Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2011 5:03 AM

Dec 2010
What can I say... Shinji is to blame for what happened. If he acted as his father said, he could have disposed of Eva03 without killing the pilot. I hate undetermined characters. Shinji must learn to act quickly because things can get only worse if you don't decide&act. He could have lost his friends by acting so naively.
MeritasAug 9, 2011 5:07 AM
Aug 17, 2011 11:43 AM
May 2011
Meritas said:
What can I say... Shinji is to blame for what happened. If he acted as his father said, he could have disposed of Eva03 without killing the pilot. I hate undetermined characters. Shinji must learn to act quickly because things can get only worse if you don't decide&act. He could have lost his friends by acting so naively.

It wasn't him who activated the dummy plug
It wasn't him who failed to deactivate the dummy plug when the Angel had clearly been neutralized.
He's still a whimp, and he could probably have done stopped it from happening, but it wasn't his fault.

Anyways, any respect I might have gained for his father is now completely gone...
Aug 21, 2011 9:52 PM

Apr 2011
I was watching this on the train on the way home from uni and I'd got up to the part where the Angel and Unit 03 were destroyed when I had to get off. And I was like "Holy f*ck...". And I thought Toji was dead because I couldn't think how he could have survived...when the plug got crushed. Glad he's alive though...
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Aug 21, 2011 10:36 PM

Jun 2009
Jazzalyn said:
I was watching this on the train on the way home from uni and I'd got up to the part where the Angel and Unit 03 were destroyed when I had to get off. And I was like "Holy f*ck...". And I thought Toji was dead because I couldn't think how he could have survived...when the plug got crushed. Glad he's alive though...

That's one hell of a show to watch on the train.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 21, 2011 10:36 PM

Dec 2010
Spoilers for the manga:
Aug 21, 2011 11:24 PM

Jun 2009
People don't be a complete idiot like me and click on the spoiler. FUCK!
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 19, 2011 4:17 AM

Jul 2009
SHINJI IS A PUSSBAG! FACE IT DAMN IT!

And LOLPLOTARMORLOL!

My inner space marine iz liek: this dummy plug controlled EVA is something else. It actually made this ep worth watching.
Nov 24, 2011 9:17 PM

Mar 2010
WHOA! DISREGARD WHAT I SAID IN THE 16TH EPISODE. T-H-I-S was pure epic! I watched an AMV of this scene by accident and mistakenly thought that Shinji went berserk and was in control of the UNIT 01 and he whooped UNIT 03's ass! But, sadly, it was the dummy! (TuT)p I was so excited as soon as I remembered that throat grab! EVEN if it was the dummy, that fight was intense! I thought Touji was TOAST! I can't believe he survived that! Nonetheless, it was an amazing episode. Kinda wondered what happened with Rie, though. Looking forward to the next!
Jan 22, 2012 8:56 PM

Jan 2012
i wanted to see toji really pilot 03...it was freaking sick looking...and god i can't even describe the pit i felt in my stomach as 01 crushed toji's pod...goddam it...this show gets me everytime i freaking watch it. And honestly...Asuka does worse in battle in just about every episode...WTF...
Mar 9, 2012 8:12 PM

Jan 2012
my eyes start welling up everytime i see Unit 01 clench 03's entry plug in it's hands...that whole time my mind just screams NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...thank god Touji survived though...of course it doesn't really mean much, this episode threw Shinji back over the deep end...
Mar 27, 2012 12:06 AM
Jul 2018
lol Eva-03 is Luffy
Aug 17, 2012 7:19 PM

Feb 2009
WHAT THE FUCK

I was gasping for the last 5 minutes or so. Brutal, absolutely brutal and disgusting the way Unit 03 got owned.

How did Touji survive that...? I wish he would have died, to be honest.
Aug 24, 2012 9:23 AM

Nov 2011
Of course i hated it in some ways, but loved how thrilling it was.

It happens almost in every evangelion episode; at the start i'm thinking: "Why i'm even watching this, it's kind of boring and I don't even like mecha"

But in the end I'm holding my breath and close to tears. I really hope that Toji survives D:

Sep 13, 2012 3:14 PM
Oct 2011
two things

1: even though Toji somehow survived he has is missing an arm now

&

@: this episode really cements how much of douche bag Gendo is, i mean you would think having eva 3 totally dismembered was enough, why didn't he issue the stop order BEFORE the entry plug was crushed.
Dec 10, 2012 7:56 AM

May 2012
Damn what an episode, that was really fucked up, I wonder if he's still alive or not I actually doubt it after having that much slaughter from that dummy! Damn what an intense moment, I do hope that he's alive :/
Dec 15, 2012 5:03 PM

Aug 2012
Shinji was too whiny in this episode.
Regardless, it feels like the series is finally picking up.
Dec 26, 2012 10:17 AM

May 2012
I'm really annoyed at how Shinji doesnt stop calling that bastard his father and punch him in the face. It doesnt matter if their blood related, in no way has he been a father to him. Shinji needs to stop being a crybaby and stand up.
Jan 8, 2013 4:32 AM

Sep 2008
Someone needs to slap shinji and tell him this.

Kill the enemy angel: Toji MIGHT die, everyone lives

Don't kill enemy angel: Everyone dies.

Yay fairness?

animalia said:
two things

1: even though Toji somehow survived he has is missing an arm now

&

@: this episode really cements how much of douche bag Gendo is, i mean you would think having eva 3 totally dismembered was enough, why didn't he issue the stop order BEFORE the entry plug was crushed.

It actually seemed like eva 01 automatically stopped after the perceived threat was gone, the dummy system was stated to be "flawed". From what I see, the dummy system is a manual way to make Evas berserk, at the cost of control.
yoitsmedanJan 8, 2013 4:37 AM
Jan 12, 2013 7:51 AM

May 2012
Ohhhhhh, so all the times his EVA has acted on its own and killed Angels brutally, it was the dummy plug? Makes sense.

By the way, making a messed up kid like Shinji pilot an EVA is probably the worst decision anyone could've made. This a boy didn't have a very happy childhood or even a decent up-bringing, thus he doesn't really know what to do with himself especially in combat situations as "gray-area'd" as the one he faced in this episode. He cant just quit and go home either because then he'll feel like a coward for the rest of his life (like Katsuragi pointed in that one episode.) He wants to prove himself to people and most of all his asshole madao of a father... Does he succeed? I dont know yet, but things arent looking good.

Unlike most shounen anime Shinji isn't just a badass avatar/main character for you to plaster your face on. He has his own morals and his own unique (IE strange) personality. Does it make it as enjoyable as other anime? Probably not, but it's enjoyable on a different level. I like that about Evangelion.
who_dat_ninjaJan 12, 2013 8:15 AM
Jan 15, 2013 4:02 AM
May 2012
IcecreamManwich said:
Ohhhhhh, so all the times his EVA has acted on its own and killed Angels brutally, it was the dummy plug? Makes sense.

By the way, making a messed up kid like Shinji pilot an EVA is probably the worst decision anyone could've made. This a boy didn't have a very happy childhood or even a decent up-bringing, thus he doesn't really know what to do with himself especially in combat situations as "gray-area'd" as the one he faced in this episode. He cant just quit and go home either because then he'll feel like a coward for the rest of his life (like Katsuragi pointed in that one episode.) He wants to prove himself to people and most of all his asshole madao of a father... Does he succeed? I dont know yet, but things arent looking good.

Unlike most shounen anime Shinji isn't just a badass avatar/main character for you to plaster your face on. He has his own morals and his own unique (IE strange) personality. Does it make it as enjoyable as other anime? Probably not, but it's enjoyable on a different level. I like that about Evangelion.

The Dummy Plug was only installed in Episode 17 or 18. I can't remember which, I haven't seen the series in awhile.
Feb 5, 2013 12:23 AM

Nov 2012
God I fucking love this episode.
Still my favorite, still gives the goosebumps.
Especially the way it ends.
Feb 25, 2013 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode.
Wasn't emotional at all though
Mar 15, 2013 6:40 PM
Apr 2012
DaBigD said:
First of all: I have to thank Gainax for using proper English.

Shinji is pretty much crazed right now. Wonder why he'd still pilot a Eva. Katsuragi doesn't understand him at all. Maybe he could've actually fought with Eva 03 if he knew that Touji was piloting him - to rescue him of course.

Is it just me or does the teacher always say the same things?

Totally! I was so confused because each video i started they were speaking actual english instead of engrish and i thought they were all dubbed haha.
Drgentile777 said:
controlmajortom said:

So how exactly is Shinji a normal 14 year old child?

Think about what you're saying.

Plus, Shinji wasn't forced to pilot anything. He was given numerous opportunities to leave, but refused to do so because he's an idiot who doesn't know what he wants.

Exactly. Shinji really is a little pussbag. I'm also pretty sure he could have subdued the angel without killing the pilot. I mean, look at what the dummy system did and Touji still survived. He needs to man up.

Hmm i dont completely agree. Yes technically he did have choice to pilot it or not but considering the amount of pressure that is on someone in his position (safety of the whole world blabla) its kind of hard to not feel 'forced'. You also shouldnt forget that while there are 3 perfectly capable pilots now back then the only other option was a severely wounded Rei whose EVA was being repaired. Not much of an option really. Are you actually thinking yourself about what you're saying?
@ Drgentile777 I dont remember any angels being defeated in a way you're a talking about. I do remember an attempt to catch an angel going horribly wrong and many angels going out with a big bang or being completely exterminated in a similar fashion.
Morani90Mar 15, 2013 6:59 PM
Apr 20, 2013 1:53 PM

Sep 2011
What the fuck that was so gruesome. Holy fucking shit.

May 5, 2013 3:15 PM

Feb 2012
Sad episode. :(

Thoughts from Episode 18

At start was so peaceful when Misato was telling that Unit 03 is been having test experiments in Matsushita. And also Kaji and Shinji's speech were interesting stuff to listen and I would wanted that we would get more info about Gendo.

I think that class rep read situation wrong cause Toji didn't like Rei but only said that Shinji likes Rei. Again Rei talked a little bit more.

No I understand why Misato didn't want to accept dummy plug use. Because it will make EVA's going that Berserk Mode. I still don't understand why Asuka didn't tell Shinji that 4th Children is Toji. Now I am not sure how that Unit 03 begin going off cotrol maybe some error or was it Angels. Still that was gore a lot of blood and smashing. Another episode that shows how cold hearted Ikari can be.

Luckily whole entry plug wasn't destroyed and Toji survived. Still now Toji and Shinji's friendship is broken and Shinji will go mentally sick for piloting EVA's.
And no more Asuka and Shinji I guess...

Teacher says same stuff over but it reminds me of events which is good.
May 18, 2013 7:00 AM
Jul 2018

Poor Shinji. His father is ruthless.
I really thought Touji died. The Dummy Plug system is much more fearful.
May 28, 2013 1:39 PM

Oct 2008
Fucking hell man, I thought Touji actually died.
Just. Wow. There are tears in my eyes and my heart hurts.
May 30, 2013 8:59 PM

May 2013
Actually disappointed that Touji didn't die.
You're all idiots, but I'm no different.
May 31, 2013 6:31 PM

Oct 2012
Ah, my favorite episode out of NGE. So much uneasiness, uncertainty, and trauma.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 1, 2013 8:40 AM

Apr 2013
controlmajortom said:
Shinji = Pussbag

Like you would be okay if 1 of your only 2 friends was almost killed by you...
Jun 1, 2013 4:13 PM

Mar 2012
Although I thought the totally annihilation of the angel-unit wasn't necessary I think Shinji's gotta get a grip....he'd rather die than kill another human being was the same as saying he'd rather die than save humanity...as that is exactly what it would have done. I google'd around...it seems in the mange Touji dies but the anime seems to be really dumbing down how dark the manga was, which is a shame...because I really think the anime so far would have been better if Touji did die. I also know a lot of other darker elements have been changed in the anime as opposed to the manga.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 1, 2013 4:13 PM

Oct 2011
This is my favorite episode of NGE. I've seen it more times than any other.
Jun 1, 2013 7:29 PM

Oct 2012
Venom900 said:
Although I thought the totally annihilation of the angel-unit wasn't necessary I think Shinji's gotta get a grip....he'd rather die than kill another human being was the same as saying he'd rather die than save humanity...as that is exactly what it would have done. I google'd around...it seems in the mange Touji dies but the anime seems to be really dumbing down how dark the manga was, which is a shame...because I really think the anime so far would have been better if Touji did die. I also know a lot of other darker elements have been changed in the anime as opposed to the manga.

You do realize that the TV series finished way, WAY, way sooner than the manga, right?
The manga is *just* about to end in a few months...it's been nearly 18 years. There's no way that the TV series 'screwed' up anything. The manga you could say simply took events from the TV series and made it 'darker'.
If anything, Evangelion 2.22 'dumbed' down the tone in this sequence. Seriously, when you get the chance, compare the two.
(However, 2.22 did get some things right/better in this particular sequence, but overall, it still doesn't have the same effect as episode 18 did.)
ShoryuJun 1, 2013 7:35 PM

Jun 1, 2013 10:28 PM

Mar 2012
I never said the TV series "screwed" up anything, nor did I imply it, I only implied that I felt like the manga version would have been better. If you want to start doing quotables at least match it up to what I say.

I'm not oblivious to obvious things, as your sarcastic reply implied.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 1, 2013 10:37 PM

Oct 2012
Venom900 said:
I never said the TV series "screwed" up anything, nor did I imply it, I only implied that I felt like the manga version would have been better. If you want to start doing quotables at least match it up to what I say.

I do not know what else to conclude when...
the anime seems to be really dumbing down how dark the manga was, which is a shame...because I really think the anime so far would have been better if Touji did die.

How can it dumb down something that wasn't even out? It seemed as if you're implying the anime was poorly adapting the manga, when there's nothing to adapt.

So even so, your statement doesn't make sense.
ShoryuJun 1, 2013 10:43 PM

Jun 1, 2013 11:04 PM

Mar 2012
You're assuming that "screwed up" is the same as "dumbing down" which are two totally different things. As stated I googled around and saw the manga was released before the tv series and thought oh hey the tv series was based on the manga until i read later on this evening about it.

Despite all that I still hold my opinion that the mangas version of the event is better.

Jun 1, 2013 11:14 PM

Oct 2012
Well, now this bit is resolved, all's right with the world.

Jun 1, 2013 11:17 PM

Nov 2012
Tavor, Tavor and Tavor everywhere.
NGE's biggest waifu.
Jun 1, 2013 11:18 PM

Oct 2011
RandomPerson3 said:
Tavor, Tavor and Tavor everywhere.
NGE's biggest waifu.

He's doing God's work. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Jun 1, 2013 11:26 PM

Mar 2012
I'm glad to have helped resolve your dilemma of understanding English phrases

Jun 19, 2013 5:21 PM
May 2013
I gave this episode 3/5 because of the horrible first half.

Shinji failed so much in this episode because instead trying to save the Unit 03's pilot and defeat it he started whining about how he doesn't want to kill people and because of that Touji almost got killed...

I like how Eva 01 went berserk and killed 03 .
Jul 5, 2013 12:12 AM

Dec 2012
It was hard watching Shinji fight Eva 03 without knowing who the pilot was. I felt bad for him when he discovered it was actually Touji.
Jul 23, 2013 6:53 PM

Jun 2013
Fuck. This episode was so intense at the end... When the entry plug was being crushed by the ruthless unit-01, I just kept saying: did he just... did he just die? I think he actually survived, though. Because they showed his body at the end and it didn't look too damaged.
And Shinji had to watch the whole thing. Poor kid... God damn it.
Jul 23, 2013 6:57 PM

Jun 2013
Zarnaav said:

Shinji failed so much in this episode because instead trying to save the Unit 03's pilot and defeat it he started whining about how he doesn't want to kill people and because of that Touji almost got killed...

Agreed. He should have fought back. I was thinking while watching him being strangled: why doesn't he at least try and unplug the power cord of Unit-03? That wouldn't hurt the other pilot.
Aug 10, 2013 4:57 AM

Jul 2013
This episode was amazing! Showing that an Eva can turn in to an Angel was pure brilliance!

The dummy plug was crazy! I did not expect it to just carry on beating it up.

I'm glad Toji didn't die as well. But I think he'll be scared of those Eva's for life now after that ordeal!
Aug 10, 2013 5:59 AM

Aug 2013
holy crap it was awesome

it was yet another time where this anime dwells on the Human nature and shows believable emotions from a person whether it be an adult or child
Sup People and yes I am the physical manifestation of Shinji Ikari's Balls

And this what elite-sama says to incest
elite-sama said:
I'm against it because I don't have a sister. It's not fair.
Aug 28, 2013 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
Omfg when Shinji's EVA 01 went into dummy mode I seriously almost threw up just watching it destroy EVA 03.. Knowing that Touji felt ALL of that pain made me sick to my stomach, though he survived (being as sick and twisted as I am) I kinda wished that he would have died.. I mean the chance of surviving that attack seems a bit unrealistic. Also Shinji being completely oblivious to knowing who the pilot was despite it being heavily hinted as to being Touji somewhat ruined the episode for me.

& Has anyone ever wondered why they just don't use the dummy mode instead of children piloting the EVA's? Not sure if this gets explained or not so I was just curious on your thoughts. The dummy mode actually gets more shit done in my eyes than the children do.
Sep 10, 2013 9:46 PM

Sep 2011
Dayuum.
Oct 11, 2013 10:23 PM
Aug 2013
holy shit
Oct 14, 2013 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
Shit... How the hell Touji didn't die, I will never know.
Evangelions are scary things O__O
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Today, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Today, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.