Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2016 5:54 AM

Aug 2015
R9K said:
Once again I fell for the "ONE OF THE BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME!" trap.
Another case of an overly dedicated community praising an anime to be something it's simply not.

Can you explain yours self? I want to see your opinion about the show just to understand better.
Feb 4, 2016 12:30 AM

Jan 2016
I've already watched NGE at least twice and I love it, so I may be biased but I'd like to strike a blow for 25th and 26th episodes. :)
Yes, they leave a lot of question unanswered about Seele, the Angels and the Human Instrumentality Project.. questions which will be answered only in the second movie, "The End of Evangelion".
But I think that if you watched NGE thinking the main plot was "Giant pseudo-robots vs Angels" you've been misled. It never was. That was the setting, a very interesting setting indeed, of the real main plot which revolves around human spirit, the need and difficulties in relating to others (the Hedgehog's dilemma already mentioned in 4th episode), the struggle of all the characters in finding self worth and their "raison d'etre", the meaning of their life. NGE can be also considered a bildungsroman for Shinji and the viewer, who learn to accept responsibilities of adulthood (the Eva, metaphorically) and how to become an independent human being, not relying on the help and the approval of others anymore. The last two episodes also give a rather precise description of depression (Anno himself have been depressed so NGE is quite autobiographic).. and above all, the fight to overcome depression. I understand the disappointment about the unfinished plot.. I was too the first time I watched the series. But nevertheless I was also satisfied about the character development, the psychological insight and the analyze on those aforementioned issues.
In the end it all comes to the expectations we had about the anime.. if you expected an action mecha anime you may be frustrated by the last 2 episodes (and rightly so), if you looked for a psychological anime you'd be pleased.
manicheoFeb 4, 2016 12:54 AM
Feb 6, 2016 11:04 AM

Sep 2014
I liked the end, they were outta money to make the end they wanted, they could go complete cliche or mediocre, but instead they were bold to made one of the most iconic and memorable end of all time...

They knew it would be controversial, but they did it anyway.

Some will love some will hate for what it is.
Smoke Weed Everyday
Feb 9, 2016 5:50 PM

Aug 2014
This Post is my Opinion on the whole series Neon Genesis Evangelion + the movie End of Evangelion.

There will be a score for the original 26 episodes and the other is for the movie only and the final score will be Episodes 1-24 + the movie EoE .

- Animation : considering the release year, this series animation is good - very good (7.5), especially the movie (8.5), (8)

- Art : The design and some of the symbols were good, character design, mecha. (9)

- Soundtrack - Great OST
- Voice Acting - Excellent Voice acting, one of the best.
- Sound Effects - Very good

Sounds : as a whole sound in this anime are well done, the opening and ending song also give a good bonus, Best ED song in all anime. (11)

- Visually great anime considering its release date.

- Development - Great character development, we can see how much effort they put into the characters. They even made those last two episodes just to represent the mind of those characters and how they view the world from their inner minds.
- Characters : Great Cast, I liked almost all the characters, there wasn't that amazing character that would become one of my absolute favorites, but all the characters were very good, especially Shinji and Asuka. (10)

- Story - A Great complex story, I admit I'm not a fan of Humans Vs strange beings shows, but the story in this anime was very good, it was interesting for most of the episodes, some predictable things(early episodes), some unexplained things left out, but nevertheless it had great themes and it had an Amazing dialogue. (9)
- Themes - Great themes,complex and a challenging plot. (movie ending increased this from 8 to 9)

- Entertainment - Very entertaining I never felt bored in any episode. (9)
- Re-watch Value - High
- Directing - Very good
- Value/Impact : (10)

- Best Episode : Episode 24, an excellent episode by all means. (+)
- Worst Episode : I dont remember well , but i think Episode 17

- Overall : I think Neon Genesis Evangelion is an important anime to watch for every anime fan, it is a classic for sure, a great watch, for now i will have it in my favorites.

- Rating : NGE ( Ep 1-26 ) : 8.5/10
EoE ( Movie ) : 9.5/10

Final Rating NGE ( Ep 1-24 + Movie ending ) : 9.6/10
Dr-EyesMar 20, 2016 11:35 AM
Feb 14, 2016 11:18 AM

Jun 2015
Artistically the last 2 episodes are great...but they are a big "fuck you" to everyone watching.
Feb 16, 2016 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
I laughed the entire time they congratulated shinji, it totally sounds like a sarcasm in my ears, lol.

"Congratulation shthead, you just got gainax'd"

That is certainly unique way to end a series, but overall I can't see myself giving it any score higher than 6.
Mar 2, 2016 1:16 AM

Aug 2014
I think the ending was too much, it should be less than 2 episodes for this psycho reunion ...
<center> </center>
Mar 12, 2016 10:02 AM

Aug 2007
This is still one of my favorite endings in an anime, personally. I don't really care that there are so many unanswered questions, the angels, the third impact etc. None of that really mattered to me by the end because this is a story about a boy coming to terms with his depression and his life. He set up a wall within himself to hide from rejection and pain, to close off any intimacy with anyone in fear of being hurt.

When he finally realizes that it's okay to accept yourself, it's okay to love yourself, there are many possibilities for him in the world, piloting the Eva was not his only reason for existing. When his glass wall shatters, everyone congratulates him on it.

I couldn't help but feel emotionally touched by that. Not just Shinji, but a lot of the cast had to look at themselves in the proverbial mirror and accept who they were and what they wanted in life as well.

NGE isn't so much an action mecha series to me as it's an incredibly creative and engaging character study on mental illness and depression. For however flawed it still may be, I still feel it's an iconic series that deserves the accolades it has received, but also deserving of some criticism as well. It's the kind of series that anyone can have their own interpretation of, this just happened to be what I got out of it personally.

Mar 28, 2016 5:52 AM

May 2013
LOL WHAT A FUCKING JOKE.

In all seriousness, this series wasn't bad. In my opinion this show does have it's merits that I can praise, but my god the last two episodes... This and Berserk goes down as THE worst anime endings I have ever seen. Overall the series was good, the ending on the hand? Fucking awful.

The entire last two episodes was 40 minutes explaining a shitty concept that could have been easily said in 5 minutes. Also the lack of money going into this series in the last 5 episodes was really obvious. There were a frequent amount of stills, and re-used scenes just to save money, and to add on that, they add a huge pretentious monologue to resolve the "deep" emotions and feelings that Shinji and all the characters had all along.

Doing that does not justify an ending, it just comes off as lazy. Overall I give this series a 7/10. It is a good series, but not one I would re-watch, nor HIGHLY recommend. Well on to End of Evangelion I go...
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Mar 28, 2016 10:39 AM
Jan 2013
What. The. Fuck. Lol. This is probably going to get a 5/10 or worse.
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Apr 9, 2016 3:07 AM

Mar 2015
Woah, how can a person tolerate almost 30 minutes of teenage bitching. At least I think the congratulations were directed at the viewers for being able to go through it.
Good series nonetheless. I like the rebuilds more though.
7/10
Apr 9, 2016 6:00 AM

Nov 2013
That was lame ending but omedetou anyway.
Apr 12, 2016 7:48 PM

Oct 2015
These Kids have freaked me out these passed few Episodes
Yo Pi'Erre
Apr 20, 2016 9:58 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
This is it.
The infamous NGE ending i've so heard about.
Wasn't that bad for what it was seriously.
It was really interesting. Now, it's time to watch the movie.

8.5/10 (but ill give it a 9 bcuz we cant give 8.5)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 24, 2016 9:28 AM

Apr 2016
Congratulations
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2016 1:28 PM

Dec 2015

What is life

Where did my brain go

Help.
May 29, 2016 2:52 PM

Aug 2015
YokuneSan said:

What is life

Where did my brain go

Help.

Now go watch End of Evangelion and watch your brain explode TWICe AS HARD :D
May 30, 2016 5:14 AM

Dec 2015
LowOfSolipsism said:
YokuneSan said:

What is life

Where did my brain go

Help.

Now go watch End of Evangelion and watch your brain explode TWICe AS HARD :D

*screams internally*
May 31, 2016 7:46 AM
May 2014
I'm so glad I watched the move End of Evangelion then watch the last two episodes.
"If I combine a gun and a knife.I'll create a gunknife."
Jul 16, 2016 9:32 PM

Jul 2016
The ending was superb~ Thank you, Mr. Anno, for this ending.

Seriously, people need to stop obsessing with every details of NGE. Everything was meaningless. What is the point of private closed world? There was no deep and hidden messages at all. The message was plain and simple. Hikikomori, get out of your seclusion and living the real life. The world of your imagination is actually the world of nothing if you close off from everyone. Running away from the pain is even more painful than the pain itself.

That's why we haven't lived in post-Evangelion era at all.
"A good man, in his darkest yearning, Is still aware of virtue’s ways." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jul 22, 2016 8:05 PM

Feb 2016
Wow I actually enjoyed the ending because they were able to make it pretty unique if you consider that they were running out of money in the end obviously. The whole series left a very strong impression on me. One of the reasons why I love this series are the beautiful characterizations of the MCs, the emotional outbursts of the characters which felt so realistic thanks to the great voice actors and the awesome fight scenes with their epic moments. I will definitely rewatch NGE more than once just to be able to understand the whole thing better hopefully. Now I'm very excited to see the true ending of NGE with The End of Evangelion and I also hope that the remaining questions will be answered there.
SilentSword114Jul 23, 2016 10:37 AM
Aug 6, 2016 12:32 PM
Jul 2016
Zatoichi said:
Stupid just stupid ending
the last three episodes of this series were BS!!!! psychological BS!!
7/10 disappointing.

Amen to this post. Would have preferred to see the series end in episode 24 and have episode 25 and 26 be 23minutes of a black background with the words "to be continued..." at the lower right corner of the screen.
Aug 16, 2016 2:48 PM

Aug 2016
Woah what a weird but epic ride was this anime, i liked the ending even tho there are many questions left but i heard that the movie should fix that so no problem there.

This anime has revived my passion for the medium, i needed this.
Aug 28, 2016 4:04 PM
Oct 2015
Idk if ep24,25 supposed to be mindfuck episode, but for me it just feels like repetitive boring psychiatrist interview, there's still many plothole need to explain.

watching this series for third time, but I'm still not really feeling it.
7/10
Oct 20, 2016 8:15 PM

May 2015
huh? that was the ending? aight hopefully the EoE movie can make me feel better lmao.

ill pretend the last few episodes didnt happen and rate it a solid 7/10

Edit: I just saw the gintama parody of the last ep and it made me fucking LOL so hard xD
peanutncookieOct 20, 2016 8:25 PM
Oct 23, 2016 12:12 AM

Sep 2016
man lots of psychological messages conveyed, i guess its time to move to the movies to learn the last hidden truths
Facta Non Verba
Nov 2, 2016 2:10 PM

Jun 2016
Wow! That was a great episode! I loved how they explored Shinni's insecurities regaridng his idendity and how this identity is solely based on being an Eva pilot. Once he is not a pilot, he sees no value in himself, thus no reason for existing. It's something anyone can experience and I loved the universality of this!

The altetnative perspective where Shinji, Rei, and Asuka are happy children and Misato is their teacher was like fresh air. The idea of the possibility of change, the fragile nature of the 'truth' and the way they showed it was awesome. I liked the conversation where all the others told Shinji that it's just a choice of perspective that sunny days bring happiness whereas rainy days are all gloomy. It can be turned upside down and I absolutely love it when anime series challenge the teality we perceive to be the truth.

I loved the series as a whole and I'm so glad I finally watched it after ignoring it for a long time! <3
Nov 5, 2016 11:57 PM

Dec 2015
@karineyn It's nice to read some such a positive reaction displayed about the epilogue (here, IRL it's more common). And in those times of shiny animation, it's great to find newcomers choosing Shinseiki Evangelion series over the Shin Evangelion one.

karineyn said:
I loved the series as a whole and I'm so glad I finally watched it after ignoring it for a long time!

To that, an obvious answer: congratulations.

If you're interested in the movie who was made as a second chance conclusion (there was no money left at the end of the series, forcing a few ideas out), be aware that it's not the "incredible" "definitive*" "replacement" of the 25-26. It is more part "what should have been" and part Anno's answer to a certain category of "fan" 's death threats (the movie even featured a "Anno, I'll kill you"). As someone perfectly satiated with the original, I was disappointed. The Shin Eva movies seem to be a better "revenge" on those "fans" (for me) even if they're harder to watch..
*a member of the staff even stated that what we got an end that was pretty much intended on TV.

edit, since it's my first post here:
Special mention for the final two scenes where each of Shinji's images of others talk to him. The moment he starts to realize things is great, and the version of the opening we hear behind makes it absolutely wonderful.

Episode enjoyment: 5/5 You can't leave this episode without feeling incredibly good.
Series score: 10
Rei_IIINov 29, 2016 9:36 PM
Nov 5, 2016 11:59 PM

Mar 2016
Congratulations

If this is your first time finishing Neon Genesis Evangelion then go watch End of Evangelion to become even more confused. Then Watch the three Rebuild movies because I think they're even better than NGE and EoE. By the way Asuka is best girl.
Nov 6, 2016 1:59 PM

Jun 2016
@Rei366
Wow, I had no idea! I didn't know that the last two episodes created such a fuss. I'm sincerely shocked because those two episodes are my favorites. I like the series a lot, but I put it in my faves because of those two. The analysis of how we perceive ourselves and others; how truth is constructed and can be deconstructed through different perspectives... it was awesome.

Death threats, huh? I haven't seen the movies yet. But I'll. I'm also sstisfied with the TV series and most probably will not like the movies as much. No problem, though. An anime fan's gotta do what she's gotta do ^_^
Nov 6, 2016 2:11 PM

Dec 2015
@karineyn Perfectly right. I was already aware (because of a paper that wrote about the show) that the end was different and I am almost certain that I would have loved the epsodes even more if I had not been "warned" before.

Yes, death threats from japanese "fans" to a man who was already living through a depressive phase. Like I said, you will see a few of them in a montage during the conclusion movie.

I forgot to point out an earlier work of the director in my previous post: Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster, an OVA series. His first take on robots and common tropes (who would of course be diverted). No analysis like in Evangelion but an excellent work. (sorry, I might be a little too fan of Anno)

@karineyn About Kare Kano, he did adapt the manga but he bailed out toward the end after some dissension between the mangaka (who didn't recognize his work anymore) and himself. I still have to watch it (especially since it costs only 10€).
Rei_IIINov 6, 2016 2:31 PM
Nov 6, 2016 2:26 PM

Jun 2016
@Rei366
Yeah. After your post, I read a few things about Anno's life and some of the threats. Interesting really. People take some things too far.

No worries! Actually, thank you for the recommendation. I also checked out his works and saw he also wrote Kare Kano. Didn't know that :) now that I think about it, I remember some stream of consciousness in that show, even though it's a romcom and much more light-hearted.
Nov 6, 2016 4:14 PM

May 2009
TrashDax said:
Artistically the last 2 episodes are great...but they are a big "fuck you" to everyone watching.

Personally, I feel that the last two episodes are the true ending and End Of is the "fuck you".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 10, 2016 10:56 AM

Dec 2015
An interesting interview between Anno and Tomino (Gundam's creator): https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/11/08/interview-hideaki-anno-vs-yoshiyuki-tomino-animage-071994/
Several noticeable things, since it was during/right before Eva's pre-production.

Victory Gundam spoilers.

@GlennMagusHarvey Toward the "fans" bad reactions, certainly.
The original end was probably just a statement/critic (after all, the guy was already speaking about the animation industry in this 1994 article). And it was a fitting conclusion after the continuous progression of the show

@Pixel_Vapour Another one, great! (and you're only in the minority online) It's funny how lots of people will tell you to AVOID the TV epilogue by all means, either replacing it by the episodes 25' and 26' or at least watching it only after the later versions.

@Nano1124 Welcome among the ones who liked the finale ! If you want a bit of context to Eva's making, the interview above has Anno talking about his views on the anime industry a year before Eva's broadcast.
Rei_IIIJan 5, 2017 3:13 AM
Nov 18, 2016 4:11 AM
Dec 2012
So.. that's where the gintama scene came from, congratulations haha.
ending was unique but felt really rushed nonetheless I get now why people praise this anime.
Nov 20, 2016 2:47 AM

Nov 2016
I'm in the minority but I really liked the last two episodes. Really shows you the inner turmoil that each character has and shows how they could get out of it. In the end I give this series a 9/10 and in my fifth favourite anime spot.
Nov 29, 2016 5:14 PM

Aug 2014
What the fuck was that?
Ok, Shinji finally accepted himself for who he is but how did we get to this point?

I loved this for the most part but man, these last two episodes really didn't do it for me. Hopefully the movie will offer a much better conclusion for me.
7/10
KashKetchumNov 29, 2016 8:19 PM
Dec 15, 2016 8:10 AM
Feb 2015
Ehhh? WTF? is that it? ending?
episode might be good for character dev but seriously it feels like why did i even bothered to watch all those previous episode just to watch this? and what actually happened just after epi 24? and what now after this?
like 1 frame used for 10 secs sometime a single frame is being used for 2-3mintues even the soundtrack is repeating nothing else but leaving that aside i didn't get any good vibe after finishing it like with other good anime.
Dec 15, 2016 9:59 AM

Dec 2015
@Terminator_Neon Maybe because it is one of those great works who leave no "good vibe" like some others. (well, I felt something through Shinji's self realization in the end anyway). The thing is the main point of the show / story was Shinji's evolution and interactions with others (and other characters behaviour/thoughts), from episode 1 already (even if it it became stronger in the second half).

@Hinata What you just saw was the the Human Instrumentality Project characters were talking about previously (if you didn't pay attention to what Gendô, the Seele and Rei were talking about throughout the series, and in ep.25).
If you don't mind going through it again from another point-of-view (exterior instead of the cast's internal world), you can watch the film "The End of Evangelion". Most people will even tell you to skip the TV double finale though I think it would mean missing part of the experience (to get the series ending makes the movie more satisfying). Anyway, if you came for the robots, the action and the sci-fi "plot", you know what to do. Just be aware that it will resolve the story and answer some questions but not every mystery (a lot of them were revealed in the TV show through various scenes, dialogues, visual hints left to your attention).
Rei_IIIJan 13, 2017 1:12 AM
Dec 29, 2016 4:30 AM

Dec 2016
Finally finished it.

Well....these last 3 episodes were a big fat WTF. But I always knew I was watching something unconventional and standard-defying, so it didn't matter and I like how in the end everything was up to the viewer interpretation.

And I loved the final random dude who came outta nowhere. He looked so....dunno how to call it, maybe "godlike", literally....an angel. His character design was so fit to this nature.
Jan 4, 2017 8:22 PM

Feb 2013
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's how the Evangelion anime ends? Wow. I am super glad to finally have context on that congratulations scene. Although I am a bit confused by it. When they were all congratulating Shinji that wasn't the real world right? That was him still stuck in his own world right? Kaji was there who we presume is dead. Asuka seems fine too.

So this is how it originally ended. I am a loss of words.

I like it. It's very different and unique. I never ever would've guessed it would've ended like this.

I heard that there were budget problems at the time and that's why we got this. To fix this they made The End of Evangelion movie to correct their ending. Well time to watch that. I heard that the movie is a true mind fuck. Can't wait to see what happens!

I love that that smile Shinji makes in the very end was in the OP since the very beginning. It must've been planed this way from the very beginning.

♩Fly me to the moon♩~~~

Gonna miss this ED. I really like it. Better than the OP in my opinion.

10/10 would watch again
Recommend to everyone to watch at least once.
Nano1124Jan 4, 2017 8:29 PM
Jan 5, 2017 8:49 AM

May 2009
It wasn't the real world, but it simply represents Shinji making a choice to move on and move forward in his circumstance, in contrast to basically trying to avoid coming of age.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 12, 2017 6:28 PM

Sep 2015
WTF is going tho this was better than the second to last episode. I liked that alt world too bad it was short, I recall actually reading the manga based on the alt world ages ago but sadly never finished.
Jan 18, 2017 11:43 PM

Dec 2013
These last few episodes were pretty good. Unconventional, sure, but intriguing all the same. Shinji's mind has been healed now, I hope.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 19, 2017 7:10 PM
Jun 2016
Okay so the ending wasn't the best, but if you think about it, it's kind of a philosophical masterpiece
Jan 28, 2017 1:04 PM

Feb 2016
Tenth said:
The final two episodes was the worst, found myself so bored so only that lowers the rating, overall it was good but I really don't get the people that rate this anime as a masterpiece.

right? I mean like yea we get it, people have some problems(mostly parental issues) and use defense mechanisms. Then you stop being a pussy and get congratulations...

I didnt lower my rating tho since the portayal of their psyche was very accurate, its just boring. Honestly the payoff wasnt worth the buildup for me but I can see how it could be interesting to somebody else.
SpaghettiSpikeJan 28, 2017 1:07 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 1, 2017 11:03 AM
Mar 2016
The ending actually is fairly decent and while I wish that they took a different direction, it still works really well.

The ending contains existentialism and just other psychological banter that really puts forward the idea of Shinji ascending past mankind with his fusion of the Eva (as well as the major psychological downfalls). The last angel was defeated and while there are still questions that need to be answered, the main focus is on his psychological breakdown and realization that he has warped reality to not face the facts.

Have to go to class, but, this ending could have an extremely detailed breakdown of what the show was trying to convey. It is confusing as fuck if you aren't ready to grasp some really abstract concepts about civilization as a whole and ready to delve into the psychological aspects to the damage these Evas had on the children.
Feb 14, 2017 5:05 AM
Mar 2016
I loved this. I know it mightn't be what they wanted and were limited in there budget. But this anmine is fucking incredible. It's so breathtakingly original, like honestly. Anno is completely genius I applause his masterpiece. The way the questions were left unanswered made me ponder my own thoughts of what these angels really are? And also gendo ikaris true intentions. The way shinji mentally breaks down and puts his mind back together to become satisfied with his mental state left me in awe 0_o this is an anime I won't forget anytime soon.

Thank you for all the effort and struggle it took to create this, it was a pleasure to watch :) and I appreciated every second
Feb 14, 2017 5:29 AM

Dec 2015
@Heavenpeircer Isn't Gendô's ambition unveiled during the second half of the series? (Human Instrumentality, Ikari Yui, etc)

Also, the angels are the offspring of Adam (opposed to the Lilins, offspring of Lilith), like it is said in the series. You even get some DNA's information in the beginning, and one of the episodes shows an embryon before it awakens. I admit more infos can be found in The End of Evangelion (another peek on the final events you can subrepticely see in the TV finale).

What else... for your acceptance of those great two episodes: congratulations.

edit @khradein : you can watch the movie to explore more of the instrumentality. The series conclusion is about Shinji's changing mind only.

@Paleshika The movie The End is what you want, it gives the "physical" side of the Instrumentality. Though you won't get any of the "answers" I saw you were seeking. A good deal of them is for you to get yourself by connecting the dots while others are simply omitted entirely (because the post-apocalyptic monsters battles were just a canvas for Shinji's tale, I guess). Example: the thing in the Central Dogma is Lillith and the embryon retrieved by Kaji in Gendô's hand is Adam (those are known infos), what isn't said is that both are "emissaries" of an ancient species who sends those beings to populate planets. In theory, where one type goes, the other doesn't (there is even a safety trigger to avoid it: the lances). But on Earth, both came. Lillith gave birth to what would later lead to humanity while Adam was stucked in sleep or something. Humans awakened Adam and the Angels appear. etc
The comic is pretty to look at but it won't explain things, it's just an alternative take on Anno's tale by his character-designer.

Nice to read that you had a good time.

@Nishi_23 Based on your previous sayings, you really should thank the subtitles timer. XD
(I had imagined you would give it a 7~8/10 ^^")
Also, The End of Evangelion won't clear anything for you if you didn't get clues in the series before since it relies heavily on them. (and since the TV show's good direction and animations didn't offer you any pleasure, I guess you won't be able to enjoy the movie simply for its visuals).

@Raizel "Congratulations!"
More seriously, the finale is Shinji breaking away from those "negative things" and making a positive choice. The optimistic "message" isn't negative. And negative vibes came through almost every episode, it didn't start later.
As for "The End", it's literally the end of Evangelion, from another point-of-view. What happened here, happened there. Though people often argue that Shinji doesn't make the same choice for the Human Instrumentality Plan in the TV and movie endings (I thought that they were the same).

@CatSoul I see, my bad. ^^"
If you really want to go down that road, you can still check some Girlfriend of Steel II version (either the visual novel, or the manga based on it).

@aStrayFox Maybe because Dual 's was partially trying to evocate this show.

LoneWarWolf said:
at least have another episode showing the aftermath at leas

I always thought the answer of Shinji to the Project was obvious in "End of TV" but you have the episodes 25' and 26' if you feel like they are a required watch. (even though you do not have the "aftermath" or epilogue you're asking for.

@Boobsftw
This episode, especially the finale, was so exciting I couldn't calm myself after I completed the show.
I also didn't sleep between the evening I saw the 25 and the next morning because the wait was just too strong.

@dannymilk Wait to see it before claiming such thing. ^^
Rei_IIIAug 21, 2018 3:55 AM
Feb 18, 2017 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
Finally completed eva...well that was surely something

A rather anticlimactic ending after the sudden escalation of the plot, leaving many loose ends. However, it works in a way showing how the characters confronted their insecurities and delving deep into their minds, especially it was interesting to see how Shinji realized perception of himself is a matter of perspective and how that can be changed by learning to love or having a better impression of himself. However, that surely doesn't excuse the unanswered questions.

NGE's strongest point was surely, the characters. Each character is flawed in a way(guess due to Anno's condition just before the series), starting from prideful, egoistic Asuka, quiet mysterious Rei, to a self loathing Shinji. All of their psychological exploration was really interesting to see, although they could have done away with a little bit of less focus on Shinji and more on other characters.

Abt the story, NGE works in a way to serve as a setting to know about the characters, and I can't really say much here since there were still loose ends after the ending. Also some coincidences happening too easily, like the angel attacking just when Shinji was leaving. Wasn't too fond of the pacing too.

All in all, NGE is a cult classic and despite its flaws, it accomplished certain feats you can't overlook. 8/10 for the series.
Pages (17) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

68 by Miscanthus »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

194 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 3:33 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

245 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 18, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 17, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

290 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 16, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.