Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 12, 2007 11:23 PM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very awesome
Hirono finally decides but not after almost losing both kei and miyako
he finally stopped going half-assed
so great that he chose miyako but who didnt see that coming(great part with the phone and the countdown was really well done)
the whole episode was on hirono kei and miyako no chihiro but that just means more Chihiro next episode since Hirono x Miyako is pretty set and done
Dec 12, 2007 11:36 PM

Jan 2007
gah, by 11 min.

Spectacular episode. I'm so happy that Hirono chose Miyako and the phone conversation countdown was just great. I especially loved how they were cut off and it was in black and white and then Hirono showed up and it transitioned into color. I guess this half of the show is done. Looking forward to the conclusion to Chihiro and Renji
Dec 12, 2007 11:38 PM

Nov 2007
This episode was nothing short of a masterpiece, from start to finish it was like riding on an emotional roller coaster.
Dec 12, 2007 11:46 PM

Sep 2007
Shadow_Strider said:
This episode was nothing short of a masterpiece, from start to finish it was like riding on an emotional roller coaster.

I couldn't have said it better.

My emotions are pulled in all different directions as I watched it. Not only was the animation beautiful, the musical accompaniment matched the mood perfectly. Their dialogue while a bit cheesy was very emotional. I definitely sat through most of the episode in suspense. I honestly couldn't find a flaw in it. Way to go SHAFT!
Dec 12, 2007 11:47 PM

Sep 2007
YEAH HIRO! I love this show more and more with each passing episode. The telephone scene showed how Shaft can take a limited budget and once again produce a masterwork. The music continues to be A+ from tenmon, too.

Next ep I assume we get the Chihiro/Renji ending.
Dec 13, 2007 1:32 AM

Jun 2007
This episode was amazing. I was totally blown away with the outcome of the whole episode. Just when I though he was gonna loose them both it just all clicked and everything fell into place. If only real life was always like that lol.

Updated Relationship chart below. The last ep I will compose all the charts that I've made for each ep into one large chart that shows the step by step progression of each of the relationships throughout the series.
Dec 13, 2007 2:50 AM

Nov 2007
Oh ef, how I <3 you so.

This probably should have been the ending of the whole series. If the ending can top this, it'll instantly become one of my favorites.
Dec 13, 2007 2:52 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Wow that was intense. Down. Right. Awesome. I loved every single second of it, the only thing I didn't like was that there was no OP song. But the episode made up for it. Mindblowing. The color play in this anime is amazing.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 13, 2007 3:35 AM

Nov 2007
Still totally loving Ef! So glad with Hirono's decision! And the phone countdown added suspense especially when it ended. I'd say out of all the other episodes, I really noticed the background colors on it. Mostly the sky lol. I dunno, I was just amazed by it. Characters, effects, sounds, art, stories.. Really great! Just waitin for Renji and Chihiro! Hope that can top this off! <3
Dec 13, 2007 3:43 AM

Oct 2007
Shadow_Strider said:

Seriously, the best sentence for this anime!!!

Everything is simply a masterpiece with this anime, lovely...
The colors, the effect, the relationships... Banzai for Kyosuke, thank you for slapping hirono-kun around till he realized what he has to do!!!!

Hirono-kun and Miyako forever!!!

Dec 13, 2007 4:26 AM

Oct 2007
and Miyako wins!!! yay \o/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#koharubi@irc.rizon.net
#ayu@irc.rizon.net

Dec 13, 2007 4:41 AM

Oct 2007
this episode is just awesome,
im definitely a kei fan, but this episode gives me the feeling, that hiro and miyako are a good couple.. it just overflowed my feelings to miya ...
Dec 13, 2007 5:57 AM

Oct 2007
DeathfireD said:
This episode was amazing. I was totally blown away with the outcome of the whole episode. Just when I though he was gonna loose them both it just all clicked and everything fell into place...

That exactly how I felt whist watching this episode, because everything seemed to be spiraling out of control and then came that amazing "Countdown" scene =D.

Now that their story is pretty much over, I wonder how Renji and Chihiro's story will turn out, because I just can't see a complete happy ending. T_T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2007 6:53 AM

Sep 2007
hmm then we probably have a only chihiro XX Renji next episode and then its only 1 more to go. i hope they will introduce us to that mysteries girl that always show up.
geez so hard when another season of animes end....
Dec 13, 2007 8:23 AM

Nov 2007
OPs get repetitive anyway. When an episode foregos it, I know it's going to be epic, because the writers absolutely NEEDED 90 more seconds.

And it was spectacular. I wasn't expecting all 100 counts to go to zero. And when it got down to 10, I was at the edge of my seat.

The engineer in me couldn't help but time the counts, though. Each tick was about 3 seconds of real time.
Dec 13, 2007 8:28 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Crisu said:
OPs get repetitive anyway. When an episode foregos it, I know it's going to be epic, because the writers absolutely NEEDED 90 more seconds.
Hai hai, I know that, the OP song is just one of the best I've ever heard. :D

Crisu said:
[I] couldn't help but time the counts, though. Each tick was about 3 seconds of real time.
Lol, same here.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 13, 2007 9:14 AM

Dec 2007
AWESOME. THE EPISODE WAS GREAT. this is definetly one of the best animes that i have ever watched. 10000000000 thumbs up for ef-a tale of memories....though i am a litle sad that it ends soon.
Dec 13, 2007 9:55 AM

Jun 2007
was great sort of feeling when Hirono found her
also love that little scene when he is at the fork in a road and he just stands there doesnt go either way but just stands there
Dec 13, 2007 10:36 AM

Dec 2006
was anyone else confused about what he did with kei? if they really decided not to get married or whatever then that's contrary to my experience - girls don't give up that easily. i guess kei was prepared to let miyako win after all. pretty amazing. i was always rooting for miyako so you can imagine how i feel about that.
Dec 13, 2007 11:09 AM

Nov 2007
I love this episode :D The countdown scene was brilliant, the music!! I looking forward OST. So Hirono x Miyako is is set, what left is Renji and Chihiro and I wonder if it will be something more about Kei and Kyosuke :P or it will be about Yuko?
Dec 13, 2007 11:10 AM

May 2007
Lol shit dude everyone watched ef right away when it got released huh. Lol.
Dec 13, 2007 11:23 AM

Oct 2007
dancu said:
also love that little scene when he is at the fork in a road and he just stands there doesnt go either way but just stands there

I felt that too... It was his choices, and he was going nowhere with them... (at first)
Dec 13, 2007 11:32 AM

Oct 2007
ZoiQ said:

Yep, I usually get the .avi release for my anime but I just couldn't wait and ended up getting the .mkv =P. Well now that it's out I might as well download the .avi version. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2007 11:52 AM

Nov 2007
ZoiQ said:

Nah, I had to go to bed when I finally noticed the .mkv torrent link. But it was one of the first things I did after getting up this morning. ^^;

I prefer .mkvs anyway because of their video compression and softsub capability. But I'll download the .avi for any series if it's significantly smaller in filesize .. or in a smaller resolution. My laptop is a bit old and can't play 720p or similar-quality videos; my video card commits suicide.
Dec 13, 2007 12:06 PM

Jun 2007
protoman96 said:
was anyone else confused about what he did with kei? if they really decided not to get married or whatever then that's contrary to my experience - girls don't give up that easily. i guess kei was prepared to let miyako win after all. pretty amazing. i was always rooting for miyako so you can imagine how i feel about that.

Ya, I was originally confused and then at the end of the ep I re-watched that part and it all made sense. In a nutshell, kei and Hiro both had the same feelings for each other but Kei was to scared to tell him and Hiro was to indecisive to make a choice between his Manga and a relationship. Then Miyako popped into the relationship causing him to be even more indecisive about who he really likes. So then So the part where Hiro shows up at her door and tells her his plans for the future (ie. quite school and do full time manga) shows that he is no longer going to do things half heartedly. Then the last scene where Kei is talking about how she just wants to go back to the way things use to be is referring to them being the happy caring brother and sister that they where back when he was like 7. The last part where shes confessing to him through the door and he's saying is Ya, ya, ya and she opens and sees him crying is when she realizes that he had the same feelings but it was hard for him to make a choice until now. Now that he has already made the choice of Miyako he feels its only right to give her a clear answer as to how he truly feels for her. At the last conversation she says "Its going to be hard, but I'll try really hard to get past it." This means shes going to try and stay as just a sister to him and forget about him as a possible lover.

I think thats about the jist of it. Watch it again and you will understand. If you still dont get it keep watching that part.
Dec 13, 2007 12:51 PM

Sep 2007
No Chihiro or Renji but this was a fantastic episode anyway. Love the whole build-up in the phone booth and I went through some crazy emotions as the timer started getting closer and closer to 0!
Friendlysoul said:
dancu said:

I felt that too... It was his choices, and he was going nowhere with them... (at first)

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Loved that <3

Have you ever had an anime help you realize something about yourself because one of the characters is going through what you're going through? That was me this episode. And because I love any anime that is able to tap into my thoughts and feelings, this gets to go from a 9 to a 10 :)
Dec 13, 2007 12:54 PM

Aug 2007
wow great ep. i liked when he was standing at the fork in the road. he just couldnt decide XD. finally he ends up with miyako and i had hoped he would :D
Dec 13, 2007 1:10 PM

Jun 2007
ZoiQ said:
i saw it last night like around one in the morning
and it rocked so much i came to discuss it but was surprised that a discussion for episode 10 wasnt started already. Since it is watched right away as soon as it finishes downloading
Dec 13, 2007 1:14 PM

Nov 2007
DeathfireD said:
protoman96 said:

Ya, I was originally confused and then at the end of the ep I re-watched that part and it all made sense. In a nutshell, kei and Hiro both had the same feelings for each other but Kei was to scared to tell him and Hiro was to indecisive to make a choice between his Manga and a relationship. Then Miyako popped into the relationship causing him to be even more indecisive about who he really likes. So then So the part where Hiro shows up at her door and tells her his plans for the future (ie. quite school and do full time manga) shows that he is no longer going to do things half heartedly. Then the last scene where Kei is talking about how she just wants to go back to the way things use to be is referring to them being the happy caring brother and sister that they where back when he was like 7. The last part where shes confessing to him through the door and he's saying is Ya, ya, ya and she opens and sees him crying is when she realizes that he had the same feelings but it was hard for him to make a choice until now. Now that he has already made the choice of Miyako he feels its only right to give her a clear answer as to how he truly feels for her. At the last conversation she says "Its going to be hard, but I'll try really hard to get past it." This means shes going to try and stay as just a sister to him and forget about him as a possible lover.

I think thats about the jist of it. Watch it again and you will understand. If you still dont get it keep watching that part.

I think it was a few years ago that Hiro also thought about being Kei's lover, but since nobody said anything, he decided to view her as a sister and nothing more from then on. If Kei had confessed much earlier, then she and Hiro would have been together, but she waited too long.

So it was Kei's problem in that aspect. Hiro's problem was being indecisive about his career and relationship with Miyako, and he finally fixed that in this episode.

During the scene at the front door, Kei finally realized it was too late and that it was her fault, so the only thing she could feasibly ask for next is for things to go back to brother and sister. And so they agree on that. But just as one last effort, to finally lay the lover thing to rest, she confessed her (romantic) feelings to him -- something she had kept inside her for several years. And all he could say was "yeah..." because he didn't return them, but he will at least acknowledge what she has to say.
Dec 13, 2007 3:27 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Iriya said:
No Chihiro or Renji but this was a fantastic episode anyway. Love the whole build-up in the phone booth and I went through some crazy emotions as the timer started getting closer and closer to 0!

<save space>
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Loved that <3

Have you ever had an anime help you realize something about yourself because one of the characters is going through what you're going through? That was me this episode. And because I love any anime that is able to tap into my thoughts and feelings, this gets to go from a 9 to a 10 :)

Qft. I think it was even more powerful because it reminded me of certain times in my own life. Your post parallels closest to what I thought about this ep.
Dec 13, 2007 3:35 PM

Jun 2007
Crisu said:
DeathfireD said:
protoman96 said:

I think it was a few years ago that Hiro also thought about being Kei's lover, but since nobody said anything, he decided to view her as a sister and nothing more from then on. If Kei had confessed much earlier, then she and Hiro would have been together, but she waited too long.

So it was Kei's problem in that aspect. Hiro's problem was being indecisive about his career and relationship with Miyako, and he finally fixed that in this episode.

During the scene at the front door, Kei finally realized it was too late and that it was her fault, so the only thing she could feasibly ask for next is for things to go back to brother and sister. And so they agree on that. But just as one last effort, to finally lay the lover thing to rest, she confessed her (romantic) feelings to him -- something she had kept inside her for several years. And all he could say was "yeah..." because he didn't return them, but he will at least acknowledge what she has to say.

Yours is better worded then what I said lol.
Dec 13, 2007 3:59 PM

Aug 2007
great ep. pretty much agree with what has already been said. This series has got me all teary eyed and such. (don't tell anybody)
Dec 13, 2007 4:07 PM
Aug 2007
nice episode.....that phone call was really well done especially at the end where he finished his statement and the colors come back I was like...dude this show is too good....
Dec 13, 2007 4:39 PM
Cool Story Bro

Dec 2007
What can I say...this episode was beautiful.
He got to solve all his problems, and get back together with Miyako =D
I love how they focused this complete episode on them, no Renji + Chihiro stuff =P
GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!
Dec 13, 2007 4:57 PM

Jun 2007
awesome episode. ef just keeps getting better, and i am sad we only have 2 more episodes... but i guess thats enough to end an awesome anime.

it was an awesome episode in the ways you all have said, the fact that we all have to choose between one of the many things we can possibly have, the talk with the nun really got into me. it is true that most times, you have to pick between two things you love almost the same. and it is hard finding the answer, which is why i wouldnt blame hiro for being so indecisive, since he finally picked.
the kei part was very well done, and i think i am happy i understood most of it right away. i also had in mind that they were going back to their brother-sister relationship.

and the most interesting part of the episode, once again, is the miya and hiro part. the talk was very well done, and the countdown was amazing. the BGM was really awesome, and they know how to do it to match the character's feelings. i kinda saw the ending of that coming, but nevertheless, i was happy, and i enjoyed it.

hoping for an awesome renji - chihiro episode, and a nun x himura conclusion.
Dec 13, 2007 5:48 PM

Aug 2007
Going to be hard to find another anime as compelling as ef-memo. What's worse is that the Hiro/Miya-Miya arc is officially over, although there was technically no specific story arc per se in the anime.

What I want to say has already been said on this thread...Saves me a lot of typing xD

I believe they cut out the op so they could squeeze in an extra 1:30 for the viewers, that 100 second countdown would have taken out some of the scenes if the op was left in.

Gotta buy the OST, the music by tenmon just blends in with the scenes perfectly. I don't think I've seen an anime with bgm of this caliber! Also the animation is definitely improving, part of me thinks that they saved their budget for the latter episodes.

I think the entire ef story will get wrapped up in the next episode while 12 will act as an epilogue chapter. I'm rooting for a sad ending for the Chihiro arc, the bittersweet ending we got is a bit too happy for my tastes =P

Clannad sure has some pretty big shoes to fill after ef finishes airing :S
Dec 13, 2007 5:50 PM

Nov 2007
Can't sum it up better than it has been. Just awesome. Hirono standing at the fork in the road, the countdown.. very well drawn out.

And the phonebooth in the middle of the cemetary was uh...yeah. haha.
Dec 13, 2007 7:11 PM

Jul 2007
Kept me hanging on every word... with the past couple episodes this series has moved up in my ranks.

Also, I suppose this is the conclusion of the hirano part of the story...
Dec 13, 2007 7:37 PM

Oct 2007
Amazing! This show is great!
Loved the countdown part and how Hirono talked with Kei.
Missed Chihiro~

Dec 13, 2007 7:43 PM

Oct 2007
Kyaa~
Loved it <3
Miyako x Hirono ftw~
The countdown part was done very well, loved the ending to the episode!
Can't wait for more!
Hoping to see more Chihiro and Renji in the next episode, which is pretty much granted :D
Dec 13, 2007 7:51 PM

Jul 2007
MajorAddiction said:
This series has got me all teary eyed and such. )

Aha, me too, -wipes tear- [shhh]
This couldn't be a more perfect ending for this arc. Kei finally confessed her feelings after all those years. Gosh, that scene was just wonderful when they were talking through the closed door. Hopefully she'll end up with Kyousuke -crosses fingers-
The countdown was so hard to watch, when it finished and the phone just went blank, my mouth literally dropped. I was like, holy $*@^, what now? As the color was fading. Then Hiro came in and brought the color back to her world.
Aw man, everything about this anime is perfect. I can't even find something to critique on it. Music, animation and most of all ths plot. This is definetly my fave anime of 2007.
Dec 13, 2007 7:52 PM

Mar 2007
Can't deny it being a great episode even though the story didn't go the way I wanted.

I kept hoping from halfway through the serie that Hirono would in the end lose everything, I hated his character and when it finally seemed like it was going to happen they make a full turn and make him a winner in all aspects.
Dec 13, 2007 8:10 PM

Nov 2007
Crisu said:

Actually I believe if Kei would have confessed to Hirono before Miyaki and Hirono really started to form a connection, Hirono would have returned Kei's feelings. The reason he kept responding with “yeah” while Kei was confessing her love for him was because it was breaking his heart not being able to go to her. He couldn’t say anything else because it was taking everything he had not to break down, and even with just saying “yeah” he was fighting a losing battle with his tears.

Hirono loved both Kei and Miyaki, and Kei had just as good of a chance to be with Hirono as Miyaki had. The reason Miyaki was able to win Hirono’s heart was because she made Hirono notice her feelings. Miyaki constantly took initiative and forced her way into Hirono’s heart by putting her feelings for him out in the open and making sure he knew how she felt. Kei however never allowed herself to confess her feelings for Hirono because she felt guilty about what happened to her sister, so for many years she's stayed by Hirono's side wanting to confess to him but instead she bottled up her feelings because she didn't think she deserved to be with him. Hirono was totally indecisive and not the type of person who takes any initiative, so even though he had feelings for Kei, he never acted on them; and by the time Kei did reveal to him how she felt, Miyaki had already secured her place in Hirono’s heart.
Shadow_StriderDec 13, 2007 9:01 PM
Dec 13, 2007 8:31 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
To all that mess above xD ... I think you're right, Shadow. But laying it out that way makes him kind of wishy-washy :S (I hate wishy-washy characters). But then again, I haven't really felt anything for Hirono. His character has been more static compared to the others, I think. This episode really fleshed him out.

I was thinking of it, and the story alone of ef? It's not anything special. It's really the typical story format (which is used so often, of course, but it works). What pushes this series above the rest is not the story, and I don't even think the characters. It's the art. Without it, I think this series would be ranked waaaay lower than what it is. Not complaining, mind you, just thinking about it.
Dec 13, 2007 8:51 PM

Apr 2007
Finally a break from Chihiro/Renji and a good conclusion to Hirono/Miyako.
Now it's just Camera/Kei and Chihiro/Renji to finish.
I love this series and will be sad when it ends.
Dec 13, 2007 9:21 PM

Jun 2007
Shadow_Strider said:
Crisu said:

Actually I believe if Kei would have confessed to Hirono before Miyaki and Hirono really started to form a connection, Hirono would have returned Kei's feelings. The reason he kept responding with “yeah” while Kei was confessing her love for him was because it was breaking his heart not being able to go to her. He couldn’t say anything else because it was taking everything he had not to break down, and even with just saying “yeah” he was fighting a losing battle with his tears.

Hirono loved both Kei and Miyaki, and Kei had just as good of a chance to be with Hirono as Miyaki had. The reason Miyaki was able to win Hirono’s heart was because she made Hirono notice her feelings. Miyaki constantly took initiative and forced her way into Hirono’s heart by putting her feelings for him out in the open and making sure he knew how she felt. Kei however never allowed herself to confess her feelings for Hirono because she felt guilty about what happened to her sister, so for many years she's stayed by Hirono's side wanting to confess to him but instead she bottled up her feelings because she didn't think she deserved to be with him. Hirono was totally indecisive and not the type of person who takes any initiative, so even though he had feelings for Kei, he never acted on them; and by the time Kei did reveal to him how she felt, Miyaki had already secured her place in Hirono’s heart.

Another good interpretation of the ep. I think the bottom line is everyone had an equal chance to go out with who they wanted because they all shared the same feelings. But no one really acted on those feelings because of their own issues, well except for Miyaki because her issue was being forgotten/ignored. So in the end, if Kei just told him to his face that she liked him, she probably would have become his g/f. O well, to bad they cant just all become one happy sex family lol. ONIIIII-CHAN NOT THERE!!!!!!
Dec 13, 2007 9:48 PM

Jul 2007
Momo-Hime said:
Now it's just Camera/Kei and Chihiro/Renji to finish.

Heh, Camera.

Everyone in this thread said:
Stuff

Lucky for me ef gets a lot of posts, because everything I could say has already been typed up :3 Great episode. This show is way too short.
Dec 14, 2007 12:46 AM

Sep 2007
wow, the love triangle took up the entire show! it was so intense i didn't even realized 20 minutes had past ... awesome episode!
Dec 14, 2007 6:02 AM

Nov 2007
how sad, this wonderful anime will end soon.
Dec 14, 2007 10:25 AM

Apr 2007
I'm late for the party again. ;_;

I don't think I'll be able to say anything that hasn't been said already. But this was too intense and I couldn't leave before giving my opinion.

It's the first time I've actually seen a protagonist making a 'choice'. Usually they just start ignoring the girls they don't want and leave them to cry instead of saying "It's over." When Kei confessed, the background was amazing, I even widened my eyes. Such passion being transmitted. Even so, I couldn't feel for her. I'm not sure if I'm cold, and Miyako isn't even my favourite character. But I just can't feel for Kei. Ever since the beginning, her actions were fated to fail. I just couldn't see Hirono with her.

And talking about Hirono... Wow. Talking about finally growing up. I wasn't pleased when Kyosuke started hitting him because hell, Kei's fault. Denial is a bitch. But he did help. Hirono finally decided what he wanted, because you can't have everything.

Sweet ending for this couple. The phone call started boring but then it scalated. When he yelled "Shut up!", this show turned into a masterpiece, totally.

Totally one of the best romance shows as of late.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

279 by mattchoo »»
Feb 3, 4:46 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

radiantfire - Dec 17, 2007

195 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:08 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Dec 4, 2007

185 by FarCritical »»
May 5, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.