Forum Settings
Forums

Warner's Live Action Movie of Akira Halted

New
Jun 15, 2009 7:28 AM

Feb 2008
According to Bloody-Disgusting.com, the live action movie of "Akira" was suffered a setback. Although the reason for the standstill of the project has not been revealed, they confirmed the news with two sources. Warner Bros. Pictures had been producing the film with Leonardo Dicaprio's movie production company Appian Way. Bloody-Disgusting.com reported that the director Ruairi Robinson has already quit the team.

Sources:
Bloody Disgusting.com
Anime!Anime!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 15, 2009 7:37 AM

Feb 2008
damn..out of money or they cant make it good enough.
Jun 15, 2009 7:44 AM

May 2007
I hope this keeps up.

I don't want to see Hollywood take advantage of beloved anime franchises like they have done with remakes and comic book movies.
Jun 15, 2009 7:52 AM

Feb 2008
Good.

The longer it takes to make the film the better. Stupid Hollywood studios making films for no good reason. They all want a slice of the anime pie.
Jun 15, 2009 8:01 AM
Jun 15, 2009 8:20 AM

Jun 2009
Wayero said:
I hope this keeps up.

I don't want to see Hollywood take advantage of beloved anime franchises like they have done with remakes and comic book movies.

Quoted for truth
Jun 15, 2009 9:20 AM

May 2007
I am glad, Akira stunk in the first place and Neo-Mahattan sounded awful. Still Ninja Scrolls sounds decent.
My anime list
Jun 15, 2009 10:29 AM
Jan 2008
oh thnk god...akira was awful...i couldnt imagine how bad it would be live action
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Jun 15, 2009 11:01 AM

Feb 2008
Yus. Great news. Death to all these Live Action Movies.
Wanna make a good anime bad? Just make a Live Action Movie of it. Goddammit Hollywood! Cut the crap!
Jun 15, 2009 11:16 AM

Mar 2008
hopefully this is not just delaying the inevitable. I hate it when hollywood takes good anime and ruins it.
Jun 15, 2009 11:34 AM

Dec 2007
Y'know, Akira could honestly work in live action (I've had ideas on how to do work a live action version of the film for quite some time). DiCaprio's group was just going about it the wrong way.

And I'll agree with Mitamaking, DiCaprio's Ninja Scroll does have a lot of promise, so we'll see how that works out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2009 11:46 AM
Jun 2008
What??? I'm shocked!!!
Jun 15, 2009 12:19 PM

Jul 2007
Wayero said:
I hope this keeps up.

And yet, there have been good remakes and very good comic book movies despite Hollywood taking advantage of their popularity.

I want there to be more live-action adaptations. Even if that means some of them are crap, I want them for those few good ones that will be made.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jun 15, 2009 12:39 PM

Jan 2008
GOOD! i dont want hollywood to make live action of akira.. i rather keep it in anime and manga..
Jun 15, 2009 2:00 PM
Dec 2007
Splitter said:

I want there to be more live-action adaptations. Even if that means some of them are crap, I want them for those few good ones that will be made.

I agree. And it's horribbly childish not to want a movie made just because, you like the franchise, or whatever.

The more people that find out about it the better, right? The original makers can get more money for their product, and by bringing anime out into the mainstream, more people can be aware of it.
Jun 15, 2009 2:21 PM

Dec 2007
Splitter said:

thirded, animu elitists piss me off :roll:
Jun 15, 2009 2:30 PM

Feb 2008
superflat said:
Splitter said:

they don't want their precious animu to go mainstream cuz then everyone's gonna realize its crap :>
Jun 15, 2009 2:52 PM
May 2008
Heh they can post-pon it all they like. I'm glad they're thinking things over ALOT.

Definitly we don't want such a famous anime movie be as cheap looking as DBZ is appearing to be.

The one thing that is my MAIN concern is that they make Kaneda's motorcycle like the movie. Not just some dumb red Harley.

Another thing is keeping it like the plot-line, instead of DRASTICALLY changing it. I'm already having a feeling it's going to be just this gang movie and THAT'S IT.

I personally rather them not do it at all. If they're going to do a film with nothing in common of the orginal story-line
Jun 15, 2009 3:20 PM

Aug 2008
Maybe they realized that making a live action 'representation' of Akira is still impossible even by today's standards.
Jun 15, 2009 3:30 PM

Aug 2008
Wayero said:
I hope this keeps up.
Jun 15, 2009 3:31 PM

Jul 2008
God DOES exist. It took a shitload of money to make a few episodes of The Flash, imagine Akira.
Jun 15, 2009 4:19 PM

Dec 2007
Sweet news, maybe this franchise won't be sullied by hollywood after all. :D
Jun 15, 2009 4:25 PM

Apr 2009
well i would like to see a good live action movie of this but they seem to kill good animes when they make live action versions but the movie of blood the last vampire looks good

Jun 15, 2009 7:40 PM

Jan 2008
VampShadow said:
Wayero said:
I hope this keeps up.

Banner made by suikka
Jun 15, 2009 7:56 PM

Jun 2007
Its a sign to stop making the movie...
Jun 15, 2009 8:11 PM
Jan 2008
better yet, they shouldn't have made into an anime into te first place...ugh
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Jun 15, 2009 9:19 PM

Nov 2007
Wayero said:
I hope this keeps up.

amen to that

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jun 15, 2009 9:29 PM

Apr 2008
I'll drink to that.
Jun 15, 2009 9:57 PM

Jun 2009
@RICEA42991:

If you get the chance to watch, there is a J-Drama called AKIHABARA@DEEP in which is all about otaku and in some episode they show a replica of Kaneda's bike. Pretty cool looking :D. If a tv drama can make a replica, I hope Hollywood can realize that they can too.

BTW, some of the live action anime adaptations are mediocre and blah. BUT there are some that are worth it. (Ie. Detroit Metal City.) It's just truly trial and error. AKIRA is something that Hollywood CAN do. Bikes chases, scientific research, giant blob Tetsuo. It's very doable.
Jun 15, 2009 10:05 PM

Apr 2008
Uminokun said:
BTW, some of the live action anime adaptations are mediocre and blah. BUT there are some that are worth it. (Ie. Detroit Metal City.) It's just truly trial and error. AKIRA is something that Hollywood CAN do. Bikes chases, scientific research, giant blob Tetsuo. It's very doable.

... except the actual story , but because its hollywood they cover that up with special effects
Jun 15, 2009 10:25 PM

Jun 2009
Hell, the anime adaptation of AKIRA didn't cover everything in the manga and was a decent, not the best, but decent.

This movie might be equally as decent as the anime version or slightly better or worse. It's silly to complain about something that hasn't even been fully created.
Jun 15, 2009 10:29 PM

Apr 2007
superflat said:
Splitter said:

Very much Fourth'd. I'd love to see more get made even if they're bad cause eventually we'll get some really great ones.
Jun 16, 2009 10:21 AM

Oct 2007
I don't mind live action adaptations. almost half the jdrama/movies are based off manga.

But hollywood versions dont seem to be so bad either. If they pulled it off, i'd watch it. I mean, transformers was just awesome 8D. I haven't seen/read akira though. looks kinda boring imo. I'm sure hollywood would be able to make it awesome if they pulled it off :)
Jun 16, 2009 2:35 PM

May 2007
Loverhina said:
Uminokun said:

... except the actual story , but because its hollywood they cover that up with special effects

Just like the anime
My anime list
Jun 17, 2009 9:57 AM

Dec 2008
Yeah hope this "movie" never comes out...
Jun 17, 2009 10:03 AM

Dec 2007
Uminokun said:

BTW, some of the live action anime adaptations are mediocre and blah. BUT there are some that are worth it. (Ie. Detroit Metal City.)

Are you joking? The DMC live action movie was absolutely shit compared to the anime
Jun 23, 2010 7:34 AM

Nov 2008
nice
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
13 minutes ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 2 hours ago

2 by EcchiGodMamster »»
26 minutes ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 47 minutes ago

1 by EcchiGodMamster »»
27 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
2 hours ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.