Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 14, 2010 12:53 AM

Jul 2009
sad episode T__T
Apr 14, 2010 11:59 PM

Oct 2008
nice episode....really nice....
Apr 18, 2010 4:38 PM

Nov 2008
It was a great episode. I did not expect Huges to die. It seems like this series will far more interesting than I originally thought.
May 10, 2010 8:21 PM

Jun 2009
Welp, the inevitable happened. Much earlier in this series than the other one. They're really rushing through what took about 25 episodes to do in the first series aren't they? Hmm, well, still sad seeing Hughes die once again. Sigh..
May 19, 2010 2:35 AM

Sep 2009
Sad episode. I feel bad for the mother and child.
Jul 3, 2010 7:01 PM

Aug 2009
WHAT THE FUCK MAN MY MAN HUGHES DIED? WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT IS GOING ON MAN I THOUGHT HE'S ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS AND YET HE DIED IN A SINGLE DIGIT EPISODE NUMBER (Episode 9). Okay I'm done crying but seriously I didn't expect this happening.

This is starting to feel like it's a thriller/suspense series, and I like it. How ironic was that when Ed, Al, and Win were talking about Hughes the same time he was killed, lmao lol. Also, wtf how did that black dressed girl got into the building? I'm thinking that someone let her in. That or she just snuck in, lol.

Anways, I'm so excited to see the Elric brother's master. They're going to go there to be stronger. Yes that's what I'd like to see, some training. :3
Jul 3, 2010 9:06 PM
Sep 2009
Moonfrost said:
I THOUGHT HE'S ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS AND YET HE DIED IN A SINGLE DIGIT EPISODE NUMBER (Episode 9)

Except that this was episode 10, not episode 9. So he died in the first double-digit episode.
Jul 9, 2010 5:12 AM

Apr 2010
RYnky-san said:
Poor Hughes, he died so soon, it's so sad, like babykeiji, I really cried when Elicia shouted, I wonder what will happen to Ed, Ad and Win if they know this,

I hated that, but I have to admit, I did cry too when Elicia was like "Stop! Don't bury him"
I can't help it, it does make me cry each time I see that part...She doesn't know he's dead already...

Ed and Al wanted to thank him when they come back...Also Winry....I guess that'd be much of a nasty surprise and a shock.

I hope they get stronger so that they can prevent such tragedies from flaring again..

We'll miss you Hughes, or at least I will. 。゚(゚ノД`゚)゚。
Jul 11, 2010 4:46 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah, the death of Hughes was sadder in the last series because he had a bit more screen time. But the man was pretty awesome, it sucks we never got to see him fight...
Jul 22, 2010 2:06 PM

Jul 2010
really gread episode, what i like in this series is this mix between comedy, action and drama, i hope that the next episodes are eqaully good
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Aug 27, 2010 1:19 AM

May 2010
i cry at Hughes funeral...

R.I.P Brigadier General Maes Hughes (T~T)

My Membercards
Aug 29, 2010 10:39 PM

Jan 2008
Hughes was given more screen time in the previous series because there were like 20 more episodes before the funeral. This is only episode 10.

I thought Elicia crying wasn't as sad as the original series though. She didn't have as much insistence about Hughes doing work.

Although the raining scene was so much more emotional in Brotherhood. I think Riza not understanding at first followed by the tear make it so much more gut-wrenching.

Still a great episode. RIP Brigadier General Maes Hughes
Sep 8, 2010 8:55 AM

Jun 2010
I actually found this sadder than the original anime and manga, maybe because Elicia was so great in this one and the relationship beetween Roy and Hughes seemed closer than in the original anime. I definitely cryed a lot more in this one
Oct 6, 2010 7:05 AM

Dec 2008
Awww, damn Hughes!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!
*crying hysterically*
Oct 10, 2010 5:40 PM

Apr 2009
Not as well handled as the original, but still made my throat dry beyond nearly anything else I've seen, mainly because he was always my favourite FMA character.
Nov 9, 2010 10:01 PM

May 2009
Is this how quickly Hughes dies in the manga?!

I really hope they just decided to rush his death in this series because they assume we've all watched the previous adaptation. Otherwise it's both sad and odd that one of the most popular characters of the show is only around for such a short time. :|
Nov 12, 2010 9:28 AM

Feb 2009
Athena said:

I really hope they just decided to rush his death in this series because they assume we've all watched the previous adaptation. Otherwise it's both sad and odd that one of the most popular characters of the show is only around for such a short time. :|

He was only around the first few volumes.

And Hughes's overall popularity is higher here than in Japan.

Nov 17, 2010 3:43 AM

May 2009
ArnoldK said:
Athena said:

He was only around the first few volumes.

And Hughes's overall popularity is higher here than in Japan.
Thanks for that.
I guess I've always assumed Hughes was popular because, well, he is very popular in BL doujinshi. Then again, that's a completely different demographic.
Dec 10, 2010 8:21 AM

Nov 2009
*Sigh*....Guys, it's raining.....
Dec 23, 2010 3:15 AM

May 2009
TomPaul15 said:
T.T no more Hughes for the rest of the anime :(
Dec 23, 2010 3:15 AM

May 2009
TomPaul15 said:
T.T no more Hughes for the rest of the anime :(
Feb 9, 2011 2:32 PM
Feb 2010
NOOO he was one of my favorite characters!!!!

~ A woman's determination can move the mightiest of stones~
Feb 12, 2011 8:32 AM

Sep 2010
ChibiMilly said:
This episode just became my favorite episode other than episode 4.

The emotions were portrayed very well. :(

Totally agree. These people definitely know how to manage the publics reactions.
"If you can eliminate all the other choices, the remaining choice, no matter how improbable, it is the answer."- Sherlock Holmes
Mar 11, 2011 1:51 AM

Aug 2009
I don't know about the first series , but they killed him here too quickly..

It's sad , but i can't be that emotional , because you know.. this is 10/64 and he didn't get much character development.
Apr 25, 2011 3:26 PM

May 2010
Very sad, the Elicia part got to me. ;_;
May 2, 2011 9:02 AM

Oct 2010
adamantine said:
But wow, it was pretty horrifying going from Hughes to the happy kids on the train. DDDDDD:

Felt the same way. ;___;

sert908 said:
Very sad, the Elicia part got to me. ;_;

This. I starting sobbing when Elicia went all "Why are they burying papa?"

And Roy's "It's raining" line was great. Thumbs up.
[insert awesome signature here]
May 13, 2011 4:39 PM

Jul 2009
I've been loving the series so far but seriously this episode really pissed me off. They really went overboard with the super deformed animation and Lust is once again at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time, but what annoyed me is this.

It made it really hard for me to feel sad when he died even though I liked him as a character, especially since they right after the incident jumped to the cheerful train scene before I had the chance to fully take in the moment.
MezziazMay 13, 2011 4:47 PM
Jul 2, 2011 12:09 PM

Dec 2010
There are no “private” or “public” matters involved. Aiming to become Fuhrer-President and avenging Hughes’ death... are both my will as an individual. This words deserve to be remembered forever.
And for anything else in this episode... I'm not going to comment it, Hughes' death is enough for the episode, not to mention the anime at all.
Aug 1, 2011 1:11 AM

May 2010
Great episode.

I already got spoiled of Hughes' death but still it was touching as if I've never got spoiled.

Roy Mustang seems cool btw. :)
Aug 2, 2011 2:51 PM
Jul 2010
This was damn sad... I mean, the guy had a family... And he totally loved them. That scene when Elecia was saying "Don't bury papa!" really got to me. But what did he find out exactly? Why was he killed? I can't connect the dots from what he said to himself while he was in the library. And how the hell did Lust get inside the building? Isn't that supposed to be hard? Crap, I'm just left with lots of questions. Roy was pretty cool in the end of the episode too. And Riza seems to have a reason for following him too. I really wanna find out all that. Glad I picked this up during summer vacation^^

Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 25, 2011 5:29 AM

Dec 2008
The Fuhrer's meeting with Hughes seemed like an important plot point that wasn't included in the original. Interesting timing of events.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Aug 29, 2011 2:03 AM

Aug 2011
The melon part was funny (: . Maes noooooo +_+ !!!!
Oct 10, 2011 12:26 PM

May 2011
"it's raining..."

I didn't just manly tear this episode...
Oct 28, 2011 6:14 PM

Oct 2009
=/

:'(

=/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2012 1:25 PM

May 2008
So far this anime is way too crammed. Hughes death was as emotional as watching grass grow.

Scene was much better in the original. So far this anime has been okay to good at best. I hear they deviate from the original anime and into the original manga in episode 13/14. I just hope so, because so far the amount of stuff they crammed into these past 10 episodes has been insane, and storyline pacing has been rushed.

No doubt most of the high scores been received from the original manga materiel, but its been hard viewing for the first 10 episodes and I LOVE both the orignal (depite the fillers which were great) and the Manga.
ZelnagaFeb 4, 2012 1:28 PM
Apr 17, 2012 6:42 AM

May 2011
Like it still
A little bit more of Maes will be great !!!
I have two sides - The kind, shy Hina
The CRAZY, weapon-lover Hina !
May 7, 2012 12:05 PM

Mar 2011
The spoilers in the last episode thread took away the emotion and shock of what occurred.
May 8, 2012 10:14 PM

Nov 2011
Manly tears.
May 12, 2012 8:00 PM

Jul 2009
I wasn't really crazy about how Hughes died at first, but after watching FMA again a few years later, it's a bit saddening this time around cause he really was a good father/person.
May 16, 2012 1:21 PM

Sep 2011
Woah that was quick. Was this episode aired that quickly in the original series? (its been awhile) xD

As for the episode, dayum, that was so sad and unfortunate. I saw it coming (obviously), but it was still sad nonetheless. ;-;
Jun 19, 2012 9:51 PM

Jun 2009
I really have no idea why some people think this is rushed. It may be shocking but, Hughes isn't really all that important a character. What this episode was meant to do is give some background on Mustang and give him some added motivation as well as show that there is a conspiracy in the military. I thought it was a really well directed episode, particularly from the death scene on. I liked how they inter-cut the children into the mix of the funeral, his daughter's reaction, and Mustang's "It's raining" line.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 12, 2012 3:30 AM

May 2012
Even though it was a sad episode it was a great episode, they really made a great compact version of this tragic scene! Maes Hughes you'll be missed! It's sad that he didn't came to much in these couple of episodes bcs in the original you saw him more as a bigger role and it was even more tragic to see him get killed!

Even though great episode!
Oct 13, 2012 12:28 PM

Jan 2009
kie_ said:
Hughes death wasn't as sad as it was in the original.

I agree, and I think the really heavy dramatic score didn't help. Something with more sorrow, perhaps? I didn't feel as much as I should during this scene. =(
Oct 29, 2012 8:54 PM

Jul 2009
yeah it kinda felt like their rushing Hughes death.

next thing the fight ends just like that, then next he walks towards a booth then went outside out of nowhere.

the original was more slow paced, heck he even get's to kill the imposter Ross then Envy quickly switches to Gracia.

here he just switch to Ross then to Gracia.

they also didn't show how Hughes and Roy came to a agreement that Hughes will help Roy get to the top since he looked like a drunk man who has no ambition.

they didn't also show Ed seeing Hughes at the train stop, making him wonder why he's there.

the dialogue is pretty much the same though

it's good to watch the first season right after since your memory of it is fresh and you'll be able to compare the differences between the two.

overall it's still amazing episode.

Hughes is much more bloody and he get's to say one last thing before he dies.
Oct 29, 2012 8:58 PM

Jul 2009
i almost forgot that King Bradley actually visits the Elric brothers instead of just sending some food to them.

pretty cool ^^
Jan 7, 2013 10:03 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
damnnnnn, although the Original was LOTS sadder, I still feel sad that Hughes died :(
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jan 17, 2013 2:12 PM

Jan 2011
Man...even though you know exactly what is going to happen, it still gets you everytime.
Jan 20, 2013 1:00 AM

Nov 2012
Hughes..... T^T I cried so much when Elicia started freaking out.
Jan 25, 2013 11:30 AM

Jun 2010
I've finished the series quite some time ago, but heck, I can come back here and give my three cents still. And if I were to pick the best episode of the FMA:B, it would definitely be... difficult. But I think this one is a prime candidate for me.

Before this episode, despite all this talk about transmuting humans' souls and stuff, I imagined FMA to be just another adventure, shonen or something. Boy, I was proved wrong and this episode was what made me realize that.

Before episode 10 I thought Hughes was just a comic relief. And while his cheerfulness and easy-going nature helped him play that role well, there was much more to that. And all this emotional-foreshadowing! Hughes pestering everybody with all this stuff about his family? Roy getting annoyed by his carefree attitude? You come back to previous episodes and suddenly the "jokes" aren't that funny anymore. In fact, they make you cry.

Also. I love "comic reliefs" who turn out to be clever bastards (solved the mystery of the whole anime tens of episodes before anybody else) and/or the greatest of friends despite the "he just hangs around and is annoying" thing going on most of the time (Roy, dude, I can see how much you'd like to go back on dome of your words now).

Personally I like to think that the "It's raining" line is a foreshadowing to the last (and the best) opening song of the anime, titled RAIN, which in turn I like to think is a tribute to Hughes. Hey, don't question me.

Disclaimer: I did not and do not intend to watch the first anime. No matter how good it might be, I wanted to see the story the Author wanted to tell. Besides, I heard the characters were all messed around with in that one, good guys being bad and vice versa, I don't see how it could work for me at all. I guess it's good the first anime was made, since it gained popularity and made the Brotherhood a) possible and b) BUDGET'D AS F*CK, but after Brotherhood got made, there's really no reason to watch the first one IMO. Aside from "what the heck is this, lol, they got it all wrong" feeling. Which some enjoy. I don't.

HUGHES!

Apr 8, 2013 8:36 PM

Aug 2012
That moment when I found out that the anime scene that involved a little girl crying over her father and the work he needed to do was in this anime.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.