Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 30, 2009 9:47 AM
May 2009
Wasabi said:
So Pantsu ends up being with one those elite programmer/hackers who know pretty much anything that goes on in the world. Ohsugi is totally hot on Akira's ass now that Akira seems to have holding on to numerous identities not to mention he saw what was at the mall.

It was already established in the first episode that he has numerous identities, so I'm not really surprised. It was bound to come out again sometime.
May 30, 2009 10:06 AM
Dec 2008
audiodoll said:
interesting. the series moves a bit too quickly for me, but that's alright i guess.

whose phone did he have? was that IV's, or did he actually find it in his mall? i don't remember anything about him finding a second phone.

That was IV's phone. (It was the same color at least.)
May 30, 2009 10:21 AM

Mar 2009
I agree with most of what's been said already, especially with Ohsugi. But he does make for an interesting foil for Akira.

With only three episodes left, I'm going to hold my thoughts for the moment. At this point it seems as if the series will have to be concluded in the form of that movie. I doubt Production I.G. is the master of pacing, i.e. there's no way these last few episodes will have a tidy conclusion that doesn't include a cliff hanger.
May 30, 2009 10:44 AM
Feb 2008
audiodoll said:
Ahohime said:
Ohsugi annoys the crap out of me for no real reason.
The Johnny-hunter should've taken his Johnny. ):
probably because he's a whiny nice guy loser who feels like he's entitled to saki

i mean, that's why i dislike him

I totally agree on that ,he is really annoying for some reason >.>
May 30, 2009 1:01 PM

Jul 2008
hmm for some reason i gots a feeling Ohsugi will get things mixed up and
make Akira look bad XD

and the Pantsu guy looks quite like a mastermind fit for Akira's true intentions
dam 3 more episodes and it deosnt seem like this anime will end anytime.

Hopefully the movie would answer any questions we have when the series is finished
May 30, 2009 3:10 PM

May 2007
Nothing really happened in this episode though. :\ I hope they know what they're doing? I was hoping Akira would meet Mr. Outside by the end of this series but with the pace of how things going I can'y see how it's possible...

Anyway, Ohsugi is a freaky stalker. But it's good since we're going to find stuff about Akira from him, hehe. Also, I'm confused, which phone are they trying to fix? Is it Akira's or Shiratori's? :x

May 30, 2009 3:28 PM
Dec 2007
Very exciting episode, even for a transition one. Huge developments all around even if we don't get to see them all for now.Too bas there are only 3 episodes and a movie left though...

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 30, 2009 6:14 PM

Apr 2007
Is that some hikikomori with the manliest voice ever?
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
May 30, 2009 7:00 PM

Nov 2006
Desirio said:
I think XI is not gone for good: after all, she tries to call Takizawa at the very beginning of the episode.
i thought that was the phone beeping because Kuroha made a charge.

NoyaChan said:
Also, I'm confused, which phone are they trying to fix? Is it Akira's or Shiratori's? :x
chicharros said:
audiodoll said:
interesting. the series moves a bit too quickly for me, but that's alright i guess.

whose phone did he have? was that IV's, or did he actually find it in his mall? i don't remember anything about him finding a second phone.

That was IV's phone. (It was the same color at least.)
:D
May 30, 2009 9:01 PM

Jul 2008
It was okay. Not much really happened. Ohsugi is such a prissy person. I don.t like him. I'm for his Johnny being taken :)
I'm curious to find out what is on the phone.
Maybe a shocking plot twist?
Hahaa Pantsu was interesting
May 30, 2009 9:52 PM

Mar 2009
i think this was probably the best episode so far by comparison, but i wish this show weren't so obsessed with Johnnies. seriously, stop it!

if the next episode is made of utter fail though, i might drop it, i've been contemplating it or a while, if i were marathoning it, i probably would've dropped it long ago, but at one episode per week, it's a nice distraction while i wait for the new Basquash! to come out.
May 30, 2009 11:52 PM

Apr 2009
I really hate Ohsuji. I wish got his Jonny chopped off. I really like Akira, i dont things to go badly for him. >:[
May 31, 2009 12:51 AM

Oct 2007
nice progression, too bad it stopped just as things were getting started, insterested in seeing where this will go
May 31, 2009 4:08 AM

May 2008
Saki lied and said there was no one at the hotel when she got there. Very interesting.
May 31, 2009 6:55 AM

Mar 2008
Yutaka "Panties" Itazu

Hiyama, Nobuyuki

Has anyone noticed this seiyuu thing? :D
May 31, 2009 7:00 AM
Jun 2008
Another Wtf is happening? episode.
May 31, 2009 10:22 AM

Jul 2008
Bahasuke said:
Yutaka "Panties" Itazu

Hiyama, Nobuyuki

Has anyone noticed this seiyuu thing? :D

o lolz nice spot didnt see that coming
does any one else know other instances like this one? =D
May 31, 2009 12:26 PM

Jul 2008
looks like ohsugi is dead set on finding out who takizawa really is, and just wants to get rid of him, that all there is to it
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 31, 2009 3:40 PM

Aug 2008
I don't really see how people think this was a slow episode. This was "quintessential" EoE where they manage to be pretty contained within location while spewing out lots of plot development from dialogue and characters. Just that first scene with Akira on the couch efficiently squared away all of the questions with Ohsugi in a competent manner. Not to mention the fluid introduction of Pantsu and a little progression on finding out who Akira is by using Ohsugi.

So I am a little bit worried about what's going to happen in the next 3 episodes and movie, but from a storytelling perspective, they've done a really, really good job, and the only thing that should be particularly worrisome is the intrusion of fantastical elements.
May 31, 2009 3:48 PM

Dec 2007
Perhaps the 11 episodes is some sort of "question arc", like it builds up the story, and the movie will conclude everything? if the movie is going to be 1.5 hours, then thats about 4 episodes so it could be done.
May 31, 2009 7:01 PM

Feb 2009
So Ohsugi didn't get kidnapped (too bad), and Shiratori isn't that bad after all.
May 31, 2009 7:26 PM

Aug 2008
How can this series possibly end after only 13 episodes????????????? IMPOSSIBLE I say!

Still loved this episode even though i have no idea whats going on.
Romance comedy anime - Japan's gift to America
May 31, 2009 9:00 PM

Jun 2008
I'm bracing for hardcore plot development on next episode, like on ep 6.

Looking forward to it.
May 31, 2009 9:42 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
not one of the better episode; a lot of talking but it was still good.
p r o f i l e 👀
May 31, 2009 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
noteDhero said:
I don't really see how people think this was a slow episode.

1.) This was the 'slowest' and most uneventful episode of the series thus far (based off my memory... since I don't have the episodes in front of me right now). There is no argument for episode 1, 6, or 7 being slower than this one. Episodes 3 and 4 cycled through the life and death of 1 selecao each and explained the game. Episode 5 introduced a new Selecao, reintroduced I, and ended on a significant note. Episode 2 did a lot for establishing Akira and Saki as characters and as a relationship.

I think it's quite easy to see why people would call this episode slow. Pacing is largely dependent on action or information and this episode didn't really deliver in either. We already knew about Akira's different identities (episode 1). They explained what happened to Ohsugi (though, if you were paying attention, you could've already came to the same rough conclusion). They introduced Pantsu but it was just a rough introduction and they didn't really work him into the overall picture yet. They did a bit of work in establishing Ohsugi's rivalry with Akira... but again, the previous events already set the table. This episode was really just stating the obvious.

2.) Context. We're approaching the end of the series and since episode 5, the events of the story have been progressing with increasing momentum. Episode 8 was a drop off and whenever you have such a change-up, it sticks out like a sore thumb. At this point, we were expecting a lot with only a handful of episodes left and a lot of ground to cover and we didn't really get something on par with the expectations created by the mounting intensity of episodes 5, 6, and 7. I think most of us including you are developing a sense of urgency that this episode really didn't share.

So I am a little bit worried about what's going to happen in the next 3 episodes and movie, but from a storytelling perspective, they've done a really, really good job, and the only thing that should be particularly worrisome is the intrusion of fantastical elements.

Well, we kind of had this argument before but I disagree here. I think they've been inconsistent in their pacing and in their story-telling ability. I thought they did a wonderful job of establishing certain things but a pretty crappy job in detailing other aspects of the anime. The subtlety of certain things in this anime has really made me happy since even some of the most complex animes are horribly blunt but things have also seemed very contrived at times.
removed-userMay 31, 2009 9:56 PM
May 31, 2009 10:47 PM

May 2009
Damn Johnnies. Lol.

But overall, quite a good episode, though I liked 6 and the previous one bit better.
May 31, 2009 10:55 PM

Mar 2009
this episode shocked me... star trek was played in the middle of the episode,,,, gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*winks
May 31, 2009 10:56 PM

May 2009
chie_oink said:
this episode shocked me... star trek was played in the middle of the episode,,,, gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*winks

Lol. ^^ Nice.
May 31, 2009 10:58 PM

Mar 2009
"johnny hunter" episode is the wackiest episode!!!! hahaha lol
Jun 1, 2009 2:09 AM

May 2007
Manifest said:

Lol. I wonder what he meant by that.

Also at the start of the episode 'johnny hunter' was calling takizawa, did he miss the call or what ? I wonder how they are gonna end this with so few little episodes left and a movie ofc. Hope they don't rush it and is actually well planned.
Jun 1, 2009 2:23 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
mcjazzman32 said:
How can this series possibly end after only 13 episodes????????????? IMPOSSIBLE I say!

11 episodes you mean.

But we still got the movie.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 1, 2009 11:04 AM
Aug 2008
I don't want this series to end soon T_______T
Jun 1, 2009 4:25 PM

Jan 2009
ok episode. And what's up with Star Trek trailer? The plot still isn't perfectly clear to me, I hope next episodes sum something up.
Jun 1, 2009 4:40 PM

May 2009
chie_oink said:
"johnny hunter" episode is the wackiest episode!!!! hahaha lol

Yeah, this show and its natural affiliation with johnnies is very WTF indeed.
Jun 2, 2009 1:15 AM

Dec 2008
May the real Ohsugi please die.
he's a pain in the ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2009 2:32 AM

Aug 2008
Fabienne said:
May the real Ohsugi please die.
he's a pain in the ...

for real, I hope he either changes or... disappear!

Jun 2, 2009 10:20 PM

Apr 2009
Is there going to be a second season or is this it?
Jun 2, 2009 11:04 PM
Dec 2008
I wonder how they'll wrap up the story in only 3 remaining episodes.
Jun 3, 2009 5:51 AM

Jan 2009
noteDhero said:
I don't really see how people think this was a slow episode. This was "quintessential" EoE where they manage to be pretty contained within location while spewing out lots of plot development from dialogue and characters. Just that first scene with Akira on the couch efficiently squared away all of the questions with Ohsugi in a competent manner. Not to mention the fluid introduction of Pantsu and a little progression on finding out who Akira is by using Ohsugi.

Word.
Jun 3, 2009 6:14 AM

Apr 2009
I think there's nothing to fear about fantastical elements: the winged XI was just a joke played by the authors on us, and so far the crazy feel of the series is coming from the absolute power Juiz seems to hold only.

Other than the "Eden of the East" system and "money-->done" (which is actually a very solid rule of our contemporary world), it looks all very realistic to me.
Jun 3, 2009 6:31 AM

Aug 2008
Welll, I don't mind them either, but some people certainly have a problem with it. They were fine when it was relegated to the Johnnys that were hounding Akira in a delusion, but they were angry when it was basically the same kind of thing (with a better explanation) with Saki.

@Brian333
I agree with you for the most part, but I still think that overall, this episode kept the on the ground running when it could have stayed stagnant with harping on what happened to Ohusugi and talking about (not introducing) Pantsu. Even though the set up of Ohusugi's rivalry with Akira had begun before he got kidnapped, this is the first time that Ohsugi is taking action "against" Akira, leading to the possibility that we get to know who Akira is (since Akira himself seems to not really care)

I agree about the sense of urgency, but at the same time, I understand that as a story, everything can't build up from one thing to the next. Good storytelling allows for denoument and proper pacing, which, while we as viewers get impatient with, keeps everything in the show from becoming a total mess of fanservice.
Jun 3, 2009 6:36 AM

Apr 2009
shinigamiallie said:
Is there going to be a second season or is this it?

As of now, nope. But there will be a movie.
&sclick
Jun 3, 2009 6:42 AM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
... when it was basically the same kind of thing (with a better explanation) with Saki.

I can't seem to remember what you are talking about... ^^"
Is it about the illusion?
Jun 3, 2009 9:09 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah. When Akira went off the side of the highway and those creepy white Johnnies were all over him. In presentation, the execution was very similar, and with Shiratori we at least got the footnote on the phone.

With Akira's little trip, it was completely out of nowhere. Did he bump his head? Was it a random thought? Was he on drugs? I have no clue, but most everyone liked it and found it funny.

I guess because there was no humor in the wings people are more "WTF this is bad," but honestly, those Johnnys are much more WTF since there was no explanation at all.
Jun 3, 2009 11:47 AM

Apr 2009
noteDhero said:
Yeah. When Akira went off the side of the highway and those creepy white Johnnies were all over him. In presentation, the execution was very similar, and with Shiratori we at least got the footnote on the phone.

With Akira's little trip, it was completely out of nowhere. Did he bump his head? Was it a random thought? Was he on drugs? I have no clue, but most everyone liked it and found it funny.

I guess because there was no humor in the wings people are more "WTF this is bad," but honestly, those Johnnys are much more WTF since there was no explanation at all.

I see your point, and I must agree with it. I have a little theory about those Johnnies (I completely forgot he called them that way lol) concerning NEETs and Akira's link with them, but it's too faint right now.

I hope we see more puppet Johnnies next ep. :P
Jun 3, 2009 4:22 PM

Oct 2008
Jason Bourne?

Jun 3, 2009 10:17 PM

Apr 2008
I still greatly enjoy this series. Still the best this season in my opinion but like many here I'm getting worried on how they will wrap this up. Granted there is three episodes and a movie due to conclude it but right now with all the stuff that's going on that remains unresolved and the fact they keep adding onto it, it's gonna take some good writers to work their way out of this "hole" they seem to be digging.

I don't think the story is bad at all so don't get the wrong idea but I do think with the time that is left that they seem to want to tell this story in, it seems rather hard that they will be able to do it in a manner that will truly do the series justice and not either be so watered down or rushed or nonsensical or everything that can go wrong with an ending. This is one of the few times I will stay optimistic about how something might wrap up instead of fearing the worse but we'll just have to wait and see.

A thing I will say is that like Kira mentioned with all the mixing up, I'm starting to think some of these incidences like the thing with the 20,000 NEETS might be either a misleading over blowing of what happened or something of the like because with little explanation of it and with a lot of people unsure about the events, it makes sense that some of these events got either somewhat distorted on what either really happened or combined with other news stories like the Johnny Hunter and shootings. I think because of they might be throwing some false hints out there to take you down the wrong path to later unveil everything so they have you thinking one way but do something else. Might be an odd guess on my part but just a thought
Jun 4, 2009 9:42 AM

Dec 2007
Kira01 said:
Jason Bourne?

I disagree... for one thing, only two Selecão have been killed, 4 and 5 (Kondou and Hiura) up to now, the dead ones' symbols on the Selecão phones are not illuminated anymore. So there weren't Selecão going around just gunning down others, and Takizawa can't be the Supporter, because he did not kill either of them, not even the one where the killer was not identifiable.

For another, the (supposed) NEET recognizing Takizawa near the shopping mall indicates that Takizawa actually helped those people by forcibly relocating them to Dubai. I don't agree with the methods, but I am of the opinion that the writers intended to show that he didn't do bad by that, so he isn't as such a dangerous person, but a person who uses unconventional means to achieve a goal.

Edit: Another thing are the missiles. They reportedly did not cause casualties until No. 11 hit, and I have an inkling that it was not Takizawa who ordered that one (could be wrong on this). While again, I do not agree with the method, it was shown in the anime that some, especially young people, considered the missile hits an almost-good-thing (regardless of property damage, apparently). Another one for the 'means well, uses excessive means' characteristic I surmise to have been present in the Takizawa before the memory erasure.
toshiroJun 4, 2009 10:02 AM
Jun 4, 2009 5:39 PM

Aug 2008
Micchon gets even better and better.
Jun 5, 2009 10:04 AM

Apr 2009
Awesome. I kinda like this Pantsu guy.
Also Micchon is absolutely adorable.

Nice to know that everyone's safe after last episode but I'm now quite confused as to what was real and was wasn't from there.
Oooh Miss Alicia
It's our own secret garden
Lesbians at war
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Plate - Apr 9, 2009

404 by prozyne »»
Apr 9, 2023 1:35 AM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.