Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2009 7:55 PM

Dec 2007
Wow, I believe this is my favorite Yuri manga ever. Ever, and that's saying alot because I really love every single yuri, usually equally, but this one just kicks ass. I love it. Its has some cliche circumstances such as Mari kissing Akko in her sleep... however this is one of the most realistic yuri yet. So much drama because they are both girls, and as the club has been talking about lately, we just dont see enough drama about that situation, even though it is the most obvious obstacle, the writers don't like to talk about. Aside from that its just too adorable and I have went through similiar situations as Mari so its extremely close to home and I relate to it so well.

Anyway spoilers for chapter 22.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 2, 2009 11:45 PM

May 2009
I'm currently addicted to the series. I wish there was more out already. *sighs* The art is just wonderful and the portrayal of confusion is well done making me want to flip to the next page just to find out if they sorted everything out. It will be interesting to see where this series goes and just how long it will be.

Kat

Jun 3, 2009 4:01 AM
Jun 2008
Girl Friends is nice, in a more "This is really how sixteen (?) year olds act". I mean, I think a few people I know were like, "What?! That's so fake--girls don't kiss other girls just for fun!" Um, Katy Perry anyone?? And the way they act is so much realer than some other girls in manga.

I mean, they actually address the issue of sex and doing it as some sort of rite of passage. Like Akko and that guy.

But I still favour Nana and Hitomi stories... probably because I read them first and they have a nicer romance. Akko and Mari are going through the romance bit but with added awkward sexuality and emotional confusion.
Jun 3, 2009 5:01 AM

Feb 2009
to quote myself >.>; (form the other girl friends forum)

if you spend to much time cooped up in your own thoughts of doubt and self loathing you eventually will only see the worst case scenario pretty much constantly. also assuming the best case scenario and being let down is more painful that assuming the statuesque and being surprised later.

my objection in this chapter was that Mari was pretty set on confessing in the last chapter, so it doesn't seem to add up that she would let Akko leave without knowing what that kiss at that kind of time meant. I also would have thought that it would be a hint when Akko was very obvious about wanting to sneak off to some love shrine with her on the school trip.

my only concern is that we'll end up playing the "ring around the misunderstanding " kind of game, witch can get really annoying.

end quote

I love the the emotional complexity's Mari has, her inter monologue is fascinating. Akko has also been growing one me lately, she excepted a relationship so willingly after that kiss, I found that to be admirable.
-"Just an ordinary woman who won't ever regret, being with the person she loves."
(Rokujou Ruri, Azure Dream, manga)

-"Shinobu, even if this body should turn to ash, I will never leave you."
(Naitou Momoko, shoujo-sect, manga)
Jun 3, 2009 11:13 AM

Dec 2007
Yeah I did too kaigen I just adore that she is ready for a relationship after having so much doubt in the beginning. Akko is by far my favorite character, I adore her quite a bit. I do agree with your objection though, if this whole series runs around in circles with the misunderstanding Im going to start disliking it, so Ill cross my fingers that it does not.

@Shimai: Yeah I hope the series isn't too aweful long unless there are good conflicts in the future because as kaigen said, it could start going in circles.

@Nomi- Its very realistic other than the kissing, though a few people do that not all that many and its possible those 3 do and most of the other people in there class do not.
Jun 4, 2009 8:15 AM

Feb 2009
@ Drocr - you should add Girl friends to your favorite manga list on your page ^_~b

toward the beginning of the manga I thought Akko was amusing, but just there. Now she is truly the other main character, I love the perspective change so we can have the inter monologue of Akko, I been loveing that ^_^

bowing out; <(=_=)>
-"Just an ordinary woman who won't ever regret, being with the person she loves."

Jun 4, 2009 8:53 PM

Dec 2007
Oh I did!! I added it a while ago actually lol its 4th-ish. But still really up there :D I want to wait until I finish it for my final placing in my favs though :p

Yeah Akko was just sorta there but she has way more depth which I love :D
Jun 5, 2009 5:29 AM

Feb 2009
one of my friends said what I hope happens just fine quoting my post on the other forum again, now he thinks this is whats going to happen where I am just hopeful that the story goes in this direction.

Draznar;

Mari's situation has improved, she just doesn't know it yet.

Actually what I think may happen is that soon, their relationship is going to become "public knowledge". I'm assuming the boy will tell Sugi and she will then try to figure out who Akkao is with. This will probbly be some really dramatic scence on the School trip. In fact, having the relationship exposed as public knowlege may be what it takes for Mari to realize it.

Me again;

if the story happens to take that kind of course then I wouldn't mind a longer series, I would especially love to see a good epilogue (or do I really mean prologue) well the after core story one, whether their relationship goes well or not I would love to see what they are like later in life.

I will take my leave; <(=_=)>

Jun 5, 2009 5:54 AM
Jun 2008
kaigen said:
I would love to see what they are like later in life.

This rarely ever happens in regular manga. I haven't seen it happen in yuri manga at all.

At best, I suspect we get a lovely confession of feelings from the girls and it ends with some open ending like, "And we'll get through this... together." or "As long as I'm with Akko..." sort of thing.

The closest I've seen a yuri relationship actually have results (I'm not talking about insanity, depression, suicide or death btw), are (you guessed it) the Nana and Hitomi Morinaga Milk one-shots. It's a shame they never continued, since the characters were actually taking their relationship places.
Jun 5, 2009 6:58 AM

Dec 2007
@Nomi- I read Nana and Hitomi.. ti was onle 3 one-shots right? I think thats all I read... maybe 4. But it was pretty good :3

@kaigen- Man if it became public knowledge they were gay this story will only get better. I would love to see how the handle pressure and the public's glares. Very exciting :D
Jun 5, 2009 12:38 PM

Feb 2009
tehnominator said:

This rarely ever happens in regular manga. I haven't seen it happen in yuri manga at all.

At best, I suspect we get a lovely confession of feelings from the girls and it ends with some open ending like, "And we'll get through this... together." or "As long as I'm with Akko..." sort of thing.

that is really to bad, I have seen the later parts of life referenced in a few yuri manga, chatting at Amber tea house had an old lesbian couple come in to the store and talk to the main character, also the main character is making really long term plans to be closer to the other lead (I yes i totally forgotten the names >.>; )

Drocr said:

@kaigen- Man if it became public knowledge they were gay this story will only get better. I would love to see how the handle pressure and the public's glares. Very exciting :D

I exceedingly curious about how the close friends will react because they are both very popular people among their peers. 2nd place for I want to know reactions are the parents I have a feeling Maris will be the type to have a reaction but shortly after say that they will accept her no matter what, but Akko's Mom I'm thinking will try and blame herself for not being there enough or something like that, Aka she will make it seem like Akko has done something wrong.

blast rambling again, sorry, and have a good weekend; (>^.)>

Jun 5, 2009 12:54 PM
Jun 2008
kaigen said:

I exceedingly curious about how the close friends will react because they are both very popular people among their peers. 2nd place for I want to know reactions are the parents I have a feeling Maris will be the type to have a reaction but shortly after say that they will accept her no matter what, but Akko's Mom I'm thinking will try and blame herself for not being there enough or something like that, Aka she will make it seem like Akko has done something wrong.

Seeing as how Mari's parents are a non-entity for most of the manga, I doubt they'll even find out.

If any parent had an actual chance of finding out, it'd be Akko's mom and from her characterisation, she'd be torn between:

a) not giving a shit, since it seems her own child isn't that important to her anyway

or

b) throwing a hissy fit because she just seems like a bitch, honestly.
Jun 5, 2009 1:55 PM

Dec 2007
I agree Nomi, I think it will be both of those. First B then A.
Jun 5, 2009 7:16 PM

Feb 2009
but what about her close friends what do you think they might be like? I think that at the very least Sugi seems like she already knows somethings going on. ^_^

; ^_~b

Jun 5, 2009 8:47 PM

Dec 2007
I dont think Sugi is really going to care haha, she already knows its pretty obvious but I dont think she cares... I think she is like, 'if you love her, be with her, though Im against it, do what you think is right' and thats about it.
Jun 7, 2009 10:18 AM

Nov 2007
Girl Friends is a very good shoujo-ai manga (But I prefer Sasameki Koto)
The plot is good, even though it's going... slow I think (but not slow that make the manga bad, just... slow coz I want them to be together already!)

Chaper 22 was great, I wanted to see what happened after the kiss, though =/

A question about Sugi:

Jun 7, 2009 11:03 AM
Jun 2008
Lady_Hydrangea said:

A question about Sugi:

Not at all. She's just a really sexually confident person. Girls make out with one another all the time (?) and it means nothing. Besides, aren't the supporting characters all very into boyfriends and boys?

It's probably why Akko didn't want to think anything of the kiss with Mari, since she'd already kissed girls and it meant nothing sexually or romantically to her.
Jun 7, 2009 4:03 PM

Feb 2009
it is possible that Sugi is but not likely, she is the boy friend collector, she does however, appear to be perceptive enough to realize that Akko only needs advise when it concerns Mari. She tells Akko she never needs any boy friend advice just Mari advice. when Akko leaves the food place Sugi whispers something like "a friend huh" ^_^

I hope for some good stuff in the chapters to come; (>^.)>

Jun 7, 2009 5:40 PM
Jun 2008
kaigen said:
it is possible that Sugi is but not likely, she is the boy friend collector, she does however, appear to be perceptive enough to realize that Akko only needs advise when it concerns Mari. She tells Akko she never needs any boy friend advice just Mari advice. when Akko leaves the food place Sugi whispers something like "a friend huh" ^_^

I hope for some good stuff in the chapters to come; (>^.)>

I think Sugi is an understanding chick. Like, she'd be totally fine with whatever Akko and Mari choose, and she seems to understand the matters of the heart more than anything else. Well, she got a lot of practise in that department anyway :P
Jun 8, 2009 5:41 AM

Feb 2009
I know I tend to ramble and be long winded in a signal post, so I was wondering if any would mind if i let louse and drone on for a signal post? I'll admit that I only really care if tehnominator or Drocr don't want me to. ^_^

; (>^.)>

Jun 8, 2009 5:52 AM
Jun 2008
kaigen said:
I know I tend to ramble and be long winded in a signal post, so I was wondering if any would mind if i let louse and drone on for a signal post? I'll admit that I only really care if tehnominator or Drocr don't want me to. ^_^

; (>^.)>

:P We don't own the forums, mate. You can drone as much as you want, though it's recommended that you at least mention the original topic ;) Though even if you go off topic, it's no real problem. As someone who... observes the main forums and knows what becomes of threads, I've got no problem with it :)
Jun 8, 2009 7:04 AM

Feb 2009
I'll stay on topic, but I'm not finished typing the big post out yet. ^_^;

Jun 8, 2009 7:35 AM

Feb 2009
Who is your favorite character and why? Be detailed. If you have read the meta-story on my page you know how I do it and I’ll take the opportunity now to drone on about character break down, useing my favorite character, so you know exactly why she is my favorite.

Character: Mari

Character complexity;

I will start at the character complexity tree; I have four categories in this tree emotional complexity, rational complexity, philosophical complexity, moral complexity. Mari is all emotional complexity, (A little definition from my review on Girl Friends) Emotionally complexity comes from trying to understand why you feel the way you do, it’s feeling having a contradiction between the way you feel and the way you rationally think would be the best way to feel, it’s questioning your own motivations and intentions in the interactions you have with others. Mari’s inter monologue really helps the reader understand the torment she is putting herself though, she often questions her feelings saying things like “Is this love… of am I just a possessive friend” defiantly an emotional character and it is represented very well.

Character main break down;

I have four major categories that I take into account when taking a character apart, back-story,
relate-ability, demeanor, how was it received? In an effort not to sound crazy, I will try to put a short definition before each category.
Back-story, not every character really has one Mari’s is simple and fits, its not to crazy, nor should it be a crazy back story would be misplaced in this story so a decent rating is bestowed upon the
Back-story
Relate-ability, how well you can relate to the character or understand the feelings and or philosophies being portrayed, Most people in on way or another have feel something to the affect of what Mari feels I have had friends who have never read this say the same things Mari has said, that is grate character design, most people like characters they can relate to so this is a big point for the character over all.

Demeanor, the way the character carries themselves, emotional stability, strength of will, whether the character is smart but has a week body or athletic but not to bright. Mari is the smart girl who wasn’t to sociable, that sort of Demeanor works really well for the tale being told because it combines well with the idea that she would be really attached to the one who “saved” her from unintentional loneliness that she herself didn’t realize, being that way made it easy for the reader to understand two things first the reason she fell for her and second it let the reader understand why she would doubt her feelings.
How was it received? This is pretty close to a miscellaneous category or an overview. In this category I look at the unexplainable reasons to like a character, when you use words such as “that character is cool” or “that character is cute” just the how much you like the character for no other reason then they are fun to watch. Also this is where you look at the design intentions for the character, if you hate a character but you think the author wanted that response then that can result in a good score in this area. Mari is… adorable ^_^ I just want to “take her home” * goes into take it home mode. Shy, blushes a lot does “embarrassing things” at school in the bathroom, at the thought the one she loves ^_~b she is most entertaining to just watch and that makes the hole experience of the manga more interesting.

So that is a small example of a character break down as part of my habit to Meta-story, my friends tell me that I an reaping the soul of what I am watching or reading by doing this, but its something I love to do so I can better understand my own story design process. I would also like to see feed back on that as well do you all think that I cant enjoy what I watch because I like taking it apart? Well maybe that’s a question for a more general discussion board.

Thank you for reading my entire…well~ thing,

I will dismiss myself; <(=_=)> * bows

Jun 8, 2009 12:55 PM
Jun 2008
kaigen said:
Who is your favorite character and why? Be detailed. If you have read the meta-story on my page you know how I do it and I’ll take the opportunity now to drone on about character break down, useing my favorite character, so you know exactly why she is my favorite.

I can't say I have a favourite character in the series. It's sort of weird. I think I am just enjoying the motions of the manga. I'd probably be more of an Akko girl myself, though initially I didn't trust her. I thought she was either up to something or manipulative, as seen by her getting Mari to cut her hair off and whatnot. Eventually I realised that the girl is just too straight-forward and a little dim-witted when it comes to handling people she now meets.

kaigen said:
I have four categories in this tree emotional complexity, rational complexity, philosophical complexity, moral complexity.

I agree with your breakdowns for this manga. Yup, Mari is absolutely an emotionally driven girl, though I'd say she has a touch of rationality and morality to her as well. Akko is absolutely the rational one in the bunch, and it seems to be why they click so much, as they balance one another out.

kaigen said:
Back-story, not every character really has one Mari’s is simple and fits, its not to crazy, nor should it be a crazy back story would be misplaced in this story so a decent rating is bestowed upon the Back-story

This could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing. While it's nice that the story doesn't meander pointlessly around background story, it makes you wonder what is the weight of the characters' actions and decisions. We only comprehend what Mari's feelings for Akko mean on a personal level. Manga sometimes seems to forget that people live in a society.

A history for Mari could give us more weight as to who she is as a person. Of course, nothing is wrong with her characterisation now. It takes a certain amount of skill to present a character without presenting every inane detail of their life but still making them rounded and complete. I like that we get a little into Akko's history, and I honestly feel we're learning things about the girl through her past since her present actions rarely indicate what sort of development she is going through. This is most likely since the story is narrated primarily through Mari's perspective; Akko doesn't get to internally monologue, so her development and depth is given to us in another way--the back story.

kaigen said:
Relate-ability, how well you can relate to the character or understand the feelings and or philosophies being portrayed, Most people in on way or another have feel something to the affect of what Mari feels I have had friends who have never read this say the same things Mari has said, that is grate character design, most people like characters they can relate to so this is a big point for the character over all.

Mari is what I'd call the standard for any manga protagonist for emotionally driven storylines. Insecure, shy, reserved, ponders obsessively, mulls every minute detail over. Besides, unrequited love is probably the biggest factor in getting the audience to relate to a character. More of us have been on the end of a relationship where we're standing there thinking that the other person doesn't feel the same way or worse, doesn't know we exist.

If anything, while Mari is the easiest to relate to emotionally, I'd say for me, Akko's mentality is easy to relate to. Like her desire to conform (re: her failed attempt at sex just to get it over with) or ignoring the obvious to save herself (re: all the times Mari made a move on her and she chalked it up to Mari being "friendly") or even that longing to be with someone without really knowing why (re: her interest in Mari before they became friends).

kaigen said:
Demeanor, the way the character carries themselves, emotional stability, strength of will, whether the character is smart but has a week body or athletic but not to bright.

I think Akko wins hands-down for this section. Her humour, her silliness, her outgoing nature--the girl is a magnet for people in the manga and for the audience. Besides, confidence is key. While there is a dedicated group in fandom devoted to the shy girls, the same theory applies largely to manga as it does in real life: girls love confidence. And, well, maybe guys too, I dunno. I dunno what guys think on this subject. So Akko is clearly the one a reader will gravitate to naturally even if their emotions and thoughts coincide more with Mari's.

kaigen said:
How was it received?

I think again Akko is quickly climbing into everyone's good books. Mari is slipping further into dangerous territory with her denial of her relationship with Akko, and Akko just looks radiant about her acceptance of her relationship with Mari.
Jun 9, 2009 5:47 AM

Feb 2009
good show ^_~b that's a very nice assessment for Akko. I love using this break down method and seeing someone else use it to describe a character they enjoy, well I'll jsut say that I have a hole new perspective on Akko. I really should ask this again in a discussion on a manga with a larger cast.

Jun 12, 2009 4:28 PM

Oct 2008
hey excuse me

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines
Jun 12, 2009 4:31 PM
Jun 2008
joe_666 said:
hey excuse me

You can try mangafox.com where we link to the featured one-shots.
Jun 17, 2009 5:45 PM

Dec 2007
*cries* I wish Girl Friends would release :(
Jun 17, 2009 6:45 PM

Oct 2007
Good things come to those who wait. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2009 8:13 PM

Dec 2007
Yeah, I was never good for waiting :(
Jun 24, 2009 5:12 AM

Apr 2009
Raws are out! *-*
http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/?sort=order&ord=desc&lang=jp&manga=1470

Though I'm gonna wait for the english translation...:/
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Jun 24, 2009 6:11 AM
Jun 2008
GothicQueen said:
Raws are out! *-*

MUST NOT BE TEMPTED TO READ RAWS.
Jun 24, 2009 9:49 AM

Nov 2008
tehnominator said:
GothicQueen said:
Raws are out! *-*

MUST NOT BE TEMPTED TO READ RAWS.

*sob*

Same here. It'd be like, spoilers you don't quite understand but which give WAY too much away. xD

>.>
Jun 24, 2009 10:04 AM

Feb 2009
^_^; this is the hard part, the close but not quite there part "o (>.<) o" drives me nuts *pout pout. >.>;... =_= Ok I'm done.

^_~b

Jun 24, 2009 8:48 PM

Dec 2007
ahhh damn scanlate fastterrrrr damn damn damn damn damn

ahhh

XD

*read to page 10*
*well looked to that page*

*cries*
Jun 24, 2009 9:04 PM

Jul 2008
I think this is probably my favorite yuri/shoujo ai manga so far. I definitely relate to Akko and Mari, but on top of that I have been really impressed with some of the issues that this Manga has dealt with. waaah I want the next chapter already T_T if only my japanese was better. the aniticipation for these kills me

Jun 25, 2009 5:20 AM

Jul 2008
I "read" (in other works, looked at the pictures and Japanese which I do not understand...) the RAW.

I have no idea whats going on in it! Not even from the pictures ¯\(?__?)/¯

"I'm always sleeping in my forest of thorns."
- Satou Sei
Jun 25, 2009 1:17 PM

Dec 2007
*cries*

WHY IS IT NOT OUUUUTTT

I really want it sooo bad :(
Jun 25, 2009 2:30 PM
Jun 2008
-Kyo said:
*cries*

WHY IS IT NOT OUUUUTTT

I really want it sooo bad :(

I was so close to checking out the raw... and I stopped myself. And the thing is, I bet nothing has been even partially resolved, so this will be one frustrating chapter and we'll have to wait another, what, month before we get some more :(
Jun 26, 2009 4:23 PM
Oct 2008
Started reading this yesterday. Terminal addiction in 3 hours <3<3
Jun 26, 2009 4:25 PM

Dec 2007
Yes it is like sex, you cant get enough :p

But unfortunately its only once a month and the sexual tension is just too much
Jun 26, 2009 7:16 PM

Feb 2009
sexual tension? were going on sexual frustration here, >.< this is like the tease that just wont put out, he/she plays with you just enough then leaves before true satisfaction. T_T

Jun 26, 2009 11:54 PM

Nov 2007
Guh... sexuel frustration.... XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Jun 27, 2009 4:26 AM

Nov 2007
Chapter 23:

Jun 27, 2009 6:00 AM
Jun 2008
I READ CHAPTER 23~! THIS IS NOT A "GAH, WHY WON'T IT BE SCANLATED??" frustration post!

Akko was just utterly win this entire chapter, and I really can relate to how she is feeling right now. In fact, I can understand the entire situation with the two of them. Some might feel that since they kissed, they should be able to address their feelings to one another right away, but that's a trope in fiction that doesn't necessarily happen in real life.

Sometimes people beat around the bush so badly after something happens to their friendship, that they both take on the "elephant in the room" stance.

And Akko wins plus points for questioning whether her feelings are genuine and if she should go through with it or if they're not and should she risk hurting Mari. I think they're handling confused sexuality very well, since it would just be contrived if Akko suddenly went from straight to "I love girls!!".
Jun 27, 2009 7:33 AM

May 2009
It was a good chapter, not much happened but at least Akko has figured a lot of things out. I really hate how short the chapters are. I don't think I can wait until the end of August for the school trip! I really hope that they get to talk it out because the awkward stage they're in right now would be so hard to deal with.
Jun 27, 2009 4:19 PM

Jul 2008
poor akko. its too bad that they both are still bad at communication, but its kind of cute too >_<

Aug 26, 2009 4:32 PM

Dec 2007
SQUEEEE~~~

Bath scene thax j00! <3

That was so cute :3
Cute little Akko getting all flustered =3
Aug 26, 2009 7:38 PM

Apr 2008
Aww, man. I liked this episode, Akko was really cute this time, and seeing her embarrased is always good, but, nothing really happened -o-

I want them to speak their minds, or like Horo-sama says, yell at each other to get their point accross xD
Aug 26, 2009 8:02 PM

Dec 2007
Yeah I would have liked a little mroe but I was pleased with the embarrassed Akko for this one :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your sexual orientation? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Kyo - Jun 10, 2009

1186 by euls »»
Aug 15, 2023 9:39 PM

Poll: » Which type of shoujo-ai/yuri pairings do you like the most? ( 1 2 )

Louchan - Jul 12, 2009

61 by removed-user »»
Jun 12, 2023 9:25 AM

» Ouji-sama nante iranai by Harushion (not on mal!, 200 pages) - Marimite/class-s like

Wannabiteme - Jun 4, 2023

1 by JB-94 »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:17 AM

» what kind of Shoujo-ai &amp; Yuri do you like ? ( 1 2 )

pitman - Aug 3, 2007

85 by HaruHaruLove »»
Mar 22, 2023 4:32 AM

» What anime made you cry? ( 1 2 )

deletemeplzz - Sep 11, 2009

57 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 13, 2023 11:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.