode:
Loved how worn out everyone was after the first session, but Mayu wasn't even phased.

Loved how the producer spotted Mayu's flaw from her singing, and Mayu actually understood it, looking forward to that being resolved.

Oncoming younger brother infatuation with Sister's friends after next concert.

I like Yoppi as a character, but I think she is beginning to realize that she isn't the leader type because Yoppi isn't the "ganbatte" type. Airi is the best suited to be the leader (once she gets over her inferiority). Nice foreshadow of that this episode.

Yoppi though is going to be the true problem in that she wants to be the center, she thought being the leader would do this (but the magazine explained that the leader is best supporting from behind), and she knows she can't be better than Mayu. Her getting over her inferiority complex will be the real test.

Curious what the letter is in that Kaya's backpack, it only had a sendai (or Yokohama) address and her first name, but that it was addressed to "Kaya Sama" suggests that our arubito Kaya has some money in her background.

So nice solid episode, moved things forward and makes one interested in what will happen next. All one can ask for
Takuan_SohoFeb 14, 2014 2:04 PM
Feb 14, 2014 2:40 PM

Nov 2012
Starting to hope they end up failing and quit being idols.
Feb 14, 2014 2:48 PM

Mar 2013
GOAT episode.

Airi is an absolute trainwreck of a character let's hope she quits and we never hear another word from her.

but i know that's not going to happen. :(
Feb 14, 2014 4:10 PM
Jul 2013
Airi pulled, well, who cares?
Feb 14, 2014 4:11 PM

Sep 2013
Manager is playing this both ways, he has no intention of quitting, he is testing the girls as a unit,

I agree, but he's testing if they really have what it takes as a unit, not a 7 random girls. If they kick Airi out I think he'd quit.

Loved how worn out everyone was after the first session, but Mayu wasn't even phased.

I noticed that too! There's lots of nice, small details that make this show very watchable. It says they think the fans watching are smart enough to notice without a big red arrow pointing at it, eh?

The real-life girls at the end talk so fast! Holy moley!

Oh yeah: Cliffhanger!!!
Not really, we know the other girls won't dump Airi, right?
Feb 14, 2014 5:22 PM
Oct 2012
5Cats said:

I agree, but he's testing if they really have what it takes as a unit, not a 7 random girls. If they kick Airi out I think he'd quit.

Humm, had an epiphany on this, and if this show is as smart as we think it is we are both wrong. I'll spoil it because it is a pretty detailed explanation of the remainder of the season.

Takuan_SohoFeb 14, 2014 5:35 PM
Feb 14, 2014 5:30 PM

Oct 2012
Aaaah, noo, cliffhanger... now wait for a week >_<

So Airi is the weakest link... that was to be expected from the start. But every cog has it place in the big wheel and in the end she can be the one who brings energy and masses - with her Pygmalion-like story.

I really hope friendship wins in the end! (though I'm still not sure whether producer is testing them with this or not - cause they need to work as a group, always and they are lacking that right now. And as of now they also lack confidence) But it seems Yoshino gonna save the day - she was reading that interview about supporting others in the group and I don't think that was just for nothing. She will definitely unite and strenghten them somehow.

Of course, she could leave the group to be fan only realizing she was living a dream she couldn't fulfill with lack of her talent. That producer was harsh but he was just saying truth. But that would be kinda sad..
Feb 14, 2014 7:18 PM

Sep 2013
great ep :) portrayed the harsh realities of the idol world well
tbh, as cruel as it is, i agree that they don't even need airi

i mean seriously, she pointed it out herself :L she has no image in the group
pretty sure wug would do a lot better without her not to mention make more $ lol
Feb 14, 2014 7:22 PM

Dec 2011
FINALLY! Some focus in an iterresting character.
I was getting tored of the moe-ness of the previous 3 episodes.
Feb 14, 2014 8:06 PM

Feb 2012
Solid ep imo. Past few were meh but we finally get some real development. Hayasaka is obviously testing them and I'm sure they'll pass it with nakama power.
Feb 14, 2014 8:10 PM

Aug 2013
I love how they showed everyone, except Mayu, was exhausted after their training. She really is a cut above the rest.

Speaking of cuts, I hope Airi comes back. Mayu would most likely leave if they cut Airi from the group. I'm not so sure about the rest though.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 14, 2014 8:23 PM

Oct 2013
I agree that it appears the producer is testing WUG to see if they will stick together as a unit. It's also interesting that I-1 appears to have noticed WUG. Maybe the producer is deliberately developing WUG to be rivals of I-1? Rivalries have often been used to increase publicity in the entertainment industry.
Feb 14, 2014 8:54 PM
Mar 2012
Damn, poor Airi
Feb 14, 2014 9:46 PM

Jul 2013
Next episode is titled "Wonderful Friends". Like hell they're going to ditch Airi.

Rather than testing this or that, I believe Hayasaka was purposely harsh to them to make them realize that being a pro idol isn't all fun and cheery. If they want to be at I-1's level they need to step up their game. That's why in this episode, the theme of "why they become an idol" is so prevalent. Everyone was shown to be deliberating why they are even in WUG.

Airi's problem is that she's still doing it from a fan point of view, that much is clear. In every idol group there's always someone who's not particularly talented compared to the rest of the group yet is pivotal to the group thanks to their energy and ability to draw in people (think Go Hara from KARA or Yuri from SNSD). This episode made it clear that in terms of passion and hard work, Airi doesn't lose to anyone in the group. She just needs to redirect that passion as a fan to become a passion for being a pro.
Feb 14, 2014 10:43 PM

Nov 2012
poor airi.
i thought it was weird how hayasaka was talking about potatoes all the time..
Feb 14, 2014 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
Poor Airi, she was going to remove from the "Wake up, Girls" group by Hayasaka. I hope the other WUG members will do somethings about it.
Feb 14, 2014 11:41 PM

Sep 2013
That leg cross :p

Ow those poses.

No talent harsh, but it will help her grow I think.

He was pissed that 3 people couldn't make it?

Dammit Airi pull yourself together!

The cold hard truth...
Feb 15, 2014 7:18 AM

May 2010
I am cheering hard for Airi now. They care about 3 fans??? I-1 club sure is mindless. No wonder, a part of their motto is "Don't think", or something. I hope Airi
has some character development next episode, I want her to be badass.
Feb 15, 2014 9:11 AM

Feb 2014
this episode reminds me of Haruka from the idolm@ster (well these 2 is looks alike, idolm@ster episode 23 or 24 i think... kinda forgot :p ) when Haruka run away and back again, so i thought in the next episode Airi will be back or maybe the girls bring her back for sure, "10 minutes to decide", hayasaka just testing them, i'm note sure bout this but that's why he told it to tange and matsuda first

did you guys check out the WUG official site ? look at the pic at http://wakeupgirls.jp/
there is no Ai-chan, this is really suspicious :/
skourpyFeb 15, 2014 9:39 AM
Feb 15, 2014 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
The girls are going through intense training.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 15, 2014 7:43 PM
Jan 2014
Hey guys, I just noticed that Airi was removed from the headline picture of the official web!
http://wakeupgirls.jp/
Feb 15, 2014 11:25 PM

Nov 2012
wow you guys are right, airi was removed on the website.. maybe she will leave WUG after all.. or maybe that's just what they want us to believe.....
Feb 16, 2014 12:34 AM

Aug 2013
Hmm I don't know...the gap between Yoppi and Mayu in the pic seems suspicious. Maybe she won't come back immediately. After 2 episodes maybe?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 16, 2014 5:41 AM

Feb 2013
so many shots were fired
Feb 16, 2014 10:38 AM

Feb 2014
silverwalls said:
wow you guys are right, airi was removed on the website.. maybe she will leave WUG after all.. or maybe that's just what they want us to believe.....

they sure know how to make fans confuse
Feb 16, 2014 11:49 AM
Oct 2012
skourpy said:
silverwalls said:

they sure know how to make fans confuse

Its a nice attention to detail on the part of the team. As 5Cats stated last page, its the little things that makes this show enjoyable. Someone there is paying attention, and for story centered viewers (as opposed to sound centered or visual centered, all perfectly valid ways of watching animation), it makes it a lot of fun.
Feb 16, 2014 12:59 PM

Apr 2011
another great epd.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Feb 16, 2014 5:43 PM

Feb 2013
Yay, another good episode!

They should all quit instead of giving Airi the boot... Then they can ditch the prick and pick up where they left off. They guy knows what he's doing though, that much is clear.

I keep feeling like Mayu needs to step up and help the others improve. When all the other girls were sore and tired from training, she was just walking normally (obviously since she's done that kind of thing before).
Feb 16, 2014 9:23 PM

Aug 2012
God. this is really hard to watch. Their decision will decide if they really want airi. I mean she's not that good, but not everyone can master dancing fast. I really don't like this new guy. he's doing right but i don't like it
"I don't like Megane, I love them"

Feb 17, 2014 12:20 PM

Jan 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
I like Yoppi as a character, but I think she is beginning to realize that she isn't the leader type because Yoppi isn't the "ganbatte" type. Airi is the best suited to be the leader (once she gets over her inferiority). Nice foreshadow of that this episode.

Yoppi though is going to be the true problem in that she wants to be the center, she thought being the leader would do this (but the magazine explained that the leader is best supporting from behind), and she knows she can't be better than Mayu. Her getting over her inferiority complex will be the real test.

wow i'm not the only one that thought this lol
i also think airi has the character to be a leader more so than the other members
[right]
Feb 18, 2014 3:28 PM

Oct 2011
I think I-1 Club's manager is supposed to be an exaggeration of real life idol managers. There's no way Airi will be forced out of the group, but it should be interesting to see how WUG overcome the decision.
Feb 19, 2014 4:04 AM

Feb 2013
Every single time that dude crossed his legs I lol'd

Anyway....I'm a little confused by the ending of this. I feel like it was a sort of "forced" cliffhanger....

This dude is only in charge of them for a little bit, I don't see how he can just fire them, but maybe I didn't understand the contract that they signed.
Feb 20, 2014 9:39 PM

May 2013
Alright episode and IMO one of the weaker anime this season.
Feb 23, 2014 4:45 AM

Dec 2011
In some respects they needed that. Someone who will work them to exhaustion, rather than them just doing as much of, and what, they feel like doing.

Some people are motivated in different ways. For some of those girls his attitude will probably encourage them more. For others, as we see with Miyuu, it will discourage them.

On the other hand, the concept of cutting members from the group is the one thing above all others that I dislike about the idol industry - especially when the rest of the group don't have issues with the person. If someone is weaker or slower than the rest of the group (as Airi clearly is), they should be made to spend extra time training. If that doesn't work, push them even harder. If they can't cope with that, they can choose to leave. But it should be their decision entirely. Pushing someone to leave - even going to the extent of forcing them to go as he seemed to be doing at the end there, and as we have seen with I-1 a few times - is, in my view, wrong.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 26, 2014 4:36 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode which leaves unchanged the characteristics as defects, fortunately the only flaw is the design.
Plot that brings forward the concept of teams and how to grow quality. Narrative all too realistic, even have made the first step in the WUG that already the I1 are ready to mash, the world of idol is terrifcante as in any other field.
I can not wait to see the next episode.
May 3, 2014 7:02 AM

May 2012
Dat ending was bound to happen, but well I wonder what decision they'll make!
Jul 10, 2014 8:22 AM

Aug 2013
Hmmm.. I have mixed feelings about this.
Mar 13, 2016 4:18 AM

Apr 2009
I'm sure Airi will come back.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2017 3:24 PM

Jul 2014
Airi on the chopping block, I-1 sees WUG as a credible threat, crazy on the number game.
Sep 17, 2017 2:57 AM

Dec 2014
I'm probably suppose to hate this guy but I like how to the point he is. Airi is the dullest of all the characters and brings little to nothing to the table so lets kick her to the curve!
Sep 19, 2018 1:32 PM

Nov 2013
This producer dude is totally right. Airi is just useless, boring and talentless klutz. Throw her ass out!
Apr 29, 2020 10:49 AM

Feb 2018
Want to try to sang I-1 song
Jun 13, 2021 4:17 AM

Feb 2020
Poor Airi. I'm sorry for her.

SerafosMar 10, 11:14 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2014

59 by Rakabat »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2014

107 by koneroko »»
May 2, 2022 11:33 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2014

100 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 9:20 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2014

40 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 8:40 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2014

47 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.