Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2009 11:01 AM

Apr 2009
What...the fuck.
If I'm right (and I must be, seeing that Rei had felt it when the arm was cut off), Touji felt all of it. ALL of the freaking carnage show.
And mind you, Shinji didn't know that it was Touji, while Touji knew it was Shinji sitting there. Which basically gives you:
- being chosen as the one who's gonna pilot a freaky semi-living mecha
- having said mecha possessed (first time using it)
- unwillingly destroying half of the city
- numbing pain in every little part of your body, as another freaky semi-living mecha rips yours to shreds
- realization of the fact that it's your friend that's ripping you apart.
God damn it. Talk about bad luck.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 8, 2009 9:51 PM

Feb 2009
Cenedess said:
What...the fuck.
If I'm right (and I must be, seeing that Rei had felt it when the arm was cut off), Touji felt all of it. ALL of the freaking carnage show.
And mind you, Shinji didn't know that it was Touji, while Touji knew it was Shinji sitting there. Which basically gives you:
- numbing pain in every little part of your body, as another freaky semi-living mecha rips yours to shreds

After seeing that scene I just thought "damn if that guy survives he's gonna be the next Darth Vader!"

This was an AMAZING episode, very intense.

This series is becoming so violent on so many levels... I'm not talking about graphic violence here, I'm talking about the disturbing events those kids are going through... what makes NGE so frightening is how it manages to make it look so freaking real.
Nov 9, 2009 5:07 PM

Jun 2008
I understand how Shinji feels... I wouldn't be able to kill somebody, regardless of the situation. Very dramatic episode.
Nov 29, 2009 1:17 PM

Oct 2009
controlmajortom said:
zarwin said:
controlmajortom said:
zarwin said:
controlmajortom said:
Shinji = Pussbag

Shinji=Normal 14 year old child.

Most 14 year old children aren't as insecure and self-destructing as Shinji.

Most children haven't had a shitty childhood and aren't forced to pilot an eva. I think just about any child would act similar to Shinji if given the same circumstances.

So how exactly is Shinji a normal 14 year old child?

Think about what you're saying.

Plus, Shinji wasn't forced to pilot anything. He was given numerous opportunities to leave, but refused to do so because he's an idiot who doesn't know what he wants.

He was fine for the last several episodes, until he was trapped in a fucking black hole inside a living mecha for 16 hours, then tripped out and saw his dead mother plus a lot of fucked up shit. THEN saw his own living mecha going berserk, mutilating and dismembering another living mecha that had one of his classmates inside.
Dec 5, 2009 9:29 AM

Apr 2009
controlmajortom said:
zarwin said:
controlmajortom said:
zarwin said:
controlmajortom said:
Shinji = Pussbag

Shinji=Normal 14 year old child.

Most 14 year old children aren't as insecure and self-destructing as Shinji.

Most children haven't had a shitty childhood and aren't forced to pilot an eva. I think just about any child would act similar to Shinji if given the same circumstances.

So how exactly is Shinji a normal 14 year old child?

Think about what you're saying.

Plus, Shinji wasn't forced to pilot anything. He was given numerous opportunities to leave, but refused to do so because he's an idiot who doesn't know what he wants.

Exactly. Shinji really is a little pussbag. I'm also pretty sure he could have subdued the angel without killing the pilot. I mean, look at what the dummy system did and Touji still survived. He needs to man up.
Dec 29, 2009 8:41 PM
May 2008
As far as intense action goes in this series, this episode takes the cake. Also, the "massacre" scene was pretty chilling and all around excellently done.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 7, 2010 2:29 PM
Jun 2008
WT*?? O.o

Shinji's father is an...! Argh! I've never thought that an EVA would bleed so much!

Just one word for this episode: gory
Jan 28, 2010 3:35 PM

Jan 2010
Toji can do whatever he wants for all I care. I don't like his character anyway...

And Rei cares for Shinji <3
Apr 23, 2010 11:19 AM
Apr 2008
Wow. Traumatic. Wasn't that supposed to be Rei's personality in the dummy plug? I really think that EVA-01 crushed that entry plug so badly no one could have survived, but that might be just a little bit too mean.

May 6, 2010 3:25 PM

Aug 2009
Veethorn said:

This series is becoming so violent on so many levels... I'm not talking about graphic violence here, I'm talking about the disturbing events those kids are going through... what makes NGE so frightening is how it manages to make it look so freaking real.

I've had that feeling since the first episode, this was a really hard hitting episode. I was sure Toji was gonna die. But of a copout :(
May 11, 2010 11:13 AM
Jan 2010
Cenedess said:
What...the fuck.

Might be a long time, since you posted.

But EVA03 REJECTED (or the nerv impulses reversed, dunno exactley )Touji, so there was no nerve connenction, thus he didn't feel any of the EVA mutilation.
May 15, 2010 3:19 PM

Aug 2008
How is his body not mangled beyond human recognition...?
May 29, 2010 8:34 AM

Apr 2009
Big_Fish said:
Cenedess said:
What...the fuck.

Might be a long time, since you posted.

But EVA03 REJECTED (or the nerv impulses reversed, dunno exactley )Touji, so there was no nerve connenction, thus he didn't feel any of the EVA mutilation.

THANK GOD YOU SAID THAT. I regained a little bit of my sanity.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 24, 2010 8:24 AM

Feb 2008
That was gross.
Jul 25, 2010 1:54 PM

May 2008
I seriously thought that Touji died, I almost cried....
Very intense ending, I loved this episode~
Jul 31, 2010 11:59 AM

Jan 2010
That was an intense, hard hitting episode. This series is just getting better.
Aug 1, 2010 4:32 PM
Jun 2010
lol mechas bleeding and moving like a normal human.Anyway, good episode, could have been 100x better if they didn't "tell" us who was the 4th child and if he was actually killed during that "bloody" fight.

Aug 1, 2010 5:15 PM

Dec 2007
lol at you thinking they are mechas when they are not.
Aug 9, 2010 2:49 PM

Jul 2009
The only episode that REALLY caught my attention. Alot of NGE is really uneventful for me, to be honest....
Aug 24, 2010 9:33 PM

Aug 2009
Fuck man such an intense episode.

I knew the pilot was Touji but I didn't know that Eva-03 would go run amok. I feel sorry for Shinji just because noone told him who the pilot was. I mean Asuka tried to inform him several times but she always gets interupted. Misato didn't inform him either. I mean I would go berserk if someone really close to me was inside of that cockpit and noone told me about it.

Let me tell you one thing. The dummy plug sure did its job. I mean it destroyed the enemy without mercy. I guess that's what the NERV wanted all along. An Evangelion who doesn't have mercy and always follow orders.
Oct 11, 2010 8:44 AM
Jul 2010
DaBigD said:
First of all: I have to thank Gainax for using proper English.

Shinji is pretty much crazed right now. Wonder why he'd still pilot a Eva. Katsuragi doesn't understand him at all. Maybe he could've actually fought with Eva 03 if he knew that Touji was piloting him - to rescue him of course.

Is it just me or does the teacher always say the same things?

Yeah, all they talk about at school is the Second Impact and its consequences. It's like they only have history lessons and nothing ever existed before the Second Impact...

I thought Touji was dead. It was still a pretty brutal episode. Shiji, seeing all of that happen without being able to do anything... And what will Touji think if his memory is alright? I mean, he knew that it was Shinji inside Unit-01...

One more thing: Doesn't the dummy plug have Rei's personality? Pretty scary o.o
Oct 11, 2010 6:22 PM
Aug 2008
The dummy plug is supposed to have Rei's personality.
But I hope it was encoded on before Rei started getting all emotional and disobeying orders now.

Otherwise, I see Shinji and EVA-01 going berserk next episode.
You know, the berserk with the blackouts and the, "Ohh no, not this ceiling again" berserk.
Nov 6, 2010 3:48 PM
Oct 2010
A truly amazing episode! I felt so sorry for Suzuhara... And Shinji... But if I were Shinji I'd try to get to Unit's 03 entry plug, take it out and destroy the Eva. But it could've been impossible to even hurt it without that fu***ing dummy plug...
Nov 18, 2010 1:34 PM

Jul 2010
Oh man, the carnage in those last scenes was insane. I was definitely grimacing when Shinji (or rather Eva 01) was tearing 03 to pieces, and considering that pain is transferred directly to Touji...shit. HUGE amounts of blood too, enough to dye the entire river red o.o And of course, it cuts to Hikari in the end who's still happy and oblivious to everything that's going on. I feel so bad for her T.T

This episode confirms that Gendou Ikari is one giant asshole who'd probably use dummy plugs over actual pilots all the time if he could, and also that Shinji REALLY needs to man up. He could've tried fighting 03, and considering Touji was still alive after having his entry plug crushed, Shinji could've easily subdued the unit without doing nearly as much damage as the dummy controlled Eva.

Can't wait to see how this all resolves. Easily 5/5
Feb 11, 2011 7:39 PM

Sep 2010
That was an um...interesting episode.
Feb 12, 2011 8:01 PM

Aug 2010
How the fuck did Touji survive that massacre?

And yes, Shinji confirmed as major pussbag.
Feb 22, 2011 11:36 PM

Sep 2009
Moonfrost said:

I knew the pilot was Touji but I didn't know that Eva-03 would go run amok. I feel sorry for Shinji just because noone told him who the pilot was. I mean Asuka tried to inform him several times but she always gets interupted. Misato didn't inform him either. I mean I would go berserk if someone really close to me was inside of that cockpit and noone told me about it.

Let me tell you one thing. The dummy plug sure did its job. I mean it destroyed the enemy without mercy. I guess that's what the NERV wanted all along. An Evangelion who doesn't have mercy and always follow orders.

Especially now that their precious Rei has been tainted by human emotions.

I'm totally not getting any of your guys logic on Shini being a "Pussbag"
He doesn't want to kill humans....fucking duh. This isn't Gundam. He hasn't been killing humans since his first fight.
That was his first encounter against a human enemy and I'm sure deep inside Shinji knew who the pilot was. Since he isn't exactly a dumb kid.

I liked how Rei could have taken down Unit Three but was stopped by her pesky newfound human emotions. Character development I quite frankly wasn't expecting.

Penguins would have been a better choice to pilot Unit Three.
Mar 2, 2011 9:34 PM
Dec 2010
God, I remember this episode from when I first saw.....8 FRICKIN YEARS AGO.

Intense. This is the Eva I remember. Can't wait to see the "ending" again.
"I... don't need anything else...if you don't need anything else."
May 8, 2011 7:06 AM

Oct 2008
Whoa whoa. Poor Shinji.

I thought Touji was dead for a second. ;_;
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 2, 2011 2:57 PM

Aug 2010
Sabinlerose said:
Moonfrost said:

Especially now that their precious Rei has been tainted by human emotions.

I'm totally not getting any of your guys logic on Shini being a "Pussbag"
He doesn't want to kill humans....fucking duh. This isn't Gundam. He hasn't been killing humans since his first fight.
That was his first encounter against a human enemy and I'm sure deep inside Shinji knew who the pilot was. Since he isn't exactly a dumb kid.

My exact thoughts, I mean shinji is only human for me its natural not wanting to kill another human being (if it wasn't like that he would really have issues...) and the fact that HE IS 14 YEARS OLD dammit all those ppl calling him "pussbag" its because they really haven't got a clue of the suffering and experiences shinji might have try to put yourself in his place, talking is cheap you know...
Aug 9, 2011 5:03 AM

Dec 2010
What can I say... Shinji is to blame for what happened. If he acted as his father said, he could have disposed of Eva03 without killing the pilot. I hate undetermined characters. Shinji must learn to act quickly because things can get only worse if you don't decide&act. He could have lost his friends by acting so naively.
MeritasAug 9, 2011 5:07 AM
Aug 17, 2011 11:43 AM
May 2011
Meritas said:
What can I say... Shinji is to blame for what happened. If he acted as his father said, he could have disposed of Eva03 without killing the pilot. I hate undetermined characters. Shinji must learn to act quickly because things can get only worse if you don't decide&act. He could have lost his friends by acting so naively.

It wasn't him who activated the dummy plug
It wasn't him who failed to deactivate the dummy plug when the Angel had clearly been neutralized.
He's still a whimp, and he could probably have done stopped it from happening, but it wasn't his fault.

Anyways, any respect I might have gained for his father is now completely gone...
Aug 21, 2011 9:52 PM

Apr 2011
I was watching this on the train on the way home from uni and I'd got up to the part where the Angel and Unit 03 were destroyed when I had to get off. And I was like "Holy f*ck...". And I thought Toji was dead because I couldn't think how he could have survived...when the plug got crushed. Glad he's alive though...
~Miss_Jazzalyn~
Aug 21, 2011 10:36 PM

Jun 2009
Jazzalyn said:
I was watching this on the train on the way home from uni and I'd got up to the part where the Angel and Unit 03 were destroyed when I had to get off. And I was like "Holy f*ck...". And I thought Toji was dead because I couldn't think how he could have survived...when the plug got crushed. Glad he's alive though...

That's one hell of a show to watch on the train.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 21, 2011 10:36 PM

Dec 2010
Spoilers for the manga:
Aug 21, 2011 11:24 PM

Jun 2009
People don't be a complete idiot like me and click on the spoiler. FUCK!
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 19, 2011 4:17 AM

Jul 2009
SHINJI IS A PUSSBAG! FACE IT DAMN IT!

And LOLPLOTARMORLOL!

My inner space marine iz liek: this dummy plug controlled EVA is something else. It actually made this ep worth watching.
Nov 24, 2011 9:17 PM

Mar 2010
WHOA! DISREGARD WHAT I SAID IN THE 16TH EPISODE. T-H-I-S was pure epic! I watched an AMV of this scene by accident and mistakenly thought that Shinji went berserk and was in control of the UNIT 01 and he whooped UNIT 03's ass! But, sadly, it was the dummy! (TuT)p I was so excited as soon as I remembered that throat grab! EVEN if it was the dummy, that fight was intense! I thought Touji was TOAST! I can't believe he survived that! Nonetheless, it was an amazing episode. Kinda wondered what happened with Rie, though. Looking forward to the next!
Jan 22, 2012 8:56 PM

Jan 2012
i wanted to see toji really pilot 03...it was freaking sick looking...and god i can't even describe the pit i felt in my stomach as 01 crushed toji's pod...goddam it...this show gets me everytime i freaking watch it. And honestly...Asuka does worse in battle in just about every episode...WTF...
Mar 9, 2012 8:12 PM

Jan 2012
my eyes start welling up everytime i see Unit 01 clench 03's entry plug in it's hands...that whole time my mind just screams NOOOOOOOOOOOOO...thank god Touji survived though...of course it doesn't really mean much, this episode threw Shinji back over the deep end...
Mar 27, 2012 12:06 AM
Jul 2018
lol Eva-03 is Luffy
Aug 17, 2012 7:19 PM

Feb 2009
WHAT THE FUCK

I was gasping for the last 5 minutes or so. Brutal, absolutely brutal and disgusting the way Unit 03 got owned.

How did Touji survive that...? I wish he would have died, to be honest.
Aug 24, 2012 9:23 AM

Nov 2011
Of course i hated it in some ways, but loved how thrilling it was.

It happens almost in every evangelion episode; at the start i'm thinking: "Why i'm even watching this, it's kind of boring and I don't even like mecha"

But in the end I'm holding my breath and close to tears. I really hope that Toji survives D:

Sep 13, 2012 3:14 PM
Oct 2011
two things

1: even though Toji somehow survived he has is missing an arm now

&

@: this episode really cements how much of douche bag Gendo is, i mean you would think having eva 3 totally dismembered was enough, why didn't he issue the stop order BEFORE the entry plug was crushed.
Dec 10, 2012 7:56 AM

May 2012
Damn what an episode, that was really fucked up, I wonder if he's still alive or not I actually doubt it after having that much slaughter from that dummy! Damn what an intense moment, I do hope that he's alive :/
Dec 15, 2012 5:03 PM

Aug 2012
Shinji was too whiny in this episode.
Regardless, it feels like the series is finally picking up.
Dec 26, 2012 10:17 AM

May 2012
I'm really annoyed at how Shinji doesnt stop calling that bastard his father and punch him in the face. It doesnt matter if their blood related, in no way has he been a father to him. Shinji needs to stop being a crybaby and stand up.
Jan 8, 2013 4:32 AM

Sep 2008
Someone needs to slap shinji and tell him this.

Kill the enemy angel: Toji MIGHT die, everyone lives

Don't kill enemy angel: Everyone dies.

Yay fairness?

animalia said:
two things

1: even though Toji somehow survived he has is missing an arm now

&

@: this episode really cements how much of douche bag Gendo is, i mean you would think having eva 3 totally dismembered was enough, why didn't he issue the stop order BEFORE the entry plug was crushed.

It actually seemed like eva 01 automatically stopped after the perceived threat was gone, the dummy system was stated to be "flawed". From what I see, the dummy system is a manual way to make Evas berserk, at the cost of control.
yoitsmedanJan 8, 2013 4:37 AM
Jan 12, 2013 7:51 AM

May 2012
Ohhhhhh, so all the times his EVA has acted on its own and killed Angels brutally, it was the dummy plug? Makes sense.

By the way, making a messed up kid like Shinji pilot an EVA is probably the worst decision anyone could've made. This a boy didn't have a very happy childhood or even a decent up-bringing, thus he doesn't really know what to do with himself especially in combat situations as "gray-area'd" as the one he faced in this episode. He cant just quit and go home either because then he'll feel like a coward for the rest of his life (like Katsuragi pointed in that one episode.) He wants to prove himself to people and most of all his asshole madao of a father... Does he succeed? I dont know yet, but things arent looking good.

Unlike most shounen anime Shinji isn't just a badass avatar/main character for you to plaster your face on. He has his own morals and his own unique (IE strange) personality. Does it make it as enjoyable as other anime? Probably not, but it's enjoyable on a different level. I like that about Evangelion.
who_dat_ninjaJan 12, 2013 8:15 AM
Jan 15, 2013 4:02 AM
May 2012
IcecreamManwich said:
Ohhhhhh, so all the times his EVA has acted on its own and killed Angels brutally, it was the dummy plug? Makes sense.

By the way, making a messed up kid like Shinji pilot an EVA is probably the worst decision anyone could've made. This a boy didn't have a very happy childhood or even a decent up-bringing, thus he doesn't really know what to do with himself especially in combat situations as "gray-area'd" as the one he faced in this episode. He cant just quit and go home either because then he'll feel like a coward for the rest of his life (like Katsuragi pointed in that one episode.) He wants to prove himself to people and most of all his asshole madao of a father... Does he succeed? I dont know yet, but things arent looking good.

Unlike most shounen anime Shinji isn't just a badass avatar/main character for you to plaster your face on. He has his own morals and his own unique (IE strange) personality. Does it make it as enjoyable as other anime? Probably not, but it's enjoyable on a different level. I like that about Evangelion.

The Dummy Plug was only installed in Episode 17 or 18. I can't remember which, I haven't seen the series in awhile.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.