MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Girl Friends
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» ~ Shoujo-Ai & Yuri ~ »» Girl Friends

Must be a Club Member to Reply
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
06-02-09, 7:55 PM

Wow, I believe this is my favorite Yuri manga ever. Ever, and that's saying alot because I really love every single yuri, usually equally, but this one just kicks ass. I love it. Its has some cliche circumstances such as Mari kissing Akko in her sleep... however this is one of the most realistic yuri yet. So much drama because they are both girls, and as the club has been talking about lately, we just dont see enough drama about that situation, even though it is the most obvious obstacle, the writers don't like to talk about. Aside from that its just too adorable and I have went through similiar situations as Mari so its extremely close to home and I relate to it so well.

Anyway spoilers for chapter 22.

06-02-09, 11:45 PM

I'm currently addicted to the series. I wish there was more out already. *sighs* The art is just wonderful and the portrayal of confusion is well done making me want to flip to the next page just to find out if they sorted everything out. It will be interesting to see where this series goes and just how long it will be.

Kat

06-03-09, 4:01 AM

Girl Friends is nice, in a more "This is really how sixteen (?) year olds act". I mean, I think a few people I know were like, "What?! That's so fake--girls don't kiss other girls just for fun!" Um, Katy Perry anyone?? And the way they act is so much realer than some other girls in manga.

I mean, they actually address the issue of sex and doing it as some sort of rite of passage. Like Akko and that guy.

But I still favour Nana and Hitomi stories... probably because I read them first and they have a nicer romance. Akko and Mari are going through the romance bit but with added awkward sexuality and emotional confusion.

06-03-09, 5:01 AM

to quote myself >.>; (form the other girl friends forum)

if you spend to much time cooped up in your own thoughts of doubt and self loathing you eventually will only see the worst case scenario pretty much constantly. also assuming the best case scenario and being let down is more painful that assuming the statuesque and being surprised later.

my objection in this chapter was that Mari was pretty set on confessing in the last chapter, so it doesn't seem to add up that she would let Akko leave without knowing what that kiss at that kind of time meant. I also would have thought that it would be a hint when Akko was very obvious about wanting to sneak off to some love shrine with her on the school trip.

my only concern is that we'll end up playing the "ring around the misunderstanding " kind of game, witch can get really annoying.

end quote

I love the the emotional complexity's Mari has, her inter monologue is fascinating. Akko has also been growing one me lately, she excepted a relationship so willingly after that kiss, I found that to be admirable.
-"Just an ordinary woman who won't ever regret, being with the person she loves."
(Rokujou Ruri, Azure Dream, manga)

-"Shinobu, even if this body should turn to ash, I will never leave you."
(Naitou Momoko, shoujo-sect, manga)

06-03-09, 11:13 AM

Yeah I did too kaigen I just adore that she is ready for a relationship after having so much doubt in the beginning. Akko is by far my favorite character, I adore her quite a bit. I do agree with your objection though, if this whole series runs around in circles with the misunderstanding Im going to start disliking it, so Ill cross my fingers that it does not.

@Shimai: Yeah I hope the series isn't too aweful long unless there are good conflicts in the future because as kaigen said, it could start going in circles.

@Nomi- Its very realistic other than the kissing, though a few people do that not all that many and its possible those 3 do and most of the other people in there class do not.

06-04-09, 8:15 AM

@ Drocr - you should add Girl friends to your favorite manga list on your page ^_~b

toward the beginning of the manga I thought Akko was amusing, but just there. Now she is truly the other main character, I love the perspective change so we can have the inter monologue of Akko, I been loveing that ^_^

bowing out; <(=_=)>
-"Just an ordinary woman who won't ever regret, being with the person she loves."

06-04-09, 8:53 PM

Oh I did!! I added it a while ago actually lol its 4th-ish. But still really up there :D I want to wait until I finish it for my final placing in my favs though :p

Yeah Akko was just sorta there but she has way more depth which I love :D

06-05-09, 5:29 AM

one of my friends said what I hope happens just fine quoting my post on the other forum again, now he thinks this is whats going to happen where I am just hopeful that the story goes in this direction.

Draznar;

Mari's situation has improved, she just doesn't know it yet.

Actually what I think may happen is that soon, their relationship is going to become "public knowledge". I'm assuming the boy will tell Sugi and she will then try to figure out who Akkao is with. This will probbly be some really dramatic scence on the School trip. In fact, having the relationship exposed as public knowlege may be what it takes for Mari to realize it.

Me again;

if the story happens to take that kind of course then I wouldn't mind a longer series, I would especially love to see a good epilogue (or do I really mean prologue) well the after core story one, whether their relationship goes well or not I would love to see what they are like later in life.

I will take my leave; <(=_=)>

06-05-09, 5:54 AM

kaigen said:
I would love to see what they are like later in life.

This rarely ever happens in regular manga. I haven't seen it happen in yuri manga at all.

At best, I suspect we get a lovely confession of feelings from the girls and it ends with some open ending like, "And we'll get through this... together." or "As long as I'm with Akko..." sort of thing.

The closest I've seen a yuri relationship actually have results (I'm not talking about insanity, depression, suicide or death btw), are (you guessed it) the Nana and Hitomi Morinaga Milk one-shots. It's a shame they never continued, since the characters were actually taking their relationship places.

06-05-09, 6:58 AM

@Nomi- I read Nana and Hitomi.. ti was onle 3 one-shots right? I think thats all I read... maybe 4. But it was pretty good :3

@kaigen- Man if it became public knowledge they were gay this story will only get better. I would love to see how the handle pressure and the public's glares. Very exciting :D

06-05-09, 12:38 PM

tehnominator said:

This rarely ever happens in regular manga. I haven't seen it happen in yuri manga at all.

At best, I suspect we get a lovely confession of feelings from the girls and it ends with some open ending like, "And we'll get through this... together." or "As long as I'm with Akko..." sort of thing.

that is really to bad, I have seen the later parts of life referenced in a few yuri manga, chatting at Amber tea house had an old lesbian couple come in to the store and talk to the main character, also the main character is making really long term plans to be closer to the other lead (I yes i totally forgotten the names >.>; )

Drocr said:

@kaigen- Man if it became public knowledge they were gay this story will only get better. I would love to see how the handle pressure and the public's glares. Very exciting :D

I exceedingly curious about how the close friends will react because they are both very popular people among their peers. 2nd place for I want to know reactions are the parents I have a feeling Maris will be the type to have a reaction but shortly after say that they will accept her no matter what, but Akko's Mom I'm thinking will try and blame herself for not being there enough or something like that, Aka she will make it seem like Akko has done something wrong.

blast rambling again, sorry, and have a good weekend; (>^.)>

06-05-09, 12:54 PM

kaigen said:

I exceedingly curious about how the close friends will react because they are both very popular people among their peers. 2nd place for I want to know reactions are the parents I have a feeling Maris will be the type to have a reaction but shortly after say that they will accept her no matter what, but Akko's Mom I'm thinking will try and blame herself for not being there enough or something like that, Aka she will make it seem like Akko has done something wrong.

Seeing as how Mari's parents are a non-entity for most of the manga, I doubt they'll even find out.

If any parent had an actual chance of finding out, it'd be Akko's mom and from her characterisation, she'd be torn between:

a) not giving a shit, since it seems her own child isn't that important to her anyway

or

b) throwing a hissy fit because she just seems like a bitch, honestly.

06-05-09, 1:55 PM

I agree Nomi, I think it will be both of those. First B then A.

06-05-09, 7:16 PM

but what about her close friends what do you think they might be like? I think that at the very least Sugi seems like she already knows somethings going on. ^_^

; ^_~b

06-05-09, 8:47 PM

I dont think Sugi is really going to care haha, she already knows its pretty obvious but I dont think she cares... I think she is like, 'if you love her, be with her, though Im against it, do what you think is right' and thats about it.

06-07-09, 10:18 AM

Girl Friends is a very good shoujo-ai manga (But I prefer Sasameki Koto)
The plot is good, even though it's going... slow I think (but not slow that make the manga bad, just... slow coz I want them to be together already!)

Chaper 22 was great, I wanted to see what happened after the kiss, though =/

A question about Sugi:

06-07-09, 11:03 AM

Lady_Hydrangea said:

A question about Sugi:

Not at all. She's just a really sexually confident person. Girls make out with one another all the time (?) and it means nothing. Besides, aren't the supporting characters all very into boyfriends and boys?

It's probably why Akko didn't want to think anything of the kiss with Mari, since she'd already kissed girls and it meant nothing sexually or romantically to her.

06-07-09, 4:03 PM

it is possible that Sugi is but not likely, she is the boy friend collector, she does however, appear to be perceptive enough to realize that Akko only needs advise when it concerns Mari. She tells Akko she never needs any boy friend advice just Mari advice. when Akko leaves the food place Sugi whispers something like "a friend huh" ^_^

I hope for some good stuff in the chapters to come; (>^.)>

06-07-09, 5:40 PM

kaigen said:
it is possible that Sugi is but not likely, she is the boy friend collector, she does however, appear to be perceptive enough to realize that Akko only needs advise when it concerns Mari. She tells Akko she never needs any boy friend advice just Mari advice. when Akko leaves the food place Sugi whispers something like "a friend huh" ^_^

I hope for some good stuff in the chapters to come; (>^.)>

I think Sugi is an understanding chick. Like, she'd be totally fine with whatever Akko and Mari choose, and she seems to understand the matters of the heart more than anything else. Well, she got a lot of practise in that department anyway :P

06-08-09, 5:41 AM

I know I tend to ramble and be long winded in a signal post, so I was wondering if any would mind if i let louse and drone on for a signal post? I'll admit that I only really care if tehnominator or Drocr don't want me to. ^_^

; (>^.)>

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices