Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 14, 2009 4:03 PM

Jan 2008
I was wondering if there was any manga that left an impact on how well the story developed, character progression, art, ect...

[It has to be a manga with a non-girly uke since this is the anit giry uke club]

For me it was Complex. I could read it again and again and never get tired of it.

The story development through the characters whole lives and those life experience, problems, joys, it all made me feel like this is actually something that could happen.

The characters fall in love only to know the hardship of being apart even though all they want is to be together. Not being accepted by the ones you love most. The wrong choices you made in life that only comes to laugh at your face. One nights pleasure and a life's commitment.

This manga had it all for me and more.

I like this types of plot so I'm trying to look for similar ones. Also I was curious about what type of manga made an impact on other members. ^^
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 16, 2009 2:06 PM

Jun 2008
YumiKirei said:
I was wondering if there was any manga that left an impact on how well the story developed, character progression, art, ect...

[It has to be a manga with a non-girly uke since this is the anit giry uke club]

Argh! I had to think about this one for a suspiciously long time. Impact. There's a manga that makes me cry no matter how often I re-read it. But I can't quite figure out why. The story is not so special, a typical story really. The characters are nice, but not that outstanding. (Even the uke isn't exactly girly, but they are not at equal standing and he's not strong enough to make it in our list). The art is good, but again I don't think that is what makes this unique to me. I guess it's something personal. Been in that place, gone through something like that, know how this feels. It touches a very personal memory in me ... only in the manga it all has a good ending. The manga is Desire. So here I go promoting the strong uke, and in the end the one manga that really floats my boat is one that doesn't even qualify. Embarassing, isn't it?

Other yaoi that really touched me were CUT, The Mangaverse of Rules, Kyuuso wa chiizu no yume o miru ... well stories like that, if anyone can find a pattern. For yaoi these have quite a lot of plot, but sometimes I'm just looking for something hot OR something with great art OR something that has comedy and then something else might just hit the spot for that moment.

YumiKirei said:
For me it was Complex. I could read it again and again and never get tired of it.

The story development through the characters whole lives and those life experience, problems, joys, it all made me feel like this is actually something that could happen.

The characters fall in love only to know the hardship of being apart even though all they want is to be together. Not being accepted by the ones you love most. The wrong choices you made in life that only comes to laugh at your face. One nights pleasure and a life's commitment.

I like this types of plot so I'm trying to look for similar ones. Also I was curious about what type of manga made an impact on other members. ^^

Complex - I haven't read that yet, but it's already on my list for the near future. Actually I think it just moved a couple of places up in the waiting list. :-)
Jun 16, 2009 5:37 PM

Aug 2008
Sojou no Koi wa Nido Haneru / The Carp on the Chopping Block Jumps Twice. It's full of stuff you can relate to as an adult, versus all the stuff out there that seems written on a shallow emotional/situational level. This volume was Kyouichi's chance to shine. I won't say any more so nothing is spoiled. :) Stuff like this is why I can't read silly fluff with ridiculous girly types as much anymore. It's not even yaoi. It's a josei work in which two men happen to have sex in.
Jul 30, 2009 1:30 PM

Apr 2008
For me it has to be Fake, I fell in love with the characters and story straight away. The character development is amazing, you really develop feelings for each character, especially the main characters Dee & Ryo.. both with painful pasts, and relationship issues, (i.e. Ryo's insistence that he is not gay, and Dee falling for someone who is straight) but manage to form a bond through friendship and love. Fake has to be one of the most romantic shounen-ai mangas I've ever read.

There is no hardcore yaoi, but the love between these two guys really pull on your heart strings.
Aug 3, 2009 12:21 AM

Apr 2008
The manga that I made such an impact on me was Under Grand Hotel. I don't think I had been that hooked on a manga in a loooooog time. and I usually read 1 volume (6 chap) stories, but this one was longer and I loved every minute of it.

Just before the ending, I cried SO HARD because I was so scared of what I thought had happened. It was almost traumatizing. I love Swordfish and Sen so much!!! Everyone should read this! Sadahiro Mika's mangas are so amazing and have real life situations (which i really like). I also liked Buddy System.

Truth is, I have to thank Geisha_x for introducing me to Sadahiro Mika in "The Mangaka List" discussion. yes, THANK YOU SO MUCH! <3
Aug 3, 2009 12:48 PM

Jun 2008
lovelydawn said:
The manga that I made such an impact on me was Under Grand Hotel. I don't think I had been that hooked on a manga in a loooooog time. and I usually read 1 volume (6 chap) stories, but this one was longer and I loved every minute of it.

Just before the ending, I cried SO HARD because I was so scared of what I thought had happened. It was almost traumatizing. I love Swordfish and Sen so much!!! Everyone should read this! Sadahiro Mika's mangas are so amazing and have real life situations (which i really like). I also liked Buddy System.

Truth is, I have to thank Geisha_x for introducing me to Sadahiro Mika in "The Mangaka List" discussion. yes, THANK YOU SO MUCH! <3

It was a pleasure to get someone else hooked on her! I was swalling UGH as a whole piece as well, unable to stop reading before the very end. Sadahiro Mika is a bit heavy on the sex side (not that I mind that) but UGH had more plot than many of her other stories. Not that surprisingly as it is longer. I liked that rough picture she painted of prison life and the good and weak sides of her characters.
Aug 3, 2009 1:34 PM

Jul 2009
Definitely Kizuna! It's great to see a Yaoi-Manga not just with as much steamy scenes as possible, but with a great story of love, trust, real - reasonable - problems and so on. I was so captivated, that I read all 10 Volumes at once (the last one wasn't on sale, yet ;) )

Yepp, I think that's all there is to say for me ^^
Aug 3, 2009 2:21 PM

Aug 2008
I started reading UGH. It looks very interesting so far (about a volume in). I'm looking forward to more. I like the general raw, gritty feel of it.
Sep 14, 2009 2:51 AM

Sep 2009
Manga that left an impact on me ? Without any doubt : Under Grand Hotel. It's harsh, sometimes squalid BUT its scenario is "real" (not just some pretext for hot sex scenes), its characters are well shaped (or "builded" ?.... sorry, english isn't my maternal language ^^), and the ending is full of surprises :)

However, this doesn't mean that it's my favorite yaoi.... We're just talking about "impact".
YaosoSep 14, 2009 2:56 AM
Sep 14, 2009 5:04 AM
Sep 2008
I'm surprised nobody's brought this one up, but my favourite one will always be the Finder series.

The storyline is really harsh and even though its a mafia manga (an overused cliche when it comes to yaoi), its absolutely amazing. It's really dark and gritty and REAL, and it still has its really funny moments- like how Takaba gets piss drunk and starts calling Asami over and over again to complain. And I did cry at the ending.

And the sex scenes aren't too bad either. =)

Devil X Devil is pretty good if you can find it too. The oneshot about the master being the uke is freaking nuts and psychological and makes you want to run around screaming in joy/horror/lust at the very end. I read it on mangafox but I'm trying to track down the download now. =(
Mar 8, 2010 6:31 PM

Sep 2008
Love Mode. Its one of my fav mangas ever. I am not sure if the uke is girly because it changs depending on whats happening. I kept reading this manga for many times. I mean the cover of the manga is soo desiving but is one of the best. Its says tragdy but its not that one of the main charcter died, its simply the story line with hard lives and many ups and down. Such a great manga.
Mar 8, 2010 11:28 PM
Mar 2010
Mar 9, 2010 2:03 AM

Nov 2009
for me its, junjou romantica and seven days... as well as desire...
Mar 9, 2010 10:17 AM

Mar 2009
YumiKirei said:

I like this type of plot so I'm trying to look for similar ones.

complex is the first and the last manga i cried over^^ but i dont want to read it again..lol yeah i have cried for 3 days! if i read it again i will cry again SO i wont read it.it is an unfortunate that people pass complex because of its art and the weird shota in it(i disliked the shota part too but it worth) thankfully i LOVE that kind of old art stylex3.i find the old anime art so much better than today's "moe".and i like silence of life stories the best too so im lucky,i didnt pass complex^^
Mar 10, 2010 3:13 AM
Aug 2009
One manga that really sticks with me is Totally Captivated. I think it was the first bl manga i read and something about it really gets to me. I think it might be the comedy; there are just parts that leave me giggling like crazy and i'm not even sure why sometimes.

Actually the first manga i thought of when i read the topic was Seven Days. I haven't even finished reading it since it hasn't been translated yet but its just beautiful. I love how the relationship just works so simply. There's also a lack of the annoying denial and the angsty 'he loves someone else so i'll be sullen' kinda thing. I think it works because you get both sides of the story and the characters are smart enough to know whats going on. I can't wait for it to finish being translated so i can see how it ends.
Mar 10, 2010 5:58 AM

Oct 2008
Of all the yaoi manga I've read, the one that left me with the biggest impression was Complex, like one of the previous posters mentioned. While the art suffered a little and was fairly inconsistent in quality, the story more than made up for it. The fact that life beyond "happily ever after" is not taken for granted and we get to see the couple suffer through the trials of love all the way to their 80s already makes this manga extraordinary, and places it head and shoulders above the rest.

The characters were as real as fictional characters could get, and the obstacles they had to overcome so real that you WILL relate to them at least on some level. While there is some drama, it never gets overboard.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who is perhaps tired of the frequent melodrama and mindless smut that permeates the genre, and who instead wants to read a more serious and realistic (and sweet) depiction of a relationship beyond "happily ever after". Oh, and prepare for a tearjerker of an ending with tissue boxes! I bawled like mad when I read it.
Mar 27, 2010 7:17 PM

Dec 2008
Only two mangas have ever made me cry; made my heart just ache with the emotion.

The first was Complex, and I agree with what everyone has said about it so far. I alternated between tears of anger, sorrow, and joy. It was quite the roller coaster ride, emotionally.

The second is something I've only finished recently. Sakura Gari was mind-blowing. Well constructed and thought out, this was a manga with extremely raw emotions. While it had some of the smut people expect yaoi, there was only one sex scene that could be described as "making love". Since the mangaka established such a firm connection between the reader and the characters, I could feel the hurt everyone else was experiencing. I've never read something so dramatic before that was also so real. It scared me a little bit because these were emotions I've never felt, nor wish to, for the most part. This was legitimately incredible.

A couple honorable mentions would be Tadayoedo Shizumazu, Saredo Naki mo Sezu, Doushitemo Furetakunai, and Seven Days, which has already been mentioned.

Tadayoedo Shizumazu, Saredo Naki mo Sezu is great. It's funny, clever, thought-provoking, and sad. It's one of my all-time favorites, and anyone who has the time should read it. However, since it's about a masochist, be wary if you're conservative (although, is anyone who reads yaoi conservative?).

Doushitemo Furetakunai is another great one with raw emotions. It's a classic story that draws you in with the reality of it. Yoneda Kou is a genius.

Seven Days has already been mentioned, so I'll just mention again that it's really good too.
DrRobotoSep 26, 2010 3:04 PM
Mar 28, 2010 12:31 AM

Jul 2009
Cut- Id give it a 7/10 on story.
The sex scenes werent at all detailed and it showed that this wasnt just some ecchi yaoi. it was actually one with a story.. i think the story could have been developed JUST a tad bit more but it was fine as it was.. the story is very emotional and i can relate to one of the main characters A LOT(except for the sexual part).

Yellow-Very nice manga. 10/10.
the story was AMAZING! im the type of person who HATES to read or watch things more than once.. but ive read this over 8 times.. that may not be a lot to some.. but it is for me.. everything about this manga made me get out of my chair and squeal like a fangirl.. there were some character points that i did not like, but that point is really just on what you like as a person(like. i like non-hardcore yaoi but other may LOVE it). I stopped crying after reading it 5 times... im emotional but i kinda got numb to it since my hatred of reading or watching this over again kicked in... but id still read it over..
=]
Sep 23, 2010 12:37 PM
Jan 2010
I would have to say Yatteraneeze left a huge impression on me. When I was just about to give up on the genre for being vapid and lame, I came across a story that had great characters, an interesting storyline, and enough drama to keep me interested. I've probably read this one 4 or 5 times now.
Jan 1, 2011 10:27 PM
Apr 2009
I just finished reading New York New York, and i am SOO glad i read it. although the art style wasn't really my type at first, it really grew on me. it was so realistic. it addresses the topics of coming out, rape, hiv, etc (i've noticed that in yaois and in smutty stuff in general...they never talk about the consequences). i think Mel is my favorite character in the story. despite all that he's been through, he's still so pure! the ending was really sweet too. it was one of the nicest endings i've ever seen. it doesn't seem that popular because it barely has 300 members. what a shame.

earlier people mentioned complex. i really liked that manga too. i think complex and new york new york are somewhat similar because they are both realistic and they both depict the main characters' life even until they're old.
Jan 2, 2011 12:42 PM

Feb 2010
I would have to say Hydra maybe because it is done by my favourite manga-ka Miyamoto Kano...

I would say that the story is well complex and thoroughly thought out, it had depth and it drew me in the first time I've read it and the characters are well developed and are not only used in that story but in another one of her works Rules as well...

It wasn't a "happy after ever" ending though the couple did meet up one last time on the last page of the manga though one of them after meeting ended up getting married to a girl later on in Rules...

The whole thought process and what happened between the 3 friends reminded me of something that happened to one of my friends so I know what its like... It was so real that it made me cry on more than one occasion no matter how many times I've reread the manga.

Jan 5, 2011 10:06 PM

Nov 2007
Haru wo daiteta

banana
Feb 19, 2011 7:23 AM
Oct 2010
Dog Style is definetely one of the best. This manga left me completely speechless. The story is simple, yet so incredibly complex at the same time. It riches places in your soul that most mangas rarely even tickle.
Feb 28, 2011 4:18 AM
Feb 2011
Honestly .. my first Manga Zetsuai/Bronze left me speechless and is still an part of my daily life. It's the reason why I learned japanese.

Over the years I got hooked up with P.B.B. I love the series too much I guess. Shinobu will always be my fav character. He reminds me at an friend of mine .. so ..

The complete Finder Series because I tend to like guys like Asami. He really is defined .. his style is awesome.

Dog Style left me speechless, I even cried. And like 'emi290' said - it really went down straight to the hidden places of my soul.

When A Man Loves A Man .. over all those years till the very end - I suffered with those guys.

But the biggest impact made the novel S Vol 1-4 - I definately felt in love with the character Keigo .. he really inspired me.

So Keigo, Shinobu, Koji and Ryuichi are an part of my own.

I dunno if it's just me but I tend to like my characters, feel with them - reading books over so many years .. collecting them ... I feel sympathy for the boys/guys .. their life seems like an part of some of my friends.
Jun 24, 2011 4:36 PM

Apr 2011
I think Crimson Spell was just amazing. It had the right blend of fantasy and yaoi.
Jul 21, 2011 7:03 PM
Jul 2009
Probably Hotel. (not a yaoi in any way) It was the best one shot i've ever read. Most apocalyptic movies and shit just don't have the same effect.
Jan 6, 2013 8:09 PM

Jul 2010
Let's see if I can revive this thread...
I would have to say, (in the yaoi category), Doushitmemo Furetakunai. I don't know why, because the story is rather plain, but it makes me cry everytime. Secondly Are You Enemy? by Miyamoto Kano. She writes amazing stories, and this one is I think one of her best.

In non-yaoi MONSTER because it's awesome, complex, and worthy of being transcribed into every medium possible.
Feb 14, 2017 7:30 AM

Apr 2010
For me it's gotta be Sono Kuchibiru ni Yoru no Tsuyu. I read this in 2010, so it's been a while now. But it changed me. I still remember. The build up was so tense I was blushing all the way.... until the climax of the story near the ending and that just set me off. I was crying for about 10 minutes straight before I could see clearly enough to finish the manga. It changed me. I wish I could have that kind of love with someone.
Sep 13, 2017 6:42 AM
Sep 2017
I dont know of your into BL but the manga Castle Mango is actually pretty good and along those lines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: Poll: » How did you find out about the AGUY club?

Queen2408 - Jul 20, 2010

21 by CloudyRing »»
Sep 8, 2019 2:02 PM

» The Uke-Sensei List (Student x Teacher)

Geisha_X - Aug 23, 2009

44 by Geisha_X »»
Dec 4, 2018 11:15 PM

» Looking for some AGUke Manga? ( 1 2 3 )

Queen2408 - Jul 24, 2009

117 by Geisha_X »»
Dec 2, 2018 1:30 AM

» The Showbiz Yaoi List ( 1 2 )

Geisha_X - Feb 1, 2010

81 by Geisha_X »»
Dec 1, 2018 4:32 PM

Poll: » Manga discussion: Seven Days

Geisha_X - Feb 1, 2010

21 by Geisha_X »»
Dec 1, 2018 1:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.