MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Higashi no Eden Episode 8 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Higashi no Eden »» Higashi no Eden Episode 8 Discussion

Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
View Poll Results: Higashi no Eden Episode 8 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

97 45.97%
4 out of 5: Liked it

79 37.44%
3 out of 5: It was OK

28 13.27%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

4 1.90%
1 out of 5: Hated it

3 1.42%
Voters: 211

05-30-09, 9:52 PM

i think this was probably the best episode so far by comparison, but i wish this show weren't so obsessed with Johnnies. seriously, stop it!

if the next episode is made of utter fail though, i might drop it, i've been contemplating it or a while, if i were marathoning it, i probably would've dropped it long ago, but at one episode per week, it's a nice distraction while i wait for the new Basquash! to come out.

05-30-09, 11:52 PM

I really hate Ohsuji. I wish got his Jonny chopped off. I really like Akira, i dont things to go badly for him. >:[

05-31-09, 12:51 AM

nice progression, too bad it stopped just as things were getting started, insterested in seeing where this will go

05-31-09, 4:08 AM

Saki lied and said there was no one at the hotel when she got there. Very interesting.

05-31-09, 6:55 AM

Yutaka "Panties" Itazu

Hiyama, Nobuyuki

Has anyone noticed this seiyuu thing? :D

05-31-09, 7:00 AM

Another Wtf is happening? episode.

05-31-09, 9:30 AM

Eh, I love the show's concept and the world of the selacao. But i'm losing interest in the story they're telling and the characters they're concentrating on. I'd much rather have it be more about the selacao and Akira. I'm uninterested in the EotE project and Saki and her friends etc

05-31-09, 10:22 AM

Bahasuke said:
Yutaka "Panties" Itazu

Hiyama, Nobuyuki

Has anyone noticed this seiyuu thing? :D

o lolz nice spot didnt see that coming
does any one else know other instances like this one? =D

05-31-09, 12:26 PM

looks like ohsugi is dead set on finding out who takizawa really is, and just wants to get rid of him, that all there is to it
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures

05-31-09, 3:40 PM

I don't really see how people think this was a slow episode. This was "quintessential" EoE where they manage to be pretty contained within location while spewing out lots of plot development from dialogue and characters. Just that first scene with Akira on the couch efficiently squared away all of the questions with Ohsugi in a competent manner. Not to mention the fluid introduction of Pantsu and a little progression on finding out who Akira is by using Ohsugi.

So I am a little bit worried about what's going to happen in the next 3 episodes and movie, but from a storytelling perspective, they've done a really, really good job, and the only thing that should be particularly worrisome is the intrusion of fantastical elements.

05-31-09, 3:48 PM

Perhaps the 11 episodes is some sort of "question arc", like it builds up the story, and the movie will conclude everything? if the movie is going to be 1.5 hours, then thats about 4 episodes so it could be done.

05-31-09, 7:01 PM

So Ohsugi didn't get kidnapped (too bad), and Shiratori isn't that bad after all.

05-31-09, 7:26 PM

How can this series possibly end after only 13 episodes????????????? IMPOSSIBLE I say!

Still loved this episode even though i have no idea whats going on.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America

05-31-09, 9:00 PM

I'm bracing for hardcore plot development on next episode, like on ep 6.

Looking forward to it.

05-31-09, 9:42 PM
Anime Moderator
not one of the better episode; a lot of talking but it was still good.

05-31-09, 9:50 PM

noteDhero said:
I don't really see how people think this was a slow episode.

1.) This was the 'slowest' and most uneventful episode of the series thus far (based off my memory... since I don't have the episodes in front of me right now). There is no argument for episode 1, 6, or 7 being slower than this one. Episodes 3 and 4 cycled through the life and death of 1 selecao each and explained the game. Episode 5 introduced a new Selecao, reintroduced I, and ended on a significant note. Episode 2 did a lot for establishing Akira and Saki as characters and as a relationship.

I think it's quite easy to see why people would call this episode slow. Pacing is largely dependent on action or information and this episode didn't really deliver in either. We already knew about Akira's different identities (episode 1). They explained what happened to Ohsugi (though, if you were paying attention, you could've already came to the same rough conclusion). They introduced Pantsu but it was just a rough introduction and they didn't really work him into the overall picture yet. They did a bit of work in establishing Ohsugi's rivalry with Akira... but again, the previous events already set the table. This episode was really just stating the obvious.

2.) Context. We're approaching the end of the series and since episode 5, the events of the story have been progressing with increasing momentum. Episode 8 was a drop off and whenever you have such a change-up, it sticks out like a sore thumb. At this point, we were expecting a lot with only a handful of episodes left and a lot of ground to cover and we didn't really get something on par with the expectations created by the mounting intensity of episodes 5, 6, and 7. I think most of us including you are developing a sense of urgency that this episode really didn't share.

So I am a little bit worried about what's going to happen in the next 3 episodes and movie, but from a storytelling perspective, they've done a really, really good job, and the only thing that should be particularly worrisome is the intrusion of fantastical elements.

Well, we kind of had this argument before but I disagree here. I think they've been inconsistent in their pacing and in their story-telling ability. I thought they did a wonderful job of establishing certain things but a pretty crappy job in detailing other aspects of the anime. The subtlety of certain things in this anime has really made me happy since even some of the most complex animes are horribly blunt but things have also seemed very contrived at times.
Modified by Brian333, 05-31-09, 9:56 PM

--- Currently Under Construction ---

05-31-09, 10:47 PM

Damn Johnnies. Lol.

But overall, quite a good episode, though I liked 6 and the previous one bit better.

05-31-09, 10:55 PM

this episode shocked me... star trek was played in the middle of the episode,,,, gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*winks

05-31-09, 10:56 PM

chie_oink said:
this episode shocked me... star trek was played in the middle of the episode,,,, gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*winks

Lol. ^^ Nice.

05-31-09, 10:58 PM

"johnny hunter" episode is the wackiest episode!!!! hahaha lol

Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices