Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 14, 2009 9:10 PM

Sep 2008
Theme: Pop Vocals

Please see the club front page for instructions on how to vote.

Compilation (zip format): http://sharebee.com/e0479172

[STREAM] [DDL] Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen - Kanjite Knight
[STREAM] [DDL] White Album - Glass no Hana
[STREAM] [DDL] Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Ai Oboete Imasuka
[STREAM] [DDL] Top wo Nerae! 2 Diebuster - Groovin' Magic
[STREAM] [DDL] Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ - Michishirube
[STREAM] [DDL] Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide
[STREAM] [DDL] Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ - I do!
[STREAM] [DDL] Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - Fly Away
[STREAM] [DDL] Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ - Neko Mimi Mode
[STREAM] [DDL] Code Geass R2 - Masquerade

Notes:

Can someone tell me why a lot of the series picked this week have titles with ~~s.

Again, let me know if people spot any anomalies/discrepancies. Thanks, and happy listening!

[13 points] Top wo Nerae! 2 Diebuster - Groovin' Magic
[13 points] Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide
[11 points] Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - Fly Away
[10 points] Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ - Michishirube
[8 points] White Album - Glass no Hana
[6 points] Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ - I do!
[5 points] Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen - Kanjite Knight
[5 points] Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Ai Oboete Imasuka
[5 points] Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ - Neko Mimi Mode
[2 points] Code Geass R2 - Masquerade

Notes: Not enough people liked Neko Mimi Mode ;_;
zzeroparticleJun 21, 2009 8:31 AM
Anime Instrumentality - Anime music news and soundtrack reviews
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 15, 2009 8:30 PM
Aug 2008
Kanjite Knight - I sorta kinda feel it. Supposedly, JamPro + Lazy is some form of epic, but I'm not sure how to feel about it. Good arena rock type music I guess.
+1 for JamPro collabs, even if it's not pop vocal.

Glass no Hana - This is where IMO Masami Okui still has it better. Nana does a good jorb walking the same path though. If there's anything that should be improved is the same o' arrangement that sounded too 90s and not 80s enough.

Ai Oboete Imasuka - You know what, Iijima's singing improved over the years. When I saw her at Otakon the one year she was there, she sounded better than this. The song itself, however, is as classic as it was when I first heard it...in the 90s I guess.

Groovin' Magic - It's groovy, like, CCS ED1 style groovy. The instrumentation is good. It is catchy and cute, which is always a winning combination. Gainax knows how to animate to the music. I'm kind of surprised no one big hired them to do something by now actually.
+1 one of the better Round Table songs

Michishirube - It's a decent song--but a lot of anime have endings like this, especially those slightly heartfelt late 90s and early 00s works. This one is such that it sneaks into your unconscious memory and stays there until the next time you hear the same melody.
+1 for being so familiar

Wasurenaide - I still think Suara's best is Musouka, but this is her best ballad by a long shot. And that is not to mention how it's used along with Kimikiss's tearful reconciliations and farewells...
+2 for being fresh with a piano/violin bridge segment, and my favorite of the week outside of my own nom.

I do! - A nice change of pace. The Indigo to me is a lot of good summertime memories listening to bands like Tomato Cube or even Marble, staring into the summer landscape out here--full of sunshine and trees. But meh when it comes to anime. Now I'm curious if we do this theme in November will we get very different songs...

Fly Away - This band is exactly what I think about when I hear the Indigo, too. And then the thought train goes to "hmm, did I finish watching this?" It's a fine OP song, well played. There are many like it, but this one is yours...if you like it. And thankfully I like it enough. I also like too many other ones more than this.

Neko Mimi Mode - It's French, which makes it quite different than the other songs this week. It's also one of the most creative anime theme music piece that I can remember, which is why I nominated it. It is also how you make pleasant music with the voice of someone who can't sing very well :3 Plus, this is erokawaii moe incarnate, if you can liquefy moe into music form, then this is it. If there's a flaw, it is that it isn't catchy enough!
+1 because it's my nomination, I guess.

Masquerade - TBN knows all about HITOMI, and I think her works are all pretty good, along these lines. But then again I haven't heard anything from her that isn't along these lines. Or rather, her Code Geass song seems the most deviant from that train of thought, which is a little bit more gothrori than outright airy and fantasy-like. Probably because of the bassline and tempo, I guess. It's not my fav from her (or from Code Geass, FWIW...)
omoJun 15, 2009 8:34 PM
Jun 16, 2009 6:49 AM
Nov 2007
+6 kimikiss
Jun 16, 2009 7:19 AM
Dec 2007
+2 Wasurenaide
+2 Fly Away
+1 Michishirube
+1 Glass no Hana

Edit*

Forgot that thyme's fly away was in the nominations since I didn't download the tracks i already have and like.

Anyway, this week was good...I have myself a bunch of keepers that I can add to my playlist ^^
mshaydownJun 17, 2009 12:03 AM
Jun 16, 2009 2:40 PM
Aug 2008
Lelangir said:
+6 kimikiss

+6 kimifail you mean
Jun 16, 2009 6:19 PM
Nov 2007
omo said:
Lelangir said:
+6 kimikiss

+6 kimifail you mean

wwwwwwwwwwwwww
Jun 16, 2009 11:15 PM

Aug 2008
+2 Groovin' Magic
I love Round Table due to the Chobits OP and this song just furthers that along.

Neko Mini Mode - uh what

+1 Kanjite Knight
FFFF YEAH

Thyme
+2 I Do!
I prefer these songs over the soft flowing ballads like Garasu no Hana and Michishirube. Go me for weird tastes.

Masquerade
I like Hitomi's work from Code Geass, but this isn't her best effort (imo Stories or Continued Story).

+1 Do You Remember Love?
I liked it.

Wasurenaide
Kimikiss theme song. Wasn't anything special.
Jun 18, 2009 1:43 AM

Dec 2007
+2: Diebuster, Kimikiss
+1: Someday's Dreamers 2, White Album

This week's catchy pieces are insanely catchy, and it's rare I rate a Suara song over a Mizuki Nana song, seems that Suara's catching up in terms of ballads. Didn't feel Kanjite Knight and Neko Mimi Mode qualified honestly, but the former is awesome.
Jun 20, 2009 2:12 AM

Jun 2008
I had trouble with this week because I rarely rarely listen to songs purely for vocals. Usually the vocals are part of the complete picture along with the rest of the music that makes a song great. As such, I didn't really know hot to go about rating them since I found myself too often rating things besides the vocals. Also the songs I was more familiar with I already had an undying love for.

Kanjite Knight---I felt that Kanjite Knight might have been a little too rockish for this week. Really I just nominated it because it is awesome and not enough people have heard it. I think what is interesting is how Lazy really makes this song I think. Some of JamPro's other songs for shonen series (like other Mazinger spinoffs) are really kind of cheesy. Not to say this doesn't have some cheese but it sounds more modern than some of the old JamPro themes, mostly I think in part to the rolling drum beats and the awesome wailing guitar.
+1 cause it's my nomination and awesome

Glass no Hana---This sounds like something from idolmaster. That is until the saxophone comes in...then I feel like I'm listening to Hall & Oates. " It certainly fits the Easy Listening style of pop. Not to my taste though, too slow probably. Nana does a wonderful job though.

Ai Oboete Imasuka---Classic. Not my favorite rendition of it though. Iijima is good and holds the distinction of being the original. I think the chorus harmonies are particularly heavenly in this version. I don't care for the rest though.

Groovin' Magic---possibly my favorite Round Table anisong. I remember when I first played it on itunes; (I downloaded some compilation of someones favorite OP/ED themes) I had to alt tab to look at what was playing. From the first "ah-ah-ah's" through the rest of the song it's got a cute, innocent quality to it. Also, I loves me some disco guitar. The whole piece is undeniably funky.
+2 cause it's so funky...and for awhile I thought it was Gantz OP (due to a miss-label) which blew my mind.

Michishirube---After listening to "Glass no Hana" I feel like if not for the distinct Nana vocals...I might not be able to tell these two apart. The slow, ballad, love songy thing just isn't my bag.

Wasurenaide---Some very expressive singing. The piano was pretty nice as well. It at least sounded different from the other 3 heartfelt ballads on this list so far.
+1 for truly emotional vocals

I do---The chorus is definitely catchy. I also like synth and the complement it had with the vocal harmonies. Much more like something I might listen to on a regular basis.

Fly Away---I loved THYME's debut album. With this song and the To Love-ru op I became an instant fan. It's all plenty catchy. As for vocals I don't think THYME matches up to some of the ballad ladies on this list, but her voice fits the song. It has a sort of whiny quality you don't hear much in Japanese music. As for the rest of the band THYME clearly has an advantage. Their guitarist is something else.
+2 cause I love THYME...yeah...I think familiarity breeds enjoyment for me.

Neko Mimi Mode---Chiwa Saito is crazy versatile in the number of voices she can portray in both narrative and song. That said, uhhh this isn't really singing. This is French? What who...where... It does vaguely remind me of Cats on Mars from the Cowboy Bebop OST...did I get a bad version of the song? All I hear is "Neko Mimi Modo, Nyan, and maybe a Kissu" If this is what you meant by pop vocals Omo...I am thoroughly confused.

Masquerade---not my favorite Hitom song from the CG OST. Not a bad one nonetheless. All of the songs but especially this one sound sort of artificial to me. Maybe overproduced. I also don't remember where it occurs in the show...but it doesn't really fit the feel of CG to me.

Songs I knew previously: Ai Oboete Imasuka, Fly Away, Groovin' Magic, Kanjite Knight, Masqerade.
Songs I actually remembered: All but Masquerade
Best Vocals: Wasurenaide
Most Original: Neko Mimi Mode
Best of the Bunch: Gotta go with Fly Away cause I love THYME
takaJun 20, 2009 2:16 AM
Jun 20, 2009 6:50 AM

Jun 2008
Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ - Michishirube +2
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen - Kanjite Knight +1
Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Ai Oboete Imasuka +1
Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide +1
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - Fly Away +1
Jun 20, 2009 8:05 AM

Sep 2007
I'm quite busy during this end of the year so I'll make this quickly, sorry.

Kanjite Knight - it's a classy and stylish song but I don't know how this is popish. Awesome though.

Glass no Hana - ûber 80s feeling and Nana-sama is singing. I like this. This feels classic you know, even if it was released this precise year. +1

Ai Oboete Imasuka - yes, this is pop vocals, but to me it's more of an anthem if you know what I mean. It's a flag, it's a declaration of love !

Groovin' Magic - you know I adore this song, but this is my nomination so I won't give it any point. But hell, this is the catchiest song of the lot. Nino~ <3

Michishirube - nice ballad, this is not really a pop song but I dig in. I don't know why it makes me think about the RisuPara OP. It's the kind of song I want to hear more often +2

Wasurenaide - Kimikiss, this is a good thing. But why Wasurenaide ? Aozora Loop is a lot more Pop than this ballad, which is awesome btw. It's kinda of the theme but I can't give it zero point but the other songs force me to do so.

I do! - Generic but genericly good.

Fly Away - I waited for someone to nominate this song. This is the definition of Pop : catchy, makes you want to go out and hang out with friends. +2

Neko Mimi Mode - It's French (like me), weird, awesome and definitely pop music. Bravo Omo = ) +1

Masquerade - I don't like this. That's just boring.

HARD HARD WEEK
SmankhJun 20, 2009 8:16 AM
Jun 20, 2009 9:37 AM

Jun 2008
Smankh said:

Neko Mimi Mode - It's French (like me), weird, awesome and definitely pop music. Bravo Omo = ) +1

Are you sure about that ? I mean, I agree about "pressentiment triste" being French... but Neko mimi modo... ? O_o
Jun 20, 2009 11:11 AM

Jun 2008
I had to look this up but apparently the music for this song is done by a French man Dmitri from Paris. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_From_Paris

I had never heard of the guy. That being said...I still wanna know how this qualifies as pop vocals.
Jun 20, 2009 11:58 AM
Aug 2008
taka said:
Neko Mimi Mode---Chiwa Saito is crazy versatile in the number of voices she can portray in both narrative and song. That said, uhhh this isn't really singing. This is French? What who...where... It does vaguely remind me of Cats on Mars from the Cowboy Bebop OST...did I get a bad version of the song? All I hear is "Neko Mimi Modo, Nyan, and maybe a Kissu" If this is what you meant by pop vocals Omo...I am thoroughly confused.

You can take it however you mean, but surely you must have heard FURUFURUFURUMOON
Jun 20, 2009 12:48 PM
Jun 2009
Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ - I Do!
It sure is popish enough. However, I do not feel anything special about this piece, so I guess I prefer to keep my votes for others.
Code Geass R2 - Masquerade
I like this, however at first I thought I would feel bad voting for this although I give no points to things like the one above. However, after listening more, I noticed how it swings despite being quite melancholic, and I think these mixed feelings are, like, good. +1
Kashimashi - Michishirube
My feelings about this are pretty much the same than about Masquerade. +1
Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide
Not fond of this.
Macross The Movie - Do You Remember Love
I think this would have been just fine for the legendary week :3 However, it's popish enough and... Isn't saving the world with a song the epitome of pop? (oh, it isn't? well...) +2
Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - Fly Away
Same thing as I Do!, poppish but I don't like it.
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen - Kanjite Knight
I like this. This is how pop rock refrain should be +1
Top wo Nerae! 2 Diebuster - Groovin' Magic
I would give this a point if I didn't want to keep it for Neko Mimi Mode.
Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ - Neko Mimi Mode
Awesome. Not sure how this is poppish, but it's awesome. +1
White Album - Garasu no Hana
I like it, but well, not enough votes.

HARD VOTING IS HARD :O If I could, I would give points to every one of these (and three times more points to Ai oboete imasu ka)
Jun 20, 2009 3:42 PM

Sep 2008
I should probably write something down too.

Like this maybe

To summarize:
(+2) White Album - Glass no Hana
(+2) Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide
(+1) Top wo Nerae! 2 Diebuster - Groovin’ Magic
(+1) Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ - Neko Mimi Mode
Jun 20, 2009 6:10 PM

Sep 2007
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen - Kanjite Knight (one episode watched) - like omo said, too arena-like. I'm expecting Shin Mazinger to come down to the wrestling ring when hearing this. :P

White Album - Glass no Hana (have not watched) - Decent, but not really feeling it.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Ai Oboete Imasuka (have not watched) - Not my favorite version of the song, and not really feeling it, despite it being one of the most important moments of the franchise, I guess.

Top wo Nerae! 2 Diebuster - Groovin' Magic (have not watched) - Feeling this one, and one of my favorite songs with ROUND TABLE feat. Nino. Groovin' magic indeed. +1

Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ - Michishirube (completed) - Prefer "Sweet Home Song" as a Yuumao song, but this is a solid song in it's right. +1

Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide (have not watched, but plan on it) - I really, really enjoy the chorus to this song, and how Suara seems to "glide" into it? I can't really explain it well. Not my favorite stuff from her though. :P+1

Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ - I do! (have not watched) - Ah. Haven't heard this song in a while from The Indigo, and it's not one that I favor of theirs. Decent and happy, but not my thing.

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - Fly Away (four eps watched. I think) - My bias is showing. And what taka's already said. +2

Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ - Neko Mimi Mode (haven't watched) - The music's solid. The voice here still haunts my dreams though. I feel like I've gotten over my initial feelings when hearing the song, where I felt like I needed to brush my teeth because of all the sweetness. But yeah.

Code Geass R2 - Masquerade (haven't watched) - I prefer Hitomi's other works for Code Geass than this one, but as omo said, this one is a lot less ethereal than what I usually from Hitomi, and it's not a bad thing that it does that. I don't know what omo's talking about when he says that I know my Hitomi though. :v +1
TheBigNJun 20, 2009 6:14 PM

Drastic My Anime Blog - My anime blog. :3
Jun 20, 2009 8:32 PM

Mar 2008
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen - Kanjite Knight - This is pop? Pop/rock maybe... even then I'm not sure.

White Album - Glass no Hana - Not Mizuki's best work, IMO.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Ai Oboete Imasuka - I watched the stream. That was my first exposure to Macross anything, so the entire idea of a fairly generic Jpop song causing the alien attackers to change sides came off as pretty ridiculous. Maybe context would make it seem a bit more believable...

Top wo Nerae! 2 Diebuster - Groovin' Magic - I don't think I've ever heard a bad song from Round Table feat. Nino. Toe-tapping and fun. +2

Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ - Michishirube - This song features in my anime playlist. It's sweet, but the guitar solo is inappropriate, IMO. Point for being from an anime with lesbians. +1

Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide - OP is better. Never been a fan of Suara, and this is too sentimental for my liking (Jpop and sentimentalism are two things that don't mix well, IMO)

Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ - I do! - Fun, delightful song. +2

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - Fly Away - It's a decent pop/rock song that complements the mood of the anime. Just as Natsu no Sora isn't a typical anime, this isn't a typical Jpop song.

Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ - Neko Mimi Mode - This works best when you're watching the crazy OP sequence and how everything that features in the sequence starts with the character "tsu". I love this song. It's everything that's good about Jpop in anime, but it's also quirky in its own sense. +1

Code Geass R2 - Masquerade - Shirley ;-;
Jun 20, 2009 11:09 PM

Sep 2008
Sorrow-kun said:
Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Ai Oboete Imasuka - I watched the stream. That was my first exposure to Macross anything, so the entire idea of a fairly generic Jpop song causing the alien attackers to change sides came off as pretty ridiculous. Maybe context would make it seem a bit more believable...

I think Shadowmage addresses that a little bit in his reviews of the Macross series. :p
Jun 21, 2009 1:50 AM

Feb 2008
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen - Kanjite Knight
Wasn't the idea this week to nominate songs with POP oriented vocals?. While I don't have any issues with the song itself, it could not have missed the point of this week's theme more even if it could.

White Album - Glass no Hana +1
Great song, and you have you to give credit to whoever nominated this. It is one of the few songs that really captured this week's theme, and the song's compitiosn itself is great. It's a great throwback to the old pop songs of the 80's and 90's. It's really nostalgic listening to a pop song with style again.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? - Ai Oboete Imasuka
I have to be honest I've never heard of this song before, but it gives of the same nostalgic 80's pop vivbe as "Glass no Hana" but this might be attributed to the fact this song was RELEASED in the 80's. I wasn't really to into this song, but the chorus has a great hook. I don't think the song has aged well however.

Top wo Nerae! 2 Diebuster - Groovin' Magic +2
Out of ALL the Round Table ft. Nino songs that could have been nominated, I'm glad it was this one. It's definitely one of their more underrated songs, and it fits the theme perfectly. Plus points to whoever nominated this one.

Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~ - Michishirube +1
A wonderfully composed song. The guitar, strings, and simple drum beat really flesh out the vocals in this song. The lead into the chorus has a very powerful crescendo and gives this relatively soft song a bold flavor.

Kimikiss ~Pure Rouge~ - Wasurenaide +1
As far as vocals go, this song is by far one of the biggest contenders out of the list. Very rarely do pop songs have strong and powerful vocal work, but Suara delivers an impressive performance. Her vocals blend together seamlessly with the piano and strings.

Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ - I do! +1
It's pop alright, and you have to give credit for whoever nominated this, they probably knew right away this song would fit the "pop" vocal theme perfectly. I don't really have any major complaints with this song, and the saxophone solo at the end SURPRISINGLY works with the song.

Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ - Fly Away
I love this song. I love Thyme. But I don't think it fits with the theme very well. What to do...

Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~ - Neko Mimi Mode
I have no idea what to say. I really don't. It's not like I can really knock it for having a SEVERE lack of lyrics, since it satisfies this weeks theme, but God, I really don't know what else to say. It's a creative piece, I'll give it that.

Code Geass R2 - Masquerade
No. If you want an explanation check out my comment at the Anime Instrumentality Blog, because I don't want to write another explanation why I dislike this song.
seraphjeiJun 21, 2009 1:59 AM
Jun 21, 2009 4:51 AM
May 2009
+2 Glass no Hana by Mizuki Nana from White Album (banzai for any Mizuki Nana songs XD)
+1 Wasurenaide by Suara from Kimikiss (I reckon it's so good that I can't just not give it a point, and it's different from Suara's other normal ballads anyway...)
+1 Ai Oboete Imasuka from Macross (while I only previously heard the one from MacF which I actually MUCH prefer, I do pay homage to something classic...sometimes)
+1 I Do! from Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ (I reckon the OPs for both series were MUCH better, this one's for when I want to have a break from listening all the other Jstuff I have, which isn't much...)
+1 Fly Away from Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~ (refreshing O_o?)

never really liked the Code Geass OPs (or EDs for that matter) just skipped past it every single time.

*edit* DAMMIT I voted with 7 points again..
azn86-jediJun 21, 2009 6:03 AM
Jun 21, 2009 8:20 AM

Sep 2008
All right, cutting off the votes here. Results posted.
Jun 24, 2009 5:02 PM
Mar 2009
Not a whole lot to say but... Kuroishi Hitomi has heaps of songs better than Masquerade =/ Why is it picked instead of the others ><
Jun 29, 2009 9:42 AM
Aug 2008
depthcharge101 said:
Not a whole lot to say but... Kuroishi Hitomi has heaps of songs better than Masquerade =/ Why is it picked instead of the others ><

yea :/
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Defining Music Pieces of 2011? Or Personal Favorites?

ottocycle - Dec 16, 2011

13 by TheBigN »»
Jul 27, 2013 12:46 PM

» Week 64: Nominations Thread - Loneliness

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

18 by Kinushima »»
Nov 13, 2012 8:23 AM

» Improving the #malkeionbu

omo - Sep 16, 2010

26 by omo »»
Aug 11, 2011 11:18 AM

» Week 63: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

2 by mrmuk »»
Jun 10, 2011 10:31 AM

» Week 59: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Aug 16, 2010

10 by Pocari »»
Mar 18, 2011 10:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.