Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2009 7:03 PM
May 2009
After introducing the petition at Lum-Chan.com, we started discussing how to increase UY's rank.

I already asked people on Lum-chan to set their score to 10/10.

But currently, UY is still only #203. About 50% of people who voted, voted 7-8 out of 10.

FallinG_StaR noted that there were 479 people who "Plan to watch it" which is actually MORE people than what that 50% who voted 7-8 total to. If we could get some of these people to vote 9 or 10, that could greatly help.

I also noticed that some people who DID vote 9 or 10, haven't completed 1/5 of the anime yet, which means their vote doesn't count to the Ranking.

Currently, I believe the EASIEST votes we can probably get are these people:

People who HAVE completed the anime, or at least 1/5 of it, but HAVEN'T voted at all yet. We could simply ask these people to give a vote, and they might be nice enough to do so.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 2, 2009 11:25 PM
Jul 2008
This definitely requires some reflection by all of us.

Are you assuming that by increasing the Ranking of UY will get us more signatures on a petiton? And if, so what is your logic behind this idea?

How is getting people to lie about how they feel about UY going to get these same people to spend their time signing a petition for an anime they care little about?

People who are new to UY are not going to go look up the ranking of the series before they watch it...that is typically the last thing people do when choosing a new series or movie. People go by gut feelings, past experience, and opinions of their friends, family, and coworkers or classmates when deciding on something, not the opinion polls or critics.

In order for the ranking to have any real or noticeable affect on UY's "exposure limits" (the likelyhood of someone watching it), UY's ranking would have to be in the top 50. We are a long ways from that and for us to ask UY viewers to falsify their love for the show will not guurantee their signatures on the petition or signatures of other people.

We have to ask ourselves, would Rumiko Takahashi want UY viewers to falsify their love for the show just to get a few more signatures on a petiton?

Let me be frank, Neo.
It's not that I am against your idea of incresing UY's popularity.
We do need more people to see UY and we need more people who have seen UY to use MAL. Both will increase the number of possible signatures.
But lets find another, more honest, way of doing it.
EtherealMercJun 2, 2009 11:43 PM
Jun 3, 2009 4:33 AM

Apr 2008
Agree with Etherealmerc. Just having people raising their ratings to 10 is not he best idea. That way we are just doing what kids do with their favourite series to get ahead of others...
Jun 3, 2009 7:08 AM
May 2009
I didn't say it was related to the petition 0.0

Also, for the people I mentioned, they don't have a rating, so getting them to rate would be helpful.

Whatever, I'm giving up on this, then.
Jun 3, 2009 8:38 AM
Mar 2008
In all honesty, of what I have seen so far UY is far from a 9 or 10. Im sure it might pick up in later episodes. Funnily enough, I actually prefer the earlier drawing styles for the series as opposed to the later ones >_>
Im hoping for an EPIC ending
Jun 3, 2009 4:57 PM

Apr 2008
I think it would be a 9 rate anime, because it never develops it's story, like Maison ikkoku for example, but the comedy makes for the development in the story.

The fact that the anime is a long one, makes that you either love it or hate it after you've seen all the episodes. Hence some high votes on it.
Jun 3, 2009 11:21 PM
Jul 2008
@RobgeFR

You're issing the point of this kinf od anime good friend.

Its an episodic anime from one episode to the next the story changes but the overall plot stays the same. This type of anime, like Ranma 1/2, Inu Yasha, the first and third seasons of Rurouni Kenshin, and Maison ikkoku don't have much story development b/c they are solely character-based animes. They are not story-based like Akira, Neon Genesis Evanelion, or other short 12-24 episode anime that rely more on the story than the character of the story.
Jun 4, 2009 4:45 AM

Feb 2008
The problems is that not everybody enjoys this kind of anime.Some might get bored after 20 episodes and just drop it.I almost done that at first.But after a while I noticed that the episodes became more funny so I continued to watch it .Now I gave it a 10 because I think that it is much better than a lot of animes out there.It is indeed worth watching.
SailorKagomeJun 5, 2009 3:30 AM

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jun 4, 2009 4:53 PM

Apr 2008
EtherealMerc said:
@RobgeFR

You're issing the point of this kinf od anime good friend.
I've not missed the point, just explained myself in a wrong way (I can have troubles explaining my point of view sometimes, since english is not my native language, so please bear with it.)

Let me see, what I tried to say before was that, some viewer can learn to like UY after having watched so many episodes, after all it is a long running series, for example like SailorKagome did. the fact that it has some many apisodes can conquer the viewer slowly.
On my case I enjoyed it immediately. And find it a excellent anime (9), but not a masterpiece (10), for a Takahashi masterpiece we have Maison Ikkoku. :)

Also, the fact that it is a episodic anime and doesn't really go anywhere, can turn some audience off.
Inuyasha and maison Ikkoku on the contrary do have a plot, at least mainly Inuyasha, in the case of Maison Ikkoku we just follow the events happening to some people life during 5 years(in the anime)/7 years(in the manga), well, we can call that a plot :).

On a side note, after watching some random user lists, I feel that classic shows like Urusei Yatsura are being prejudiced by the fact that some users indiscriminately rate dozens and dozens of anime in their lists as a 10, without having much knowledge in anime history.
Well, I don't generally care about that fact, but it called my attention again some minutes ago. It'll continue to happen again and again the the future orchestrated by newbe fandom, so... Hmm, I need to sleep now.
RobdeFRJun 4, 2009 5:00 PM
Jun 5, 2009 7:10 AM

Nov 2008
My 2 cents on whats likely a dead issue- I would not support messaging people asking them to simply change their rating.. I rated mine 10/10 because I felt it was 10/10 . I would never wish to tell someone else what to rate something. If they feel its 8 / 10 that is how they feel on the series.

I do agree if more people who have SEEN and READ UY were on MAL the rank would by that nature improve.
Jun 5, 2009 7:27 AM
May 2009
R there any issues with asking people who haven't rated to rate it?

People were still talking about it at Lum-chan
Jun 5, 2009 11:54 AM
Jul 2008
UruseiNeo said:
R there any issues with asking people who haven't rated to rate it?

People were still talking about it at Lum-chan

Actually...

I admit I did misread the first sentence of your post..
"After introducing the petition at Lum-Chan.com, we started discussing how to increase UY's rank."

I would be grateful if those in Lum-chan from comming to MAL and rating UY and I would be grateful if they signup with our club.

I am not against raising th popularity or UY...I just want us to do it through hjonest methods while keeping in mind that the only way UY is ever going to be in the top 50 or top 100 is to get a couple thousand people who have not seen UY to watch UY and then rank UY as an 8 or higher.

We cannot expect people to faslify their feelings. Now some would and are willing to do it, to see the show have more favor and yes that would helpo to increase its popularity. However like I have said having 10 to 20 people lie about it isn't going to be justifiable in the longrun, b/c it is not going to signifcantly change UY's ranking. It's going to take a lot mopre than 10 to 20 people.

The populairty of UY depends on how people view it. The ranking of UY is what it is and it is supposed to based on reailty for a reason.

Besdies how would we look if the word got out that we got several hundred people to lie about UY ranking?

Regradless of our dissagrement on this issue Neo, I want all of us to cooperate together to make this club the best it can be.
The clubs number-one objective is to raise the awareness of UY.

From the moment you spoke of Lum-chan my ears rang!
I had no idea that anybody was even using that site anymore. I thought it was a ghost-site. But you took the initiative, Neo. The intiative that you displayed by uploading UY on to youtube is why I asked you to be an admin on this club.

Neo, I want you to continue being our club's liaison with Lum-chan.
YES bring them to MAL. Have them rank UY. And, if you can bring them to our club.
Jun 5, 2009 2:59 PM
May 2009
In my defense, it actually seemed like a good idea at the time, now I don't remember why 0.0

maybe I didn't see it as lying for those who haven't voted YET.

I've been mostly driven by one of my online buddies trash talking the anime, despite NEVER watching, all cause it wasn't on the latest top 50 list -.-

Some people from Lum-Chan have already come over, I believe Cata is joined, I couldn't find Kroptik though.

Maybe some of you should join Lum-chan too, when u think about it, it's kinda unfair that only we are migrating. It'd be stronger if we really mixed the two sites.
Jun 5, 2009 11:45 PM
Jul 2008
UruseiNeo said:

Maybe some of you should join Lum-chan too, when u think about it, it's kinda unfair that only we are migrating. It'd be stronger if we really mixed the two sites.

that is a very good idea...sirwence and I both should since we are the other tweo admins here....but it would be good for both lum-chan and our lcub if everyone here joined lum-chan.
Jun 6, 2009 7:09 PM

Nov 2008
I joined the site on the early hours of the 6th set up my avatar and sig and introduced myself - I admit I am not much of the forum whore - I read more then I post on several occasions lol.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Who is your favorite character?

EtherealMerc - May 29, 2009

17 by Sdizz »»
Nov 25, 2023 5:15 PM

Sticky: » Holy cow!!! The club cards are done!!! ( 1 2 )

EtherealMerc - Jul 12, 2009

50 by FuyuChan1111 »»
Oct 19, 2012 6:12 PM

» Vote for Urusei Yatsura in Germany

AtaruLum - Oct 10, 2011

0 by AtaruLum »»
Oct 10, 2011 3:32 PM

Sticky: » Which episode made you laugh the hardest or for the longest amount of time?

EtherealMerc - Aug 11, 2009

4 by removed-user »»
Jul 26, 2011 3:03 AM

» We are recruting volunteers to do artwork for the club

EtherealMerc - Aug 24, 2010

0 by EtherealMerc »»
Aug 24, 2010 8:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.