Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Feb 11, 2014 5:11 PM

Aug 2012
Man this emotions. Esp the part where Gon said this isn't fair. I can't imagine what he's feeling.
Feb 11, 2014 5:16 PM
Dec 2012
That was like what, 10 seconds of plot?

make up yo damn mind gon.
Feb 11, 2014 5:16 PM

Oct 2008
Cryptical said:
Gon... is... weird.

Nothing Gon did this episode is out of character. Gon has been liked that basically from the very beginning.
Feb 11, 2014 5:18 PM

Jul 2011
Pitou... is male. If Pitou has a gender that is.

That was intense. I thought it was unlike Gon to act like that though. No desire to save Komugi? Really?

I feel like Killua broke off their friendship right there or something. That expression of his was really sad to see. :(

But I'm a fan of Pitou this episode. His loyalty to the king is amazing.
Feb 11, 2014 5:22 PM

Oct 2008
Cryptical said:
Gon becoming some kind of monster is in my opinion just weird and felt out of place.

I hardly enjoyed this episode. I like how they went more emotional with this episode, but the feelings just didn't reach me. It all feels so sudden and to be honest, I couldn't care less about Kite either. I don't get the relevance of this arc to begin with, apart from the whole bullshit with Kite, so I hope the serie is almost done with it.

One thing I do like is that they're not afraid to have a serious tone in this series. That is cool. But going overboard with the result of not making any sense at all anymore is not cool.

It really isn't out of character - this has always been a side of Gon. Due to a combination of his natural personality and him still being a child, he hasn't really fully integrated the values and morality of society into his being yet. As far as Gon is concerned, while he dislikes blatant evil acts and unjust behavior, he won't typically go out of his way to try bringing justice to those individuals he finds distaste with. Unless, of course, its him or his friends you've messed with; then its personal. Whether or not you agree on the anime's effectiveness in portraying it, Kite was someone Gon deeply confided in and admired - someone probably as or nearly important to him as Killua or his Aunt Mito. His emotional investiture on that level is sparing, but when its pushed to its limits, it's what you saw in this episode. The most important thing to mention regarding why his rage is so profound, however, is the notion that he blames himself for what happened to Kite - that he knew he was powerless to stop it, and in his eyes, was even the cause for Kite's guard being lowered to warn them of the attack. Given Gon's deeply self-confident and highly emotional nature, this hatred is magnified both towards himself and Pitou.

There's also been plenty of precedent in his latent, deviant behavior; befriending Killua, the whole fight with Genthru, and his visible, slow buildup of anticipatory rage in the last 20 or so episodes have all given hints to this.
DangerrFeb 11, 2014 5:29 PM
Feb 11, 2014 5:24 PM

Jul 2013
Cryptical said:
Gon... is... weird.

Gon "freaks"
Feb 11, 2014 5:28 PM

Jun 2011
GalekC said:
Cryptical said:
Gon... is... weird.

Gon "freaks"

I see what you did there.

Feb 11, 2014 5:29 PM

Dec 2009
PERFECTION
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Feb 11, 2014 5:47 PM

May 2012
I agree with the people saying that this was a long time coming. Gon has always been a vengeful person. Here Kite was turned and tortured into something not human. Kite not only someone who saved his life. He's also a connection to his Father. A person that went through the same trials of catching Ging, did and won his respect. Seeing someone spit on that pisses him off. And honestly the show did perfectly to show Gon getting increasingly more angry the closer we got to this point.

Now, like some were saying, he's confronted with target of his revenge but can't do anything about it. So angry that Pitou wasn't going to fight him right then and there that he almost just said "screw it all" until Killua stopped him.

And yeah this the same boy who cried that he was so helpless against Hisoka. Imagine how he feels that he held Kite back from fighting at full strength.
Feb 11, 2014 6:05 PM

Oct 2010
LunarMoon said:

Killua, however, was screwed up from the beginning, and while his previous life consisting of being forced to kill people, he's now surrounded by friends and people who care about him, so his character development actually involved him becoming softer. The result is that current Gon is now threatening guys like Meleoron and holding crippled, blind girls hostage, while Killua is unambiguously sparing enemies like Ikalgo, while

Feb 11, 2014 6:06 PM

Oct 2008
LunarMoon said:
Seeing Killua play "Good Cop" to Gon was so surreal when I first read it, though.
That's part of why this whole scene was so ingenious - Killua viewed Gon as the ultimate ideal to live up to. At this point, Gon is dangerously close to shattering it. If Gon had gone through with killing Pitou at that moment, it would almost be like losing his friend; he's seen this buildup for a good while now, and part of the reason why he's been so melancholy is that he knew he'd have to face this point.
Feb 11, 2014 6:07 PM

Jan 2013
Cryptical said:
Seriously, at the moment, there is nothing I can like about him. The fact that Kite hasn't been in the story for that long and yet Gon is acting all macho and mad is bad to begin with (yeah sure there was something important about him, but in all honesty, Gon turning all sinister and shit for him is weird.

Again. This is where Madhouse f***** with Hunter x Hunter

In the manga, Kite was the person who showed the Hunter World to Gon and this was in the very first chapter.
Gon is seeking the father not simply because he wants to meet him, but because Kite said this was the last and most difficult test to become a Hunter.

And Gon isn't in rage just for revenge, but because he feels guilty for Kite not being able to protect himself for caring with Gon and Killua.
Feb 11, 2014 6:16 PM
Apr 2013
Forever_A said:
Cryptical said:
Seriously, at the moment, there is nothing I can like about him. The fact that Kite hasn't been in the story for that long and yet Gon is acting all macho and mad is bad to begin with (yeah sure there was something important about him, but in all honesty, Gon turning all sinister and shit for him is weird.

Again. This is where Madhouse f***** with Hunter x Hunter

In the manga, Kite was the person who showed the Hunter World to Gon and this was in the very first chapter.
Gon is seeking the father not simply because he wants to meet him, but because Kite said this was the last and most difficult test to become a Hunter.

And Gon isn't in rage just for revenge, but because he feels guilty for Kite not being able to protect himself for caring with Gon and Killua.
No need to write it again I suppose...

MCAL said:
Well Gon sees Kaito as someone very close to Ging who is someone Gon admires (Even if Ging is kind of an ass). This is why he is so pissed at Pitou for taking someone like that away from him. To me it makes perfect sense as is and why he's pissed off at Killua cause Killua isn't able to feel something like that even though he spent a lot of time with Kaito too.
xmaikokoro said:
I'm probably wrong but this is my interpretation: Kite is something who Gon deeply respected (and hoped to become); meanwhile, Killua/Kurapika/Leorio/etc. are just his friends. This statement might be different for all people but I think Gon is someone who takes it personally if someone he respects is disrespected or insulted. Kite was not just killed, he was turned into a robot-like person, controlled by the enemy, so utterly insulted by Pitou who only considered Kite to be a play toy (not a human) that I believe Gon feels so much rage that he no longer cares about the people around him being harmed.
MCALFeb 11, 2014 6:24 PM
Feb 11, 2014 6:18 PM

Oct 2011
Goosebumps and I am speechless.!!!!
Feb 11, 2014 6:31 PM

Jun 2009
One of the all time great HxH episodes. Gon expected things to be black and white, Pitou turned Kite into a monster so she must be defeated. He wanted things to be black and white, so he threw a fit and screamed and raged and lashed out at Killua. How delightfully human.

Loved Pitou's loyalty, her breaking her arm and begging Gon to let her save Komugi. In many ways it is a complete reversal of her introduction and it's interesting because how weak she is because has to protect someone. But, it's also admirable as well. Yes, I just called a member of a group who is trying to slaughter no telling how many humans admirable. Funny how excellent characterization can do that.

I liked how Killua deduced the situation and the faces he made were as heartbreaking as Gon's were scary. His friend is in danger of going down a dark path. I hope he doesn't leave Gon, because if it wasn't for his warning about Kite Gon would have struck, effectively killing Komugi. Also loved the mother comment along with the cat imagery effectively summed up what Pitou was doing.
Ston3_FreeN7Feb 11, 2014 6:48 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 11, 2014 6:46 PM

Aug 2008
I can't take Gon's shit anymore no matter how 'chilling' feeling he gives out. Like I understand he can only think bout vengeance now, but he had to blow off at Killua?! It looks like he just wants to kill Pitou and not bring Kite back to life. And what the hell with him repeating everything like a broken radio. Geez, I just want to see more of Killua now.
Feb 11, 2014 6:47 PM

Sep 2012
This fucking episode legit killed me. I need more, I'm killing myself for more. I understand Gon so much. I know what anger does to you. I love Gon's emotions, the anger in his eyes. Madhouse did a perfect job with this. This is hands down the greatest anime episode I've ever watched.
Feb 11, 2014 6:52 PM

Dec 2012
Such an intense episode. Gon went full rage mode. Good thing Killuia was there to try and bring Gon back to his senses or else it would have been complete chaos.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 11, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2009
SolBlade said:
GalekC said:
Cryptical said:
Gon... is... weird.

Gon "freaks"

I see what you did there.

i see it too
Feb 11, 2014 6:56 PM
Feb 2013
Such emotion.

Much feelings.

Wow.
Feb 11, 2014 6:59 PM

Sep 2007
THE GOOD: An undoubtedly excellent performance by Megumi Han. She has really matured as a VA, and really makes you feel the inner conflict and torment that Gon must be going through. In fact, this may well be one of the best performances of the year hands down.

THE BAD: OK, honestly now, did we really just spend the whole episode on Gon's and Pitou's confrontation alone? Seriously, I love great character development and dramatic tension as much as anyone, but the uneven and inconsistent pacing of the whole Chimera Ant Arc in general leaves much to be desired.

Secondly, do we really need to have almost EVERY SINGLE thought, motivation, plan, and action of each and every character narrated to us? Narration is useful when used appropriately, but I can't help but feel that it's being abused here. I don't know about you, but I find it to be immersion-breaking and I don't appreciate it at all.

THE UGLY: What's up with the nearly 4 minutes of recap in the beginning? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Megumi Han: 5/5. I really don't think this is up for debate. This is potentially a career-defining performance for Ms. Han, and I expect her to only get better from here on out.

The rest of the episode: 3/5. Those who can overlook the glacial pacing and the excessive narration, not to mention the extra 4 minutes of potential content lost due to the recap, will likely be more generous with their rating. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. --Lord Acton in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton, 1887

If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier...just as long as I'm the dictator. --George W. Bush, during his first trip to Washington as President-Elect, Washington, DC, Dec. 18, 2000
Feb 11, 2014 7:02 PM
Jan 2014
For Pitou's gender:
"In the manga, Neferpitou's chest is totally flat. In contrast, the 2011 anime may depict Neferpitou by giving it a prominent bust. So, it is possible that Neferpitou's gender in the manga differs from the anime."
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130927171305/hunterxhunter/images/c/c7/Pitou%27s_differences.jpg
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140131010216/hunterxhunter/images/8/8f/Naked_Pitou_manga_vs_anime.png
-But who really cares for Pitou's gender...? :P

For episode:
ΑWESOME!!!!! Pure rage and i love Gon's face! (/゚Д゚)/
5/5 easily! \(T∇T)/
Feb 11, 2014 7:11 PM

Jan 2014
patco23 said:

THE BAD: OK, honestly now, did we really just spend the whole episode on Gon's and Pitou's confrontation alone? Seriously, I love great character development and dramatic tension as much as anyone, but the uneven and inconsistent pacing of the whole Chimera Ant Arc in general leaves much to be desired.

Secondly, do we really need to have almost EVERY SINGLE thought, motivation, plan, and action of each and every character narrated to us? Narration is useful when used appropriately, but I can't help but feel that it's being abused here. I don't know about you, but I find it to be immersion-breaking and I don't appreciate it at all

How is having focus bad pacing in this case. This needed to flow, not everything has to be distributed like salad.
If goo pacing is as easy as dividing scenes equally or throwing big chucks of scenes everything would be perfect. MH is really doing a good job of knowing when to use which approach and how yo distribute scenes.

Also there was hardly any narration this time. And yes we need to know what they felt.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2014 7:28 PM

Jun 2009
patco23 said:

This may be an accurate comment noramlly, but this was arguably the single most important moment in the show up til now. If it hadn't been a full episode, it would have been selling this absolutely crucial character defining moment for Gon short.

Also, there wasn't even much narration in this episode. I can see the criticism in earlier episodes, even if I didn't agree, but most of this episode was dialogue and Killua's thoughts.

The rest of the episode: 3/5. Those who can overlook the glacial pacing and the excessive narration, not to mention the extra 4 minutes of potential content lost due to the recap, will likely be more generous with their rating. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

And, man do I hate quotes like this. It's condescending to those like me who loved this episode and just totally unnecessary to say. But, yes, I did not like the recap at the beginning. However, I think the actual content in the episode was more than enough to give the episode a well deserved 5.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 11, 2014 7:29 PM

Sep 2013
Holy shit GON! 5/5
Feb 11, 2014 7:32 PM

Nov 2009
Gon is the type of character who only sees things in absolutes. Remember in the yorkshin city arc he had no problem with the genei ryodan being heartless killers, but seeing them express genuine emotions for the death of Uvogin upset him.

It was clear that seeing Pitou tending and caring for someone would only enrage Gon. Pitou failed to fulfill his ideal expectations of an absolute evil and thus he was further angered. Like the ancient babylonians, and the bible of old, Gon has a very solid an eye for an eye tooth for tooth mentality.

I don't know what is so surprising. Zepile noticed Gon's dark traits during the yorkshin city arc. Gon's morality has always been a bit questionable. He had no qualms healing Genthu and co. despite them being serial killers. He immediately became friends with Killua even after hearing about Killua's family, etc.

The children will always love Killua over Gon because Killua is a much easier character to understand. To the uneducated viewer Gon's actions often come off as selfish or stubborn. That being said, if the story revolved around Killua the story would suffer from cliche writing. Killua is almost a borderline generic character. He does have his really interesting moments. However, just like he said, Gon is his light in the sense he adds more depth to Killua's character.
DaimyoFeb 11, 2014 7:44 PM
Feb 11, 2014 7:35 PM

Dec 2013
superb episode
Feb 11, 2014 8:05 PM

Apr 2011
seeing Pitou at the mercy of Gon

I would have never imagined that to ever happen

Also I bet wherever Hisoka is in the world, he felt that and came all over the place.

man I hope we see Hisoka in this arc... I really doubt it though. He would probably the first one to jump the king.
ValaskjalfFeb 11, 2014 8:09 PM
Feb 11, 2014 8:30 PM

Jul 2013
First episode in a while I can say I genuinely enjoyed. Hopefully HxH picks itself up again and we get more episodes like this one. 5/5. It wasn't that good in terms of structure, but seeing Gon go apeshit like that was so epic that I'm willing to turn a blind eye to that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2014 8:37 PM

Aug 2010
omg this episode! Now this is HxH.

It seriously felt like Gon was the villian in this episode. My only problem with this episode was the 4 minute preview but the content in this episode made up for that. First time we saw Gon so angry. His rage mode was just too damn epic.

10/5
Feb 11, 2014 8:47 PM

Oct 2012
hxh is now much worst than one piece now. one piece flash back + opening only 4:00 minutes while hxh flash back and opening took 5:00 minutes. more sucky episode to come. -1/5 !
My biggest regret is using my real name as my user name.

The continuous pursuit of finding that genuine thing.
Feb 11, 2014 8:51 PM

Jul 2013
Next episode - Cheetu is gonna be fired up! He'll even attempt to become King of the Pirates.
Believe it!
GalekCFeb 11, 2014 8:55 PM
Feb 11, 2014 8:51 PM

Oct 2012
soundscape said:
Who the hell cares about the fight... I would prefer episodes like this one over any fight all day long lol :P

HELL NO i swear your lying

Feb 11, 2014 8:54 PM

Oct 2012
Vanser said:
tsudecimo said:
Great episode, hadn't watched a good one since episode 108. 4/5. Killua was too perceptive again in this episode, it felt forced. But his calm demeanor through all these crazy unforeseen situations is interesting to see. He feels a bit conflicted about Gon or he probably have the leaving Gon thing on his mind.

Gon's character really doesn't make sense to me, at all. His rage, mentally un-stability and explosion of emotions in this episode left me baffled and puzzled. He feels like a different character all together or a bi-polar character. I can't gasp his thought process through this arc. Why is Kite that important to him? I never saw him rage that much regarding other people that are close to him. His fixation on Kite doesn't really make sense, unless I'm forgetting something regarding their relationship.

Not gonna raise my expectations but I hope the show keeps getting better from here.

Vanser said:

And how many episodes till the end of this arc?

Kite saved Gon's life in the very first chapter. I don't think they showed that in the 2011 anime, that was pretty stupid by them.

Feb 11, 2014 8:58 PM

Oct 2012
Ktess said:
Worthless episode. Probably the worst episode in the whole series, possibly of all anime episodes of all time.

This shitty episode even made me log onto this board for the first time to say this. That 92% vote 5/5 reveals the low standards viewers have.

i agree! damn this madhouse

Feb 11, 2014 9:00 PM

Aug 2009
Excellent, brilliant, fabulous and so much more, this episode! I literally had goosebumps watching Gon with all that anger! whoa~

Gon, he flipped a shit, a table, a building ...I mean he was literally on fire! I can not with him. His rage was so immense I could only stare wide-eyed at my laptop in utter shock. I expected him to be angry of course, but to be so deeply delved in rage was a bit of a surprise. I absolutely loved every single second of that pure emotion... None of it felt out of character to me, that is just how strongly he felt about the situation.

Killua, oh dear Killua telling Gon to hold on and got told off, like what!???? is the world spinning in the opposite direction. My two favorite people are having a fight, a disagreement! I love it! This episode was amazing! I was totally into it, adding adlibs such as "snap, oh shit, hell naw" I was into this episode more than any other.
I need to know what happens next! NOW!
still too much narration of unnecessary things though

Feb 11, 2014 9:02 PM

Oct 2012
GalekC said:
Next episode - Cheetu is gonna be fired up! He'll even attempt to become King of the Pirates.
Believe it!

yah next episode would take 15minutes of boring shit again 5 minute intro + flash back and 10 minute none sense regarding cheetu and then 5 more minutes to get watchers pumped up again next episode this is how madhouse does there works. well its not shocking.

Feb 11, 2014 9:32 PM

Jul 2012
HOLY SHIT
Cty Best mid
Feb 11, 2014 9:43 PM

May 2012
Shitty episode no wonder this series is failing.
Feb 11, 2014 9:55 PM

Oct 2011
Well, it's clear where Madhouse budget went this episode... amazing. I didn't even mind the pacing; for what happened in the episode, it added some nice tension.
KefkirothFeb 11, 2014 10:00 PM
Feb 11, 2014 10:06 PM

Nov 2011
Vanser said:
Does anybody know the song they used when Pitou broke his own arm? I don't remember hearing this one before, is it from the Last Mission OST?

the track name is : Hunters are Evil
Feb 11, 2014 10:39 PM
Jan 2013
Pitou is actually a quite cute kitty :D
Feb 11, 2014 10:48 PM

Mar 2012
Different from how i saw this scene working in the manga and this was still able to impress.
While watching I was like: "So fucking cool! So this is how the whole act should have been"
Feb 11, 2014 11:14 PM

Jul 2013
Loved the way they showed this episode. Lots of Power and emotion. One hour!
Blindwolf Anime <- My Blog
Feb 11, 2014 11:47 PM

Feb 2014
Epic emotions and epic episode! the best one so far
Animations was so great, srsly
GIVE ME MORE
Feb 12, 2014 12:15 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, that was pretty good, Gon is itching to fight.
Sad for Killua. .

Wow, Nerferpitou actually had a worried face =o but not necessarily scared, other than scared of not fulfilling her objective. Her vooice haha time to find more series with her.

Feb 12, 2014 12:36 AM
Jul 2013
Amazing episode...... One of the most psychological episodes of any anime I've watched so far. Definitely not for children.

Gon's major issue is that he only views the world in black and white, he doesn't believe in the existence of shades of grey, or he just refuses to believe it. He believes the world runs upon predetermined bases, and that's why he was in utter denial when he discovered that the ants he thought to be completely brutal and ruthless were showing human emotions. Gon is a child in that he thinks only he is allowed to feel such emotions, or to show such mercy, thus, his reaction was so abruptly intense. He's not particularly wrong, he's just in conflict, trying to change his previous ideals to suit the situation but he is finding it difficult.
Feb 12, 2014 12:45 AM

Jan 2011
I would've asked Nerferpitou to marry me.
[center]
Feb 12, 2014 12:46 AM

Oct 2013
Kyzen said:
soundscape said:
Who the hell cares about the fight... I would prefer episodes like this one over any fight all day long lol :P

HELL NO i swear your lying

You are a troll aren't you? Admit it don't be shy... Why would you even bring up OP in this discussion? Really? comparing 5min of recap+ED which happened once in HxH in 116 episodes? While only in the previous OP episode it was 7 minutes of recap+ED... Yes, 7 go check that up. And it is always like that in OP at least 4-5 min of recap.

If you are going to bash something than do it right... You need to upgrade your trolling skills.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Feb 12, 2014 1:38 AM

Sep 2012
Hectic episode, I was afraid they wouldn't be able to pull of the facial expressions from the manga, but my doubts were cast away this episode. Guess I don't have to worry about future episodes since the emotions get even crazier.

Is that a new soundtrack? It's probably my bad memory but I don't seem to recall a few of these tracks from the previous OST album
Pages (14) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

62 by omorashi »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.