Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 22, 2013 4:41 AM

Apr 2013
Seriously this episode was a total mind-f**k !!!
Dec 17, 2013 10:52 AM

Dec 2012
When exactly does it reveal that Rei is a clone of Yui? It's slightly implied at best... maybe I should be watching the director's cut.
Dec 23, 2013 8:17 PM

Aug 2007
If Rei is crying due some subconscious imprints... Even as a clone with separate bodies and presumably separate memories, I guess this suggests there are trace memories that stay with her when they change to the next clone?

In a way, I'm hoping this is the case. It would make her more of an "individual" in a way.

Dec 27, 2013 10:01 AM

Jan 2013
Wow... I can't even fathom what just happened. This whole thing is just.... wow. It's all making sense now.
Feb 19, 2014 12:05 AM

Aug 2013
Aha...ahaha..haha...haha...ha...I'm confused.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 26, 2014 8:02 PM

Oct 2013
man,, i wonder how the dynamic between rei and shiji is gonna be now, redders
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 5, 2014 2:05 PM

Mar 2013
I think i understand most things, however even if somehow magically everything gets cleared up in the remaining 3 episodes, this is still a mess and a failure of a show. Having a bunch of supposed mysteries and a lack of answers and cohesion for 23+ episodes(even longer with the director cuts) is not what i consider a masterpiece. Sure there are strengths here and there, but this is the definition of an overrated show, much like the ambitions of Gendou and Seele, it has too high of a view of itself and ultimately fails.
Mar 30, 2014 12:21 PM

Dec 2012
This episode helped to fully connect the dots on many of the things that had been piecing together throughout. Seeing all of those Rei clones was eerie but I can't really say my mind's been blown yet. My main question still remains though: I wonder what brought about the angels in the first place and what their motives/purpose are now.
May 16, 2014 2:35 PM
Oct 2011
This was an interesting episode. In it we learn that Rei has died once for real and dies again in this episode. Something seems different in this Rei as she crushes the glasses Gendo gave her that she used to treasure. Finally we learn her spare bodies are the source of the dummy plug system which explains why Unit-01 rejected her, as Rei is Gendo’s attempt to replace Yui.
May 17, 2014 12:05 AM

May 2014
I think I speak for all when I say. What. The. Fuck.

Aside from that the episode was really confusing and creepy. Especially when those vien-like things appeared on Rei and Shinji's bodies... And the Rei-clones part..
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Jun 8, 2014 7:37 AM

Aug 2013
So were on the third Rei now?
My Candies:
Jun 22, 2014 4:33 PM

Jan 2014
So wait... SEELE want to be Gods, so they created Adam, and then created some clones of Adam (Evas) in order to rule the world, right? Damn I still don't get something, It's really confusing. But good episode.
Jun 25, 2014 10:06 PM

Jun 2013
What the hell did I just watch? Lol. Creepy episode and it was weird when Shinji's hand had a face on it speaking to him, it looked all mutilated! Rei turning into that big thing and then committing suicide, woah! Then we find out that Rei isn't real, but a clone of the original (Shinji's mom), so many Reis! And then Ritsuko kills all the clones so we only have one Rei left? Guess that would mean we're on the III and final Rei.
RaidenJun 25, 2014 10:29 PM
Jul 1, 2014 12:46 PM

Aug 2013
This show is getting more and more chaotic. Every time something in the mythos is "answered" we just get another set of questions. It's an almost never ending process. Hopefully, everything will be hammered out in the last few episodes. Regardless, Im going to move on to the movies after this and maybe I'll understand it better there.

So Rei is clone, which was kind of obvious given the clues that had been placed around. Rei III contains some memory of her previous self, but not the specifics. It's almost like its just an imprint of previous Rei's that are carreid over to the new body. But now, it would seem we are on the last Rei.

Ok, So just like Ritsuko's mom, Ritsuko fell into the same trap with Gendo Ikari. To me, thats more than slightly disgusting. Now she's a scapegoat for him in regards to SEELE but why the heck was she naked? That didn't seem to be necessary at all.
Jul 27, 2014 8:41 PM

Jul 2014
I suspected Rei to be a clone or experiment of Eva for awhile now. This just confirms it
Nov 28, 2014 4:11 PM

Jul 2014
Those Rei clones though... Starting to get pretty confusing... But damn, every single character has psychological problems~
Dec 9, 2014 2:15 PM

Nov 2013
Why was Ritsuko naked?
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 27, 2014 6:00 PM

Apr 2014
All the characters seem to be in need of consolation, but none of them know how to offer it to each other. Hikari this episode though:

"I think it's okay for you to do whatever you want and I won't say anything, because I think you did your best, Asuka."

I just loved what she said to Asuka. It wasn't overly emotional, but it wasn't meaningless. One of my favorite lines tbh ;v; So much respect for Hikari.

Vexper said:
Why was Ritsuko naked?
Probably as punishment.

Ew... I can't believe Ritsuko had feelings for Gendo. That's just so gross. Seriously, Gendo looked like a creep even as a college student.
Jan 6, 2015 5:59 AM

Jan 2013
It was stated episodes ago that the dummy plug is powered by Rei.. and many foreshadowing about Rei being a clone.. Yeah I saw that coming.
Jan 11, 2015 12:59 PM

Dec 2012
I don´t really get it howcome the vice commander wasn´t arrested again. I didn´t get even the reason for him being arrested for the first time, but if there was a reason, why isn´t he arrested now as well, everyone knows about him and he doesn´t somehow hide.
Apr 30, 2015 12:05 PM
Nov 2014
Damn, Rei was gr8 in this episode. Dat naked clones will give me nightmare for sure :P

It's been an info dump the last few episodes, not sure if my mind can take it all.
Jun 1, 2015 8:41 AM

Jan 2013
Everyone needs someone to comfort them, but no-one is offering it.
We get to know about Rei and how she's already the third clone now that's walking around (last one since they're destroyed now)

Yet another woman to fall for Gendo, ... Ritsuko.

Also the disturbing image of them being invaded by the Angel was something else.
Jun 26, 2015 8:41 PM

Sep 2014
Heartbreak and Mind break. Ep 23.

Plot-The penultimate Angel Armisel comes and Rei dies destroying. However it seems that Rei is not all together human. She is a clone. Of Yui Ikari with strands of Angel DNA. Not only that but Ritsuko reveals the truth behind Rei, the Evas, even 2nd impact to Misato and Shinji.

Character-Ritsuko and Rei are put on the center stage. Ritsuko falls this time as her misdeeds are laid bare and her apparent trust/affair with Gendo breaks. History unfortunately repeats itself for the Akagi women.

Rei or apparently Rei 2, rose as she not only fought well against the angel but managed to save Shinji, someone she cared about as well. However the topic of her being a clone leaves more questions. Rei 3 is a fresh batch. It is unknown just how much she knows and how much she feels but there may be imprints of the past Rei within her.

4/5. Tragedy/Misery loves company and it seems like everyone is going down on the ship.

PS: The clones laughing while dying or smiling was horribly creepy. Shinji, I pity your mental state right now. Surrounded by nothing but crazies.
AarroninJul 8, 2015 5:05 PM

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 5, 2015 4:21 PM

Dec 2011
LOAD said:

Ew... I can't believe Ritsuko had feelings for Gendo. That's just so gross. Seriously, Gendo looked like a creep even as a college student.

I know. Gendo is a fucking asshole. What do those women see in him? Even other characters, like Fuyutsuki, consider Gendo to be a distasteful man. Even his own son hates him.

Like mother, like daughter indeed.
Jul 12, 2015 1:05 PM

Jan 2014
Rei's tears. That Angel looked like a halo lol. And Rei had to die... Again, maybe...
That is really really sad. Where do they get the soul for Rei from then? Is it recycled too in a way?
In any case, that scene with the clones floating and laughing was disturbing and very powerful.
Jul 15, 2015 10:52 AM

May 2013
This episode was... creepy.
Sidenote: I'm failing to see how this series is supposed to be one of the best anime series of all times. My opinion, but I think it's average at best. Maybe slightly below. Hope there's a nice ending that pulls things together and makes watching the show more worthwhile!
Sep 12, 2015 5:56 PM
Apr 2015
Gendo Ikari is The Harem King.
Sep 14, 2015 11:58 AM

Feb 2014
Wow that was so creepy and confusing. Seems like everyone is fucking insane. I suspected all along that Rei is a clon.
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Oct 18, 2015 2:20 PM

Jun 2011
ASUKA, GET BACK TO THE HOUSE!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Oct 19, 2015 8:39 PM
Oct 2015
Am i the only person here that noticed that neon genesis evangelion has the same score as sword art online. That seems fucked up on all kinds of levels.
Nov 5, 2015 11:50 PM

Apr 2014
Ah so the dummy plugs actually contained Rei clones, not just simply a personality of Rei. Nice half-truth that the protagonists were told. So the clones are in fact linked to a singular subconsciousness, but where exactly does the true Rei reside?

The conflict between Seele and Gendo is beginning to escalate and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the midst of wherever the plot is heading.
Nov 22, 2015 10:23 AM

Feb 2013
Holy shit, so Rei actually was a clone. But now that Bitchsuko murdered them all, I guess if she dies again that'll be it. So I assume the first Rei was the one that was killed by Blondie's mom, then the second one is the one that just died, which is why this Rei said *I guess I'm the 3rd*.

Other then that I still have no idea wth is going on lol.
Dec 24, 2015 6:41 AM

Jul 2013
That 3rd Rei though, so now every other clones have been destroyed, I guess this is the last Rei.
Ritsuko's jealous of Rei because she's in love with Gendo apparently, just like her mother who's jealous of Yui.
Jan 1, 2016 6:49 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

Rei 1 died when strangled to death.
Rei 2 died in this episode (she lasted quite a while).
Rei 3 was "born" this episode.

The battle with the angle is a bit different (better) in the director's cut.
Always memorable is Asuka's line about Commander Ikari not sending Shinji out for her.

5/5
Jan 7, 2016 8:11 PM

Jun 2013
BurntJelly said:
Always memorable is Asuka's line about Commander Ikari not sending Shinji out for her.

^ This. That line punched my heart.

How about when Eva 00 exploded though? Briefly resembling Rei's figure with the halo.

And the fact that Ritsuko also had an affair with Gendo, like her mom. That would explain why Ritsuko said, "The person Unit 00 wanted to hit was me" back in episode 14, if Yui Ikari's personality is indeed embedded in Unit 00... but I believe she's in Unit 01, right? Hmmmm.

Anyway, this episode made me yell unintelligible strings of sounds multiple times.
Feb 8, 2016 6:35 PM

Aug 2014
This is getting more complex , so this is the last version of Rei .
Great Episode .
Jul 21, 2016 7:35 PM

Feb 2016
It's very sad to see the tragic truth about Rei and also that last scene was just insane when all other clones of her got killed.
Aug 16, 2016 12:58 PM

Aug 2016
Does this mean the real Rei died a long time ago as in the episode "Rei I" ? Seems like every piece is coming together now.
Nov 2, 2016 10:23 AM

Jun 2016
I was annoyed by Asuka all this time, but now I really feel sorry for her. Her sense of self-worth is directly linked to her success with Eva. Once it's gone, her connection with the world is gone, too.

Oh, I don't care about Rei anymore. At the beginning, I thought she was just one of those characters who are quiet and needs someone to open up, but she never changed. Yet again, how can she? I guess, Misato is the one for me among female characters.
Nov 5, 2016 11:33 PM

Dec 2015
@karineyn Rei never changed? Her change of view about her "God" was more than clearly expressed in the end of this episode (even if it's Rei III), and Rei II had already said things in this direction earlier in the episode (maybe in previous eps too, not sure anymore). And after seeing Rei I, even Rei II was a big change.
The changes are discrete over the series, not anymore in ep.23.

Effulgence said:
Does this mean the real Rei died a long time ago as in the episode "Rei I" ? Seems like every piece is coming together now.

No. There were three Rei shown in the series (not counting the Dummy plug bodies). Rei I died from Akagi Ryoko's hands (litteraly) 10(?) years before, the series starting with Rei II.
Nov 6, 2016 12:00 PM

Jun 2016
@Rei366 yeah, you're right. She changes. But I guess I expected a more obvious change, not only in her beliefs but also her overall attitude. To me, she is the cutest when she smiles at Sininji in one of the earlier episodes. So, I guess, the small detials like a smile, etc.

She reminds me of Yin in Darker than Black. But for some reason, I like Yin better.
Nov 29, 2016 2:40 PM

Aug 2014
Ritsuko is definitely moving up for worst Eva girl for me, never liked her from day one.

Not gonna lie, that line about Asuka wanting Shinji to come to her rescue was pretty damn touching.
KashKetchumNov 29, 2016 3:08 PM
Jan 4, 2017 3:07 PM

Feb 2013
What an episode. So thats the third Rei.So I guess Rei is a clone to some degree. That place with all of the Rei's was really creepy. So Rei's should can be implanted into another one if need be and it was originally Shinji's mother? Woah. Then they started to decompose. A very disturbing sight.

I feel like we're getting closer to the truth.

That fucking preview. That's what I was talking about on the previous episode. It's all unfinished because they ran out of time or something. Three more episodes!
Jan 5, 2017 1:56 AM

Dec 2015
@Nano1124 The director/creator, Anno, was constantly coming back with new changes during the making of each episode.
But the end still followed his original vision, no matter how much money they still had. The assistant-director even said it: this type of conclusion was what was formulated during the conception.
But there are so many people out there ready to make you despise/refuse/reject the TV finale, or even ignore it ...

@Kotenbo How could two episodes "ruin" a whole series (of 26eps)? Damage/stain it, of course. To this extent? Internet dramatization.
And many spectators who started for the robots action or scifi mystery came to appreciate the show for other things that they still found in eps.25 and 26. For the others, there are still 25' and 26' so nothing is entirely demolished.

January 13, 2017
@Hinata All my excuses, I took your words for their "first meaning". And I wasnt blaming/accusing, it was just an expression. Also, I differentiate the three ones only because of what I was writing, of course nobody expects you or anyone to specify the number each time. (my excuses, again)

@A_Haiku_Unloose
- God means Adam/ the non-human being discovered in 2000.
- then humans indeed created a "god" based on it, "EVA", without a soul (who are labelled as "synthesized humans" probably, in english)
- Rei was created as a mix between what's in the "basement" (called Adam until now) and humans. But she can't old Yui's soul because...
- as suggested many times before, the soul of Yui resides in the Unit-1 (crossing dialogues of Akagi Ryôko and what you learned in the "LCL Shinji" episode, Yui got an accident accordingly to the wish of Ryôko who was the one coming with the plan to rescue her, ultimately a failure).

As what exactly is Rei, the last bits of info are given in episodes 24 and 25. (and if it's still unclear, the movies remove any doubt)

A_Haiku_Unloose said:
"Man found god, and in their joy tried to make Him theirs. That's why there was divine retribution. That was 15 years ago. *The God they found has also disappeared by then. But then, they tried to resurrect God on their own. The result was Adam.*
Unless the subs themselves are wrong, this clearly says that the God they first found was gone, and that Adam was what they produced when they tried to recreate the God they saw, no?

I have no way to read my own (french) DVDs by me so I can't quote them, but based on yours I shall beg your pardon for contradicting an information supposed to be true until episode 24's revelation (well, one among a lot of revelations in this episode, thanks to the guy talking like a poet)
What you already saw for sure is:
- the Second Impact came from humanity's contact (the Katsuragi's expedition at the Pole) with what they called "God" here, the light giant mentionned earlier. It "exploded" (=gone). But Kaji brought the being back to Gendô earlier in the show (you remember the wallet with the embryo thing?) before the commandant started wearing gloves. And I'm pretty sure tjhough, that it's a grammar/english thing that lead you to think that the created one was Adam and not the Eva who were both talked about in the same lines.

June 4; 2019
@retr0ali There is no point in watching the TV version, simply check the "director's" .

October 7, 2019
@Rayl1ght Yes, she is a clone partly made out of Ikari Yui. But I won't spoil you the full recipe, since it's almost revealed. ;)

June 24, 2020
@Ryzor While the character is important, he is a far from a main character and only makes a brief appearance. Another cover could have well be used on this webpage.

November 10, 2020
Rob said:

Dat pregnancy.
Dat abortion.
Dat explosion.

You gave me a good laugh, thanks!

January 6, 2020
@Code0018 Asuka was indeed suffering before the Angel's attack (couldn't stand that she had slowly fallen below Shinji + she was in her period I think).
There's also the fact Ritsuko can't bear Gendô's attitude toward her anymore. (She's been "used" just like her mother before.)

Have a good time with the great episode 24 and the incredible 26 !
Rei_IIIJan 5, 2021 5:54 PM
Jan 12, 2017 4:59 PM

Sep 2015
Those Rei vessels were creepy because they smiled. Was scared Rei died for a sec but glad she survived.
Jan 13, 2017 3:26 PM

Sep 2015
Rei366 said:
Hinata said:
Was scared Rei died for a sec but glad she survived.

Did you really watch the same episode 23 we all saw? ^^"

Rei III said:
I think I'm the third one.

Okay...I guess it was my bad on poor wording but why the need to point it out. 1st
Rei366 said:
Hinata said:
Was scared Rei died for a sec but glad she survived.

Did you really watch the same episode 23 we all saw? ^^"

Rei III said:
I think I'm the third one.

Don't know why I have to prove I watched the episode but okay... and my bad for using poor wording I guess in that sentence but had my reasons. 1st Rei got strangled to death by Naoko in episode 21 which at the time didn't make sense to me because I thought Rei actually somehow survived that but this episode pretty much cleared that up. Rei 2 didn't show signs of remembering that so I considered her a new Rei. Rei 2 died (I'm just gonna use it the way everyone including you wants me to use it) last episode and with this info we gather from this episode(23), we know that the Dummy system is linked with those Rei vessels(clones) to ever so produce another clone whenever one dies. Rei 3 recalled a bit of memories(from the Dummy system) from being in her old room and looking at Shinji's dad's broken glasses. I considered her still technically the same Rei (aka Rei 2) we know and love and that she didn't fully die in explosion because a bit of the stored memories from the Dummy plug could be recalled by Rei 3.

But this prob doesn't matter to you^^

REI 1 : DEAD
REI 2: DEAD
REI 3 : ALIVE
^^^Heres the stuff you want to see I guess
Mar 29, 2017 9:53 PM

Dec 2012
I can't believe how much is left out when you don't watch the director's cuts...

That angel battle was very confusing, couldn't help yelling what the fuck... it looked like it took on the shape of Rei at the end before the explosion.
Speaking of rei, it was very cool to have it finally confirmed that she is indeed a clone. And possibly created fro yui's DNA... makes sense how she was called motherly by shinji, kept commander ikari's glasses, and why commander ikari showed a little bit emotion for her when she sacrificed herself that first time a few episodes back, with the bomb in hand. Someone made a comment that if all her possible next clone vessels have been destroyed, is this her last chance at life. She thinks she's replaceable... little does she know that is not the case anymore... hmmm

I hope they reveal what exactly happened at the time of yui's death, and what shinji saw... I remember she had those famous last words that went along the lines of "I brought my son in today to show him my work" or something

Sounds like everything is going according to the prophecy in the Dead Sea Scrolls (which by the way they are a real thing, but I doubt they say anything that has to do with this anime haha), sounds like there's one more angel attack to go before something BIG happens, eh? What does commander ikari have planned??? So glad things are making more sense with each passing episode haha
Jul 19, 2017 10:24 PM

Mar 2013
LOAD said:

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
Jul 19, 2017 10:30 PM
Jul 2018
Just one more episode until the last two episodes ruin everything.
Aug 22, 2017 3:18 AM
Oct 2016
Best episode ever : 20/20
Rei was excellent!
Sad that she is actually a clone!
By the way there is a version of this episode where adam appears in the same scene when ritsuko talks about rei!
And many things in the past were revealed!
Everyone must see this, it's kn youtube i think
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this

Lonely_kun - Today

47 by Incognito_47 »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

245 by ToTheGyz »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

268 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

290 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 16, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

810 by _reii017 »»
Apr 16, 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.