Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 15, 2012 11:39 AM
Dec 2011
JuicyBuddha said:
The "sci fi" aspects of this episode were retarded and insulting to my intelligence. First of all, there's no way a machine can "evolve" because evolution is only possible for living things. D

machines can be programmed to 'evolve'. E.g. making a simulation of walking program with all the muscles, wieght, balance,(etc) would take months of hard, diligent trial-and-error working. Yet, if you program the machine to 'try' on its own and only choose 'progeny' that move further forward than the previous, eventually (in a few seconds, even.) you will get a fully-working, perfect representation of a human walking. all done by the machine itself. Scary.
Just remember kids; ALL living things, in the end, are just complex machines designed by 'trial and error' where the loser dies.
Dec 9, 2012 1:27 PM

May 2012
Nice episode and quite an interesting concept in this one, the angel here was quite impressive I do still wonder how it managed to infiltrate the base so easily! Great ending though full of tension!
Jan 9, 2013 9:51 PM

Apr 2012
Too much nanobot Angel thing, not enough naked Asuka.

Actually, I still enjoyed this episode even if the hacking aspect and all the technobabble was kind of ridiculous.
Jan 20, 2013 4:47 PM

Nov 2012
rewatching it again, just can't get tired of this.
Feb 25, 2013 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
Boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring
Mar 15, 2013 3:11 PM
Apr 2012
Sabinlerose said:

I liked that the trio of main protagonists spent the entire episode naked.

Really? What did you like about it so much then? To be honest there no justification for that at all and we didn't get to see anything either so i thought it was completely pointless.
And to the people that were complaining that this episode was predictable: Wasn't nearly every episode predictable? I for one am happy that this time they used a different formula than the usual angel attack, eva attack, angel defeat.
I do agree that a lot of things didn't really make sense but that didn't bother me too much. I dont understand how they defeated the angel though...
Phaetons_Folly said:

That is actually a common experience for life during major cataclysmic events. If a species evolves too well to an environment, it becomes more difficult to adapt to a new environment. Large Dinosaurs were the apex of their ecosystem, but were more vulnerable because of it. They couldn’t adapt when the world changed and ended up become an evolutionary dead end. I’m sure that is what they did to the angle.

I am not really informed about this matter but lets assume that what you say about the dinosaurs is correct. In short the dinosaurs were so far evolved that when the environment changed they could no longer adapt (evolve) well enough and died. Seems logical, however, in the anime the environment did not change so the angel shouldn't have died. I guess this is the only thing that really bothers me as it just makes the writer look extremely lazy or unimaginative for killing the angel in such a manner.
Morani90Mar 15, 2013 3:22 PM
Mar 18, 2013 6:38 PM

Jan 2013
I thought the brain in the computer was epic!! those plugs/needles stabbing into it Dx

the ending song is great too, and ofc I still love the OP.

tried to be more sci-fi this ep. thought it was a cool take.
I dont understand why everyone's saying "nudity," I mean, yeah they were naked, but you technically didnt even get to see Asuka's boobs. ....Not the good parts, anyway.
Apr 6, 2013 1:57 PM

Jun 2009
It's hilarious how worked up people get over a bit of nudity. This episode was a lot better than I remember it being, but it's still probably my least favorite so far. Still, it's cool to see some of the other adults like Ritsuko get some attention.

"My mother was a woman to the end, how like her." One thing I've noticed during this re-watch is that this is much better planned out than I originally thought.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 29, 2013 7:18 AM
Jul 2018

Is that a brain inside Casper?
Gosh. Computers are really super enemies and hard to deal with.
May 3, 2013 2:07 PM

Feb 2012
Interesting and complex episode.

Thoughts from Episode 13

WOW that Maya girl is really good at computers I am sure she can become like Ritsuko maybe in future.

Haha Shjinji Asuka and Rei in that area with no clothes. Asuka sure was mad :DD I wonder how that Angel evolved in that area and got inside NERV's Headquaters. That sure was fast getting for supercomputers what could been happen if Angels were succeed taking control of all 3 supercomputers. And what they really wanted for those supercomputers. Wait a minute where did Kaiji go we saw him but only little time.

It was nice to see that Ritsuko got own development in this episode. I wonder what kind of person her mother was. Also I thought there was only one "Magi" but it revealed other two also their names "Melchior", "Balthasar" "Casper" and Ritsuko mother's brains are in Casper. So these super computers reminds her mother in personallity or something like that and as in mother, scientist and woman.

And Ritsuko's promise was to protect Magis and her mother research I guess...

Cool episode. Also showed that Ikari want's to world be save no matter what it cost. Also Ritsuko's mother hated obviously Ikari.

Best parts: countdown with Magi computers. All 3 EVA pilots in difficult situation LOL. And finally Ritsuko's awesome coding experiences.
MixxuMay 3, 2013 2:11 PM
Jun 27, 2013 10:29 PM

Dec 2012
The first episode that I felt was kinda boring compared to the rest. It does show us a little bit of Ritsuko's character, which is why I gave it a 3 instead of a 2.
Jul 3, 2013 8:02 PM

Nov 2011
I'm sure the nudity wasn't necessary; the writer just included it to make the show more awkward than it needs to be yet again. Eh.

I had trouble following, but are the programs for each of the evangelions based on some aspect of a human personality? If so, that explains why they Shinji's is so mother-like. =_=

I'm not quite sure I fully understand the statement about evolution ending in death. I'll think about it, though. =_=
Aug 1, 2013 1:15 PM

Jul 2013
I quite liked it, it was interesting enough. It was certainly different.
Aug 21, 2013 7:23 AM

Mar 2013
JuicyBuddha said:
The "sci fi" aspects of this episode were retarded and insulting to my intelligence. First of all, there's no way a machine can "evolve" because evolution is only possible for living things. When is the last time your car or computer evolved? It's only possible for a machine to adapt if a living being is controlling it and making repairs. Second, the idea of stopping it by forcing it to evolve, therefore triggering it to self-destruct, made 0 sense from any perspective and was pure deus ex machina. And, as Veethorn said, the ending was predictable. Didn't feel any tension in this episode.

I did like the idea of the angel as a self-aware, rapidly evolving micro organism though. Oh yeah, and Asuka naked. XD

Who told you the angels are just machines ?
Also the idea was to program Casper to self destruct on its own, so when the angel takes those commands reverse them to not die..
Pretty good concept if you ask me.
Sep 9, 2013 6:15 AM

Sep 2011
kungfutornado said:
Was the nudity neccessary? It seemed totally random, just another reason to see boobs..

Its not like we were actually able to see anything, but I agree, it was pretty random.
Sep 21, 2013 8:35 AM
Oct 2011
I agree that the insight into the eva's and magi's creation as well as Ritsuko's character were the highlights of the episode. Also I found it interesting that the part of Ritsuko's mom that she hated the most was the part of the Magi that winded up saving them all in the end.
Oct 11, 2013 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
kungfutornado said:
Was the nudity neccessary? It seemed totally random, just another reason to see boobs..

LOL Exactly my thoughts XD I'm not complaining though lol
This was a pretty intense (and a bit confusing, even) episode. A lot of character development went on, which is always a good thing.
Oct 31, 2013 9:17 PM

Oct 2013
LOL Asuka keeps complaining about being naked... And That Angel even tho its small, it still has an AT Field.
Dec 22, 2013 5:17 PM

Aug 2007
I found the origins of the Magi to be a very interesting concept and how they are said to be based on Ritsuko's mother as a "scientist, mother and woman," making each one slightly different.

Dec 25, 2013 10:02 PM

Jan 2013
It was nice being able to see someone fight angels other than the Evas. I too enjoyed the concept of the Magi. So I'm guessing that brain was literally Ritsuko's mother's huh. Weird stuff! Poor kids are stranded naked ahaha
Dec 29, 2013 11:22 AM
Jul 2013
Killerthug said:
JuicyBuddha said:
The "sci fi" aspects of this episode were retarded and insulting to my intelligence. First of all, there's no way a machine can "evolve" because evolution is only possible for living things. D

machines can be programmed to 'evolve'. E.g. making a simulation of walking program with all the muscles, wieght, balance,(etc) would take months of hard, diligent trial-and-error working. Yet, if you program the machine to 'try' on its own and only choose 'progeny' that move further forward than the previous, eventually (in a few seconds, even.) you will get a fully-working, perfect representation of a human walking. all done by the machine itself. Scary.
Just remember kids; ALL living things, in the end, are just complex machines designed by 'trial and error' where the loser dies.
This. So much this.

I liked the change from the Angels as big machines/creatures to microorganisms/nanobots.

Also my opinion on the evolution leads to death thing: Evolution means change. Their plan was to force it's evolution, so when it hacks all three computers, the only other way to change, is to self-destruct.

PS: Nudism was unnecessary.
Jan 4, 2014 1:18 AM

Jul 2013
Very decent episode,some background story about Ritsuka amd I very like it...
This episode shows us it can (if want) tell a story without adding some giant robot combat..It's very promising,hope it gets better.
Feb 18, 2014 7:16 AM

Oct 2013
kungfutornado said:
I liked the rest of the episode though, the part with the brain was cool

yeah a bit of a fanservice, though not much.

weird ep
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2014 8:00 AM

Aug 2013
Casper? Isn't it supposed to be Gaspar? You know like Melchior, Balthasar and Gaspar - Magi aka Three Wise Men?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 7, 2014 3:39 PM

Dec 2013
Anybody notice it seems to be different people or at least different versions of "Fly me to the moon" at times? They all sound like a Japanese woman singing in English but some episodes (like this one) seem different from the usual.

Halfway point!
DaydreamHeroMar 7, 2014 3:48 PM
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 7, 2014 6:18 PM

Mar 2014
i've noticed that too, it's a bit weird to me but i think it might have something to do with how they were put into the episode. i don't know, just a thought, since the series was quite a while ago.
if you're talking about the song in general i think its originally frank sinatra's?
"short and human alien that doesn't age badass cunt two guns explosions"
Mar 8, 2014 2:34 AM

Dec 2013
/\ yep Sinatra sang this. I'm not sure if he's the original singer but he sang it. Later on some of them are really different! but still the same song. Its a nice touch.
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 19, 2014 2:01 PM

Dec 2012
Enjoyed the break from the usual Angels to see one that launches information warfare. Asuka's exaggerated reactions always crack me up. Still enjoying this series, but kinda wish they'd switch it up from the episodic angel battles.
May 16, 2014 10:50 PM

Jun 2013
This episode was really something, even though there wasn't much action going on. Haha I was laughing at Asuka complaining about being naked, that was hilarious!
Jun 7, 2014 7:14 AM

Aug 2013
Battle of the super computers this episode.
My Candies:
Jun 21, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing episode. I liked how they talked about her mother and Magi connection. Her mother's side as a woman held out till the last second, as Casper was the last program left, haha.

Also "Expedite its evolution? The end of evolution is self-destruction. Death itself." (Gendou) Eva continuously doesn't stop to amaze me with its philosophy.
TapuTapuuJun 21, 2014 8:34 AM
Jun 25, 2014 1:45 PM

Aug 2013
Ahh I love Ritsuko so Im really really glad we got a whole character development episode just for her. Warm feelings <3

Anyway while the angel of the week formula is getting a little tiresome, I do appreciate how the first order of defense isn't always the EVA's. It proves humanity isn't totally useless in the fight. I like episodes like these because they flesh out supporting and minor characters and add more depth to the story.

"And next time service, service, service"......please no. ;)
Jul 27, 2014 12:43 PM

Jul 2014
From what I gather the Angels are constantly evolving in order to destroy society. The Angel organic computer was a well suited example because it combined organic life with technology. Self correcting evolution. Definitely a sci-fi heavy episode
Dec 3, 2014 11:55 PM

Sep 2014
I always thought this Angel was the most terrifying. Microscopic super hacker. No way Evas could have defeated it. You go girl, Ritsuko.
Dec 8, 2014 6:00 PM

Nov 2013
Probably the only boring episode I've encountered so far, the pilots were seemingly only involved for fan service lol.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 25, 2014 10:57 PM

Apr 2014
I liked this ep quite a bit :> It's interesting to see how angels can come in so many forms. This one was pretty scary. It's good to see that they can be defeated without the use of evas in some situations.

The role of women is really intriguing in NGE. Sure, Misato and Ritsuko may be hotties to lure in some male viewers, but they're quite credible and demonstrate leadership effectively. Again in this episode, another woman plays an important role as Magi.
Good job, NGE. Good job.
Jan 2, 2015 4:12 AM

Jan 2013
Ritsuko is the best!
Feb 2, 2015 11:39 PM
Oct 2014
this episode was a lot more interesting than the others considering angel attacks. i liked the idea of the angel as an "organic computer" being able to evolve and hack NERV. Also liked the character development on Ritsuko. the fanservice in this episode was a little bit unnecessary though.
Feb 13, 2015 4:40 PM
Dec 2013
pickboy87 said:
This is the only episode so far that I haven&#039;t at least somewhat liked. It was very formulaic and predictable.

I&#039;m starting to get bored with angels attacking every episode. I need some background information on why they are attacking and where they are coming from. Otherwise, I just feel like they&#039;re there just to cause a tension in the show.

agree the angel of the episode stuff is getting boring
Feb 17, 2015 12:29 AM

Oct 2013
xchee said:
Casper? Isn't it supposed to be Gaspar? You know like Melchior, Balthasar and Gaspar - Magi aka Three Wise Men?

Correct. What's the point of shoving Christian symbolism into your series if the dubbers aren't even going to translate it right? HOW, for that matter, could they not translate it right? smh...

So basically this Angel was somehow a computer virus? That's... I dunno, does that even make sense? It's lending weight to my idea that the Angels are not just aliens.

In any case, this episode was a nice change of pace; the "action" and structure were fresh. I definitely agree the "angel of the episode" stuff is getting old, but I'm getting the idea the Angel attacks only exist as a catalyst for character development. The series wants an excuse to develop its characters and its using high tension scenarios to create an environment in which the characters are forced to explore their histories or develop their personalities. The execution of this could be done more professionally, though.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 29, 2015 4:46 AM
Nov 2014
Cool episode overall, that virus angel was fucking OP though. Misato is damn awesome as always, that countdown part was cliche but I liked it.

4/5
May 10, 2015 4:56 PM

Aug 2014
Meh episode. Liked the idea of a hacker angel tho.
May 30, 2015 7:06 AM

Jan 2013
That was a very close call, they barely lost their entire headquarters to an Angel that could evolve itself at rapid speed.
We know a bit more about the Magi system aswell now.
Jun 13, 2015 10:01 PM

Sep 2014
Dive into the Magi. Ep 13

Pros:

-Plot: What starts at testing become a sci-fi race to the finish when Iruel, a nanomachine Angel infects the super comp of NERV. There's much in the ways of techno babble but watchers can grasp that this Angel is a fast little virus and that the 3 brains of Magia re Ritsuko's mother.

-Character: Ritsuko is the star here. Her mighty brain is on the clock not only trying to make new advancements for the Eva but also to combat Iruel. She also shows hypercritical analysis of herself and a grudge against her mother.

The mother in question is a bit of a mythical character due to her contributions to NERV. What is most telling is the construction of the MAGi. The woman, the scientist, and the mother. THe mother and scientist were taken but the woman managed to prevail. The side Ritsuko hated.

-Music/Atmosphere: The ost plays well with tense situations.

5/5. It was a good showing of the NERV crew without the pilots and has some good foreshadowing for later.

PS Words to remember:
Auto-evolution
Evolutionary dead-end
Caspar as the Woman Ritsuko hated.
And finally: Ikari you jerk!

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jun 18, 2015 4:12 PM

Dec 2009
Eh, every episode can be called Angel Invasion. It's not as interesting as it first was need to switch up the template a bit.
Such junk...
Jul 10, 2015 6:46 AM

Jan 2014
Was that cool af or was it cool af?!! :D :D :D
Those ladies are such cool programmers awww :')
And they also saved their base with their skills :')
I hope we'll see more about Ritsuko's mother.
And those Magis, because they are so cool :D
Aug 13, 2015 3:23 PM

Aug 2015
Fun to have an episode involving an Angel, but defeating it without using an Eva. Other than that fact, it was just an okay episode. ★3/5
Oct 27, 2015 10:23 PM

Apr 2014
It's interesting how these Angels manage to steadily make their way closer to NERV to the point where they were able to infiltrate the heart of their enemy. Do they have a hive mind, or are they perhaps even all linked to one mind? What is it exactly are pursuing and why? Do all Angels possess the same intellectual capacity, or was this one just more intelligent than the others?

The way they stopped the Angel was by manipulating its evolutionary path in a way that would lead to self-destruction, an "evolutionary dead end". It's interesting that it was defeated by essentially stagnating and halting its progress and advancement.

Wow so the personality of Ritsuko's mother was transplanted into NERV's central computers. It's also interesting how each also corresponded with a different personality: The Woman, The Scientist, The Mother. It's also interesting how each computer in the Magi system were in fact named after the three biblical Magi who made a journey to visit Jesus after his birth and offered three gifts which according to an interpretation were a symbol of kingship on Earth, a symbol of deity, and a symbol of death. The Angel, through the utilization of the Magi, would have brought forth "gifts" of its own in a sense. Also, why did was The Woman the only one not to fall and what is the symbolism behind this?

The talk of evolution and the Magi in this episode brought to mind some other things:

-Adam is the first human according to Abrahamic religions (of which the Magi also belong under)
-"Instrumentality" is defined as "the fact or quality of serving as an instrument or means to an end".
-Angels in religion are God's messengers.
-Eva would be the Latinate counterpart of "Eve".
-The Magi computer that represented The Woman did not fall to the Angel. Had it done so, humanity's sanctuary would have fallen as well.
-NERV HQ consists of a self-contained geosphere, so theoretically it could become the center of humanity's revival should the rest of the surface world be completely obliterated.
-The Garden of Eden can be considered a sanctuary, a template of what God intended, and/or paradise according to some interpretations.
-The Serpent was Satan (who also masquerades as an "angel of light") and tempted Eve (the woman) which ultimately led to her and Adam (both representing humanity) being cast away from paradise. The computer that represented The Woman did not fall to the Angel, was not tempted by the Angel, and thus the humans remained in their garden. However, since they're in opposition to Angels, then the symbolic interpretation may not work outside of this particular context.
-The three pilots were naked while the "angel" had tried to "tempt" the woman. Adam and Eve were naked in their garden. Adam and Eve were also innocent and pure before their exile, and youth is also associated with those two labels. This comparison is a serious stretch though.
-One of the Eva unit's arm moved by itself due to the Angel's presence ("temptation"), however its arm was ejected in order to prevent some immediate catastrophe as it reached out. NO APPLE FOR YOU EVE DON'T LISTEN TO THE ANGEL OF LIGHT.
-The inability to adequately adapt and evolve could eventually result in extinction according to Natural Selection.
-"Human Instrumentality" implies something along the lines of using humans as a whole to achieve some some kind of greater end.
-Angels are nearly identical to humans in "waveform pattern" (so like DNA?)

I'm getting a serious vibe of "ascendance/transcendence" that has to do with the origin of humanity, but all of the symbolism and human genesis references aren't really concrete enough for me to draw any speculations as of yet, or maybe they're all just symbolism used to provoke thought but not actually reveal anything. Still pretty cool how they all go along that kind of theme though. I don't have deep knowledge of theology, so there's a possibility that I got some of the interpretations wrong, but at a high level I don't think I was too far off.
ZeroDragonOct 28, 2015 12:01 AM
Dec 30, 2015 6:21 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5

Background on the MAGI computer system. I've always enjoyed this episode. It's silly from a programming standpoint, but it's still cool.

There continue to be little details that can't really be appreciated the first time this is watched.
Jan 27, 2016 5:24 PM

Jul 2013
My concentration was off and on. Probably missed important character development.
Up to this episode I was at a 9/10 for this anime, but it's gone down to an 8 now.

RyanBebop said:
Eh, every episode can be called Angel Invasion. It's not as interesting as it first was need to switch up the template a bit.

100% agree with you. Shit is getting repetitive now. Every episode there's one Angel attacking the city, and it's easily dealt with, within like 1-3 minutes.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

197 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 22, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

232 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 21, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

264 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 21, 7:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.