Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 29, 2009 3:27 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I got a flashback of Brad Pitt screaming "Whats in the box!? Open the box!!!"
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 16, 2009 4:35 PM

Sep 2008
The ending was great! The music made it even more intense, love it.
Sep 6, 2009 1:26 PM

Apr 2009
So far, this may be my favorite adaptation of the story yet. I'm holding off final judgment until the end, since there's still lots of important stuff to come, but I'm really happy that the writers haven't wussed out on the Dumas sense of aristocrat fidelity (in marriage or anything else, really).
Sep 23, 2009 7:58 PM

Jul 2008
The animation is so trippy to watch on my television screen. I definitely would not want to stream this. Too epic looking.

A child seventeen years ago? Why am I thinking it's the boy the Count introduced this episode? :?

BEGINNER
Mar 17, 2010 12:12 AM

Feb 2010
adamantine said:

A child seventeen years ago? Why am I thinking it's the boy the Count introduced this episode? :?

Quite possibly. I have to agree. This anime is simply fantastic and the visuals are excellent!

I like how its realism mixed with fantasy- aka trippy visuals. The only other anime to truly succeed in this (that ive seen) is Utena, but in a diff way.

Love it. Love. It.
Apr 4, 2010 11:36 PM

Nov 2007
Wow O_O intense lead up there the music, setting everything, really interested in the story behind this =O
Feb 15, 2011 7:40 AM

Dec 2008
I want to know what's in that box!!!
The Count of Monte Cristo is just so suave that he can make revenge look good! I can't get enough of that man!!
Feb 21, 2011 12:08 PM

Sep 2008
adamantine said:

This is what I'm suspecting... :x

And gahh! I want to know what's in the box! Mean cliffhanger... (i.e. A very well done cliffhanger!)

As has been said before: this series just keeps getting better and better...
Apr 7, 2011 11:51 PM

Feb 2010
adamantine said:

It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jul 18, 2011 9:30 PM

Mar 2009
Pulp Fiction?
Mar 29, 2012 8:43 PM

May 2010
DAMN IT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S INT HE BOX
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 14, 2012 6:18 AM

May 2012
Damn nice, he gathered all 3 families together, he's definitely plotting something, and dafuq is in that box? Something of that child related of that affair?
Dec 29, 2012 5:25 PM
Oct 2012
What's in the box? What is this affair? Will count admit in the next episode of who he really? Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky Count ...
Aug 19, 2013 9:11 AM

Jul 2013
Interesting. I was kinda surprised that the count acted so boldly so early on. I'm not too familiar with the original story but i don't at least remember him sticking in the shadows on the Depardieu version.
Nov 3, 2013 12:03 AM

Mar 2012
This anime is so awesome :D
Nov 17, 2013 3:05 AM

May 2011
Beatnik said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I got a flashback of Brad Pitt screaming "Whats in the box!? Open the box!!!"
We will never forget that film, Se7en.
"You may lie to everyone in the world, but yourself". Guilt is but a result of sins, and now, the Count is but one step closer to fulfilling his revenge.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Jan 12, 2014 9:18 PM

Aug 2010
So much suspense this episode.

That box! What a way to end an episode.
Feb 11, 2014 5:57 AM
Jun 2012
The way this anime is presenting this classic story to a new audience is just brilliant. All these posts screaming "What's in the box!?" have made me realize just how well they structured the mysteries of this show.
At least the answer to THIS particular mystery should be answered rather quickly.

-Arvis
Mar 14, 2014 8:44 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching)

Gotta love how the count toys with everyone.
Mar 31, 2014 10:28 AM

Jan 2013
The Count plays his cards very well. He has made Alfred his pet dog *sigh*
I wonder if the aristocrats have more of these indecent secrets *eyes sparkle*
4.5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 14, 2014 10:36 PM

Sep 2013
What.

Is that an aborted baby?
Aug 3, 2015 6:24 AM

Oct 2013
That got damn intense at the end. The Count is playing everybody into his hands.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 3, 2015 6:24 AM

Jan 2014
Zadion said:
That got damn intense at the end. The Count is playing everybody into his hands.
Sep 21, 2015 1:03 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah I thought the baby was in the box.

The Count is kinda cruel doing that.
Oct 6, 2015 8:12 PM

Apr 2014
The count has Albert lured in so deep, he's blind to all his faults.

I agree with the other comments. In that box probably is a baby.
DawningFogOct 6, 2015 8:20 PM
Oct 24, 2015 11:58 AM
May 2012
HydraA said:
The ending was great! The music made it even more intense, love it.

I know, right! I really like that OST.
I want to know what's in the box, but it's time to sleep.
Jan 11, 2016 1:26 AM

Jan 2013
This keeps getting better. Nice flow this episode.
So many mysteries
Jun 11, 2016 11:23 AM

Feb 2016
Further manipulation going on by the count in this episode too. He knows how to win the heart of anyone by attaining their trust first. Apparently he also is plotting something by inviting all the three big incumbents into an abandoned vicinity and separating them.

It looks like there are some dark events from the past of those guests as I'm able to assume by watching the final moments of this episode. I wonder what kind of reveals await us now.
Oct 8, 2016 11:15 AM

Sep 2014
The suspence in end was high. I love how Count is slowly and slowly revealing his true nature and ambitions.
Dec 16, 2016 8:46 AM

Jun 2013
BurntJelly said:
Gotta love how the count toys with everyone.

He is the only thing that makes this show worth watching at all. I'm so tired of all the other characters.

I think one the reasons why I'm not having fun with this show is that is set in a "crapsack world" but without any relatable characters except for the Count. Another is how ridiculously little the female characters matter, even though there's so many of them. In-universe, they're all just there to look pretty and be someone's wife. They can have no ambition besides being a "good wife". I'm aware of the fact that this was the way things were in the 19th century, but it's really depressing and frustrating to watch all of this happen in a futuristic setting. The fact that the characters don't even comment on this situation, and that none of these characters have tried to rebel makes it even worse.

Well, maybe Heloise and Eugenie will do something interesting at some point. The rest of them are pretty hopeless, though.
LeeTailorDec 16, 2016 8:59 AM
Feb 18, 2017 5:10 AM

Oct 2012
Poor Albert, his group was the worst

Awww that was sweet, only Albert knows about Count's secret xD
"Signature removed"
Feb 20, 2017 8:25 PM

Mar 2015
I don't hate the complicated relationships between these so-called high and mighty people

Man, the Count is a devilish schemer!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 3, 2017 7:20 AM

Sep 2016
I watched the movie of "The Count of Monte Cristo", so I kinda knew how it would turn out and felt less surprised than those who don't know the story.
it's not at all a bad series, but it didn't intrigue me until probably ep#6. I'm glad I gave this show another try after the failed attempt years ago.

Usually middle-aged man with deep voice is so not my cup of tea, but the Count totally let me fall in his sexy voice with his charm.

On a side note, the choice of voice actors is also interesting, gonna love that for sure~
the Count=Nakata Jouji=Kotomine Kirei
Andrea=Seki Tomokazu=Gilgamesh
Orikasa_MomijiJun 3, 2017 9:12 AM
Aug 4, 2017 7:06 AM

Feb 2013
That bitch is poisoning Valentine.
Aug 4, 2017 12:13 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Orikasa_Momiji said:
I watched the movie of "The Count of Monte Cristo", so I kinda knew how it would turn out and felt less surprised than those who don't know the story.
it's not at all a bad series, but it didn't intrigue me until probably ep#6. I'm glad I gave this show another try after the failed attempt years ago.

Usually middle-aged man with deep voice is so not my cup of tea, but the Count totally let me fall in his sexy voice with his charm.

On a side note, the choice of voice actors is also interesting, gonna love that for sure~
the Count=Nakata Jouji=Kotomine Kirei
Andrea=Seki Tomokazu=Gilgamesh

xD Oh snap, no wonder why the Count's voice sounded familiar. Amazing that they're both accomplices in another anime.

And I also feel the same way as you(although I didn't watch the movie). I thought the earlier episodes were sort of confusing and I didn't know what direction the anime was going. It was boring as well.
Aug 4, 2017 8:18 PM

Sep 2016

MistyBlue said:
xD Oh snap, no wonder why the Count's voice sounded familiar. Amazing that they're both accomplices in another anime.

I kinda feel that they chose these two for Fate because of their combination & performance here in Gankutsuou.
Nov 10, 2017 11:40 PM

Jan 2010
I believe the proper term to describe The Count's actions as "playing everyone like a violin."
Nov 14, 2017 10:51 PM
Aug 2017
Ulquiorra said:

FINALLY! Someone mentioned it. She certainly did poison Valentine. At first, I thought she was dead while sitting on the bench but then she finally moved. It might be that she plans to start poisoning her slowly. Now, I've only ever saw the movie but a lot of these characters are new to me. The fact the Count will be the reason that innocent Valentine dies/is dieing pisses me off. I'm sure he knew that would happen, that bastard. I worry for Eugene now. That blond guy might be her brother who will likely take the role of her killer/seducer. This version of Monte Cristo I do not know. It's frustrating with some of these characters.
Jan 31, 2018 8:11 AM

May 2017
Visuals in this show really are like no other, mesmerising to watch.
Liking where this story is going.
Feb 3, 2019 10:37 PM
Feb 2019

Very good the count torturando psychologically the rascal of villefort.

Vivir said:
Ulquiorra said:

FINALLY! Someone mentioned it. She certainly did poison Valentine. At first, I thought she was dead while sitting on the bench but then she finally moved. It might be that she plans to start poisoning her slowly. Now, I've only ever saw the movie but a lot of these characters are new to me. The fact the Count will be the reason that innocent Valentine dies/is dieing pisses me off. I'm sure he knew that would happen, that bastard. I worry for Eugene now. That blond guy might be her brother who will likely take the role of her killer/seducer. This version of Monte Cristo I do not know. It's frustrating with some of these characters.

Feb 4, 2019 10:28 AM

May 2016
It's pretty early into the episode but I felt that must type down one thing to start things off. Fuck you, Heloise! Don't you dare try to poison Valentine in this dreadful place because of your horny greedy fantasies, bitch.

Villefort and Lady Danglar's having a secret promiscuous relationship with each other too. I'm surprised about that but I'm even more surprised on how I'm still surprised about affairs coming up. There are affairs everywhere and this is Aristocratic France we're talking about. I put too much faith into these pompous trashbags. It was amusing to see the two hide only for Villefort to think: "Hey, I thought that I sentenced this guy to death earlier..." when he noticed Benedetto.

Benedetto looks like he's gonna sweep Euginea off her feet at this rate and our little Albert looks a bit bothered towards that. Not bothered enough but it looked like he cared anyway. The Count decided to have them all have a game to wander around in this house full of rather eventful memories and he made sure to let Team DangFort find the cursed room first. They definitely used to be a thing, and a rather secret thing at that, and what was in the box could've been the dried out corpse of their miscarried/aborted lovechild.

The Count got Space AIDS kek

Apr 6, 2019 6:14 AM

Aug 2009
They're really upping the tension, but I'm still not totally feeling this show. The Count is very interesting and mysterious and I LOVE his voice acting performance. As a huge fan of Fate/zero, it's great to hear Kirei's beautiful voice again in a major role.

I severely dislike Albert. I get that he's an innocent teenager, but he acts like a damn child most of the time. I guess he's there so the audience can see a clear difference between perfect innocence (Albert) and the fucked up ways these aristocrats actually live (almost all the other characters), which isn't innocent at all.

The Count is scheming something (probably a revenge plot?) and I'm very curious to find out his motives. The show has been slow at the start, but has picked itself up a bit now. I'm still wondering where all this is going so I'm definitely gonna keep watching.

But until now the stakes just haven't felt that high to me, which is why some of the tension hasn't struck me yet. Albert is also not that great of a MC, so I hope he'll improve soon.
Apr 6, 2019 9:21 AM

Dec 2015
Samu-tan said:
The Count is scheming something (probably a revenge plot?)

Ahah, Le Comte de Monte Cristo is the most worldwide known revenge tale. ^^" (multiple adaptations in any forms, even a US TV soap called Revenge aped it in several ways years ago)

Samu-tan said:
Until now the stakes just haven't felt that high to me, which is why some of the tension hasn't struck me yet.

The stakes are never really high since this fiction tells the perfectly planned personnal revenge. It mostly stays at the individual scale.

Samu-tan said:
Albert is also not that great of a MC, so I hope he'll improve soon.

He's the type of "hero" I would call a point-of-view hero. This may have been done in order to have the audience see the Count as mysterious, instead of "taking part" in his plotting.
If by improvement, you mean that he'll change, well "playing a role" in the Count's conspiracy will help him to change, I guess.

Have a good time !

April 7, 2019
@Samu-tan Oh, yes, the young Albert is in the novel, the second half to be precise (once the Count sets his plan into motion). As you have seen, he's the "key" to the high parisian society for the Count (who's the protagonist and main "p.o.v" of the book) and, of course, a collateral victim thanks to his ties to the Count's preys.
The anime kind of amplifies his importance by showing us so many things filtered by his views.

(anecdote: the french novel is originally a successful serial novel, I can't imagine how impatient the readers back then must have felt between each issue, since nowadays we simply read them as a collected book)
Rei_IIIApr 7, 2019 6:32 AM
Apr 7, 2019 4:44 AM

Aug 2009
Rei366 said:
He's the type of "hero" I would call a point-of-view hero. This may have been done in order to have the audience see the Count as mysterious, instead of "taking part" in his plotting.
If by improvement, you mean that he'll change, well "playing a role" in the Count's conspiracy will help him to change, I guess.

Have a good time !

Was he actually in the novel, or did they add him in the anime so we can experience it from a different POV?
And thank you, I'm definitely enjoying the show. There's not enough thriller anime out there (it's by far my favorite genre in every medium) , so it's great to find one which manages to properly set up the tension. :)
Apr 9, 2019 5:54 AM

Dec 2015
@Samu-tan Unsure if you got my answer*

(to delete)
May 31, 2020 9:27 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
Bruh, that ending. The count seems to be slowly exposing everyone’s buried secrets. I’m also assuming they but the baby in the chest smh. I wonder who that new guy really is and why he hitting on Eugene.
Sep 19, 2020 3:19 PM

May 2016
What a legend he reveals what is under the table with that evil smile.
May 6, 2021 8:43 AM

Sep 2017
This is an anime soap-opera at this point...a bad soap-opera.
Sep 22, 2021 9:24 AM

Aug 2020
Dude is finally toying with all of them.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Mar 30, 2022 5:23 AM

May 2021
And the mystery deepens. That room was where they had a baby which I am guessing is that new guy introduced by the Count.
Also, screw you Heloise. I thought you would try killing your husband but I see you trying to poison Valentine. Stay away!!

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

172 by KrispyKlub »»
Apr 5, 5:45 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.