New
Jun 11, 2009 1:24 PM

Apr 2008
Tell about your experiences.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 12, 2009 6:57 PM

Feb 2009
I'll do a top 5:

1) When Yusaku finds out Kyoko was a widow. That's when it takes a leap from a nice, light comedy to something more meaningful. That whole revelation adds a very melancholy air to the series from that point onward. That's the moment that Kyoko is changed from an idealized beauty to more of a real person with a real life.

2) Kyoko's introspection and self-revelation in episode 52, when she comes to terms with the fact that she actually is starting to move on, whether she wants to or not.

3) (yet another Souichiro gravesite scene!) episode 76, when she more or less confesses to Souichiro that she's ready to remarry, while she's holding that green block that Godai made for the kindergarteners...

4) "Promise me... that even if it's by one more day... you'll outlive me." Most touching and romantic line I've ever heard. Sure beats the hell out of "You complete me" and "You had me at hello."

5) The ending. What a beautiful, heartfelt and absolutely, thoroughly satisfying way to end a series.

Jun 13, 2009 4:07 AM

Apr 2008
Those moments left me with goosebumps.

I'll add the time when Godai had to go to a job interview but found a troubled pregnant woman on the way, helped her and took her to the hospital and failed the job interview. Ibuki's father thought of him as a punk for failing it but Ibuki believed in him and when she found out about what really happened and told her father and everyone it was a really moving scene.
Jul 20, 2009 10:18 PM

Apr 2008
ArnoldK said:

4) "Promise me... that even if it's by one more day... you'll outlive me."

This. Summed up Kyoko's entire dilemma about remarrying completely and perfectly, and even better for me, it was said by my favorite voice actress, Sumi Shimamoto. Everything about that scene was wonderful.
Jul 21, 2009 11:09 AM

Mar 2008
One of my favorite not listed moment is early on in the series when she loses her dog and Godai finds him. She's walking home and she sees Souichiro and a shadowy figure that is Godai and calls out to the dog and both turn around just like in the past. Just watching the scene there's so much visually stunning along with the silence that extends that scene into feeling much longer than it really is. Kyoko's own words get caught in her throat as the street lamps pass by her and eventually lights up Godai's face. She has this hesitation to her that even a seasoned actress would have trouble imitating and the song that plays is amazing and well placed as well (Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again). I saw that as a real piviatl moment in her developing feelings for Godai, however at that point it was because she saw Souichiro in him, and later as the series progresses she falls in love with him for who he is, and not just as a replacement for her lost husband.
Jul 21, 2009 4:54 PM

Apr 2008
Great moment there also. You can point already pointed moments even though they have already been talked before. Your perspective of them may be different. ;)
Jul 21, 2009 11:17 PM

Mar 2008
Yeah, but seriously if I talked about my favorite moments of that series I would be typing all day. I would turn in a 1000+ word review of the series as 'favorite moment's and still probably feel that I'm forgetting some. I've watched the series straight through 4 times and parts way more. I could literally go episode by episode and pick out why what scene is great and why and then most likely add a complaint as to other animes not doing it like Maison Ikkoku and other older great animes used to do.

That scene happens really earlier and I just remember after it happened that no matter what I had to finish this series.
Jul 22, 2009 5:02 AM

Apr 2008
Jul 23, 2009 10:41 PM

Mar 2008
Don't tempt me. It'd take forever... I'm already fighting back the urge to watch it again.
Jul 24, 2009 1:10 AM

Apr 2008
I fight that urge always. And the best thing is that that urge is winning agains me, since I haven't watched the series since like 5/4 years. :P
Jul 24, 2009 7:24 AM

Mar 2008
Hah, well I just watched the first 20 episodes awhile back and then started something else I had to watch and never got back to it. So I feel like I got my fill then, but I know since I didn't finish I'll have to at a time. I also only made it half way through the live action movie before the video's took to long to load ;_;
Sep 9, 2009 3:00 AM
Apr 2008
3) Carrying Kyoko's father back home after he drank too much. Not much I can say, it was just a perfect scene and sort of mental resolution leading to the final episodes. You really see how much Godai has come since the first episodes of the series, becoming a responsible and well-rounded person.

2) When Mitaka discovers that Godai has a final the next day, tells him he has to give his best effort to Kyoko. This scene makes Mitaka into a real person, maybe even more than all the other characters. He puts aside his rivalry and grudge, realizing that Godai has incidentally become a friend, and he has to look out for Godai and Kyoko's future.

1) This is a tie for me. Kyoko's "live longer than me" speech is shockingly concise and moving while summing up 50% of the show's issues. Godai covers the other half, after Kozue asked him about the woman he had been seeing, he narrates on the train home, "The woman I love is jealous, cries, and gets mad a lot. But when she smiles, nothing else matters."

Godai and Kyoko are flawed characters, and unlike the flawed characters of Hollywood, it doesn't take a couple of weeks and a few fights to fix their issues. We don't get to just love the parts that are easy to get along with. We don't love our partners with a scalpel in the other hand ready to cut away all the ugly and troublesome parts.

Kyoko and Godai have been DIFFICULT to deal with beyond most romantic characters in popular fiction, and either the flaws are reaffirmed and embraced by Godai and seen as the strength of the series, or they are seen as a hurdle to get past and mere plot devices to let the show go for 96 episodes. Godai says, "The woman I love is flawed, and human, and I love her no matter what"
Sep 9, 2009 3:22 AM

Apr 2008
pastafiend said:
Godai and Kyoko are flawed characters, and unlike the flawed characters of Hollywood, it doesn't take a couple of weeks and a few fights to fix their issues. We don't get to just love the parts that are easy to get along with. We don't love our partners with a scalpel in the other hand ready to cut away all the ugly and troublesome parts.

very good reply Pastafiend. It was a very nice way of putting it.
Oct 7, 2009 6:42 PM

Feb 2009
pastafiend said:
3) Carrying Kyoko's father back home after he drank too much. Not much I can say, it was just a perfect scene and sort of mental resolution leading to the final episodes. You really see how much Godai has come since the first episodes of the series, becoming a responsible and well-rounded person.

I also love this moment because the first half of the episode was more or less light comedy about Godai trying to figure out the right time, place, and words for the proposal. But then when he does propose, he forgets all that , and it doesn't matter that it's not what most would consider the most ideal proposal scenario (I doubt anyone plans to propose while walking home in the middle of the night, carrying their drunk father in law to be on their back) .

All that mattered was that he loved Kyoko, wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, and that his heart knew that this was the right time to do it.

Oct 7, 2009 6:58 PM

Apr 2008
Reading these replies makes me feel good- ^_^
Oct 10, 2009 5:44 PM

Aug 2008
One of my favorite parts is when Godai takes care of Kyoko, the kitten, and the events that follow after Godai loses her. He's in his room shouting "Kyoko, here Kyoko!" Kyoko comes running into his room thinking somethings wrong and seeing all the empty cans of cat food laying on the floor offers to make him lunch.
Oct 10, 2009 5:56 PM

Apr 2008
Haha! excellent scene, more for the comedy though.

I remembered now that part when there are workers are fixing the balcony early in the day, once there Godai remembers to tel Kyoko to make them fix the hole in the wall on his room, but Mr. Yotsuya threatens him of telling the manager of when hes saying her name alone in the dark of his room at night, but what Godai may be doing while saying the managers name, he wonders. Happened that Kyoko heard everything and despise Mr. Yotsuya pledgings for mercy she decided to fix the wall in the room.

Priceless chapter/scene.

Keep them coming.
Nov 21, 2009 9:31 AM
Jun 2008
I have so many scenes that I liked. The many misunderstandings that made this anime so great as a romance manga/anime is what made me fall in love with it. Its been a while since I saw the whole thing, and I've watched the OVA of the summary of the series countless times, so I'll post the few that stand out in my mind.

1) After he tells Kyoko finally (somewhere between episode 93 and 95) he visits Soichiro's grave and talks to Soichiro about how he is jealous of him because Kyoko will never forget him, and Kyoko sees him talk to him (though he cant see her). The music Yoru no Ame(i think its spelled, which translates to Night rain) is probably the saddest most romantic BGM in the whole series. Just having these two combined things gives me chills every time I see it. I cried the first time I saw it. It was just too perfect.

2) The rain scene where godai is drinking before his exams and Kyoko slaps him, dropping the umbrella. It was really important to Kyoko that he do his best, and the disappointment and sadness made it obvious that she really cared about him. I also loved how Mitaka were drunk and that was the only time they werent drunk. It was comedic but at the same time really touching to see.

3) The misunderstand (forget which episode though) where Kyoko goes on a vacation and Godai looks everywhere for her, and never finds her even though they were so close the entire time. These kinds of moments made the episodes so easy to look forward, because it was always something new.

4) The Akemi/Godai love hotel thing. I loved watching godai chase after kyoko, though he did this a bunch of times ^.^

I might rewatch it sometime soon, but there are definitely a lot more I liked. Hell, I liked every episode of Maison Ikkoku ^_^
Nov 21, 2009 10:39 AM

Apr 2008
Beautiful moments there. :)
Nov 23, 2009 7:23 AM

Jun 2009
of course i loved every bit of maison ikkoku, even ichinose's ranting, soichiro the dog's idle moments and yotsuya's eccentric acts. every godai-kyoko scene is my favorite too.

but the most memorable line of MI for me? it's not "live longer than me" or "this is the place where your mom and dad first met" or some of those really 'known' lines.

it was the christmas event line, the one with the stone. godai said,

"shall we take the long way?"

and kyoko responded with, was that a "yes" or a "mmm". either way, she accepted.

that was the most memorable line of maison ikkoku for me. it's symbolic. godai was asking her "to take the long way", and she did. in the end, after all that's happened, it went well, even if they took "the long way".

pardon me for the repetitiveness of my post. it's just that the words were so beautiful. :)

I am a guy. Don't let my avatar, Yukishiro Tomoe, fool you.
Nov 23, 2009 9:00 AM

Apr 2008
Nice add.

I might add, that that scene was exclusively made for the anime, it wasn't on the manga. But what a beautiful scene it was. :)
Dec 23, 2009 7:26 AM

Jun 2009
One of my favorite scenes is used as my profile pic, the scene where Godai claims that he has given up on Kyoko. The look on her face in my pic says it all.

I can't remember the exact words, but the scene right after Godai finally breaks things off with Kozue and she asks him what the woman he loves is like he think on the subway something along the lines of "She's selfish and gets jealous easily, but I love her anyway."

Anyone who knows the line exactly help me out. Also the any and all of the graveyard scenes are incredibly well written, directed, and acted.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 24, 2010 5:41 AM

Apr 2009
ArnoldK said:
I also love this moment because the first half of the episode was more or less light comedy about Godai trying to figure out the right time, place, and words for the proposal. But then when he does propose, he forgets all that , and it doesn't matter that it's not what most would consider the most ideal proposal scenario (I doubt anyone plans to propose while walking home in the middle of the night, carrying their drunk father in law to be on their back) .

All that mattered was that he loved Kyoko, wanted to spend the rest of his life with her, and that his heart knew that this was the right time to do it.

That's one of my favorite parts too, great stuff. Pretty much, Kyoko and Godai finally getting together was immensely satisfying.

Another favorite of mine was the rivaly between Godai and Mitaka, I especially loved that episode where they kept trying to fight. And ended up getting drunk instead.
Jan 6, 2013 10:03 PM

Apr 2011
insan3soldiern said:
One of my favorite scenes is used as my profile pic, the scene where Godai claims that he has given up on Kyoko. The look on her face in my pic says it all.

That tear...
Feb 15, 2013 1:55 AM
Nov 2010
One of My Greatrst Moments I s When Godai Confessed To Kyoko In Episode 92
That Was One Totaly Special Moment !
♥♥♥♥♥♥
May 28, 2013 12:31 AM
Jul 2018
The moment when Yusaku was thinking about an original way to propose to Kyoko.

Among the lines he had in mind, it was also one which sounded like this:
"Kyoko, let us get buried in the same grave."
May 28, 2013 10:40 AM

Apr 2008
Athelfirth said:
The moment when Yusaku was thinking about an original way to propose to Kyoko.

Among the lines he had in mind, it was also one which sounded like this:
"Kyoko, let us get buried in the same grave."
Hahaha :D that was hilarious.
May 1, 2014 2:06 PM

May 2014
Episode 27: After Soichiro passed away, Kyoko is sitting on the porch in front of the Otonashi estate. Then Soichiro (the dog) runs past and sniffs the shoes of Soichiro. Kyoko asks him if he is looking for Soichiro and then explains crying that her husband is never going to come back again. (ashita hareru ka (instrumetal) in the background)

Episode 96: The end scene. "We are home, Haruka. Home. You see, this is the place... where mommy and daddy first met." (with the instrumental version of kanashimi yo konnichiwa in background)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Maison Ikkoku Similar Titles

RobdeFR - Oct 10, 2009

9 by Mangos-and-Manga »»
Oct 27, 2015 7:43 PM

» I've just finished Maison Ikkoku, here are my thoughts...

RobdeFR - Sep 13, 2009

1 by abotreika »»
May 1, 2014 2:21 PM

» Favorite supporting character in MI?

ArnoldK - Nov 17, 2009

11 by Gurenn »»
Nov 28, 2013 5:56 PM

» Maison Ikkoku: What You Never Knew

HisokaHajime - Mar 7, 2010

7 by Vigyk »»
Nov 25, 2011 8:09 PM

» When was the last time you read/watched MI?

RobdeFR - Aug 7, 2009

8 by RobdeFR »»
Feb 14, 2010 11:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.