Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2012 4:14 PM
Oct 2011
DaBigD said:
Ok...that was...creepy...i guess. Mr. Last Angel is in love with Shinji. And Shinji accepts his love. No more shounen-ai please.

WTB more Asuka
i think it was less about romantic love, on Shinji's side anyways, then about have someone accept him completely and totally
Oct 13, 2012 2:09 PM

Sep 2010
well....... that was gay. didnt liked it
Oct 22, 2012 4:45 AM

Jun 2012
I don't agree that Kaworu is gay, in hope for the prayer's of god he is not "gay", in the evangelion 3 movie.
also for me i just think that is the way he act's.

now i am not Homofobic, but i don't like kaworu x Shinji
Nov 17, 2012 4:54 AM

Aug 2011
"No homo", they say.
Dec 6, 2012 4:45 PM
May 2012
vytah said:
And when Kaworu's head fell off and sunk in water (or whatever liquit it was), I immediately thought about Hidamari Sketch (ie obligatory Yuno's bath and the end of each episode) and laughed.

Oh God, now I'm going to end up thinking of severed heads at the end of every Hidamari episode.
Dec 6, 2012 4:54 PM

Oct 2011
sfaddic182 said:
well....... that was gay. didnt liked it

Wow, you're a shallow little man.
Dec 10, 2012 10:49 AM

May 2012
New child is gay and is an angel meaning the angels are gay... It also seems Asuka is totally broken mentally... But yea really lol that ending...

Well disliked this, didn't fit in the whole story but well the last angel died, what will the 2 last episodes be about?
Dec 15, 2012 9:16 PM

Aug 2012
...What was this.
Shinji acted like he knew the Fifth Child longer than he actually did.
Dec 15, 2012 9:33 PM

Jun 2009
ThreePercent said:
...What was this.
Shinji acted like he knew the Fifth Child longer than he actually did.

It's important to understand where Shinji is coming from here. In his mind no one cares for him, they just throw him into Eva Unit 01 and make him suffer. He was forced to crush one of his friends, Asuka gives him hell all the time, and his dad seems to pay more attention to Rei than him and only contacted him to pilot the Eva. Now, when someone comes to him and seems to actually appreciate him as a human being you bet he is going to grow attached to them no matter how short a time period it is. People want to be loved....and it's no different here. I would say he also saw Kaworu as a sort of "escape" as well.

Keep in mind that merely stating this from Shinji's point of view. It's clear that Misato, for example, really does genuinely care about him...but with his broken way of thinking he just doesn't see it. And, in her weird way, Asuka cared too. As well as others.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 24, 2013 12:58 AM

Aug 2010
lol, the gay angel.
Feb 6, 2013 11:39 PM

May 2012
Mfw i never knew how many homophobes were on MAL
Feb 12, 2013 8:08 AM

Jul 2012
Wow, lots of immaturity in this thread. In my opinion, Kaworu represented a type of Jesus figure for Shinji. The only being in the entire Universe who actually listened to him and, as far as we can tell, understood him for who he was entirely. Kaworu's "way" of being does not necessarily mean he had homosexual feelings for Shinji, or vice verse (though, there would be nothing wrong with that) just that he represented and acted upon true unconditional love (which would be key). It could also be argued that Kaworu had no specific gender, as the Angel's of before never had a gender to begin with (again, as far as we can tell), therefore it can be concluded that Kaworu, intrinsically, was neither a male or female, which could have also played a part with his behavior.

Indeed, it is a never ending game of speculation, but I rather enjoy dealing with such ambiguity; being able to consider the large spectrum of possibilities instead of just merely "having" all the answers in my hand. That is how life is in reality, afterall.
Feb 25, 2013 11:24 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode.

Though, I wish Shinji would have another intimate moment with Asuka. I feel he hasn't made up with anyone.
Mar 2, 2013 7:39 AM
Sep 2012
WELL IM CONFUSED! i dont even care about the homo moments cause tbh shinji was lonely a f**k but still, all that dialogue and i just couldnt follow it, once i finish the series off to the eva wiki i go.
Mar 17, 2013 5:35 PM
Apr 2012
I don't really understand all the people that are calling this a good episode or even a good anime still. For me this anime has been degrading the last few episodes to be honest.. Nothing makes sense anymore and the whole plot has just become fucked up. They have been fighting the angels for 23 episodes to prevent them from reaching Adam and now suddenly SEELE just casually sends in an angel to Adam? Adam is no longer Adam but Lillith? And why is this angel different from the other angels? Shinji's father is not human, or at least not a normal human?
Ah whatever it must just be me not understanding it as everyone else is raving about this episode. But if you people do understand anything i'd appreciate if someone could explain.
Morani90Mar 17, 2013 6:20 PM
Mar 18, 2013 8:04 AM

Oct 2008
learn2google
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Mar 20, 2013 4:17 PM

Jan 2013
CitizenGeek said:
Episode 24 is by far my favourite episode in the series. It's immensely powerful!

Those that are using words like "shonen-ai" about this episode really, really don't understand it at all. Labels like that totally cheapen the series and the experience. Shinji was sexually attracted to Kaworu, but this is an important character point not just some fan service shonen-ai ...

lol you apparently didnt understand this episode too well either. I highly doubt Gainax was trying to prove a 14 year old boy was sexually attracted to Kaworu. I think the point was he was emotionally attracted or in "love" with him, as he could relate to him. I saw no signs of Shinji being sexually attracted to him.

either way, didnt enjoy this ep too much. I dunno why they decide to pull this crap on the 24th episode of the series.
Apr 12, 2013 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
Oh this series and how it explains itself, and it works in it's own little universe, but to the viewer it makes no sense at all. I'm glad I bought the series with the directors cut episodes. Maybe those 3 extra minutes will help everything make sense.
Apr 20, 2013 4:21 PM

Sep 2011
Ughhh. This episode really pissed me off.

Apr 29, 2013 9:44 PM
Feb 2011
Whaaat? Lilim and and Adam being 'Lilith' and SEELE sending an Angel to Nerv? IDGI. Ugh thank God for the Eva wikis. Oh, and this episode explains why Shinji didn't feel weird after Asuka kissing him and stuff. At least there's one thing explained.
May 10, 2013 9:44 AM

Feb 2012
WOW this episode was really good but that info O_O

Thoughts from Episode 24

ADAM sure is mysterious and this kid "The Fifth Children" Nagase Kaoru. I like his personality and his character desiign was cool. He singging in top of that rock was pretty cool way of introducing him. And that guys was probably "Final Angel" And he doesn't have soul when he said that Rei is same like him. Were he also clone made of ADAM or Lilith now like Kaoru calls it. Kaoru calls human beans "Lilim" and he was also born from ADAM like Rei was. So Gendo is no human and he is something else interesting.

That battle with Kaoru and Shinji were really good. Gainax sure like to use those over 3 min repeating same picture and characters don't move. So now we at least know how "Third Impact" could be created if Angel reaches Lilith and that would be results.

Misato becomes watching other guys haha :P

Best parts: Shinji fighting with Kaoru. Kaoru's appereances.
May 10, 2013 9:52 AM

Feb 2012
hmm
May 18, 2013 11:34 AM

Dec 2012
not sure if gay or just hardcore bromance
May 26, 2013 4:57 AM
Jul 2018

What the hell was that? Kaworu died, not able to see him fight. He's an angel? They should have just let Kaworu stayed few more longer. >_____< Gosh. Shounen-Ai
Another scene where I thought I accidentally pressed the paused button of my player.
Jun 2, 2013 2:18 PM

Mar 2012
The mind fuck is great, but I wish it was throughout the show, I feel like i'm watching another show even though it's still Evangelion. Hoping for a good finish

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 2, 2013 2:20 PM

Jan 2012
Venom900 said:
The mind fuck is great, but I wish it was throughout the show, I feel like i'm watching another show even though it's still Evangelion. Hoping for a good finish

I suggest watching End of Evangelion now instead of ep. 25 and 26.
Jun 2, 2013 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
Unforunately it's too late, already watched episode 25 before I saw your advice...starting to regret it a little

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 21, 2013 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
Gay/bisexual people don't exist exclusively in shonen-ai and yaoi :/ There's nothing wrong with representing that in an anime.
I tend to think that Shinji was attracted to Kaworu, although, I think Kaworu's love was more platonic. Of course, that's up to interpretation.
Kaworu himself, according to me, defies labels like 'gay', considering he's not even human. I'm not even sure he could be assigned a gender like 'male'.
Anyway, I love this episode. I felt so bad for Shinji.
Jun 22, 2013 4:52 PM
May 2013
So Shinji is gay ... it didn't surprise me.
This episode is so mind blowing I couldn't understand almost anything... the first half of the series was alright, nothing unbearable for mind there ,but the last half sure it compensates the lack of mind blowing of the first half.

Bison- said:
Venom900 said:

I suggest watching End of Evangelion now instead of ep. 25 and 26.

Hmm... I think I will do that,I hope I won't regret this decision ...
Jun 28, 2013 1:45 PM

Mar 2013
I found it ironic they used ode to joy for the majority of the episode.
Jun 30, 2013 1:53 AM

Dec 2012
This was the first episode where I just went to pure WTF and decided to give up on using my brain at all. The introduction of the Fifth Child, Kaoru was too short-lived though. We didn't even get to see much scenes on how their friendship developed, and Shinji already 'loves' him. Maybe I just dislike yaoi/shounen-ai, but damn, this episode is disappointing.
Jul 5, 2013 12:37 PM

Nov 2011
I haven't commented on the past few episodes, so this will just catch up. Eeeeeuh, where did all this pretentiousness come from when the show was just fine befoe?

Shinji's a weak, feminine male with, apparently, not enough male influence in his life. He would be naturally be susceptible to Nagisa's passes, but the show introduced the new character so late that their relationship had no time to develop. From what we see, he practically shows up out of the blue to say he loves Shinji and ask him to kill him an episode later. That had the potential to be really emotional, but it was just too rushed and ended up seeming so pointless. :<

I'm sure the manga takes the time to do that (I'll have to check it out of the library next time I'm there), but I'm not sure if it could correct the bad writing that has cropped up lately. :\ Talking heads, really? And all this stuff about Adam's first wife and man creating men in his own image and euh. It's irreverent to begin with, but I would be more sympathetic if the writing was more capable. It almost seems like they use jargon to make the show more difficult to follow than it needs to be in an attempt to seem deeper or more intelligent. Euh.

This is probably more of a subjective thing, but the Handel piece didn't fit at all with Asuka's emotional breakdown. I had to burst out laughing there. The classical music doesn't merge well with the rest of the soundtrack or, really, the scenes in my opinion. I just find it a little cheesy, hehehe.

and NO Pen Pen! The only character I care about, nooooo!
Jul 25, 2013 3:26 PM

Jun 2013
This anime just keeps confusing me. I can barely think. I like to think I'm not a clueless idiot and this anime shamelessly keeps making me feel stupid.

Damn it, why did some people have to flood the thread with homophobic comments? I mean, seriously, this episode had a lot more to offer than only those "gay moments". Can't believe that was the only thing you thought was worth mentioning.
Jul 25, 2013 3:32 PM

Jun 2013
Cathedral said:
(...)
Shinji's a weak, feminine male with, apparently, not enough male influence in his life. He would be naturally be susceptible to Nagisa's passes, but the show introduced the new character so late that their relationship had no time to develop. From what we see, he practically shows up out of the blue to say he loves Shinji and ask him to kill him an episode later. That had the potential to be really emotional, but it was just too rushed and ended up seeming so pointless. :<

(...)

This is probably more of a subjective thing, but the Handel piece didn't fit at all with Asuka's emotional breakdown. I had to burst out laughing there. The classical music doesn't merge well with the rest of the soundtrack or, really, the scenes in my opinion. I just find it a little cheesy, hehehe.
(...)

My thoughts basically.
Aug 10, 2013 12:10 PM
Apr 2013
Now i don't take the "love" as in a sexual way but pure love. Angels are genderless so it is from a larger sense.
Aug 13, 2013 5:25 AM

Jan 2013
I want to know what will happen now?Because they killed the last angel...
Btw shinji is gay? Omg xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 14, 2013 5:32 AM

Jul 2013
Still haven't seen any eye in a hand thing ... I guess that must be directors cut stuff lol. Kinda glad I haven't lol.

I absolutely adored this episode!

Kaworu was amazing! I can't believe he died ... "but I loved him"~

He just loved mankind and not just Shinji I think. Shinji clearly liked him back because he showed such kindness to him, something no one has ever really afforded him before ... I don't think it was necessarily supposed to be gay at all tbh. Sometimes people just get overwhelmed and don't always know how to take people being nice to them when they aren't used to it.

The classical music goes so well with this series, they should've used it more.

I agree, a lot of what was said on this thread came across as a bit homophobic which did quite amaze me, especially in this day and age.

Especially when this was seen earlier in the series.
stephtastropheAug 14, 2013 5:53 AM
Sep 12, 2013 10:08 PM

Sep 2011
CanadaAotS said:
Well. That was a gay moment and a half.

Super gay.
Sep 22, 2013 5:12 AM

Apr 2013
Hahh!!! Gayiiiiiii !!!
Sep 22, 2013 3:52 PM

Feb 2013
I'm not sure if Kaoru loved Shinji in a romantic sense. I think he meant that he loved Shinji as a person/human being. Shinji said that nobody has ever told him that and not even his father said that he loved him. Although i'm totally guessing here so I could be wrong.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Oct 19, 2013 9:49 PM
Jul 2018
I am pretty confused lol
What was the point of Kaoru, anyways?
A pretty good episode altogether, though... especially for homosexuals XD
Dec 3, 2013 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
I have been in the state of shock ever since episode 18 ended.
Unsurprisingly, this turned out to be another wtf episode. Too bad the last few episodes of this series seems more interesting than the first and second half.
Dec 11, 2013 11:29 AM
Sep 2013
Jesus...I can't stop commenting on the second half of this show...

This series is so weird man. It started off basically episodic. Then it finally got consistent, but seemed to be focused on comedy for a while, then it switched to action/drama/psychological (definitely this series strong point).

I feel sorry for the people who can't get past the homosexuality of this episode. Whether they were in love or not, or had sexual desires or not makes no difference. You're missing the point; Shinji at this point has NO ONE. His father sees him as little more than a tool. Rei is someone or something he feels he can't, and likely never will fully understand; this in direct and painful conflict with the emotions he has for her (which, again, he isn't totally understanding either). Asuka, someone who he saught a friendship with, and possibly more early on, basically told him she hated him and never wanted to see him again before promptly running away.

Enter Kaoru, someone who actually understands him, appreciates him, and sees him as a true and real friend. To top it off, he was, as the show seems to imply, the only person to earnestly say they loved him. Yet, Shinji HAS to kill him.

And what a scene that was. Everything about it was incredible. Ode to Joy was an unbelievably perfect song for the moment as it served as both as a mirror of what Kaoru represented to Shinji as well as a stark contrast to the tragic task he is about to carry out. And that long pause...holy hell; greatest scene of tension I've seen since the Mexican Shootout at the end of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Amazing epsode.
Dec 17, 2013 11:37 AM

Dec 2012
I don't think they're using their blankets correctly...
Dec 23, 2013 9:19 PM

Aug 2007
I like the idea of this episode as a whole but I was disappointed on how the plot points were portrayed.
They honestly should have docked one of the less important episodes in the beginning and made room for some more character development of Kaworu. I understand where they were coming from and how Shinji became attached, but as a viewer, it would have been much more dramatic if Kaworu was introduced earlier and given more screen time.

I guess his death didn't pull at my heart strings like the other deaths and tragedies shown before :c

Feb 19, 2014 12:35 AM

Aug 2013
Just when Shinji found someone who actually acknowledges him, he turns out to be an Angel. Other than being Shinji's friend, what was the point of Kaoru? There's just so many things I still don't understand. And it really doesn't help tha they're throwing in another term this late in the series (unless I missed it from the earlier episodes). What's a Lilim? And SEELE can now send Angels? I've had a hunch that everything was happening because it's planned but how...ugh I don't think I want to think anymore. The last two episodes better be good.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Apr 2012
I don't think Kaoru really understood human sexual relations or appropriate behaviour in a platonic context, etc. TO BE EXPECTED TO BE HONEST. Shinji's just been headf'ed all series (/his life) too.

*calling "not gay"*

He did need another episode for development though.
Feb 26, 2014 8:34 PM

Oct 2013
did that just turn yaoi
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 8, 2014 12:51 AM

Dec 2013
beautiful, tragic, and mysterious

side note: NERV needs some freakin staff therapists

side note pt 2.: ALL these characters need Jesus lol... but seriously faith is a powerful thing, especially at the depths of despair.
DaydreamHeroMar 8, 2014 1:07 AM
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 8, 2014 1:19 AM

Jun 2009
Well, I'm glad you liked this episode. It's probably one of my favorites as well. It will be interesting what you think of the last two episodes and End of Evangelion.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.